[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Videocard Issues
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: gtx-770-back.png (722 KB, 1000x468) Image search: [Google]
gtx-770-back.png
722 KB, 1000x468
Hi, /wsr/. I have a question about a recurring crash that I think is videocard-related.

The card in question is an NV GTX 770. Up until a few weeks ago, it was on drivers from 2013 (I want to say version 328.xx).

Everything with this card was fine until Overwatch released. Right after the release, I started getting driver crashes when launching Overwatch for the first time - I'd run the game and five minutes later the game would crash to desktop and Windows would give me a message saying that the NVidia driver had crashed and recovered. Everything usually worked fine after that one crash, but that one crash would happen every time like clockwork.

In an attempt to diagnose the issue, I did a whole bunch of stuff. The first step was to update my drivers to the latest ones (from OW release day). This only made things worse, as now not only would Overwatch crash, it would also randomly cause the entire system to hang - to the point where I'd have to pull the plug and hard reset it.

At that point, I tried using Display Driver Uninstaller and rolling back to the previous set of drivers, dated May 5th, 2016. This worked really well for about a week, but then the system went back to crashing and hanging - only this time, it got even worse. Now, the system would sometimes hang after I stopped playing Overwatch, and would also hang in other games.

At this point, I thoroughly dusted out the videocard - I still haven't pulled it out, but I used a combination of canned air and q-tips to wipe all of the dust off the areas I could reach. While this did cause my temperatures to go down significantly, the crashing issue was still there.

I also tried rolling back to driver version 358.50 (from October 2015) to see if that would be more stable. Again, it was stable for about a week and then stopped being stable.

I'm kind of at the end of my rope, since I don't know what the problem is and the crashes keep getting worse. Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>151792
Sounds kinda similar to an issue I had a while back. Assuming you're on Windows, I'd say try running System Restore and going back to a point before you've had the issues, perhaps before installing Overwatch. That should fix the system hangs at least.

As for the causes of the crash, I can't offer much help there. Your video card is more than capable of running it, can we get some more specs?

Maybe try /sqt/ thread on >>>/g/, or maybe the Overwatch fourms.
>>
>>151802

The thing is, I don't think it's Overwatch itself that is causing the crashes. They've started happening in other games now, even if I haven't touched Overwatch. I've also started seeing the system BSOD and reboot after simply being on for a while. It's not an overheat as far as I know, because I've had it happen while idle and the temps are never that hot.

As for the specs, I'm out right now but the CPU is an AMD six-core, one of the FX line I think. 32GB of RAM, ASUS mobo with integrated sound.
>>
>>151807
Well, you're above the min specs for Overwatch, so it's not a hardware issue as far as I can tell.
What version of Windows are you on? Like I said, I had a similar problem myself with another game, even went through the whole uninstall, re-install, and update drivers thing. Nothing worked, and I got BSODs as well as display driver crashing. System restore solved stability issues.

But, I'd do a bit more digging before that, maybe check other fourms. Sorry I can't be any more help.
>>
>>151815

I'm on Windows 7. I don't know if System Restore is on but hopefully it is.
>>
File: Screenshot_233.png (4 KB, 398x247) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_233.png
4 KB, 398x247
>>151817
I'm on Windows 7 too, so yes, System Restore is there. You can get there from Control Panel > System & Security > Backup & Restore > Recover system settings or your computer.

It doesn't affect your documents, but I'd make a backup of files you need or don't want to lose, just to be safe. Also, it'll reset your web browsing bookmarks and stuff to that specific point in time, so keep that in mind as well.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.