[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I really, really need help finding the name of a book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: iPad.png (49 KB, 800x738) Image search: [Google]
iPad.png
49 KB, 800x738
Hey guys, I really, really need help finding the name of a book that I read back when I was in 6th grade. I can't really give you guys much info to be honest, but here goes.

I think the front of the cover was red with maybe black lettering, the title either had Samurai or Japan in its name, it had something to do with it. It was a bunch of short stories put into one book. The final story in the book is the one that I really liked.

IIRC, it's about some criminal who changed his ways and became a good guy or something. And he wanted to repent his sins by going to a town and digging an entire tunnel for them so that they can get resources faster or something. One day while the old man was digging, a samurai comes up to him and tells him that he's going to have his revenge by cutting off his head. This is because the old man who was once a criminal killed his father and he had been searching for him for years. The old man said that he may kill him, but only until after he's finished digging the tunnel for the town. The samurai agreed to let him finish and everyday he watched the old man dig the tunnel. Years and years passed, eventually he started helping the old man dig the tunnel because it was taking so long, they talk about some stuff I can't remember. But eventually the samurai begins to respect the old man and such. When they finally finish the tunnel, the old man says that he may kill him. The samurai replied, "How can I cut off the head of my own master?" Or something like that. I know it's really vague, but if anyone could help it'd be greatly appreciated, I've been searching for this book for years now but I just can't remember.
>>
>>115943
Does this board go fast enough so that I need to bump?
>>
>>115943
>that I read back when I was in 6th grade
When was that? No one has any idea how old you are.
>>
>>115943
The Ronin by William Dale Jennings
>>
OP here, so I just realized I'm stupid as hell. I forgot to say that the book is actually a bunch of short stories put into one book, and the one I talked about was the last one in said book.

>>115953
no idea desu, lol

>>115956
19 now, so it was about 7-8 years ago.

>>115991
That's not it, thank you though.
>>
File: 51qsylM2T4L._SY400_.jpg (27 KB, 265x400) Image search: [Google]
51qsylM2T4L._SY400_.jpg
27 KB, 265x400
>>115943
?
>>
>>115996
I thought that was it, The Ronin has revenge and tunnel digging but it was also based on a zen myth. You probably read some anthology like >>116003
>>
File: ???.jpg (45 KB, 314x475) Image search: [Google]
???.jpg
45 KB, 314x475
OP here, I think I might've found it? But the cover looks way way different from what I remember, but I remember school libraries having different covers of my other favorite books. But now that I'm looking at reviews of it and stuff, I fear that it might be too simple of a read for me now lol. I'm mainly going for the morals or something I guess..

Anyways, I'm not 100% sure if this is it, and I have no way of making sure at the moment. I've tried to download it from a bunch of places but they all ask for my card and the sites look sort of sketchy. Maybe someone here would have some luck getting a download for it or something? Thank you all
>>
>>115943
http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/60thetunnel.html
>>
>>116012
It may have many different covers
>>
>>116013
Oh, well that's the story. Lol. Although in the book it was a bit longer, probably the author just made some changes I guess. Thank you.

>>116020
I believe that's the book, not 100% sure just yet.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.