[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to get through the considered "classics"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
I'm trying to get through the considered "classics" of anime, but the last slew of ones I've watched have all been comedies or actions with shallow, boring characters. Anyone have any reccomendations for great drama animus with actually likeable and developed characters?
>>
They're not likable, but the characters in Rakugo are pretty developed.
In Kuuchuu Buranko the patients get tons of development but the character focus changes each episode.
Shirobako has enjoyable characters and the only complainants I ever see about them are a single production assistant that's a love or hate thing.

If you don't mind me asking, which "classics" have you been watching?
>>
File: Akira.jpg (199 KB, 400x564) Image search: [Google]
Akira.jpg
199 KB, 400x564
>>127090
old or new?

cowboy bebop + movie
eva + end of evangelion
gits + sac
welcome to the nhk
samurai champloo
ninja scroll / shigurui
fist of the north star
rurouni kenshin
barefoot gen
5 cm / voices / the girl who leapt through time
gto
serial experiments lain
spirited away / totoro
ashita no joe / hajime no ippo
genshiken
planetes
redline
wings of honneamise
jin roh / lupin
memories / akira / neo tokyo / patlabor
saint seiya
paprika / perfect blue
ocean waves
flcl
>>
File: images (11).jpg (43 KB, 485x303) Image search: [Google]
images (11).jpg
43 KB, 485x303
There's always monster. I'm not a big fan of it myself but I can definately see the appeal, if you get over the bad animation.
>>
>>127094
I've been watching animu for years, but it only just hit me recently how many of the really well respected and loved shows I haven't seen. So over the past few months I watched Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, most of the stuff produced by Gainax up until Panty and Stocking, actually everything by KyoAni ever, quite a few Ghibli movies, quite a few more Satoshi Kon movies, Tatami Galaxy, Monogatari and Katanagatari, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Aria S1, and I started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (but didn't finish it bc its fucking loooong, I can't marathon that shit, I'll have to watch it periodically over a long span of time).

And then, in the past two weeks, I've watched Gunbuster, Psycho-Pass and Revolutionary Girl Utena. All of which I found to have quite shallow and dry characters, whether by just being a product of their time, the genre and demographic they're in, or whatever.

I'll check out Shirobako then. I've heard it's good, but was always put off by the artstyle seeming a little too cutesy and simple, but after those last three gritty/90s artstyles, I could use cute and simple.

>>127099
Seen 3/4 of those and thought they were really good, so I'll be sure to check out the other 1/4. Thanks.

>>127146
Started watching it years ago, but dropped it. I don't even remember why. I'll be sure to pick it back up as part of my classics run, though. I know it's loved by a ridiculous amount of people.
>>
File: 1440429620736.jpg (605 KB, 2048x2005) Image search: [Google]
1440429620736.jpg
605 KB, 2048x2005
Gunbuster
>>
>>127164
>actually everything by KyoAni ever
I should clarify, I FINISHED watching everything by KyoAni ever. I'd already seen about half of their stuff before.

>>127167
Already seen, didn't really like it that much. I thought episodes 2 and 5 were great, but 1 and 4 were just kinda nothing, 3 and its SMISUUUUU shit was terrible, and 6 was just a really weird conclusion.
>>
>>127164
>quite a few Ghibli movies, quite a few more Satoshi Kon movies
Satoshi Kon only directed 4 films. How many Ghibli movies have you seen?
>>
>>127413
Sorry, I was tired when typing that out last night, I forgot to delete the "movies" after Satoshi Kon.
I'd seen 3 Ghibli before, I watched 2 more (Laputa, Proco Rosso). I'd seen nothing by Kon before, but watched Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Paranoia Agent and Millennium Acrtess. Planning to watch Perfect Blue as well.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.