[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not sure if here or /g/, but might as well start here. Building
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160520_131750019.jpg (1 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160520_131750019.jpg
1 MB, 2432x4320
Not sure if here or /g/, but might as well start here.

Building a computer for the first time and got everything all connected and plugged in. Everything turns on and runs when the power turns on....except nothing displays on my monitor.

After checking around, Im getting the feeling my video card just isn't plugged in all the way. Figured I'd check here before I resort having to take it to a computer store or something, does this look plugged in all the way?

Wish I could get a better shot, but hard to get the phone in there for a shot at all since the case is small, though I suspect the small case is the entire problem,
>>
Is your DVI/HDMI/VGA cable connected to your motherboard or your GPU?
>>
>>125224
Plugged into the video slots on the video card that poke out the back of the computer.
>>
>>125223
Did you use the correct cables from the power supply to the video card?
>>
>>125223
Are you positive your video card is turning on as well?

Try disconnecting the video card and powering up using the mobo's vga/dvi/w.e ports to see if you can boot up successfully
>>
File: IMG_20160520_141503042.jpg (2 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160520_141503042.jpg
2 MB, 2432x4320
>>125229
Pretty sure, the fans turn on at least.

New to computer building desu. The power supply had a 6 slot plug with 2 1 slot plugs attached to it and I plugged them into the 8-plug spot. Or was I supposed to put it in the 6 plug spot?

Pic related is the power supply plug into the video card.

Video card itself is this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150727
>>
>>125235
Pretty sure. The fan on the card's running anyways.
>>
>>125238
Try unplugging the video card completely and booting without it to narrow down what the problem is
>>
>>125241
Unfortunately, the only video cable I have is the one that plugs into the back of the video card, so I still wouldn't get any display.
>>
>>125242
What motherboard do you have? You don't have any spare cables from previous computers?

Does the computer make any beep noises when you tried to boot it up before?
>>
>>125237
That's correct but you should have that 6+2 plugged into the 8 slot and another 6 plugged in next to it.
>>
>>125246
Ths one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157582

Hadn't heard any beeps at all yet. Good thing or bad thing?

>>125259
Huh, I'll look around. I know the power supply has multiple cords there for multiple video cards there. Would just attaching multiples from the same power supply cord work?
>>
File: 81I9M5fwswL._SX522_.jpg (13 KB, 522x293) Image search: [Google]
81I9M5fwswL._SX522_.jpg
13 KB, 522x293
>>125264
>Would just attaching multiples from the same power supply cord work?
You should have a cable kinda like this
>>
>>125264
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150727

well shit, no display ports on your mobo. It would beep if there's hardware errors so no beeps is good usually (you might also have to plug in a mic to hear it)

What power supply do you have
>>
>>125266
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014
This one.

>>125265
have one like that, just with 2 of the "6+2 slot" ones. I just plugged the extra 6 into the 6 slot space, so not I have the 6+2 plugged in, and another 6+2 without the "+2" in. Gonna try it again. If not, I'll have to fiddle with it later since I have to get to work.
>>
>>125269
Yeah that should work
>>
>>125271
well, no change, so guess it didn't.

I'm probably just going to have to take this to a computer shop because I have literally no idea why it's not working.
>>
>>125272
Double check everything is in correctly again (ram in slots snug, power to hdd in right, power to video card, etc.) before you take it to a store

Also was your monitor turned on when you tried to boot? Have you used it before to make sure the monitor works?
>>
>>125272
Also you could get a display port to usb converter and use that to connect your monitor to a usb port on the mobo for troubleshooting the video card
>>
>>125272
Is your video card plugged in to the top PCI-e slot?
>>
>>125278
Yeah. Only one or can fit in unless I break the mobo n half
>>
File: Capture.gif (112 KB, 791x625) Image search: [Google]
Capture.gif
112 KB, 791x625
Have you selected your card in the bios
>>
>>125288
Can't get it to show up on the monitor at all. No signal
>>
Just got back from work and double checked, motherboard has no built in video chipset at all, so video card's the only thing for it to use.

Im gonna take a break from fiddling with it tonight to avoid frustrating myself. At worst, there's a computer store nearby I can bring it up to and have them take a look at it.
>>
Which video card are you using? Which PSU are you using? Try to be very specific.
You may need a more powerful PSU.
>>
>>125677
Yeah his PSU is 600W and recommended for the R9 390X is 750W, but it should still power on as it's not under load and plenty of people use 600W for that card.
>>
>>125683
Which model of PSU? Is it 80+ compliant? It may be a cheap and badly build one, which is never as powerful as the manufacturer says.
>>
>>125687
This is the power supply I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014
>>
Actually, now that I look at it, the video card says it needs 750W power supply but mine is only 600W. Would that case the no signal; issue?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.