[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Laptop choice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160410_002037.jpg (171 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160410_002037.jpg
171 KB, 1024x768
I'm in need of a laptop for everyday use, games (Dark Souls and first Fallout games mainly), making music and editing videos, but nothing really too amazing, so looking to spend 700-800$ on a secondhand. I was thinking of a 2009-2011 Macbook Pro (not sure about screen size, but might go for 15') as I like the clean looks (finish and software-wise) and the ease of use, but I've been Windows user my whole life, so I dont knkw if there are better options
Enlighten me please
>>
>>109759
A used MacBook is a pretty good idea. If you want to buy a used or new Windows notebook then try to avoid dedicated GPUs and especially gaming laptops as they generally speaking don't live longer than three years. Either way the hardware is the same, Windows 10 will run excellently on a ball of dirt and Dark Souls is so old it'll run on a partially polished ball of dirt.
>>
>>110137
I've got some options for a 2GHz Intel Duo or i5 with 4Gb RAM, but I don't really know how getting a Duo or an i5 (or 4gb to 8gb RAM for that matter) would affect the performance, also I'm only looking at the ones that come with an SSD
>>
>>109759
I'm on a macbook pro (2009) right now.
It is very, very under powered and does not perform well with games.

What you should do is a get a gaming/normal use laptop from newegg.
>>
>>111017
Here is a good choice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315165
>>
>>110137
I've had a 4 year old gaming laptop and it still runs.
> not alienware
>>
>>110100
check'd
>>
>>111017
>>111021
Dunno really, 2011 Macbooks look good for 600$ but thenagain I don't know if a brand new gaming laptop would endure as much for maybe 200$ that I might get
>>
It has to be really sturdy and durable, I dont know what I might do with it
>>
>>111021
I said generally speaking. I wasn't guaranteeing that all gaming laptops will die before they turn three but as a rule of thumb cramming an extra ASIC with an additional TDP of 35 watts into a small space is a bad idea. Keep in mind that 35 watt cards are very much on the low end and the high end cards easily put out 100 watts worth of heat in addition to what the CPU is already putting out. If this isn't setting off alarm bells in your head then I don't know what to say to you.
>>111489
A 2011 MacBook with HD 3000 graphics should be good for *most* of what you described but it's probably not going to be very good for Dark Souls.
>>
>>111678
So do you know any other alternative within the 800$ range that'll be decent at handling games, video or photo editing, that is durable and well built?
>>
>>111682
Look at used business notebooks. Used ThinkPads(Lenovo), EliteBooks(HP) and Latitudes(Dell) are great because they don't hold their value very well and business often swap out a lot of them in one go. They're also far sturdier than any consumer laptops. They're built well enough that a dedicated GPU is acceptable but keep in mind that they're relatively heavy.
>>
Does it need to be a laptop? Ignore me if you've heard it a thousand times and it must be portable, but the cost compared to value is a fraction of what you'd get if you bought a desktop. Modern-gen 3D games and video editing are fairly intensive so you're gonna need decent specs.
>>
>>111698
Will do, any spefific suggestions though?

>>111710
Already have a gaming desktop, but I now need a laptop
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.