[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking to build a cheap PC for the sole purpose of watching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: CUrSGYuWoAAdpCU.png large.png (723 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
CUrSGYuWoAAdpCU.png large.png
723 KB, 640x800
Looking to build a cheap PC for the sole purpose of watching BD FLAC Rips of Anime. What is the absolute minimum I can spend on a computer to achieve this?

I'm not aware if today's toaster tier stuff can handle sub encodes
>>
>>2734
Siki is literally perfect. Best Senran kagura
>>
>>2734
If it's actual BD rips, then absolutely anything. Bluray is h.264, and even Atom/ION can decode that in hardware.

If they're reencoded, give up. No matter what you get, the vogue will change and your PC won't be able to play them any more. The absolute minimum I might consider for not-being-fucked-over-by-Daiz might be an i7 of some kind, probably a Skylake.
>>
File: patientbear.png (307 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
patientbear.png
307 KB, 500x333
http://www.logicalincrements.com/#!/
Is what I used to build my current tower.
>>
>>3247
Right, which is great for building gaming rigs, but would destitute on that site play 1080p 10bit mkv?
>>
>>3635
No, not even close.

Take their "Great" or "Excellent" Intel PCs, and remove the graphics card, the storage, and all but 2GB of the memory.

Boot OpenELEC off a USB stick, or a shucked preowned Xbox 360 hard disk (60GB hard disk, $5).
>>
>>3662
>>3635
(the thing that makes anime different is that it has ASS subtitles, which are extremely CPU-bound. If the typesetter has gone to town, he can make the subtitles take more decoding than the actual video.

A lot of this is inefficiency in the subtitler, specifically it re-rendering the exact same bitmap over and over again even though it was in the previous frame, and is re-used a hundred times in this frame as a shadow.

An efficient, caching subtitle renderer would be able to exchange memory for a drastic, several-orders-of-magnitude reduction in CPU usage. But that costs development time, and you-buying-a-better-CPU doesn't.)
>>
My previous (shitty) PC could easily handle everything you throw at it.

Core2 Duo @ 2.93
3GB RAM
GeForce 9500GT

You'd have to try very hard to make a computer that bad.
>>
>>2734
I'd suggest getting a laptop that has hdmi(or dvi if your monitor only has dvi)
The plus side is you can connect it to your tv when you feel like it.
>>
>>2734
Bro.
you can get a used business pc for like %80 that will fuckin wreck some videos
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-Thinkcentre-M90p-3853-SFF-Core-i5-3-2GHZ-4GB-RAM-Windows-7-Pro-/201488024544?hash=item2ee99f43e0:g:OycAAOSwys5WVRa-
>>
I think all you need is mpv to play those

My shitty laptop could play 10-bit just fine with it
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.