[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Failed consoles that you like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: Virtual_Boy_IMG_1661.jpg (2 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
Virtual_Boy_IMG_1661.jpg
2 MB, 5000x5000
>Note I don't count consoles like the Saturn or Dreamcast as failed (as both sold nearly 10 million worldwide and had plenty of support and software titles).

A lot of consoles that bomb horribly still end up having a few notable software titles that end up being very good despite being on doomed hardware.

Pic related is my personal favorite.

Virtual Boy Wario Land is still probably the best Wario platformer, and I am still finding new hidden rooms through each play through. A masterpiece lost to time.

Galactic Pinball is a very underrated virtual pinball game, and overall probably even overlooked over other games in the Virtual Boy's very limited library. It even has a mini-game where you control Samus's starship.

Mario Clash is the sequel to the original Mario Bros, and has an unique three dimensional take on the 1983 arcade classic. Its arcade based gameplay is jarring for those who wanted an actual Mario platformer for this console, but Wario Land more than scratches that itch, and Mario Clash overall is a lot fresher than what another Mario Land title on the Virtual Boy would have been.

Mario's Tennis is a fun little tennis title that shows the depth perception capabilities with the VB hardware, but nothing else interesting about it, but its still fun.

Panic Bomber is a fun and addicting puzzle game, but does not do anything interesting with the Virtual Boy hardware.

Red Alarm is fun title, but its basically a watered-down Star Fox but with wire-frames instead of polygons.

Teleroboxer is basically a lost Punch-Out title.

Virtual Boy overall is pretty cozy imo despite having such a limited library and an ugly palette.

So what badly bombed consoles do you have a softspot for, and why?
>>
The VB is truly underappreciated. Too bad they've gotten expensive as fuck. Sure VB emulation is almost perfect, but it's nothing compared to playing the games on actual hardware.
>>
>>3350283
You underrate Red Alarm. Git gud at strafing and it becomes a lot more fun.
>>
I'm a big Gundam/Super Robot Wars games and I'm planning to eventually get a VB to play this game.

It's a bit hard to come by though. I've already emulated it but I want to see how it feels like using the real thing.
>>
>>3350346
I've tried it. It's OK, but the game itself is retardedly expensive and you won't play it enough to justify the price. Your best bet is to get a FlashBoy (VB flashcart), it's way less expensive.
>>
>>3350283
>that immediate followup post because some anon asked about tripods
this board is starved for discussion.
>>
File: IMG_0940.png (209 KB, 650x273) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0940.png
209 KB, 650x273
I never see anyone talk about this, but I enjoyed it for what it was.
>>
File: 3do.jpg (19 KB, 522x295) Image search: [Google]
3do.jpg
19 KB, 522x295
>>3350283
What do you guys think about the 3DO?
>>
>>3350376

any good games for it?

>>3350425
I like the sailor moon fighting game on it
>>
Atari 7800
>>
>>3350283
Depends what you call failed. A while back plenty of babies considered the Saturn a failure. I guess they changed their mind when they discovered Japan existed at the time.
>>
>>3350425

I got one used with Gex. That gave me an inflated idea of how good a system it was. Likewise when on a whim I picked up a used Jaguar and Tempest 2000 and was like holy shit this is awesome why did this system fail?

I just had unfathomably good luck to get some of the only good games for those consoles
>>
>>3350429
>any good games for it?
Mostly improved ports of home computer games.
>>
sega cd
>>
>>3350425

I bought a Goldstar 3DO and about 18 or so games for it, back in the early 1990s. I must have spent about £800 in all, and I sold the lot to Cash Convertors less than a year for £75

UK Cash Convertors horror stories thread?
>>
>>3353012
>>3353012
agreed. Full motion video games FTW. Mad Dog McCree!

Ive been trying to fix mine for years but I cant find a good person who can fix and repair the lens and/or motor that breaks on everyone's system.

It would just be for show though because the Sega CD plays without any copy protection so you can just play them on your computer. But the system is so elegant (the standalone one with the genesis port in the back)
>>
>>3350425
Russians insanely love it, like it didn't fail.
>>
>>3350425
Immercenary is a neat game, at least read about it if you don't have a 3DO. It's honestly not that amazing gameplay-wise, but the idea and scope is very interesting.
>>
>>3350326
This, Red Alarm is tied with Mario Clash for favorite VB game.

>>3350639
Any notable examples? I'm not familiar with Amstrad stuff.

>>3350476
It plays all the 2600 games, it's good by default!
>>
File: Vectrex_machines[1].jpg (1 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
Vectrex_machines[1].jpg
1 MB, 2272x1704
>>3350283
How to define a failed console? You said Dreamcast wasn't one despite it putting Sega's hardware line in the grave so I'm not really sure what the criteria is. What makes VB special is its novel display. As you said, emulation doesn't do it justice and another great example of a "failed" console with a novel display you should also see with your own eyes is Vectrex.
>>3350425
3DO is a great example but practically everything on it was also available on other platforms.
>>
>>3353012
Sega CD failed?
>>
>Virtua Fighter port that's better than the buggy shit they got on the Saturn
>Virtua Racing port that's better than the horrible one that they farmed out to Time Warner on the Saturn
>Space Harrier port that doesn't auto-center Harrier, making the game actually playable on a D-Pad (Sorry, Saturn)
If this thing was released a year earlier, I think it would have done really well.
>>
File: 32xsolo.jpg (6 KB, 256x169) Image search: [Google]
32xsolo.jpg
6 KB, 256x169
>>3354568
I was talking about pic related but forgot to upload the pic
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.