[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dragon Quest Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55
File: alenadq4.jpg (1 MB, 1202x1700) Image search: [Google]
alenadq4.jpg
1 MB, 1202x1700
You are hired at Square Enix. They noticed that Dragon Quest is doing well in Japan but not so well elsewhere. They want to expand their market, and they are giving you unlimited resources and one year to do with whatever you please. How would you introduce Dragon Quest to as many new individuals as possible?

Also, discuss whatever else Dragon Quest that you would like to get off your shoulders.
>>
Kami Tier:
Dragon Quest V

High Tier:
Dragon Quest III

Mid Tier:
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest

Low Tier:
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VI

Shit Tier:
Dragon Quest II
>>
>>3310180
i wouldn't put anything under "shit". your opinions are your own tho so whatev
>>
>>3310165
>How would you introduce Dragon Quest to as many new individuals as possible?
Rename it to Final Fantasy Quest.
Add FF cameos/costumes/jobs.
Have Nomura act like it's a new series and recommend it.
>>
I'd hire a competent localization team who doesn't use retarded accents and release them in the West. I'd also hire some competent PR people to promote it.
>>
Make Nintendo stop censoring the sword on the logo.
>>
File: Dragon Quest III Classes.png (36 KB, 470x370) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest III Classes.png
36 KB, 470x370
>>3310165
You have the right answer already, OP.
Bikinis. Those are the answer.
>>
File: draque_i-ii-iii.png (320 KB, 485x272) Image search: [Google]
draque_i-ii-iii.png
320 KB, 485x272
I'm currently playing through the Super Famicom library, and I'm at II. This is my first time giving the series a run, and I really enjoyed I. I heard many great things about III, but II is really starting to drag for me. I miss being a lonewolf on an adventure like how I is. I feel like my main Hero is stuck babysitting to shitters with magic.

Nonetheless, I'm halfway done with the game, and I'm enjoying the overworld and enemies. I'll play III and V and then go for the 3DS version of VII.
>>
>>3310240
II drags on for everyone. Don't worry.
>>
>>3310207
i was thinking they should have done some sort of crossover while FF was exploding in popularity in the U.S. maybe like a Pokemon x DQ game.
>>
Advertise it with Toriyama.
>"From the creator of Dragon Ball Z"
in big words.
>>
>>3310261
But he doesn't do anything except character and monster design. He doesn't write the plot, or anything.
>>
>>3310268
That's irrelevant.
>>
>>3310268
And? People will buy anything that reminds them of Dragon Ball.
Heck Toriyama's designs were one of the popular points of DQ when it started.
>>
>>3310261

This isn't the 90's, that shit won't work.
>>
>>3310165

I would demand some creative control over the next game. I don't think DQ is as popular in the West due to its reluctance to change the series' established formula. Enix has tacked on a few new mechanics as the series has developed, but for the most part, the core of DQ gameplay is identical from one sequel to the next. One immediate transition I would make is to a real-time battle engine. Turn-based has been done to death. If that's your preference, then stick with the classic DQ games.

I also think the story and character development are severely lacking. Especially character development. How about giving the characters some real-life struggles that shape their personalities as the player advances farther into the story? Ideally, character development could be non-linear, which is to say various choices the player makes will impact character development on different levels, ultimately culminating in noticeable personality changes for better or worse.
>>
>>3310290
Just like the recent FF titles.
>>
>>3310290
I'm pretty sure SquareEnix (and Enix before) has no actual developmental control over Dragon Quest. Horii, Toriyama, and Sugiyama control the franchise.
>>
>>3310287
You kidding? Dragonball is more popular now than ever thanks to Super and Xenoverse.
>>
>>3310240
Moonbrooke gets good. Cannock is always shit though.
>>
>>3310505
Poor Princeton.
Never gets any love.
>>
>>3310505
>>3310564
isn't he somewhat better in the SNES/GBC version
>>
File: 1466102553881.jpg (255 KB, 800x1113) Image search: [Google]
1466102553881.jpg
255 KB, 800x1113
The last petition from Operation Hero got SE to localized Dragon Quest 7 and 8 for the 3DS and Heroes and Builders.
Let's get SE to localized Dragon Quest 11 when it comes out sometime next year.

