[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non-Stereotypical Animes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11
File: 1424818472979.jpg (839 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1424818472979.jpg
839 KB, 1920x1080
No pointless fan-service, or other nonsense that normally drives people away from anime.

Bonus points if serious/depressing
>>
File: scan81.jpg (983 KB, 1214x1627) Image search: [Google]
scan81.jpg
983 KB, 1214x1627
>>9705
Serial Experiments Lain
Ghost in Shell
Texhnolyze
>>
>>9705
What have already seen, OP?
>>
>>9705
>Elfenlied

Ok, I'll be nice today.

>Redline
>Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
>One Punch Man
>Hajime no Ippo
>Summer Wars
>Steins;Gate
>>
>>9724
ElfenLied
Ghost in the Shell
Requiem for the Phantom
Wolf's Rain
And even though it's kinda like heresy, Season 1 of Death Note

So somewhere in that vein.

I've seen a bunch more though, just outside of this criteria.
>>
File: annodickingaround.gif (2 MB, 260x196) Image search: [Google]
annodickingaround.gif
2 MB, 260x196
I might get shit on because of this but seriously, Evangelion, especially the film.
>>
>>9795
Seconding 'Lain'
Neon Genesis Evangelion + End of Evangelion
Paranoia Agent
Perfect Blue (film)
>>9813
I don't see why you would. OP hasn't seen it and it's priority #1
>>
File: Mushishi.jpg (61 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
Mushishi.jpg
61 KB, 620x349
Mushishi.
>>
>>9921
Is Next Passage any good?

I heard some anons say that season Next Passage wasn't good.
>>
File: Kaiser Nishimura.png (319 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Kaiser Nishimura.png
319 KB, 640x480
SUBARASHIKU ATSUI NAMIDA
HITO WA KOKORO NI TAMETEIRU
KIMI GA YUKU MICHI O SAEGIRU
OMOKU MUNASHII IKUSA TSUDZUKOUTO
YUME O KOROSUNA YUME O OUNDA
HARUKA GINGA NO KAGAYASHI O
UTSUSU NAMIDA DE HOHO O MURASHITE
YOROKOBERU HI O
HIKARI NO HASIO O KOETE
KOKORO O HADAKA NISHITE
HIKARI NO HASHI O KOETE
NAMIDA TO AI O TOKI HANASHITE
>>
>>9930
Just watch the damn thing and shiver like you used to.
>>
I liked monster
>>
>>9705
Madoka Magica and Claymore, I guess
>>
>>9731
One punch man isn't that good
>>
>>9731
these are exactly what op is trying to get away from
>>
>>9711
>>9817
>>9921
>>9953
these
>>
Shiki
>>
Not a single mention of Legend of the Galactic Heroes? The fuck is wrong with y'all? Anyway, you should definitely watch that one and Neon Genesis Evangelion. They're your top priorities.

Other than that, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Mushishi and Ping Pong the Animation are some other really good ones.
>>
File: welcome to the nhk.jpg (130 KB, 636x467) Image search: [Google]
welcome to the nhk.jpg
130 KB, 636x467
Going against the grain a little bit, I recommend Welcome to the NHK.

This show uses all the stuff that you said you dislike about anime, like fanservice and other nonsense that normally drives people away from anime to condemn the practice of using it in a way that I think you might like.

Feel free to drop it if you don't, of course. Give it two episodes and see if it hooks you. It's basically "stop being /r9k/" the anime.
>>
>>10303
(NOT OP)
The "stop being /r9k/" part interests me... Do you think it'd help an r9k tier person ?
>>
>>10322
It won't fix them all by itself, but it definitely helps in terms of getting somebody to look at themself in the mirror. Whether or not they decide to make an effort to fix their life is up to them after that.

Which SPOILERS (wish there were spoiler tags on /wsr/): is a lesson the anime shows you because at one point they show another character just like the protagonist who does not get better because they're the sort of person who reads a self help book and then doesn't apply anything except to make their well meaning friends feel stupid.
>>
>>9921
sí papí
>>
File: anime-excell-02.1301223261588.jpg (1 MB, 2004x1661) Image search: [Google]
anime-excell-02.1301223261588.jpg
1 MB, 2004x1661
At least there's a separate board for this now.
>>
Kaiba
>>
normalfag anime general
>>
>>10656
Yup. Isn't it great to have a containment board for it?
>>
>>10303
Well, thanks anon. I'll definitely watch it.
>>
>>10656
more like edgefag general
>>
>>10656
>Isn't a cum sucking weeaboo
>must be a normal fag
lol, ok.
>>
File: 23.png (492 KB, 800x473) Image search: [Google]
23.png
492 KB, 800x473
>>9705

The perfect insider
Ergo Proxy
Gilgamesh

>>10656

Fuck off /a/
>>
Assuming you're an animu noob for asking this question so...

Lain, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent, Death Note...

Movies: Jin Roh, Grave of the Fireflies, Hadashi no Gen, Perfect Blue, Akira...
>>
>>9795
You're dark and an edgy faggot, so watch Berserk, Shigurui, Genocyber, Parasyte, Darker than Black and Texhnolyze.
>>
>>9813
Is that his henshin?
>>
>>9921
More like... MushiSHT
>>
File: wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.gif (954 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.gif
954 KB, 500x281
Mawaru Penguindrum.
White Album 2.
Serial Experiments Lain.
Ergo Proxy.
Nana.
>>
File: 1427314334042.jpg (10 KB, 292x215) Image search: [Google]
1427314334042.jpg
10 KB, 292x215
>>11099
Not dark and edgy, I just find that the whole "ONII-CHAN", pointless upskirt, watermelon tits, mandatory hot spring scene, bullshit filler isn't really worth watching anymore.

I'd rather have a solid story that isn't bogged down by all that shit. It's like rehashing the formula just to appease the dudes that think it adds value. So I'd rather step away from that, and from my experience the series that take on a generally dark and serious tone avoid the cringe.

But I'm sure /a/ in all of it's wisdom will say the excluding the bullshit is dumb because we should all embrace loli-pantsu-UGGGUUU-kawaii elements in order to be a REAL fan. But it just comes off more as a cheap nod as opposed to a productive element imo.

But thanks to the people who suggested some. There were a few mentioned that I wanted to check out already, so I'll put that to work.
>>
>>12688
That describes very few anime, so way to make yourself look worse than /a/. An impressive feat, considering they're awful.
>>
>>9930
Oh no, some anons didn't like something! I guess you'd better trust their opinion and never watch it!
>>
I really have to recommend Hunter x Hunter 2011 for this criteria. I know what you're thinking, you're probably looking at the protagonist and going "Haha, yeah right." I know because I was the same way. But I gave it a shot and found out that I really am a fool for judging things based on appearances. It is one of the most non-stereotypical shows I have ever seen. It also does in fact get very dark and depressing as it goes on, so it's got that going for it to. Please just give it a few episodes; I guarantee you'll be hooked and won't need any convincing to continue it.
>>
Lupin III.
>>
Zankyou no terror
Shinsekai Yori
Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider
Hellsing
Evangelion
Btooom! (okayish)
Kyousou Giga (style is non stereotypical)
>>
Shin Sekai Yori

Neon Genesis Evangelion + End of Evangelion + movies if you really like Evangelion. Super serious suffering and depression.

Steins;Gate might seem typical anime but it's not. Trust. Will make you feel, but it's a bit latent.

Code Geass has a couple questionable moments but beyond that it's pretty serious, again, depression, but not Evangelion teir.
>>
>>10620
So is that suppose to be from best ti worse?
>>
The Tatami Galaxy
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.