[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question about polynomials
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_2032.png (719 KB, 1498x2662) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2032.png
719 KB, 1498x2662
I ran into a question on the SAT that I had to skip due to time constraints, and I want to figure out how to do it correctly.

It was something like this:

f(x) = (x+1)(x-3)(x+5)(2-x) expanded is:
f(x) = -x^4-x^3+Ax^2-11x-30

What is the value of A?

So is there a shortcut for finding the coefficients of larger order polynomials given the roots? Obviously expanding the entire thing is not the correct way... right?
>>
>>139471
It is, however, you don't have to expand it entirely. It'd be suffice if you just Multiplied the first two and the last to sets of parenthesis.
You'd end up with : (x^2-2x-3)(-x^2-3x+10)
And since you only care about whatever's next to the x^2 in the final version of the equation,
You just have to to this: (-2x*10)+(-3x*-3)
There's no need for a shortcut you just have to get used to doing it quickly.
>>
>>139482
Fuck, I meant (x^2*10)+(-x^2*-3)
>>
>>139482
Oh shit now I understand. Thanks for the reply!
>>
Same exact format of question on the ACT, such a fun test.
>>
File: Polynomial.png (2 KB, 298x81) Image search: [Google]
Polynomial.png
2 KB, 298x81
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.