https://www.change.org/p/square-enix-square-enix-localize-dragon-quest-11-to-the-west-once-released
>>
>>3310606
i hope they bring over the sequel to the musou

i want it on my vita
>>
>>3310165
VIII and IX both had a good amount of advertisements and did better than other installments sales wise, so the first step is just getting the word out. TV/web commercials, store banners, etc.
Next, appealing to casuals AND hardcore players. Have the option to choose between field enemies or random encounters, have it set to field by default, and don't mention the option to change encounter type except in the manual and the options menu. This way casuals won't be overloaded with information or tempted to make the game unbeatable for themselves, and hardcore players who go to the options anyway will see it. Make enemies require buffing or status effects to properly take on en masse, this way the casuals will play stealthily and avoid fights (except the occasional easy enemies/high exp enemies) and hc players get the oldschool experience.
V and VI had monster taming, VI DS had slime teammates + Lizzie, VII had monster classes and VIII had arena teams. My suggestion for monster inclusion in the next game would be to have a character use slimes as a weapon/ability. This isn't necessarily going to expand the market but I want to see it and I'm in charge. Maybe make a slime amiibo for the Nintendo versions of the next game that you can raise into any of the hundreds of variants slimes have, it would make the amiibo collectors go for it.
Oh, I guess one last thing to get westerners to buy the games is to LOCALIZE THEM. EVER WONDER WHY TERRY'S WONDERLAND 3D ISN'T DOING SO HOT IN AMERICA? BECAUSE IT'S NOT IN AMERICA (and because it's not pokemon)! And don't go confusing that statement to mean "Please set the next DQ in America."
>>
i think it wouldn't hurt to have more female player characters. or more diverse characters. stella was a good design, but she was just a menu decal. it is obvious toriyama has talent. i don't quite know how he chooses designs.
>>
>>3311172
11's hero looks pretty boring honestly
>>
>>3310261
>introducing VII on Nintendo Treehouse
>and you can see the artwork by Akira Toriyama, who also worked on Chrono Trigger.
>.
Just fucking say Dragon Ball, it's his biggest, most popular work for fuck's sake.
>>
>>3310240
In Three you can go full lonewolf if you want (to die).
>>
>>3310290
So you want to make DQ a FF? What's the point then?
>>
>>3311261
>that part where they explain tsundere
>>
>>3310290
>One immediate transition I would make is to a real-time battle engine. Turn-based has been done to death.
Delete your account.
>>
This is a long shot, but w/e. I'm trying to get DQVii working on psx4android. Got the correct BIOS sitting right there in the same folder with the game ( .cue and .img) and while it sees the bios, the game is nowhere to be found when i go to load it up? I figured someone else around here has done this successfully.
>>
Release a main series game. Actually advertise it.

Pay me my money.
>>
>>3311262
Is their any successful DQ III solo run?
>>
>>3310261
>>3310394
>>3311261
>People still care about Toriyama
It's like I'm on /v/
>>
>>3311678
refer again to >>3310394
>>
>>3311642
I imagine a solo TAS would be successful, but that's pretty much cheating.
>>
To make it DQ appealing to the west, you would just make it pic related.

I honestly don't understand Draqon Quest's success in Japan.
But it's definitely rooted in tradition.

The trouble is that tradition is archaic for a western audience.
>>
>>3312789
>I honestly don't understand Draqon Quest's success in Japan.
They're light-hearted adventures with likeable characters, cute/funny characters and a simple battle system that anyone can grasp.
>The trouble is that tradition is archaic for a western audience.
In that case they should just keep the series in Japan and enjoy success rather than try to pander to western sensibilities and produce games that absolutely no one wants. You already have Final Fantasy, don't try to ruin DQ along with it.
>>
Heroes was a great start.

>Every installment: Changes to remakes on mobile are free to people that bought the shit versions. Refund VIII.

