[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else feel like there's more to deja vu? When
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: 601.jpg (10 KB, 620x250) Image search: [Google]
601.jpg
10 KB, 620x250
Does anyone else feel like there's more to deja vu? When ever I do have a deja vu moment, I can tell what's going to happen in the next 5-10 seconds based on the false memory. How is this possible? I can understand how I can think I've done something before as it's happening, but how can I remember something that hasn't happened yet?
>>
>>17836610
How about you use one of the threads that are already up?
>>
>>17836612
Because I didn't search for other threads regarding deja vu before making this post.

This is literally my first time on /x/
>>
>>17836610
>I can tell what's going to happen in the next 5-10 seconds
thats just how it feels like to almost everyone. You just think that way because of the faulty memory
>>
>>17836610
It gets weirder. There is yet another layer to it.

Has anyone else, when experiencing deja vu, also get the sense that there is another "you" outside of yourself commenting on what is going on? Sometimes there is someone else present too (like a friend or family member that you've been spending time with at the time of the deja vu, whether they are physically present with "current you" or not.)

This has happened to me many times, and it really fucks me up. Maybe it's my future/higher self? I feel like maybe we get to direct things in our lives, either before or after we've been here.
>>
>>17836640
My thought process always feels like my brain is commenting on things that are going on
>>
>>17836666
> checked

Yeah, but there's my thoughts, and then there's those of another me overlapping them. It's not like a normal stream of consciousness
>>
>>17836610
Steins;Gate
>>
>>17836630
But how? How can our brain trick us into thinking that we've already seen something that hasn't happened yet?
>>
>>17836691
Most people will tell you it's nothing more than a brain glitch (you can look it up, though I don't think it's really fully explained how it works).

But I say it's a time glitch.
>>
>>17836610

Deja Vu is just a glitch in your brain. Usually it's eyes to brain to thoughts, but with deja vu it's brain to thoughts to eyes. Its a slip of the conscious mind, you're involuntary function of eyesight turns voluntary. So when you finally catch up it feels like you've seen the future.
>>
>>17836610
learn to lurk before posting
>>
>>17836812
What if you are blind?
>>
If you have de ja vous often, you need to get checked for a brain tumor.
>>
Responses were removed. Agents of disinfo about.
>>
File: 1444686618109.jpg (648 KB, 514x554) Image search: [Google]
1444686618109.jpg
648 KB, 514x554
There appears to be a certain notion that either deja vu is "just a slip of your brain functions" or "something supernatural" in the order of time travel and out of body consciousness. I think the first answer is diminshing of what the deja vu is saying to us and the second answer is purely imaginary.

Scientifically, the deja vu is this crossed path in our brain between what we perceive and what we remember, so that the present moment feels as if were a recollection. Other aspects of the event entail: the sensation that someone is describing what is going on for you, because memory organizes itself in this narrative form, as if told by another, or the sensation of being able to predict the future, because you feel you know the present as past (all knowledge is about past, the present deflects knowledge) and so the future will seem to be like a present experience to you. So far so good.

Some people believe that deja vus don't really exist, that you have the sensation because you actually have lived that situation before in your lifetime, or dreamed it, imagined it, etc, and you just forgot you did. Others think it is a paranormal gate to previous lives, in other words, that you have lived something similar in a previous life that you have no access to in an ordinary day. Both appeals to same notion that the deja vu is a valid remembrance, just that it is devoid of the awareness necessary for us to recognize it as such. The lie would be that this moment is new. The scientific explanation goes the other way, saying it is a regular new moment in your life that you are mistaking it for memory, that this memory that is the lie.

cont
>>
File: 1433708736415.gif (558 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
1433708736415.gif
558 KB, 500x395
>>17837059 cont

But what tools do we have to differentiate one from the other? More importantly, why would it be a case of some truth and some lie that ought to be distinguished if the very notions of present and memory are so slippery in ordinary life? Isn't our memory always in the realm of fiction, not that they are lies, but always a retelling and a reconstruction of something that is not there anymore? And isn't the present, by its very nature, impossible to hold on to? The point that I'm getting is that, instead of trying to understand what precisely configures truth from lie in the phenomenon of deja vu, should we not see it as part of this ongoing fiction of our inner experience? In other words, not to seek the end of the explanation on how the deja vu occurs, but mainly, why it occurs. Why do we feel the deja vu?

