[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
iphone help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 2014-11-09 22.12.56.gif (2 MB, 500x222) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-09 22.12.56.gif
2 MB, 500x222
alright, so a rich exchange student from China just moved out of my house and left behind their iphone 6+ to us as a gift. figured i would move my stuff onto it and so I factory reset it but still cannot get in because it is associated with her apple id. I've tried emailing her but nothing yet and am not sure if she will ever get back to me. how can I bypass this and/or remove her apple id?
>>
>>142126
give it back jamal.
>>
>>142126
was she hot?
>>
>>142126
>Settings>ICloud>Sign Out>Create a New Apple ID
Try it I guess
>>
>>142126
see
>>141526
>>
>>142126

See above
>>
>>142138
>give back a gift
are you illiterate?
>>
>>142126
>how can I bypass this and/or remove her apple id?

>Antitheft mechanism
>Any possible way to remove it

tl;dr: you're America's Dumbest Criminal. Everyone knows not to steal iPhones nowadays.

>>142511
No, he's calling you a liar.

You stole it.

The good news is that though it's entirely useless to you, you seem to know who the owner is, so at least you can give it back.
>>
>it's another "guys I totally didn't steal this iPhone but need a way to break into it pls help" thread
Can we just report these already?
>>
>thinking i would lie on a Zambian meat curing website about theft when there is a board dedicated to the theft
>>
>>142126
Just steal money from some drug dealer from whatever hood your in, and buy an iphone yourself, tyrone.
>>
>>142187
ayy, it's the "apple is 100% secure" meme once again.
>>
>chinese
>real iphone
Why? Their knock offs are literally better and cheaper. Why would she have the Job's version?
>>
File: 1417187888931.jpg (6 KB, 235x206) Image search: [Google]
1417187888931.jpg
6 KB, 235x206
>>142698
>>
>>142706
I know it wasn't your point, still felt like pointing it out. People act like the iphone is a form of OTP encryption.
>>
>>142698
Yeah, but it is.

If you don't know the password, you can't activate the phone.

There is no known exploit to unlock or unregister a modern, touch-id iPhone.

You have a very straightforward way to prove me wrong: simply describe a way OP can get in "his" phone without knowing the password.

Anything you say that's not an exploit to disable find-my-iPhone is just a needlessly complicated way of saying "I am full of shit".
>>
>>142822
Basically no security is 100%, proper OTP encryption is a notable exception. Otherwise it is time, money and effort that determine if something is secure or not. The iphone's security can be considered 100% in the sense that no common thief (or well educated one for that sake) is going to have the time, money or effort to crack it.

Your average Joe is not going to have Apple's code signing key, so any and all software they create won't be accepted by the device so they can't even start any attempt an attempt to attack.

Here again, with enough time and effort you can recreate the key, owever it is easier to obtain it from the source (which is exactly what the FBI tried to do when they went to court with Apple. They wanted Apple to hand over the key so they could then install software with which the password could then be obtained) or alternatively steal it (Which is likely what a country like China will try to do, if it hasn't done so successfully already.)

Again, this means that your iphone for general purposes is virtually 100% secure. From a technical POV however it is not. This means, for the sake of argument, that Obama jotting the nuclear launch codes into an iphone and then somehow losing it (along with a nuclear football) to let's say a hypothetically hostile China, is still going to be a rather bad scenario for the USA.
>>
>>142833
The standard metric is "is the cost of retrieving the information greater than the value of that information".

And for storing anything short of nuclear launch codes, iOS passes. On a touchid phone, even if you had the master signing keys, the only thing you can do is ask the phone to attack its own secure enclave, which will eventually lock out for weeks per attempt. If the FBI had impounded a 5S instead of a 5C, they would have been absolutely fucked.
>>
>>142835
Well like I said, I was only talking about the technical aspect of it. Honestly Apple's security is complete overkill for 99% of its users.

As for the time limit, a device can't "feel" time, devices measure time by how often an event X happens, this is usually an internal crystal oscillator/clock generator. These can be manipulated. I do not know to what extent this part is protected, and again it would be pretty hard to do for a normal person even if it weren't protected. However put top Israeli cyber security agencies with enough funding on the job and it they will get in.

All that being said, OP nor any of us in this thread are friendly with Mossad, Beijing the CIA, NSA or any other agency that may be interested in breaking down Apple security. So unless OP gets in touch with his Chinese friend, he is going to have ~10 attempts to guess a password(is it 10 before apple locks you out? I don't actually own an iDevice so I have no idea). The digits four, five and seven are considered unlucky in chinchon land, so avoid those.
>>
>>142845
>I don't actually own an iDevice

You're confusing two completely separate mechanisms:

- encrypted filesystem: lives on the device, protects your data
- activation lock: lives on Apple's cloud servers, stops your hardware being used by thieves

OP wants to break activation lock, which he's not going to do. Activation lock isn't "if you get the password wrong the phone will choose to not work", activation lock is "if you don't get the password right, Apple won't send the phone the keys it needs to boot its own OS". There is no way to break activation lock that's cheaper than simply buying your own iPhone, so activation lock delivers perfect security.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.