[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to play a new-ish JRPG that involves you traveling across
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: aria_mizunashiakari.jpg (404 KB, 1280x1358) Image search: [Google]
aria_mizunashiakari.jpg
404 KB, 1280x1358
I want to play a new-ish JRPG that involves you traveling across the world with your rag-tag team of adventurers, recruiting new followers, buying new weapons and armor at the towns you show up in, plumbing dungeons, and all that classic JRPG goodness.

Seems like new games scale down their settings way too heavily and I'm tired of it.

Thanks in advance.
>>
Bumperino
>>
Newish, what do you mean by this? I have something from 2005 but I am unsure if that falls under your criteria.
>>
>>11938
Not OP, but I'm listening
>>
>>11938
I was thinking current decade. It seems like this kind of game are a dying breed in the modern game era but I was hoping I could be proven wrong.

What game do you have in mind though?
>>
File: FarawayStoryScreen2.png (173 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
FarawayStoryScreen2.png
173 KB, 640x480
>>11785
>>11948
You are correct that old jrpg style games are a dying breed. If when you say "new" you mean "Triple A" then I'm not going to have any recommendations for you at all.

If you're willing to enjoy "Retro Style" "Indie" fare though, I have plenty of games for you.

http://www.vgperson.com/games/

One standout that I'd suggest starting with is http://www.vgperson.com/games/farawaystory.htm

This is a game where you play as an alchemist who's trying to cure a mysterious disease. Along the way she accidentally gets wrapped up in some vast conflict between heroes gods and monsters and immortal legacies of ancient kings reincarnated and split up amongst the forces of nature.

Your actual role in the story is way smaller than that, but not insignificant.

If you liked Recettear and thought "You know what this needs? An actual story." then you'll love Faraway Story.
>>
>>12118
>If you liked Recettear and thought "You know what this needs? An actual story." then you'll love Faraway Story.

Not OP but does that mean I also run a shop?
>>
>>11785
Try "Tales of" games (e.g. Tales of Symphonia) , those are pretty nice.
>>
>>12510
Yes you do. You make items with alchemy and you run a shop.
>>
>>12510
You run like 4 different shops eventually. Every time you find a new city.
>>
>>11785
Persona 4
Fire Emblem Awakening
The Last Remnant
>>
>>11785
The Legion of Heroes: Trials in the Sky.
>>
File: 1433434040623.jpg (98 KB, 640x852) Image search: [Google]
1433434040623.jpg
98 KB, 640x852
>>11946
For you I say Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song for the PS2. You can select among the seven characters and have your own starting locations on the world map. You unlock more of the map when you talk to people in town to being in places adjacent to those areas. In various pubs in the towns you can find other characters, could be one of the seven main characters or different characters (like the lizardman Guella Ha).

The game is heavy on adventure though. The game rarely guides you on where you should go to get quests, how to complete quests, or where to go for the quests. A lot of the times it can be apparent that you may have to go to a mountain, but eventually you have to figure out how to get to the top.

The thing is almost all the quests are optional. You can go through the game and miss a bunch of quests or you can stumble around and find a ton of them.

Romancing SaGa is the only video game I've played that actually made it feel like I am going on an adventure. All other games just feel like an on rails adventure in which you are often pushed into the next area. In Romancing SaGa you have to find that adventure because you can easily miss out on it.
>>
Play ni-no-kuni I think it'll be able to fix that craving for a while
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.