[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /wsr/ My gpu started overheating and I'm not sure why.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1.jpg (67 KB, 360x225) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
67 KB, 360x225
Hey /wsr/

My gpu started overheating and I'm not sure why.
I've updated the drivers, changed thermal paste, cleaned the fans, the gpu. But it still overheats?

It overheats typically after 10 minutes after I start to play a game (it restarts) and everything that I did seem to not make a difference.

What else can I look into? Could power supply box be the one overheating then? If that's even a thing.

GPU: Geforce GTX 560
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.70 GHz
Tell me if you need anything else

pls no install gentoo
>>
>>138258
Have you check if the fans are spinning? What temp are you getting?
>>
>>138268
atm all temps show 45~ Celcius
only GPU while running a video shows 59 C
wait lemme boot up a game and check
>>
>>138268
While running HoI4 I looked through MSI Afterburner and it showed GPU at 100% use and the temperature was steadily climbing by +1 every 2 seconds. The moment it reached 80 C it restarted instantly.
>>
>>138277
forgot the mention that fans are spinning fine
>>
I can't think of anything else you could do to the card itself, but check that the case is getting good airflow. Good heat exchange with the air inside the case won't save it if the case's air is stagnant. Check that the case fans are running, that there isn't a dust buildup where air is supposed to go in and out.
>>
>>138279
I keep the case open is that fine?
>>
>>138277
>The moment it reached 80 C it restarted instantly
that's odd it should be able to run at 80-90 C. As you said in the op it can be a problem with the PSU. If you can try and run the GPU in a different computer to see if the problem is with the GPU or not.
>>
>>138282
any idea how to change temp limit?
how can PSU be causing problems? Unfortunately I do not have another PC so I cannot check GPU
>>
>>138285
>any idea how to change temp limit?
Nope
>how can PSU be causing problems
Don't really know. Could be that its broken and the GPU is drawing all the power so the computer turns off.
>>
>>138281
"Maybe." By opening the case up you ruin whatever wind tunnel plan the manufacturer had. Try closing it up. And/or, try pointing a giant box fan at the thing.

Assuming you can change temp limit, know that it will probably void your warranty (do you have one?) and that hot cards die sooner than cool cards. Ideally, you get a way to keep that sucker cool.
>>
>>138297
No I dont have GPU warranty :( so I closed the case and it shot up to 62C from 55C atm and sloowly getting towards 63C I am not running any games atm. Obv open case is better
>>
Ok I think PSU must be at fault its fan is constantly stopping for like 1 second.. its 500W it must probably became faulty somewhy at the moment
>>
Thank you alot for your help!
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.