[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vector problem help wanted (I will use caps for vectors): If
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1461985486257.jpg (90 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
1461985486257.jpg
90 KB, 800x587
Vector problem help wanted (I will use caps for vectors): If A and B are given vectors with magnitudes a and b, and if C=aB+bA and D=aB-bA then find the angle between C and D in terms of a and b.

Answer is pi/2. I really don't know where to begin with it. Everything I've tried ends up messy and aimless. Thanks
>>
I can't be bothered to do it formally, but I'll give you an idea. At least, that's how I'd solve it by intuition.
You're looking for the angle between aB+bA and aB+(-bA). aB and aB go in the same direction, so the angle is 0. bA and -bA go in opposite directions, so the angle is pi (180 degrees).
aB and bA are of the same length, both a*b.
This means they both influence the final angle in the same amount. So you just need the average of 0 and pi. Which is pi/2.
>>
Hint: if the scalar product is 0 then the vectors are perpendicular (the angle between them is pi/2)
>>
>>113041
Thanks this helped, for some reason I refused to think that aB and bA were definitely the same magnitude but as soon as I read it it clicked.

>>113046
That's mentioned in the notes so I figured that was going to be helpful but I wasn't sure how to use that without numerical values.
>>
>>113029
Do you have a picture?
>>
>>113029
>Answer is pi/2

Not true. Let a=<1,0> and b=<0,1> in (Z/2Z)^2, then C=<1,1> and D=<1,1> who's angle is 0.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.