>Port remakes to as many platforms as possible, namely steam and any home consoles DQ doesn't have a presence on. You have to put a product out there before people will come.

>Re-translate games that were touched up in the localization phases to use plainer English in line with the plain Japanese of the original scripts.

>Names should be as similar to Japanese in as many languages as possible, as long as direct translation isn't awkward. Stop changing them for the sake of "flavor"!

>Trickle out the releases like what was done with FF so the market isn't saturated. I suggest selling I - III as a set and the others as individual games.

>Use the symphonic suites for music whenever available. At least half the series has them. Only the US version of 8 uses them. Chiptunes and synths do Sugiyama's music a disservice!

>Game-specifics

>I: Bring it in line with the SFC version.
>II: As I, but then remake everything after acquiring the ship so you can play it without using a damn guide.
>III: Same is I.
>IV: Remove accents. Make sure party chat and the postgame are present.
>V: Port the PS2 version's graphics, but implement Debora is a marriage candidate.
>VI: Port the DS version. Accents may have to go. I haven't played this in the original language.
>VII: Port the trimmed down 3DS version.
>VIII: The mobile version is an embarrassment. Either make it work or remove it altogether, backporting its content to the PS2 version, remastering it, and releasing it for current gen consoles. This is the best looking game in the series. Use it as a gateway drug.
>IX: Haven't played. I think it needs a revamp so you can play the whole game offline. That's all I know.
>X: Ignore. The series isn't big enough in the west to sustain it.
>XI: Translate and see what happens.
>>
>>3313575
>Chiptunes and synths do Sugiyama's music a disservice!
I disagree but okay.
>>
>>3313585
I didn't grow up with DQ. I came to it later. IV was my first game. I do listen to classical music outside of games, though. I think that's why I prefer the symphonic suites.
>>
>2/3 of the way through DQII
>can't feel arsed to finish

H-Help
>>
>>3313602
That's normal. Get a walkthrough. The last third of DQII is awful. You'll need it to finish the game. And I hope to God you aren't playing the SFC fan translation. It's broken. I lost a game to that. I'll probably finish it in runes.
>>
>>3310180
Swap 5 and 4 and we have a deal
>>
>>3310290
Absolutely disgusting, this would ruin the series. DQ is literally the only traditional jRPG out there, and faggots like you can't stand it.
>>
Not the anon you replied to, but I like the series' gameplay for the most part. The only thing I take issue with is the one to three hour long grind every DQ seems to have at the end before I can beat the final boss. People tend to overstate the level grinding in the series. It's the end that's the real problem. The rest is usually fine with an exception or two, such as Dhoulmagus in VIII. You need to do a bit of grinding to beat him.
>>
>>3313575
Should add
>IX: trim down the puns to an acceptable level
>>
>>3313670
IX has issues with puns? I haven't played it, but that falls into my "make the English plainer" point. The only case I can think of where a localization has more flavor than the original text and it's actually good is FFXII. I expect that's thanks to Alexander O. Smith being the lead translator. What's he up to now anyway?

The only puns in DQ I actually like are the slime puns. They aren't in the original Japanese, but they're cute in English. The others should go.
>>
>>3313679
Slime puns are gooreat *slurp*.
>>
>>3313638
Metal slimes exist for a reason, I really enjoy catching the fuckers in every DQ game,
DQ8 had a liquid metal slime spawn in the castle where the king is from, you could overlevel everyone. 10k EXP for every kill, that's like 3 levels when you first go through that dungeon.
>>
>>3313707
That's what I did after he wiped my party once.
>>
>>3313593
I didn't grow up with it either I just really enjoy the sfc and gbc soundtracks for 1-3.
>>
>>3313603
Nah, I'm doing it on the NES. Why is the SFC version so awful? Is there only one fan translation?
>>
>>3313775
Its only translation crashes the game, I think.
>>
>>3313775
Fan translations of DQ should be avoided, Play DQ1-4 on the NES and 5-6 on the DS.
>>
>>3313791
>Fan translations of DQ should be avoided

Don't get me started on the quality of SE localizations. You should absolutely avoid the DS versions.

