[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark, serious, story-driven drama anime recommendations for a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: 1920x10802.jpg (907 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1920x10802.jpg
907 KB, 1920x1080
So, I'm looking for a drama anime series that meet these criteria:

> Dark and depressing
> Serious
> Characters are believable, with flaws, real motivations, and no edginess to them
> The story is written in a mature, non-cringey way
> Main characters aren't protected by "plot armor" - they can die or sustain permanent injuries of various degree at any moment in the story
> No bullshit, naive cliches like "the power of friendship overcomes all obstacles" and "if you believe hard enough, it'll come true"
> If there's violence or controversial topics touched upon, it has to have substance and not be thrown in just for the sake of it
> A complete experience - doesn't require reading any manga or playing any games to fully understand the story
> Preferably not too long

I've yet to find a series I'd like. I've tried some lesser known ones that usually get recommended in cases such as mine, like "Shinsekai Yori", "Now and Then, Here and There" and "Rainbow", and while they definitely come close, they always fail at one point or another and turn into naive edgefests. Any suggestions?
>>
>>45480
Looking for something hopeful yet depressing with latin flair? go watch Mitchiko & hatchin english dub.

After the First 4 episodes It get's reaaaaaly good. like top 3 IMO

Could not find ep 1 dub on youtube, here's ep 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlEoLeWGLoI

Also go check out Baccano! Murder mystery meets supernatural on a train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PObDkd1TTII
>>
>>45480
MONSTER
Aoi Bungaku Series
Perfect Blue
Grave of the fireflies
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is most of those things but its not super dark and depressing and its long
>>
Mawaru Penguindrum

Don't watch the dub though
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.