[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/r/equesting some mecha/Sci-fi animes to watch. It's like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: screenshot_5_23964.jpg (73 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_5_23964.jpg
73 KB, 600x450
/r/equesting some mecha/Sci-fi animes to watch. It's like 1 am, and I can't sleep. Also, If you guys know it, pic related looks pretty neat, but I dunno what it's from.

What I've seen:
>Gundam 0079
>Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
>Gundam Wing
>Ghost in the shell: Stand alone complex
>Neon Genesis Evangelion (I really like the idea of cyborg type mecha)
>Aldnoah.Zero(I really disliked this. Shit plot imo)
>Knights of Sidonia

And that's about it.
>>
Pls respond
>>
Planetes isn't mecha but its a good sci-fi if you haven't seen it.
>>
>>21395
I will look it up. Thank you.
>>
Big-o
gurren lagann
>>
>>21382
Your picture is from Patlabor, and you should seriously watch it.

There's two continuities though. The OVAs and the movies are one continuity, and the TV show is a different one.

The production and story of the OVAs and movies is fantastic. Mamoru Oshii (as in, GitS) directs them all but the third movie. The third movie is a great movie, but it's only tangentially related to Patlabor.

The TV show has much lower production values, but it's still a fun ride.
>>
>>21410

The only movie I could find was Patlabor, the movie, it's like and hour and a half long. But I'm worried I'm watching the wrong thing
>>
>>21417
You need to watch the OVAs first.

Just google "patlabor bakabt" without the quotes to get some well seeded torrents. First you need to watch the "Early Days" OVAs (7 in total), then each movie, and then, if you want more but in a different continuity and with much poorer production values, the two TV series.
>>
>>21421
Say... This is bretty gud. I'm already halfway through that movie, so it looks like I'm gonna finish that first. But I'll watch those next.

I really like this kinda show. Yknow. The Sci-fi type mystery, conspiracy type things? Reminds me of GiTS alot. Which makes sense, sense its from the same director. you have any more of these types of shows, preferably by this director?
>>
>>21443
If you haven't watched Jin-Roh, do.

But his live action movies are pretty good too. Check out Avalon. It's one of his most famous movies, and a great one.

He also directed the first Urusei Yatsura movies. And Sky Crawlers, though I didn't like that one much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamoru_Oshii

As for what else to watch... well, any real robot anime. Gundam 08th MS Team, for example, which is my favorite Gundam. It's in my 3x3 together with Patlabor.

By the way, as you've watched 0079, you should watch Zeta. It's not as good as 0079 and the ones between 0079 and 0085, but it's still pretty essential. Beware though, Katz is a little shit. Or, well, the whole cast is annoying as fuck, but Katz in particular is retarded and annoying as it gets.
>>
>>21453
Zeta and 08th have been on my list to watch for a while now. I keep forgetting about them though.

Oh well, I'll get around to it sometime. Thanks anon.
>>
Turn-A Gundam is fantastic and works as a stand alone Gundam. Watch that as well
>>
>>21461
np.

Also, once you're done with what you have ahead, go watch Macross (in production order. 7 is my favorite).

>>21465
You should only watch Turn A 'til after watching every Gundam that came out before though.

But yeah, it's great. And Akiman (Street Fighter II, Darkstalkers, etc) made the character design for it, too.
>>
>>21470
Not really. If you watched every other Gundam before it then yeah, you'd get a much better appreciation for it, but it's very self contained anyway.
>>
Here's a chart for mecha anime. If you do google search you should be able to find a clean version.