I normally don't bother with fan translations since I both have some understanding of Japanese and fan translators have no professional grasp of the English language. Still, Square Enix is very much on par with the kind of shit you'll see in fan-translated ROMs. It's not just that their English grammar or usage sucks, but their translations are very loose at best. Official localizations are usually guilty of making a lot of arbitrary or censorship changes though, no matter the company. SE does not rise above this practice. And a lot of that has to do with whether or not the game is released on a Nintendo platform.
>>
>>3313791
Fuck your shit
The fan translations of I, II, III, and VI don't have the same dumb bullshit the translations of Final Fantasy IV and Tales of Phantasia. They're actually good.
Well, except for VI since it was never completely finished, but it's still playable.
>>
File: 600px-DragonQuest3_RPGtriangle.png (83 KB, 600x317) Image search: [Google]
600px-DragonQuest3_RPGtriangle.png
83 KB, 600x317
playing dq3 on snes. how many times will i be able to class change in a single run of the game? its seems like its infinite but if im not maxing out all characters and just going through the game will i be able to class chane more than once?

right now i'm thinking

soldier->thief
mage->sage
priest->solider
>>
>>3313814
You can change classes as many times as you want, but if you keep changing, you'll eventually negate the stat "bonuses" you get.
Like if you switch a high level Mage to a Fighter, you're going to have some MP that a Fighter would never get naturally, but if you keep changing classes, you're going to lose more and more of that MP, especially if you switch between classes that don't gain MP or gain very little of it.

It's generally best to switch each part member once or maybe twice. Or not even switching at all is also a valid strategy.
>>
If you play remakes of 1-4, you're basically playing third-hand games. The original NES localizations were already updates to the Famicom games, there's nothing wrong with them. Personally I fail to see the point of playing a series that THRIVES on nostalgia and traditionalism as modernized remakes, the experience of playing the originals pays dividends in later references. They also universally make the games casual and remove the struggle of passing through new dungeons, which is one of the best aspects.
Retranslations are perhaps the only reason to contemplate remakes, since some stuff was removed from US releases. But the sacrifice is too big.
>>
>>3313819
what about reclassing back to the original? like solider->thief->soldier just for the added speed?
>>
Beware, however, of IV's awful AI on the NES. Terrible as the DS version's accents are, I prefer it over rolling the dice in the original game every time a character that isn't the hero acts.

DQ I - III on the SFC/GBC reduce the grind a lot. I don't recommend the NES versions because I don't like grinding. The graphics and music are also better, even if it isn't a huge improvement on GBC.

My overall recommendations would be

I: SFC (fan translation works here. I cleared it that way.)
II: GBC (fan translation broken, play SFC in runes if you can)
III: There's a fan translation for the SFC version? Can you complete it? If not, GBC.
IV: See above. Playing in Japanese is a possibility to avoid accents. I did. Consider the PS1 remake if you're able to read it!
V: DS. The PS2 version is fan translated. Some of the dungeons are laid out differently too. DS has an additional marriage candidate. Your mileage may vary. I played the DS version so I recommend it. Either should be fine.
VI: DS. Some accents present, but not horrible.
VII: 3DS if you can wait. PS1 is bloated.
VIII: PS2. Mobile version is broken.
There are no choices beyond that.
>>
>>3313831
If you're going to do that, why not just start the party member out as a thief instead? You'd get a larger total agility bonus out of it.
>>
>>3313814
When you change classes you keep half your stats and return to level 1 in the new class. There's no limit to changing but the bonuses get smaller and less worth it the more you change.
>>3313831
If you go to level x soldier then switch, you'll have half those stats when you start a thief. When you go back to being a soldier after y levels of thief, you'll have 1/4 the stats of the original soldier + 1/2 the stats you gained as a thief + any thief spells (if they had any this game) + whatever stats you gain leveling your new level 1 soldier.
>>
>>3313849
I think people exaggerated how broken the patch is for II.
There's only like one or two spots the game will completely break.

