[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
unfuck harddrive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: G01-0311-3.jpg (48 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
G01-0311-3.jpg
48 KB, 500x380
i was wondering if i could unfuck my drive.
I have 2x pic related (250Gb ide hdd).
I had them both open (DON'T do this).
And now one of them has the click of death and shows as 4227MB in BIOS while the other is fine and operational.
I already tried cooling it down below 0 celsius and hitting it against the table.

Has anyone ever unfucked a drive with these symptoms?
How could this be done? (if possible at all)

Yes, i know, costumer support will say drive recovery company.
I am looking for some unofficial tricks/hacks.
>>
>>26464
>I had them both open
Why did you do this?

>Yes, i know, costumer support will say drive recovery company.
For good reason: data recovery is 50% super sekrit research, and 50% having a warehouse full of bits of hard drive. You won't know how to fix this, and anyone that does know won't tell you, because they can get you to pay them to instead.
>>
>>26464
Check out spinrite. It may be what you need to recover the data. https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
>>
>>26464
As silly as it may sound, odds are you tightened some of the screws too hard when you closed one of the drives back up. This video may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Y7BniaRXg
>>
>>26719
It also has the click of death without the cover on it.

>>26570
I don't care about the data, i want a usable drive
>inb4 poorfag

>>26543
>why?
why not? this is how i learnt how a drive looked like inside.
>data recovery
I don't care about the data, i want a usable drive
>>
>>26464
If you really have opened them to the point where you see the disks, you shouldget a special screwdriver that allows you to apply a specific value of torque. Just google it and you will probably be able to fix it.
>>
>>26464
>250 GB IDE
They seem ancient to me. No shit they're dead or dying.
>B-but I want a usable drive
Next time don't disassemble devices you don't understand.
>>
>>26773
>this is how i learnt how a drive looked like inside

You could have googled this.
>>
>>26773
>I don't care about the data, i want a usable drive
Drives that have been opened will never be usable again. If you're lucky, they'll be good for the couple hours it takes to ghost them.
>>
>>26779
I use precision flathead screwdrivers for that

>>26805
It's not dying of age, it is probably a software error, BIOS test says error code 7

>>26806
yes, i could.

>>26834
The other drive is just fine,
I don't know about new drives but you can touch the actual disk on old ones and have it working fine when you put it back together.

I'm going to fully disassemble the drive now, maybe i'll find a very stupid hardware problem that can be easily fixed.
>>
>>27103
>I don't know about new drives but you can touch the actual disk on old ones and have it working fine when you put it back together.
And for at least a couple hours after that. Not even the 18" removables put up with you actually touching the disk. If you were very, very lucky you could get a read off the platter, but the data would have to be so valuable it was worth trashing a drive to get it.

>I'm going to fully disassemble the drive now, maybe i'll find a very stupid hardware problem that can be easily fixed.
I think you'll find it between the screwdriver and the chair.
>>
>>27103
HOLY FUCK i found it.

I have disassembled the drive as much as i could, it just a piece of metal and the disks (didn't have small enough screwdrivers for the screws on those).

One of the r/w heads is fucked, one of the two channels is torn.
I'll take a pic in a while.
Maybe i can solder it back together...

Just realised i might sound like a huge troll, disassembling an old IDE and all, but i'm not, just wait for the pic.
>>
File: IMG_20160106_205318.jpg (749 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160106_205318.jpg
749 KB, 2560x1920
>>27112
>>
>>27124
:^(
>>
>>27124
>>27129
Well fuck, this is exactly what happened to me when my drive accidentally fell on the floor.
Fortunately no data of importance was lost and this thread saves me the time and effort to try and fix it myself.

Good luck to you
>>
>>27142
Thanks.
Depend on your drive manufacturer and what happened it may be something else than a faulty head.
WD is known for putting the firmware on the disk itself (oh god why?) so if it's making loud clicking noises all the time and you can't see it's correct size anywhere or access the drive, it can be that it somehow can't read the firmware.

I have made a support ticket at WD asking for a replacement head, i hope they won't ask about my warranty...
>>
Costumer support got back at me quite fast.
Apparently my name is YASAR.
They don't sell replacement parts nor can they recommend a reseller.
They asked for the serial number and offered a new unit if mine still has warranty.

The drive is from 2005 so i doubt the warranty, and i have opened it up and destroyed nearly every warranty-void sticker in the progress.
Maybe they'll fall for it, maybe they don't.
>>
>>27145
Everyone puts the firmware on the disk itself.

Why wouldn't you? What's the point in having firmware if the disk is fucked? Why would you have a big ol' flash chip that you could risk bricking, when you could just have a tiny 1bl that reads the rest of the firmware off the platter?

It's not like it's not got the space.
>>
>>27124
Yeah, I bet it looked just like that before you bodged it out the chassis.
>>
>>26773
>this is how i learnt how a drive looked like inside.
at the cost of the drive.
>>
>>27103
>it is probably a software error
you're a fucking retard.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.