[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did my memory tests turn in a false positive?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: ram.jpg (51 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
ram.jpg
51 KB, 600x400
I've had games randomly crashing for over a year now. Also featuring general slowness and stuttering of various programs and Windows in general.

I've done a few different tests to test if my memory was bad and they've all turned up okay. But that seems like that's could be what's causing my games crashing and general slowness.

I've tried the thing where you try testing the RAM and a stick out and leaving one in to determine if it is bad, but I can't play Doom very effectively with 4gb of RAM in. That's the game that crashes the most consistently.

Looking at my specs, it doesn't seem like something that would cause many problems. I experience constant freezing and slowness of programs. Chrome not loading or crashing frequently. Clicking a program then not loading for a few minutes.

For more info on my problem here's a few links.

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hp77nQ

Reddit /r/TechSupport post: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/4pjkkw
>>
Whats your OS? What is your RAM clock speed? What is your RAM utilization when youre inside doom? Have you tried to run any benchmarking software? If so, did you have similiar issues? If chrome is giving you issues and new games, I have to agree its probably your memory. Try and take it to a local PC shop and ask the guys there to swap your memory with some different memory and then load up your game and see what happens.
>>
Are you trying to overclock your RAM at all? Check your bios to make sure it isnt trying to overclock it.... that can lead to instability and its not worth it.
>>
>>146805
I didn't do it intentionally. I'll double check to make sure.
>>
>>146803
I'll admit, a bit of what you said is lost on me in the first few sentences. My friend does have a good computer, so I'll talk to him and see if we can swap.
>>
>>146798
>false positive
You can't prove a negative.

Memory tests can never show that your memory works; the only thing they can show is that it did work during this particular instance of the load this specific memory test presents.

Memory test failed: proves your memory is definitely defective
Memory test passed: proves absolutely nothing whatsoever.
>>
>>146798
>constant freezing
I'd check the storage devices first.
Defective memory doesn't make your PC slow, it makes your PC bluescreen.
>>
>>146810
Thank you for elaborating. I understand now.
>>
>>146811
I bluescreen *sometimes*, but not often. I'd say about 10% of my crashes/freezing problems are blue screens.

I used Crystal Disk Info to check my hard drive a week or so ago, and it said the health was "Good".
>>
>>146809
Get some good tools that let you see what your RAM frequency is reading in as. HWMonitor is a good one I think. Also look in performance monitor. See how much ram you have and how much you are using. If you are using more than 1.5-2 gigs when youre not running any apps, then you might have an issue with windows. In win7, if you have windows updates enabled, the program that gets and installs those updates LOVES to hog a LOT of memory. If you have a lot of stuff running on startup, then you might need to fix that as well. Ideally, you want to have a solid 6 gigs of free RAM when you open up your games. Look into how to use performance monitor on windows to look at RAM. If your RAM frequency shows above 1333hz, then you need to go into BIOS and stop overclocking it.

Im 9/10 sure that you just have too much junk going on in the background though. Try to kill processes and disable starts on power up for non vital programs.

If none of that works, yeah ask your buddy to borrow RAM to see if that is the issue. Sometimes with cheap DDR3 it just fails on ya.

Best of luck m8
>>
>>146817
I've tried closing all unnecessary tasks (in taskbar, and checking task manager for usage) and it's proven no use.

I need to plug my other RAM stick in and I'll report back.
>>
>>146817
I downloaded HWMonitor and all I see is listing for my Motherboard, CPU, Hard Drive, Integrated Graphics, and GPU. Nothing about RAM.

I already have Open Hardware Monitor installed, so I used that for now.

The only big programs I have open now is Chrome and Steam.

Open Hardware Monitor says I have 31.9% load memory and 5.3 GB of Available memory.

I also checked my BIOS earlier today, and it wasn't overclocked.
>>
>>146814
SMART won't catch an intermittent fault, unless the drive logs that and you're specifically looking for it.

Try booting Knoppix or similar, and reading out the whole disk with dd_rescue*. If your disk/controller/cable/etc. has problems, the syslog will fill up with "ataX: failed command:", "ataX: hard resetting link".

* dd_rescue /dev/sda /dev/null # NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND!
>>
>>146826
This is a bit confusing for me. I'm going to see if a friend who understands this more can come over later and help me out.

But this does look helpful, thanks.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.