[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quick help with finding out the problem with my laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: c82_N13P-GL2-A1.jpg (56 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
c82_N13P-GL2-A1.jpg
56 KB, 250x250
It's a 2012 model ASUS K45VM with the GPU 630M. Here's the problems:

>idle GPU clock is stuck at 660mhz
>playing games downclocks it to 270mhz and gets stuck there
>GPU-Z says it's "limited by GPU utilization" when I'm trying to play and it's stuck at 270mhz (what this means?)
>not a heat issue

Things I've tried/tested:
>playing without the battery, laptop turns off when GPU starts functioning
>Integrated graphics functions normally while playing even without the battery
>clean install on drivers, tried other versions, none helped
>changed performance settings, none helped

I thought it was insufficient power supply, but the integrated graphics can run fine with a steady voltage.

Also, since this started happening, Windows been asking to activate (I already did that one year ago) and I can't open my anti virus for some reason. What are the chances of this being a malware problem?
>>
To elaborate, it's not overheating - the downclocking issue begins before it can even get to its usual temps (70c or so before this problem started). I've cleaned it two months ago so there's no dust clogging the air vents.

I'm wondering if it's some malware eating my resources on the background because hardware seems fine.
>>
>>38995
>>playing without the battery, laptop turns off when GPU starts functioning
>I thought it was insufficient power supply
You thought right.
>but the integrated graphics can run fine with a steady voltage.
Course it can. This is because Intel fabs at about a quarter of the feature size on Nvidia, with a corresponding reduction in power draw.

"Idle GPU clock" is wrong: the chip is actually fully off, and you're just seeing the speed it's rated to.

Your power supply is busted, and it's not delivering the power it's telling the laptop it's capable of.

Test it with a new brick first, and hope it's not the VRs on the laptop.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.