[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HxH 2011 VS 1999
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1450674077127.jpg (18 KB, 410x313) Image search: [Google]
1450674077127.jpg
18 KB, 410x313
I've seen this question on /a/ a lot and it just leads to shitposting and arguing. Can anyone who has watched both adaptations give me a list of pros / cons for the two before I decided what one I will go with.
>>
1999 has better music, darker tone and overall atmosphere. It has some filler and awful animation in some parts, particularly Greed Island OVAs. Butchered Heaven's Arena arc to censor some of it. Generally slower. Has closure, but it's cheaper than 2011's.

2011 has a huge arc that is missing from 1999, it's more faithful to the manga and consistent, it also has better animation. It rushed Greed Island arc to get to Chimera Ant arc (the arc that isn't in 1999) quickly. The pacing is faster in general, but it takes a nosedive for Chimera Ant arc, which some people disliked a lot. I didn't mind it at all.

If I were you I'd watch 2011, if you dislike the tone because it's a bit childish, watch 1999, and once it ends switch to episode 77 of 2011.
>>
File: Space_Brothers_#17_Mutta_Nanba.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Space_Brothers_#17_Mutta_Nanba.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
>>5964

Both are good, but a lot of it comes down to subjectivity. A lot of the time people simply prefer whichever they watched first.

>Includes a character from the first chapter who was excluded from the 2011 anime as it was thought they wouldn't reach his arc
>Doesn't actually reach aforementioned characters arc so its the only time you see him
>Personally I think the hunter exam is a little too drawn out
>Better Leorio
>Yorkshin Arc is 10/10
>More serious artstyle and darker tone, good animation where it counts
>Only really covers four arcs (Exam, Zoldyck Family, Battle Tower, Yorkshin. Don't watch the Greed Island OVAs they're the drizzling shits)

>Doesn't include character from first chapter
>Does however include his arc, which takes up most of the later half of the show
>Hunter Exam is done better in this show, I feel personally
>But Yorkshin is done worse, still great arc though
>Much more memorable soundtrack
>Much cleaner and vibrant artstyle
>Covers more arcs (Exam, Zoldyck, Battle Tower, Yorkshin, Greed Island actually done well, Chimera Ant, Election)
>Chimera Ant arc usually divides opinions. Some people think it's way too drawn out and has piss poor pacing but I love its soundtrack and characters
>They play down a lot of Leorio's better parts in this show, but this version has an arc in which Leorio shines

Both are good, and what I listed above could be considered pros or cons for different reasons depending on the person. I'd just go for the 2011 as it covers more and does a good job of also covering what 1999 does, then go watch some parts you really liked in the 1999 version just to see how they compare.

Then read the manga and join the suffering hiatus train with the rest of us.
>>
>>5987
>Greed Island actually done well
Not really, it had a pacing of about 5 chapters per episode, and it skipped a lot of the explanations removing some of the magic of the arc. I really loved how they did it, but I think that the pacing fucked it up.
>>
>>5983
>>5987
thanks anons
>>
>>6002

I guess I would say done well comparatively to the 1999 OVAs in that case. I had more of a problem with Chimera Ant's pacing than GI's.
>>
>>6008
Slower pacing is always better than a rushed arc, unless it's below 1 chapter/episode, then it's just unbearable. The only problems I had with CA were that I wanted to watch the final scenes quickly, but I had to wait months for that. Marathoning it I don't think there's problems with it, but that's just my opinion.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.