[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>About downloading anime. Why do some files have bigger file
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1462882412077.jpg (37 KB, 366x360) Image search: [Google]
1462882412077.jpg
37 KB, 366x360
>About downloading anime.
Why do some files have bigger file sizes than others of the same quality (ie 720p, 1 file is around 250-300mb while another 720p is only around 100-150mb)

Some told me its because of 10bit vs 8bit, Ive looked at horriblesubs releases and they are 8bit still having large file sizes.
>>
What's the bitrate difference between the two files?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (67 KB, 372x421) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
67 KB, 372x421
This is from horriblesubs.
Also the bigger file
>>
File: Untitlerd.jpg (69 KB, 374x426) Image search: [Google]
Untitlerd.jpg
69 KB, 374x426
This one is from Animeout.
Suprisingly higher bitrate (10bit) while still having lower filesize
>>
Link the two torrents you're talking about?
>>
>>132129
>>132131
You know 10bit files tend to have smaller files, not larger right?
>>
>>132110
bitrate/re-encodes. They re-encode the videos for a smaller filesize (not caring how they look) or they turn the bitrate down to save space. Never get a 720p encode that's under 200mb per episode. That's just bit starved bullshit.
>>
>>132132
>Bigger sized one
http://horriblesubs.info/shows/musaigen-no-phantom-world/
>Smaller one
http://www.animeout.com/musaigen-no-phantom-world/
>>
The encoding.
>>
>>132134
Wait, thats how it actually works?
How about this?
>8bit, still smaller filesize
http://www.soulreaperzone.com/musaigen-no-phantom-world-episodes-480p-60mb-720p-90mb-1080p-150mb-mkv/
>>
>>132138
>>132136

What these anons said. The file's size all depends on how a person encoded the video. A larger difference in sizes can be seen in 1080p bluray releases. Just look at one group's release compared to a Coalgirls release for example.

They change the bitrate among other things. Lower bitrates can make intense action scenes look bad, thus anime with a lot of high quality animation, like KyoAni's stuff or Bones or pretty much any movie, especially Redline, need higher bitrates.

And, sometimes, bigger doesn't always mean that it looks better, since some things don't always need the higher bitrate or a person just encoded something very well and got it down to a smaller size.

Note: I have no experience in any of those, so disregard everything I just said if you want to.
>>
>>132110
>someone saved my confused anime grill oc
>>
>>132139
Okay first of all you need to realize that Horriblesubs is not a real fansub group. They don't sub anything, they don't encode anything. What they are is a bot that rips simulcast sites. Watching horriblesubs is basically like watching an online stream without the shitty flash player. That said, most HS releases are often bigger than that, especially for Phantom World which I recall having heftier file sizes even for the 720p version. Based on what I'm seeing in that link is that they probably ripped a pirate stream using Horriblesubs video, which is itself a rip of an official stream.

Basically my advice is stop going to that shitty website.
>>
>>132110

How well a video compresses depends on the contents.

Like if you have two hours of a blank single-color picture as a video, that'll be pretty tiny.

If the picture changes rapidly to totally different patterns with no similarity between any two adjacent pictures, that'll be pretty huge, almost as if you had saved the individual frames as a massive series of JPGs or something.
>>
File: 1446191549801.jpg (5 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1446191549801.jpg
5 KB, 184x184
>>132452
Stop me if you can
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.