If you want some good non-mecha sci-fi then the best you'll get would be: Serial Experiments Lain, Kaiba, Nausicaa, Planetes, Texhnolyze, Wings of Honneamise. Angel's Egg and FLCL aren't exactly sci-fi but they have elements and are both excellent.
>>
File: 1450326792451.jpg (3 MB, 2500x2800) Image search: [Google]
1450326792451.jpg
3 MB, 2500x2800
>>21520
Sorry, here's the chart.
>>
this is a pretty good rec thread.
>>21520
kaiba isnt really sci fi though, and might be too thinky here.

there's always the million appleseed movies. they arent fantastic, but a lot of people like them

The dude who suggested macross is spot on. The original is hella old but holds up pretty well. The other macross series vary in quality. He really loves 7, i dont care for it much. Take it as you will

There's always Legend of the galactic heroes. Its waaaay too long, but its got a lot of high points for all the political drama you gotta sit through.

Finally, watch banner/crest of the stars. There are 3 series under this title. They are all great.

Tl;dr Watch crest of the stars and its sequels. They're space opera, but the best
>>
>>21634
>kaiba isnt really sci fi though, and might be too thinky here.
How the hell isn't Kaiba sci fi? It's one of the few shows in which technological progress actually exists. It's always terribly silly how in most sci-fi, especially space operas people are able to travel faster than the speed of life but don't seem to have made any progress in other technological fields. Hell, if we take into account our current development, mind uploading might be a thing this century but we'll probably never get the space travelling capacities depicted in most of the anime you mentioned.
>>
>>21643
ehhh, i dont want to get into a discussion where we're changing the goalposts here, but outside of the memory stuff (and maybe, MAYBE the body stuff) kaiba isnt sci-fi at all.

Kaiba is much closer to kino journey in tone and feel. its not like ARTIMAGE III which is clearly sci-fi and maybe even cyberpunk, depending on your definition.

In the end you may find that, by your definition and perhaps semantically, Kaiba is sci-fi. But to me that's the least of its focuses (other than the memory bit. that really really is scifi) and feels much more like a pyschological anime than just a sci-fi one
>>
>>21650
>other than the memory bit.
So you mean the premise? Going by your logic, then Kaiba is more sci-fi than LotGH. Since Kaiba's focus is on the effects of people developing the technology to manipulate memories, while LotGH's focus is on war and politics. You could pretty much put LotGH in any other historical era in after the neolithic and it wouldn't change. Kaiba couldn't be set in any other period of time than the advanced future, unless it was further into the future.
>>
>>21659
>going by your logic

Hey now, dont put words in my mouth. While memories is the main plot motivator for kaiba, it doesnt really fit in with what OP has already said they like. You can like kaiba, that's fine. I liked kaiba quite a bit. Its not one of the animes i think of when it comes to sci-fi, which is whats being asked for here.

On a side note, LotGH cant technically be moved. the politics and war focus is true, but the battles are all about the tech advances and are pretty specific to a future setting. Its part of why that series is good. You COULD shift its setting to sometihng medieval but you'd have to change all those battles. A nitpick? yeah. Wen li and reinhard could be tactical generals in another period, and truly it doesnt pose questions about tech as sci-fi should. You may take this point and say that kaiba does exactly that. You're right. But in the end kaiba is its own thing. The questions it poses are great, but every other part of it doesnt fit in with what's being asked of here. Dudes stuff is all about near future and near tech. Memory tech is probably not far away, but the rest of kaiba is and just doesnt mesh. Still a great anime though

Sorry for long post. As an additional one to check out, try Full Metal Panic. Its not super detailed mecha, but its a lot of fun and the plot is decent.
>>
>>21667
The focus wouldn't change and that's the point. A show like Kaiba with the same focus couldn't exist in a non sci-fi setting.
>>
>>21650
That's like saying "outside of all the piloted robots, UC Gundam isn't mecha at all" or "outside of all the magic stuff, Slayers isn't fantasy at all". Obviously if you disclude the most important aspect of a setting it won't be that setting anymore.
>>
>>21670
it could. memory is a pretty big focus in philosophy, which is mostly what kaiba hangs on. Identity as well. just about any fantasy setting could do this. Gits is a better use of tech with memory and identity for sci-fi than kaiba is. Kaiba is much more about thought pieces than setting.

