[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quantization and LSB (MSB)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 570px-Quantized.signal.svg.png (19 KB, 570x350) Image search: [Google]
570px-Quantized.signal.svg.png
19 KB, 570x350
Hey guys, I need someone who knows his shit to explain to me what the process of Quantization is, what it's good for and what the LSB (Last significant bit) is. Also, bear in mind that I will probably have to google any more specific english words since it's not my first language. Also, explain it to me like I was a dumbo who has no idea what's up. Thank you very much!

I will probably also ask some additional questions so be prepared.
>>
I am kinda struggling with the idea. I chose a wrong school as a kid and now I have to suffer. Additional read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_Czech_Republic
Right now I am in my third year out of four on a Secondary technical school and I am completely fucked. As you might have guessed, I am more of a Language - Biology guy.
>>
I think it's basically about compression. I do remember when messing with Xvid and MPEG encoding back in the day the codecs had "Quantization" matrixes which were a bit fucking chart of numbers that looked almost like those multiplication tables in black & white notebooks.

You could change it to whatever you liked and optimize it but I think that was for ADVANCED users and really even depended on different types of video.
>>
>>140418
Okay so let's say I am sending a signal. Let's say it's a 5 second video. Does the wuantization just simplify / compress the video? We are currently learning about Quantization and it doesn't really look like simplifying. It feels like some kind of a test to get a nhumber? That's all I have in my notes.
>>
>>140419

I got no clue. I'm looking at the Wikipedia article on it now and confused as hell. Have you seen any Youtube videos on it? That would be my first step.

https://www.google.com/search?q=quantization+explained&oq=quantization+explained&aqs=chrome..69i57.3041j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=quantization+explained&tbm=vid

That's a search on "Quantization Explained". Check those out because I can't teach you since I don't know how.
>>
>>140421
it's okay, thanks for the help anyway!
>>
>>140422

No problem
>>
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at seeing the responses in this thread so far, but I do know what quantization is in the field of Digital Signal Processing, one application of this field would be audio processing for example

Say you have a real, analog continuous signal, like the fluid one you see in your picture, for example your voice. To be able to save this signal on your computer, you'd need to be able to store it in bits. To fit a real signal onto your memory, you can see why you would need to round off the values.

That's pretty much what you're seeing in your picture, the continuous signal gets quantized, rounded off to fit in bits.

What the relation is to LSB is, I have no idea. Unless you have no idea what an LSB is...
>>
>>140427
Thank you for your explanation. I have also made a thread on /g/ refering them here but they started responding there. I now understand both LSB, MSB and Quantization.
Here it is. >>>/g/55076982
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.