[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pc crash help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: evga970-1b.jpg (178 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
evga970-1b.jpg
178 KB, 1920x1080
yo /wsr/ I have a crashing issue I haven't solved.
My PC isn't 8 months old yet, but suddenly I have an issue where my system will just shut down, as if it lost power, mid game. The most consistent I have it happening is as soon as I go to load into a Fallout 4 game it dies. I completely wiped and updated my 970 drivers, but it hasn't fixed it.
Ideas?
>>
>>93613
>shut down
as in; complete power down?
Post specs
>check heat
... and try a different psu if you have one available
>>
>>93613
yeah if it's literally an instant power-off shut down, it's virtually always overheating or a defective power supply. get speedfan or some other utility to keep track of temps and see where they're at when play a game (you can google your CPU/GPU suggested temperatures).

could be as simple as opening the case up and cleaning out a shitload of dust
>>
>>93615
It sounds like power cuts out completely, then a few seconds later boots back up without my input. I don't have another psu around, but the heat in the system is fine everytime.

Windows 10 x64
16 GB ram
gtx 970
intel i1-4790k
EVGA gold 650W psu

anything else?
>>
>>93617
would the defective power supply make it consistently shut down when doing the same operation?
>>
do you have something logging the temperatures, or has it happened while you were looking at the temperatures? because it's quite possible for your machine to overheat, protectively power off/restart, and have cooled down to what seems like an acceptable level before you're about get back into windows and check again. make sure you can confirm that it's not overheating right when the shutdowns occur before you rule it out

if it's always automatically rebooting, go into your bios and find an option for "automatically reboot after power failure" or similar.
>>
>>93648
fucking hotkeys went nuts and posted halfway through

>if it's always automatically rebooting, go into your bios and find an option for "automatically reboot after power failure" or similar.
and if it's set to do so, TURN THAT OFF and then try to cause the issue again. if it now turns off and STAYS off, it's probably a power supply issue
>>
>>93651
I'll try that now. Thanks.
>>
File: 14597140180341692319025.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
14597140180341692319025.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>93651
You mean this? It was already off. So it's a heat issue?
>>
>>93661
Oh thanks mobile.
>>
>>93661
yeah that's the one. so yeah it probably is a heat issue. like i said, get a monitoring app that has logging and use the logging, and then trigger the problem again and check the logs to make sure it's not spiking.

if it really isn't heat, then it's gonna be a lot more nebulous because i dont know what the fuck problems could be going on with a relatively new OS, game, and all the driver-system-etc bullshit that goes with that.
>>
>>93665
Do you recommend any specific logger?
>>
>>93667
the last time I had to I used speedfan, which can be sort of obtuse but there's instructions here

http://superuser.com/questions/412763/is-there-an-application-to-log-component-temperatures-to-file

along with a couple other recommended apps i'm not familiar with
>>
>>93671
Alrighty I'll work on it more. This has given me direction thanks.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.