[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So about an hour ago I started smelling burning plastic coming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 220-G2-0750-XR_XL_4.jpg (192 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
220-G2-0750-XR_XL_4.jpg
192 KB, 1200x1200
So about an hour ago I started smelling burning plastic coming from my PC. My display then turned off while everything else kept running. I turned the computer off, blew the dust out of everything with compressed air, and gave it a visual inspection. Everything looked okay, so I turned the computer back on. It booted up, but I only got as far as the start screen before the display turned off again. I tried one more time, but now it won't even turn all the way on. I'm guessing (hoping) it's the PSU, but what else would it be if it wasn't?
>>
It's the part that smells like burning plastic, I would guess...
>>
Is there any light indicating that your display is correctly alimented when it "turns off"? If no, try with another display (if available). If yes, check your video card.
>>
>>148192
Unfortunately the whole case smells like it. It sort of seems like it's coming either from the PSU or the GPU, but it's hard to tell.

>>148199
It is a television so it stays on after the computer turns off. It has its own power source so that's not the problem. Like I said, the GPU LOOKS fine. However I don't have the capacity to bust it open and see if I popped a capacitor or something. The computer is back to turning back on, but it isn't recognizing my SSD now.
>>
were you using any molex to sata power adaptor in that pc? i would bet money on that being on fire
dont turn your pc on again until you have found the cause, unless you wanna ruin the remaining components
>>
also
>I don't have the capacity to bust it open and see if I popped a capacitor or something
its just a screw driver and two screws... are you expecting magic via these posts instead?
>>
>>148207
>>148208
No molex to sata, but I am using molex to pcie adapter cables. And I'm not expecting magic via posts, I'm just trying to weigh up a variety of options before I make my next move. I do appreciate the help.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.