[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which gaming laptop to choose?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 2x84yzbq.png (416 KB, 1246x585) Image search: [Google]
2x84yzbq.png
416 KB, 1246x585
I know it's a dumb idea, but I'm traveling for a couple of years to live in a small dorm and don't want to take my 8 year old PC with me or build a new one because I want it to be portable. Gaming laptops are heavy but still portable.

So I've chosen two laptops and would like your help in choosing which is better.

I think that a lesser graphics card would be just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV7G6LE/ref=psdc_565108_t1_B00ZUQZRQ6 (gigabyte)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QZVAF2/ref=twister_B016ZYH1BU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 (asus)

One is a gigabyte laptop and the other an ASUS ROG laptop. Both have the same price point $1200-1250
Everything is the same except that the gigabyte laptop has a newer CPU and more VRAM for the gtx970m graphics card but has no Vsync and has less USB ports (2 3.0 vs 4 3.0 + 3.1 on ROG). The ROG also has superior and much quieter cooling.

A gtx970m with only 3GB would be enough for most newer games without AA on ultra or high.

Only redeemable thing on the Gigabyte that the CPU is better than the ROG laptop, i7-4710HQ vs the i7-5700HQ in the gigabyte laptop and the graphics card has more memory, but less RAM (8gb vs 16gb.)

Even though you can replace RAM, you can't replace/add faster USB ports and built-in Vsync. Essentially, the issue is:

i7-5700 HQ + 8gb ram + 6gb gtx970m + 2 USB 3.0 + No Vsync ---vs--- 17-4710HQ + 16gb ram + 3gb gtx970m + 4 USB 3.0 + USB 3.1 + Vsync.
They have the same number of hardr-drive bays (e.g. m2 supported), same screen quality (FHD/IPS), same HDD (7200 rpm 1BT), and both come with Winows (8.1 vs 10.)

Tough choice desu

Thoughts?
>>
>>78191

I don't know your situation but I'd build a mini or micro ATX computer if I were you.

As for those two laptops, I'd say take the ASUS one. I'm not sure you'll need 16gb of RAM but it's good to have for future games. Also, you could use a higher end i5 and still be good for gaming. The CPU doesn't really do much when you're gaming.

I'd suggest you check reviews on their drop resistance, fan speeds, temperatures and stuff like that, but I've heard good things about ASUS.
>>
>>78235
I'm inclined to agree with you.

I mean, as far as using the laptop to its maximum lifespan goes, I think the ROG will last me longer because it has more ram and has some better and more relevant technology, like USB 3.1, 16gb to comfortably support my carelessness regarding how many programs I have open, and a better cooler which ultimately helps the hardware last longer and prevent throttling. Vsync is nice too.

I guess I don't play that many games and I think 3gb would be juts fine for most games on high settings.

I originally wanted to get something with an i5 within my price-point of $1200-1250, and while most of them were cheaper, they had a gtx960 or gtx965 which is way worse than a gtx970 or were too expensive. I think the ASUS is a good deal, but desu I'd probably go with the gigabyte if it had more ram at that price. Especially since the ASUS laptops had a lot of reviews and customers who were discussion how they could fix this or that problem, while the review page for the gigabyte laptop were basically empty with one or two comments.

Thanks anon, I'm going with the ASUS. Hopefully I can order tomorrow and get it before the end of the week.
>>
bump for intrest
>>
File: BitFenix-Prodigy-Case.jpg (259 KB, 784x792) Image search: [Google]
BitFenix-Prodigy-Case.jpg
259 KB, 784x792
i5 and 970 desktop for $1000
and a $300 macbook pro
>>
>>78989
used of course, brand new are overpriced
>>
>>78255
>I mean, as far as using the laptop to its maximum lifespan goes,
Don't bother factoring future proofing in on your lifespan calculations, it's a gaming laptop, it'll fry itself before it's obsolete. There's a reason you don't see old gaming laptops man.
>>
>>78991
a 970m in a laptop is equivalent to a 670 card in a desktop. Laptops preform like 3 year old desktops.
>>
File: 20090403pmg5[1].jpg (27 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
20090403pmg5[1].jpg
27 KB, 400x533
>>78989
Cool case, bro.
>>
>>78191
Parts for a desktop as fast as those laptops would be less than $400 easily.
>>
>>78995
Again, that's absolutely meaningless if the laptop dies within three years, which it will because you're cramming something with a +100 watt TDP in a tiny area and hoping for the best. It just won't last.
>>
>>78998
With the money you save, you could hire a manservant to transport it.
>>
I customs built my laptop and it's great
>>
Are high-spec non-gaming laptops any better?
>>
>>79302
Better in that they do indeed look much better and are much lighter. You won't be gaming with anything recent on high/ultra though with a minimum of 30fps.

Gigabyte laptops hit the sweet spot between gaming and casual laptops as far as looks/weight is concerned imo.
>>
>>79302
You can find something cheaper or better spec'd if you forget about the graphics card/playing games beyond low/medium.
>>
Go with Lenovo IdeaPad Y-series.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.