[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
creating trippy image projections
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5
File: 1464637924745.jpg (87 KB, 600x413) Image search: [Google]
1464637924745.jpg
87 KB, 600x413
does anyone know how images like this are made? (or who is making most of them)

from what I've looked at so far I'm guessing it's something like Mathematica's ImageTransformation with an alternate coordinate system

I don't have Mathematica so I plan to write my own script that does it (and works with GIFs as well), but complex math like this really isn't my strong point. I've only gotten as far as understanding log-polar transforms like http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/a/24649
>>
File: wew.gif (3 MB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
wew.gif
3 MB, 600x600
if anyone's curious, I at least figured out bipolar coordinates, which the first image doesn't seem to be, at least not in the way i did.

first you have to map the output image pixel coordinates to a cartesian plane, e.g. [-2, 2] on both axes. then for each pixel transform into bipolar coordinates where the poles are on the x-axis at -a and a like:

float[] bipolar(float a, float x, float y) {
float t = 0.5*log((pow(x+a, 2)+y*y)/(pow(x-a, 2)+y*y));
float o = PI-2*atan(2*a*y/(a*a-x*x-y*y+sqrt(pow(a*a-x*x-y*y, 2)+4*a*a+y*y)));
return new float[] {t, o};
}

i haven't calculated the axes' ranges on that, but you then need to map each to a positive range e.g. 0-10 and then modulo-1 the coordinates to get x- and y-coordinates in [0, 1)

then just multiply that by the image dimensions and wa la!
>>
File: try-1.png (278 KB, 763x557) Image search: [Google]
try-1.png
278 KB, 763x557
I believe this is a more general version of the transform in the OP, that i found on a random blog without much context
>>
Holy, i want to know this too.
Sadly i cannot help you.
At least do you know how images like this are called?
>>
File: Untitled3.gif (2 MB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Untitled3.gif
2 MB, 600x600
>>143665
No idea, though I think I figured it out. I think I misinterpreted the wiki page on bipolar coordinates and got the transform for σ incorrect. This resulted in the preservation of horizontal lines but didn't give the vertical arcs like in the previous picture.

So I got that right, and then when setting the a-points to near 0 and the scale factor really high to compensate, the result does look like the previous picture. Funnily, I found the author of the original picture, and it's not an image projection, actually just drawing the arcs manually.

I think the first image is using multiple projections of the type I figured out, but without knowing who made it it's hard to say. Pic related is what I can do now. I will post code when I'm home from work
>>
>>143704
that seems like the kaleidoscope effect on after effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL4TNF--lss
>>
>>143704
as promised

https://mega.nz/#!nEY2RC6R!AVn10CRED6_a9D1eFV5_D5bv3Up8eFgka1NHraDRV20

runs in Processing 3 and I tried to comment everything so the transformations are clear
>>
>>143860
not op but thanks i'll try it later since i'm familiar with processing.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.