As for III, it's a fully complete translation. And there's nothing broken about it.
>>
>>3313857
>>3313852
hm ok. think ill just stick with my party besides mage->sage
but yea i already started the game
>>
>>3313862
Yeah, there's nothing really wrong going with pure soldier, pure priest, and mage>sage. Remember, you can always get more sages by getting a jester to twenty if you really want.
>>
Found this last night, prototype designs for tbe characters from IV. These are said to be from 1988. Here's Torneko.
>>
Alena
>>
Kiryl
>>
Last one is Meena. Obviously the art isn't by Toriyama so maybe they had someone else do the character designs.
>>
>>3314214
Oh shit, forgot it. Looking at it now it kinda resembles aspects of both their designs.
>>
>>3314214
Which is kinda weird, since Toriyama is supposed to be in charge of character design. That's his "thing" as part of the "DQ Trio"
>>
>>3310207
I was avoiding Final Fantasy Adventure for the longest time, thinking it's yet another Final Fantasy shit spinoff. Didn't know it's actually a game
>>
Was the marketing not everything that went wrong?
And the fact that they never bothered making it as international as FF.
>>
File: 146482129489.jpg (50 KB, 752x407) Image search: [Google]
146482129489.jpg
50 KB, 752x407
>Final Fantasy games on discount on steam
>Dragon Quest Heroes still full price
Great marketing
>>
I have one that would only really cost development time and literally no one would say no too. Just add Slime to Smash. Yeah Sakurai might be pissed to have to make a new character but with the 30th anniversary I can't imagine he would just not do it. Everyone would report on it and Dragon Quest will be more well known to the world outside of Japan. Also put the DS DQ games on VC for people that would like to play them. Hell put all the DQ games on VC I have no idea why they are not.
>>
>>3315637
>Slime in Smash
SLIME
OOZES IN
Alright, moveset ideas, GO
>>
File: 2016-06-25 11.58.41.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 11.58.41.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Posting this here. I got ripped off according to amazon prices, but what do you think? Was an additional 10% off.
>>
>>3315734

$8 is pretty much what you're going to pay when you factor shipping costs, and I haven't seen the game (in that condition) go for less than $10 on eBay.

It's a pretty solid game, by the way. You can see the inspiration between Ultima and Dragon Quest. Ultima definitely requires a guide though. You're placed in a completely open world and given no real hints as to what needs to be done to advance. Literally, it's just "grab these quest-related items from non-disclosed locations, then head straight to the final dungeon." Interestingly, if you know what you're doing, the game can be completed in 20 minutes or less. It's not like DQ where the game forces you to grind between areas just to pad out the length of the story.
>>
>>3314270
Ishizu Ishtar?
>>
>>3315254
It's the first entry in the seiken densetsu series
>>
>>3315765
which part of
>for the longest time
and
>Didn't know
was so hard to understand?
>>
>>3315645
Final Smash: King Slime
>>
>>3315752
Awesome. I have been playing dragon warrior 2 lately and i love it. I see it get some moderate dislike around here but they are probably just fags. Grinding is fun. I see that 3 and 4 go for like 70 bux on ebay and I cannot justify that price.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (17 KB, 237x213) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
17 KB, 237x213
>Announce DQ8 and DQ11 on the 3DS for NA and EU already
>Maybe do a remake collection of 1, 2, and 3 as well like they did with 4, 5, and 6
>Fire everyone in SE's marketing department and hire people who don't have their heads up their asses

Wow. That was so fucking hard.
It pisses me off being a DQ fan knowing full well that the only reason it isn't as popular anywhere else in the world is strictly because they don't advertise it well. The consumer gets fucked over out of a few main titles and spin-offs because they can't be bothered to shell out a few grand for a TV spot or jewtube commercial.
>>
>>3316098
>they don't advertise it well
good games can run on word of mouth
>>
File: 2016-06-25 15.12.07.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 15.12.07.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>3316129
Sorry. Let's try again.
>>
>>3315894
It's just not as good as 1, 3, or 4. Tile searching and Rhone kind of kill enjoyment. Great music though.
>>
>>3313787
There is a patch that fixes those issues.
>>
>completely bypass the SNES
>first game published in Europe is 8
>shitty mobile versions

They're not even trying.
>>
>>3316107
They run even better with advertisment.
>>
>>3316098
>Announce DQ8 on the 3DS for NA and EU already
This has already been done.

