[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tech Support
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Windows-7-Home-Premium.png (242 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Windows-7-Home-Premium.png
242 KB, 640x640
Hey /wsr/

I have a pirated copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, and I was wondering if Service Pack 1, or any other update of the sort, would be able to detect that I don't have a legitimate copy, and thus disable my system or anything like that
>>
Nope. It's just a question of whether your copy is registered/unregistered.
>>
>>156458
Registered? Excuse me, but what exactly does that mean?
>>
>>156458
Rubbish.

SP1 includes the "Your Windows is not Genuine" update, which detects a bunch of the old methods of pirating Windows.

The whole KMS hack came about because you can't tamper with Windows' activation components anymore (or it sets that update's alarm off).

The preferred way nowadays is to use SLP with a BIOS that contains an appropriate SLIC certificate; a loader that patches the ACPI before Windows loads is okay, I guess (frankly I'm baffled as to why Windows doesn't spot a butchered copy of Grub inserting itself into the boot process*, but apparently it doesn't**).

* the elephant in the room with Secure Boot is that as well as preventing rootkits from loading, it also prevents "loaders".
** rumour is that the drive towards robust piracy protections was lipservice for the antitrust lawsuit, and Ballmer and SatNad both prefer the "we'd rather you pirated our shit than installed our competition's" philosophy from the 9x era.
>>
>>156461
I'm sorry, but my knowledge of computers is fairly limited, could you please explain what you said? I really appreciate the help, and I apologize for the inconvenience

Is there any way of installing the Service Pack without getting the pirated copy detected? Without having to do that, as it seems fairly complex and I fear I could mess it up, or reinstalling Windows?
>>
>>156469
Not him, but basically you'd have to download individual Windows Updates.

Certain ones will break your setup, so try looking up which ones they are. I don't know what they are offhand, unfortunately.
>>
>>156493
>>156469
This only applies if you're using a Windows that was cracked the way a conventional application might be. Simply patching out the activation check was a common way of pirating Windows back when Windows 7 was new (which was nearly seven years ago now).

There's an update in Service Pack 1 that detects tampering with the activation system.

If you're using a modern method which keeps the activation system untouched and tricks it into thinking it's been preinstalled on a Dell or is talking to an enterprise activation server, then you are (somewhat bizarrely given how easy these techniques are to detect) absolutely fine.

>>156493
You can only get so far not installing the service pack, because all the updates released after it won't install without it.
>>
>>156498
Not OP, mine says "pre-activated". Does that suggest what method was used?
>>
>>156457
OP, since your pc knowledge is obviously limited why don't you just download a win7 distribution that comes with SP1 already in it, and do a clean install? Plenty of them available.
>>
>>156457
no such software may disable the OS except the install
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.