[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me, /wsr/. All I want in life is a plain-assed ordinary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: DSC04143.jpg (143 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DSC04143.jpg
143 KB, 640x480
Help me, /wsr/. All I want in life is a plain-assed ordinary desktop case, which mounts a standard ATX motherboard longitudinally and has slots for two optical drives and one (or more) floppy drives. There is exactly one case fitting this specification on newegg, and it comes with an integrated power supply that I don't need and is apparently shit. I also want it to be beige and not black or white or covered in performance enhancing LEDs. I'd just buy a rackmount case, but I need to fit a large GPU in it and 4U cases are expensive and loud. Is there anything out there, or do I have to buy a broken 486 and throw out the internals and fabricate mounts for everything?
>>
>>6408
Horizontal desktop cases have long gone out of fashion, sad to say. I think part of it has to do with how modern CPU coolers work.
>>
>>6408
it's no wonder you can't find something so ugly and outdated. newsflash OP, you have terrible taste
>>
>>7924
They're actually good, because they are stable on a desk and you can put things on top of them.
>>
>>6408
What's your problem, look on
newegg.com
tigerdirect.com
I've dealt with them both personally and they're above board companies.
>>
>>6408
Nobody is going to go through your specs and price shit out for you. Don't be a lazy cunt, show some effort go to those two websites that I mentioned before, or maybe this one...
this isn't rocket science. A lot of horizontal cases are still manufactured and sold for a lot of very large companies.

http://www.frys.com/category/Outpost/PC+Components/Cases/
>>
>>6408
>floppy drives
Well aren't you a memer.

If you're going for the retro look, using an old PC and redoing the mounts is your safest bet. If you just want to save space get a tablet you tremorous faggot.
>>
>>6408
Your best bet will probably be to get a random Pentium 2/3 system with a desktop case since this is when the ATX standard first became popular, and because that particular formfactor largely went out of style in the Pentium 4 era.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 265x265) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 265x265
>>6408
Why don't you just buy the thing in your picture?

The ATX form factor hasn't changed in 15 years, so your motherboard and PSU will fit perfectly. You won't be able to use most aftermarket coolers, because the case won't be tall enough.

You won't be able to get a modern case like this, because all the manufacturers of desktops decided ATX was too big, and started making their own.
>>
>>8485
>ATX
>desktop case
>has slots for two optical drives
>I need to fit a large GPU in it

Pick three.

ATX desktops aren't tall enough to fit two opticals on top of each other, so they have to go side-by-side.

If they're side-by-side, the second one necessarily goes where the first cardslot extends into.

AT and XT desktops had stacked 5.25" bays for the floppy drives, but they won't accomodate an ATX backplate, and the standoffs will all be wrong.
>>
File: user662_pic11917_1363714369.jpg (24 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
user662_pic11917_1363714369.jpg
24 KB, 500x374
>>8165
yep. like putting a monitor on the right height, this requires a standard height of the case, about 10cm.

Compaqs still got solid designs, even for 90ès machines. too bad the 2110 doesn't fit standard ATX without some modding.

>>8485
this. i hate it when brands like Dell bring their own form factors, making their shit impossible to upgrade. also i almost purchased a HP Z200 mini-station recently for someone in need of a working PC... ...glad i didn't.
>>
File: nesnesnesnesnes.jpg (864 KB, 1137x1420) Image search: [Google]
nesnesnesnesnes.jpg
864 KB, 1137x1420
>>7423
what about ...A NES?
>>
>>8485
Could a person mod one of these to take a Mini ITX mobo? Shit would be fucking boss.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.