>maybe do a remake collection of 1, 2, and 3
Holy shit these games have been remade four times already give them a rest
>>
>>3312789
Ni No Kuni was a slog. Fuck that game.
>>
>>3315814
Think Tank Slime would be more fitting.
>>3315894
2's major problems.

1 being your two other characters are WEAK. With there being a ongoing joke about Cannock dying all the time (and he's the one with the resurrection spell). Princess Moonbrooke has actual more health and defense since she gets a special gear but there's just a lot of enemies near the end that's resistant to spells.

2 is finding the crests. They are just annoying to find. Where you have to search every square hoping to find something. Yeah you have the flute to help but you still need to search for it and that's just annoying.

Once you know where the crests are and it's just sailing with great music and grinding the game gets infinity better.
>>
>>3313603
What level does my party need to be before the final section, after collecting the crests? Right now it's 20-18-15.
>>
>>3317003
>1 being your two other characters are WEAK. With there being a ongoing joke about Cannock dying all the time
I heard this issue was fixed in the SF/GBC version. I've only played the Super Famicon version, and Prince of Cannock has pretty much the same HP and defense of Princess of Moonbrooke.
>>
>>3313608
A deal's a deal, anon.
>>
>>3317054
>What level does my party need to be before the final section

I wouldn't feel safe to wander freely around Rhone until I hit max level. I'm sure some people can get by without that much grinding, but the area's difficulty isn't exaggerated at all. Even at max level, there's still that slight chance the Random Number God won't let you survive the trip to Hargon's Castle followed by the boss gauntlet that ensues therein.

This game doesn't mess around.

Also, be sure to grab the Thunder Sword from the Cave to Rhone. As I recall, you can either find it in a chest, or there's a certain enemy that can drop it. I believe I received it in the form of a drop. It's arguably Prince of Midenhall's best weapon, unless you use the un-equip exploit with the Sword of Darkness.

>>3317003

The mages aren't all that squishy. First time I played the game was when I picked up the original NES version, and I didn't have any particular difficulty keeping Cannock or the princess alive. I was very proactive about grinding though, and I made it a point to upgrade armor whenever possible. Actually, I think I went for the Water Flying Cloth as early as the game allows. That probably made all the difference.

It also helps to spend a minimum amount of time in dungeons. I just rush in, grab what I need, and warp out. There's really no reason to go around opening every chest you see since they respawn anyway.
>>
>>3317137
Is the max level 30?
>>
>>3317143

No. It's different for each character. I believe it's:

Prince of Midenhall - Level 50
Prince of Cannock - Level 45
Princess of Moonbrooke - Level 35

Reason being that your party members start at lower levels when you recruit them, but their stats at those levels aren't necessarily disproportionate to yours. Why Enix didn't just make them a higher level to begin with, I don't know.
>>
>>3315637
someone on /v/ had the neat idea of DQ's rep being the heroes of I-VIII as one character like Bowser Jr/Koopalings
>>
>>3316440
gonna be hard to outperform minecraft in the ads-to-popularity department. That's your yardstick
>>
>>3317162
Jesus fuck. That's at least 20 hours of grinding alone.
>>
File: Gold-batboon.png (750 B, 116x108) Image search: [Google]
Gold-batboon.png
750 B, 116x108
>>3317192

