[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /wsr/ I'm in quite the pickle, as you can see. I just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 20160316_152644[1].jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160316_152644[1].jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
Hi /wsr/

I'm in quite the pickle, as you can see. I just bought a new PSu, GPU and Case and salvaged some parts (namely the MoBo/CPU, HDD and CD player) of my mother's computer desk.

The thing is, her computer was a Dell and I don't think it was quite meant to be taken apart. I put the PSu in the old build, as I got it a week before the case and GPU, and everything worked fine. Now, I took everything apart and transfered it into the new case and I have two problems :

1.I can't boot the PC with the new case's button as I don't know which pins on my F_Panel I need to put the Power SW in. I tried googling for a diagram and it didn't help. Also tested with a screwdriver, to no avail.

I can get it to booth if I take the old case's power button and plug it in the F_Panel, which is a temporary fix, but it'll have to do for now.

2. When I am able to boot up the PC, my screen is all black. Now, I've tried with the old GPU, with the new GPU, with the on-board GPU, with another screen, and my screen is still black.

My friend told me to try and boot it outside of a case, which I did (and which is what you can see), and nothing changed.

3. I can't run a compatibility check because, since the MoBo is a custom-made by Dell, no website with a compatibility checker has it in its database

Thank you for your help

Specs:

CPU : Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz
MoBo : Dell XPS 8500 Vostro 470 motherboard DH77M01 NW73C 0NW73C CY0629 0CY0629 YJPT1 0YJPT1
GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB
PSu : EVGA Supernova B2 850w
HDD : Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
>>
Plug in the bios speaker and check the beep code (if there is one)

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN293445/en
>>
File: 20160316_160735[1].jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160316_160735[1].jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
>>80464

I don't have a bios speaker either, but the LED isn't flashing at all. It's "Solid Amber" but it has always been, even within the old build.
>>
>>80464
Nevermind, there's an integrated speaker. It's not beeping at all. I removed all the RAM and it started beeping, so yeah...
>>
>>80471
The RAM is loose. Put in 1 stick and make sure it's completely locked into place.

Don't being a limp wristed faggot
>>
>>80478

All the RAM is back in place, I mean I took out the RAM to test out the speaker and it turns out there was one integrated and it started beeping to tell me there was no RAM. So logically, if the BIOS had detected a previous problem, it would have beeped sooner.
>>
>>80471
No beep at all doesn't sound optimal either.
I don't know about Dell boards though.
>>
>>80487
Yeah, at least if it beeped we would be clear on wat's not working.

I've been trying to fix this for 24h. Should I give up and go to a PC store?
>>
>>80508
You misunderstand.
>The computer POST (power-on self-test) checks a computer's internal hardware for compatibility and connection before starting the remainder of the boot process. If the computer passes the POST, the computer may give a single beep (some computers may beep twice) as it starts and continue to boot. However, if the computer fails the POST, the computer will either not beep or generate a beep code that tells the user the source of the problem.
>>
>>80513
Oh, well, it's not indicated what no beeps at all mean. I think that's the worst-case scenario.
>>
Bump, I need your help guys ;_;
>>
>>80516
My guess is that the mobo is faulty but that's just a guess.
Maybe ask in the /sqt/ thread on /g/ too.
>>
>>80541

I could have broken it while trying to take it out or put it in?

Shit, if I have to buy a new MoBo, does that mean I need a new CPu too?
>>
>>80547
You can use any other 1155 socket mobo.
>>
>>80555

I guess I'll have to. But damn will I be pissed if that wasn't the problem.
>>
>>80539
>>80469
test your mb in a surface not made of metal...
google: how to clear bios, search for info in dell website with your service tag (is on your old case) them:
clear bios
remove ram and cpu
turn board on (shortening the pwr pins)
turn off
put back cpu
turn on and listent to beep code (beep code its a good signal)
turn of
put one ram dimm only (dimm 0)
plug monitor, and turn on
if you see something youre ready to go
if not buy a new mb compatible with your cpu and ram (sorry for my bad english)
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.