[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
External or Internal HDD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 61H3rkSzomL._SX425_.jpg (15 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
61H3rkSzomL._SX425_.jpg
15 KB, 425x425
Hi, I was thinking about purchasing an External HDD for backing up some pictures, music, and anime.

Problem is, I don't know if I should buy an external one or an internal one.
I remember reading something on here and someone said to buy an internal one that I could connect with a docking station.
What's the difference? Should I go with that?
>>
>>128640
>reading something on here and someone said
nothing said here should be taken that seriously...

that being said, you should have an external drive used to backup the entire system on a regular basis

if it's just for storage, you may as well get a bare drive, it will be faster than usb....of course if you find an external cheap enough you can simply take the drive out and use it
>>
>>128640
I have seen this done but this was years ago in the days of Windows 2000 so I am little outdated the current developments...

Internal docks are primarly aimed for network administrators and operating systems with RAID - Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks - as a form of fault tolerance that would allow an admin to scale and....

Wait - could you be confusing docking stations for an external HDD enclosure? If so, Its basically the same as a external hard drive but its easier to swap out the drive from computer and the drive from the enclosure.

Personally, I would just go with flash drives - If you are going to collect and swap out drives, you ought be able to drop them without much consequence.
>>
>>128640

Just buy a regular hard drive and a $5 USB 3.0 External HDD enclosure. Now you have the best of both worlds, without paying a premium for someone taking the 8 seconds that it takes to put the drive in the case.
>>
>>128701
So an external hdd like pic related is pretty much that same as buy a bare hdd and the enclosure?
>>
>>128704
100% the same
>>
>>128705
Would any hdd be ok for any laptop?
Like this one? http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST2000DM001/dp/B005T3GRN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464243920&sr=8-1
>>
>>128709
you mean to put into a laptop?
it has to be a 2.5 inch drive, though some require them to be thinner than standard

enclosures are made for both 2.5 and 3.5 inch drives, a 2.5 would fit into a 3.5 case, but not the other way around
>>
>>128712
Not to put in, but to attach to an enclosure to connect to the laptop
>>
>>128715
any drive will do for that, however a 2.5 inch will be able to run just with power from usb, a 3.5 inch will have to have a power adapter plugged in
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.