Took me a week's worth of grinding in Rhone. Rhone is both sadly the best place to grind and the most dangerous area in the entire game. Five minutes into Rhone and you'll quickly understand why Gold Batboons are the most hated enemies in the game.
>>
File: too big to be called bait.jpg (209 KB, 756x1100) Image search: [Google]
too big to be called bait.jpg
209 KB, 756x1100
>>3310290
>>
>>3316925
this person is correct. ni no kuni is "Just Another Boring RPG." had more faith in Level-5.
>>
>>3317413
>had more faith in Level-5.
Yeah me too. At least the soundtrack was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVck0U5H7CM
>>
File: Only sadness and rage.png (75 KB, 520x360) Image search: [Google]
Only sadness and rage.png
75 KB, 520x360
>>3317168
That could be neat too. I just like the idea of Slime since it's well more well known.
>>3317212
Hi.
>Give a enemy Sacrifice which means nothing to the actual enemy
One of the most dickish thing in video game history. Also fuck those blue flame guys that cast Defeat.
>>
>>3317958
>One of the most dickish thing in video game history.
At least you only lose gold. Some games like Wizardry or Megami Tensei had level drain which is a fate worse than death.
>>
>>3317973
True. I was being hyperbolic anyways since I can list a million other really awful things too. Like as you said Wizardry 4 might be just one of the most annoyingly hard game of all time because of how much shit you had to know before playing it.
>>
>>3317973
isn't death when you lose the whole character, including all their stats, levels and whatnot?
>>
>>3317976
>because of how much shit you had to know before playing it
that doesn't sound right. Surely the people playing it back then didn't know that shit, they learned it, probably the hard way.
>>
>>3317979
Dead characters can be revived.
It's not some Roguelike with permadeath. There's only a small chance that reviving goes wrong and even then there's a good chance to keep them.
>>
>>3317981
revived without penalty? What's the use of death then?
>>
>>3317985
Inconvenience.
A dead character can't act. If all your characters are dead they are stuck in the dungeon until somebody alive retrieves them.
Reviving also costs quite a bit of money.

Keep in mind that there's monsters that can instantly kill a character, having no way to get them back would be a bit too mean.
>>
>>3317992
>Inconvenience
quite a misleading name then

>having no way to get them back would be a bit too mean
would it? People constantly beg for senselessly hard games. Get some hard right there
>>
>>3318000
>would it? People constantly beg for senselessly hard games. Get some hard right there
That's what Wizardry 4 is for.
>>
>>3317980
There's a reason why people view 4 as either the best in the series or the worst game ever.
>Had to know about all the characters and spells right at the start of the game
>Had to know about Monty Python and the Holy Grail
>Had to know basically everything about Wizardry 1 to just beat the game
>Grandmaster ending
There's a whole bunch of things Wizardry 4 did that made it really fucking annoying to play.
http://lparchive.org/Wizardry-IV/
>>
>>3318016
Did you? Were they in the manual? If not, how did players back then deal with the situation?

>Had to know about Monty Python and the Holy Grail
That's a simple requirement for living on this planet, like the ability to breathe

>Had to know basically everything about Wizardry 1 to just beat the game
Not a bad idea to know the previous games in a series

>Grandmaster ending
does not sound like a requirement
>>
>>3318020
Go shitpost about Wizardry in a Wizardry thread.
>>
>>3318038
That's shitposting now? I'd dare say the people ripping the game apart are doing it more than I am.
I just find the claim that you
a bit ridiculous. That's not even a wizardry specific thing. If anybody claims you have to know X and Y to play a game, something is off. Unless these things are in the manual, learning these things is part of playing the game.
>>
I'm so tired of grinding DQII. I just wanna move onto DQIII already.
>>
>>3319514
Exact same bus. I'm temped to just skip it at this point.
>>
>>3319514
I just finished DQ1 using fastforward on 1 and it made it a decent experience.
>>
>>3319514
>>3319514
>>3319630
You guys are fags. Get off my lawn.
>>
>>3319514
>>3319614
Do it, 3 is a lot better.
>>
>>3320185
No anon, YOU are the fag. I like to grind, but the amounts required in DQII are just retarded. DQI was way more fun, and I know DQIII is GOAT having played it on GBC. It's hard to enjoy the taste of shit when you know you have fresh cake on the way.
>>
>>3320295
NES DQ2 personally isn't that bad once you know where the crests are. They are way too well hidden for it's own good. DQ3 hides their magical items but it's much easier to notice where you would need to search. Like moving a boulder and search under it.

