[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time Buying a gpu on release day
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: AMD-Ellesmere-RX-480.jpg (577 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
AMD-Ellesmere-RX-480.jpg
577 KB, 3840x2160
So I have been saving up to buy a GTX960 and finally got the money for it this month and then AMD unveiled the RX480. I know the reviews aren't out but no matter what it should outperform the GTX 960 regardless of what the reviews may say. The thing is that I have never actually bought a graphic card on release day nor do I know how that works. Was wondering if any kind anons can give me some advice. Sorry if my questions are cringey, this is my first time experiencing this.
Anyway here are my questions

Question 1:
On release day do I have to order online like a sneaker release?

Question 2:
If I do buy online do I go to AMD directly or places like MSI, Asus or Sapphire?

Question 3:
Will stores like Frys or MicroCenter have the RX480 in stock on release day at their physical stores or only Online?

Question 4:
Will the RX480 be released as a reference card first or will different companies like MSI, Sapphire or Asus be selling it with different features on release day like how MSI has twin forzr?
>>
Self bump
>>
File: FB_IMG_1446654867493.jpg (15 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1446654867493.jpg
15 KB, 500x368
>>142887
Don't buy a card on release. It's a huge waste of money. Wait a month or two for the hype to die down and for the superior aftermarket solutions to come out. If you buy on launch (or preorder) you're liable to be ripped off by scalpers who raise their prices way above the MSRP (Newegg)

Anyway to answer your questions:
1 ) If you have a local computing store, call them up and see if they will have it in stock on release day. Most of the time new GPUs aren't the biggest doorbuster so they might not unless it's a specialty shop for PC gaming.

2 ) You'll have to buy from a retailer like Newegg, Amazon, NCIX, SuperBis, or OutletPC.

3 ) Again, you'll have to call your local store to find out.

4 ) I don't care to Google it but in the past aftermarket (read: better) coolers don't really become available until at least a few weeks following the release of the reference card.
>>
>>142934
One more thing: Don't buy a 960. If your budget is around the price of a 480, get a 480. Nvidia's low price offerings have really sucked in recent years and AMD is good for that kind of thing. Conversely, if you want a really high end system a GTX 980 is world's better than anything AMD has ever offered in a single GPU solution.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.