[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GPU power cable issue, please help!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: msi gtx960.png (244 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
msi gtx960.png
244 KB, 600x480
Hello everyone.
Today the MSI GTX 960 4GB I ordered came in. However, it has a 8 pin 'port' (I apologize if the term is incorrect), and my PSU doesn't have an 8 pin cable, it has instead two 6 pin cables.
The card comes with a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, and the manual says to 'connect 6/8-pin power connectors' which I found a bit confusing.
Is it safe to connect one of the 6-pin connectors of my PSU to the adapter in order to power the GPU ?
Here is an album with pictures of the connector and port: http://imgur.com/a/Xuebr
>>
Is it overclocked?. According to this http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2499016/pin-connector-evga-nvidia-gtx-960-pin-slot.html thread people say you will need a new PSU because it might not provide enough power.
>>
>>148013
I see.
Then I don't understand why they'd include a 6 to 8 pin adapter with the gpu though
>>
>>148027

Well, I suppose there is in certain instances that adapter would work perfectly fine, like depending on what wattage PSU you have and how much stuff you are running on your computer drawing power.

What PSu do you have? specs?
>>
>>148030
I do not remember the model but it's a 600 watt Corsair, it was pretty high-end when I bought it
>>
>>148035

Well, have you tried it yet? I'm asking because according to this http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-960/specifications

Looks like the official GTX 960 information site the recommended PSU is 400 watts. If that's the case I would try it out and benchmark that GPU and test it out. It should run fine as it says the card itself only draws 120 watts.
>>
>>148037
Ok yes, I 've mounted it, the PC booted up and I've been trying it with Overwatch, seems to work like a breeze even under 'stress', easily pulling off 120fps.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.