Going back to the beggining: the deja vu mixes up present for past. This is all we need. The following question is: why would you mix present for past? Why be in that place? The trick that you are subject to is telling you something. Perhaps a necessity to remember your life that is slipping into the present, or some present that you are trying not to experience through remembering it, some inner transformation in your consciousness that you are in the process of adapting, just like a high pitch voice may occasionally slip from a teenager whose voice is changing. It's not so much that the living room with your cat on the couch and that person in that position must necessarily be a particularly important moment to you, but the deja vu at that point might be a misfire of something, a sign of what is going on in a larger scope of the events in your life. It might also be about that particular moment, just as it is important to notice (or even to take note) of words that may spark that deja vu sensation.

cont
>>
File: 27889.jpg (94 KB, 1100x700) Image search: [Google]
27889.jpg
94 KB, 1100x700
>>17837062
Anyway, I think that more important than to try to develop an universal answer to what deja vu might be, it is to realize that these deja vus may serve as tools to observe yourself, your surroundings and the ever present metamorphosis of both.
>>
>>17837059
>>17837062
>>17837066
Very interesting anon, thanks for the input.
>>
>>17836610 (OP)
How about you use one of the threads that are already up?
>>
>>17836610
Deja Vu always terrifies me, it leaves me with a sense of dread that something bad is going to happen soon.
>>
>>17836626
Hopefully your last
>>
I will add to this by saying I once had a very strange and for me, unexplainable experience with deja-vu.

6 years ago I was on a road trip to Washington DC. It had been a few days into the sightseeing when one night I had a strangely specific dream.

I was walking down a marble staircase, looking down. I reached a plateau between the two sets of stairs. I turned left to follow the next set. Walking left to right in a large room was a professionally dressed woman in all black. Her coat was on the long side, but my memory at this point is too blurry to recall just how long.

To her left [and to my front] was a white wall. No one else was in the room.

I wake up, recall the dream and shrug it off, thinking about who the woman might be. Today the whole family was going to the Smithsonian, I think it was the Ocean Hall. One of the group has to go to the restroom. We stay behind to look at a few more things and catch up, hoping to catch her on the way out.

I descend a large marble staircase, looking down at the steps. I reach a plateau, and turn left.

A woman in professional, all black clothing walks from left to right.

This makes me stop in my tracks and stare for a few seconds, wondering what it meant. I distinctly remembered the dream from earlier, and still do to this day. Until someone can explain how I can have a dream, remember it enough to ponder it, then experience an exact parallel of that very same dream in real life, I will continue to question the idea that all deja vu is explainable.
>>
>>17840069
Everything is explainable, anon. Sometimes we just haven't gotten there yet.

Yours clearly had an element of precognition, though, because of the dream beforehand.

But now I wonder if all cases also involve dreams that just happen to have been completely forgotten until the moment deja vu strikes. Hmm.
>>
I like to keep dream journals and write down most of my dreams. Whenever I experience intense dejavu I read through the dream journals and more often then not, find the event came to me in a dream.
Never anything major though. Last one I was in a laboratory on a university excursion and had kicked spilled a can of coca-cola on the floor.
>>
>>17836828
Real life asshole spotted. Probably a summerfag, who took time out of his day to make sure not to inconvenience anyone else. A white knight.
>>
>>17836612
>>17836828
>>17837996
>>17839744
You guys are rude
>>
>>17840069
Ihave a similar experience anon, I really really wish that someone would explain the "dream" type of Deja vu, because I really can't understand it.
All my "premonition" dreams happen a long while before it actually happens, so the theory about your brain catching up or whatever can't apply.
The only thing I can think of is your unconscious brain has the ability to super predict something that's gonna happen to a crazy degree, kind of like how people don't know the extent of the brains power or something
>>
>>17836610
Deja vu has been explained by science.

