[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Securing unsafe USB drive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1446974735247.jpg (28 KB, 426x282) Image search: [Google]
1446974735247.jpg
28 KB, 426x282
Hello, Wizards.
I have a USB stick with potentially malicious files on it but I need to connect it to my safe computer to transfer the files to my virtual machine.
I have disabled autorun but is there anything else that could cause the files to automatically run from the USB stick as soon as it gets connected?
>>
>>92887
Antivirus software should be able to work
>>
>>92915
No, not at all.
>>
>>92887
maybe boot into a linux disc
>>
>>92922
Most god tier antivirus detect in real time. Even ransomwares
>>
>>92927
I know, there is McAfee Firewall or whatever it's called. It handles file actions likewise and is very great at stopping malicious files.
But I am asking what I can do so it's not even possible to autorun a file off my USB and have it infect my PC.
>>
>>92923
Not a bad suggestion but even it doesn't make it impossible for my original Windows OS to get infected by the USB, I assume.
>>
>>92946
Linux is a sandbox, so you'll be perfectly fucking fine.
>>
>>92946
"safe computer" would imply you don't care if it gets infected because you can always reset it or replace it with a backup

if you're that worried, take out the windows drive
>>
>>92953
No, safe computer means that it's a computer that I don't want to use for any unsafe purposes, such as executing unknown or potentially malicious files.
>>
>>92946
Your Windows partition should be fine because a linux live cd would run off ram. Like >>92951 says, it'd be like an isolated sandbox.
>>
>>92966
if you don't have another system to plug it into, pull the drive, boot into linux, and copy or move whatever
>>
>>92946
If you are worried, just disconnect your hard drive when booting into linux.
>>
>>93009
Okay, that seems to be good, but that's kind of complicated when all I want to do is move a few files.
>>
>>92887
Use a virtualisation solution that isn't a giant piece of shit, and connect the USB device directly to the VM.
>>
File: trojan002.jpg (245 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
trojan002.jpg
245 KB, 1680x1050
autorun was disabled after XP. if you plug it into a windows 7 machine you'll be okay AS LONG AS you don't double-click on anything there.

i would use a graphic shell like ACDsee to look at the drive - it'll show hidden files - and to MOVE them about. don't use any windows apps to VIEW them, because that may not be a picture or a word document - it might be an executable.

pic related, it's me looking at a thumbdrive using ACDsee, with trojans all over it.
>>
File: 23742.png (265 KB, 619x702) Image search: [Google]
23742.png
265 KB, 619x702
can someone photoshop this picture please ?
here is the png : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/13/1459441559-charlie-png-lole.png
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.