>>21671
that's ridiculous and not at all what was said. Broad generalizations only harm you.
>>
>>21676
Yeah, but philosophy isn't technology, philosophers could vaguely touch on this idea, while in the future we mind actually have those technologies and with the effects that they have on society.

>that's ridiculous and not at all what was said. Broad generalizations only harm you.
That's not an argument, calling something ridiculous doesn't make it so. You brushed off the premise of a show and said that if you disclude it the setting couldn't be categorized as sci-fi. You could say that about just anything.
>>
>>21690
>>21676
On top of that OP mentioned Evangelion in which the focus is more solely psychological: escapism and social relationships. These subjects are touched on without any relationship to the sci-fi elements and those just serve as an interesting background and tools of exposition

On top of that it's the same with GITS, especially the film. Everything it mentions can be put in terms of pure philosophy and in fact has been.
>>
OP, you like Evangelion. Have you seen other gainax mecha shows? GUnbuster, Diebuster and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?

>>21634
>It is now possible to store memory data, so that the death of your body is not actually "death." As memories are stored in databanks, they can be "transferred" to new bodies. Because so-called "memory trading" now occurs, it is now possible to steal memories and illegally alter them.

>Society has fallen apart as authority has become lost and stagnant.

>One day, a man awakens in a ruined room. His name is Kaiba. He has no memories, but he does have a pendant with a picture of an unknown woman inside.

>In the skies are roiling clouds and electrical storms, impossible to pass without losing one's memories; above them lies the elusive realm of the rich and powerful, who barter others' bodies and memories for their own enjoyment and longevity. Below lies a troubled and dangerous world where good bodies are hard to come by and real money is scarce.

>After suddenly being attacked, Kaiba escapes into space, and during his travels meets all sorts of people and regains his memories. Throughout it, he continues to be troubled by the world's problems, as well as his own existence. And what of the woman in the pendant, Neiro?

Sounds about as sci-fi as you can get.
>>
>>21700
Most of those quotes sound pretty cyberpunk to be honest. Argue what you want of that. Kaiba never caught me as such, but the wikipedia author you're quoting makes it out to be in this case.

>outside of the memory stuff (and maybe, MAYBE the body stuff) kaiba isnt sci-fi at all. Kaiba is much closer to kino journey in tone and feel

then in the same post
>by your definition and perhaps semantically, Kaiba is sci-fi. But to me that's the least of its focuses (other than the memory bit. that really really is scifi) and feels much more like a pyschological anime than just a sci-fi one

also earlier
>kaiba isnt really sci fi though, and might be too thinky here

What has happened here is I didnt make a clear point, or if i did it was the wrong one. Two of my quotes say "kaiba isnt sci-fi" but all three involve tone and focus. I should argue that the theme and tone of kaiba is a pyschological one and these aspects encompasses it more-so than does the setting. Your mileage may vary.

As i said in one of my quotes, kaiba is sci-fi, particularly by definition. "stories about how people and societies are affected by imaginary scientific developments in the future - science ficiton via webster"

>>21694
this is more what i was harping about. Eva certainly focuses on social aspects with mecha being more as dressing. and Gits is the quintessential sci-fi series, especially the movie as you've said.
>On top of that OP mentioned Evangelion ... it's the same with GITS.
Yup, and OP mentioned serveral other mecha animes, including three gundam ones. So what does it matter?

I dont want to be so arrogant as to say "I know what OP wants! You dont!' but i am going off what they're put up there, and for me Kaiba didnt meet that metric. Disagreement is fine. I'm glad you want him to see Kaiba. I want most anyone that can sit through it to see kaiba. But it doesnt have the dressing that eva and gits have. Glad it spawned this debate though.
>>
>>21725
and holy shit that is the biggest post i've ever made.

Tl:dr kaiba is sci-fi, but might not meet the metric OP estabilished. This is what i was trying to say from the beginning.

good discussion though.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.