Your brain saves short term and long term memories in their own separate files.

What you just did goes short term and gets delered, unless studied to remember, where it gets transferred to long term memory.

But sometimes your brain has a mini, non-harmful seizure and will record your short term memory under long term, making you think this happened in the past.

Crazy right?
>>
>>17836691
>>17846137
>>
>>17836640
I once experienced it where I was relayed a memory of turning around talking to a friend, and when I turned around to realize he wasn't there I felt incredibly out of place in my existence.
>>
Every time I had a deja-vu moment it was because I dreamed it before. In fact, everytime I get that feeling, I don't think "I've seen this before", I think "I've dreamt this.".

But all of those were just banal things and usually only a couple seconds long.
>>
>>17836610
basically I'm in the same boat as you OP
it's one of the very few things that makes me think there's more to life than what we see
>>
>Deja vu being a brain malfunction?
>Lol fuck you I'm psychic

I miss x when it wasn't shit
>>
>>17847743
Lol fuck you I'm psychic
>>
I don't fucking know.

What happens with me is that when I go to sleep I see still images of shit that'll happen in the future i.e holding a pencil and reading some book, and then it happens.

I dunno if it's deja vu or i'm a psychic.
>>
>>17836640
doesn't really sound like, but try "sehnsucht"
>>
>>17836812
But there are times when im randomly zoning out/day dreaming about random events that eventually end up happening a couple years down the line.
How do you explain that?
>>
>>17836630
>>17846137

>>17848504
>>
>>17836610
>how can I remember something that hasn't happened yet?
But it has.
>>
File: 1466788230545.jpg (372 KB, 1346x1795) Image search: [Google]
1466788230545.jpg
372 KB, 1346x1795
you have just time traversed aka switched dimensions.
>>
>>17837066
brilliant, i came here to post this but in a much blunter fashion. deja vu is a slip out of the collective and back into the oversoul. it's our own little taste of supreme consciousness and too much at this present time for our bodies to handle. it is a start though, the engine spluttering as we begin.
>>
OP is a fag
>>
OP is a fag

Woah! Deja vu.
>>
Deja vu definitely isn't just a brain freeze to me. I've had many dreams that were about completely generic events happening. I would wake up thinking how boring the dream was only to have that happen in waking life months later.
One time at the end of primary or during high school, though, I had a dream about sitting in an unknown class in an unknown school, surrounded by people I didn't know and doing something, only to have that exact scene acted out several years later in university. You can't convince me it's just my brain making it up on spot.
>>
>>17851165
>>17848504
>>17848144
>>17847699
>>17846034
>>17842372
>>17840188
>>17840069
I have had the exact same thing happen to me many times,and still when i have the dream i doubt,and still when i live the event i'm fucking terrified for the next vision i have.
what if i see myself dying or something terrible happening?I know already that i cannot stop one of these dreams from happening,ive tried quite a few times quite desperately,but they happen nonetheless.
Can this be controlled?
Surely this is a power beyond reckoning,if only we could harness it,bend it to the will.
Where would you even start to try?
Will it drive us mad if directed?
Why is there no information on developing this incredible skill?
I just wish I had someone to guide me through this,I feel so lost..
>>
>>17851199
I don't think there is a way to control it, it's a vision of future; destiny.
>>
>>17848224

Holy shit. Thank you.

Not OP, but I used to get a sensation when I was younger like I was homesick even though I was at my own house. I had a really hard time explaining it to others or understanding it myself.

Experienced it once in the past 6 months and had almost forgotten about the sensation, because it's been years since I have felt it.

I think is this word. Glad to know I'm not alone.
>>
Every time I take mushrooms I always get extended periods of deja vu.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.