[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to force windows to delete a file or folder, even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1460847280289.gif (199 KB, 336x468) Image search: [Google]
1460847280289.gif
199 KB, 336x468
Is it possible to force windows to delete a file or folder, even if it's in use?
>>
http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker/
>>
>>118316
I tried that but the program doesn't open
>>
>>118312
did you try terminating the process that is using the file?
>>
>>118312
Restart your pc, if that doesn't help, boot from a USB with a live image of Linux or something
>>
>>118352

what program doesn't open? You right click on the thing you want to delete then scroll down to unlocker
>>
>>118312
No.

If it were, literally all the locking guarantees Windows offers wouldn't be worth shit.

Unix fanboys will tell you advisory locking is better than mandatory locking because you can delete files whenever you want; the truth is that mandatory locking is really hard to do properly; windows does it properly and unix doesn't and there's a fox/grapes thing going on; and mandatory locking is better than advisory locking because when you lock a file, the operating system (which, to processes, is a force of nature) prevents anything from deleting it from under you.

Suck it up and terminate the process. The OS guarantees that you can't delete or modify it until the process gives the lock up or terminates.
>>
>>118352
You need to run it from the command-line, as an administrator.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.