As for grinding another problem is that there's no good way to really grind for levels. Liquid Metal Slimes don't really give all that much EXP compare to the high end enemies. So everything takes way too long.
>>
Not that it's all that needed but here's a link for DQ1 name calculator. Since your name gives you a different leveling layout. But in the end you will need to grind and can beat the game with any name.
>>
>>3320334
http://www.woodus.com/den/games/web/dwsim/

Feel like a moron now.
>>
File: 20160626_213645.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160626_213645.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Need help, think I found a nasty glitch and need help. This is dragon quest III on sfc/snes version 1.00.

Right now I am in the immigrant town, the area where you bring the merchant to become mayor of the village. The problem I have is in accessing the final phase of this section, in which the mayor is thrown in jail. Online, both in written and video walkthrough, I find all I am suppose to do is talk to the group of men at night seen above. Sorry for the shitty phone picture. Anyway I talk to them, stay at the inn to trigger it to be day time, and see nothing has changed. This is mandatory to progress the story and get the yellow orb. Please if anyone knows anything I would appreciate it greatly.
>>
>>3320629
have you paid any attention to the story, NPCs and stuff?
>>
>>3320629
Try going home sleeping and sail back there. You might need the game day/night to cycle to make it happen and sailing back takes a bit to do.
>>
>>3310165
>Build time travel device
>Warp back to 1986
>Convince the powers that be to localize and sell this game later that year instead of in 1989
>Do the same with Dragon Quest 2 in 1987
>VERY IMPORTANT! Do the same thing for Dragon Quest 3! If you succeed, DQ3 will be in the West around the same time as FF1, which is a MUCH better competition than being out around the same time as DQ1. Plus DQ will have presence due to being around longer when there were less console rpg options
>Don't drop the ball, continue the convincing for prudent localizations with DQ4 5 and 6. Actually fricking localize DQ 5 and 6 instead of skipping the SNES generation when the genre fanbase was growing.

If you manage to do all of this, then the alternate history should be one where more people in the West have fonder memories of the series. It probably won't beat FF after FFVII did its thing, but it would have more longtime fans.

DQ fights an uphill battle these days thanks to not having the buildup of presence among gamers that it had in Japan.
>>
>>3320778
I dunno if that would work.
Part of the reason 5 and 6 were never originally localized was because Enix pulled out of the worldwide market for a while.
>>
>>3320629
In the nes version you have to complete certain story missions to allow you to advance time in that town. I would assume it's the same in the sfc version. You'll know which quests do it when, after completing the quest, there's text that says something about morning coming, and it'll automatically switch from night to day.
>>
what are the primary differences between the two versions of Monsters 2?
>>
>>3320308
Without spoiling to me where they're hidden since I haven't played the game yet, what makes them so well hidden that a guide is basically necessary?
>>
>>3321295
they just don't give you hints to where they are, and they're invisibile objects placed on single tiles. you aren't "spoiling" the game by using gamefaqs, you're fixing it. the reason why people have so much pride over not using a guide is that games are usually built so well that you don't need to use one. unfortunately for Dragon Warrior II, this is not the case.
>>
>>3321549
Alright, so if I didn't look up a guide, would there be a way for me to deduce where they are? Like, oh, they must be in the middle of this endgame tier dungeon? Oh, one must be at this small place I haven't been to yet? Oh, this location lines up with where it was in DQ I?
If it really is such a crapshoot I think I'll use a guide when I get to that point.
>>
>>3321562
The crests aren't the first thing you will need to find by searching tiles, you will have an idea.
You want a hint? You will not only need to search the right tile, but search the right tile while facing the right direction to find some of them.
>>
What are the best versions of the first 3 dragon Quest games? I downloaded the fan translations for the snes, but it seems as if they are pretty vilified
>>
>>3321624
No, those are the best way to play them, it's just that there are a couple of bugs in II
>>
>>3321624
They're not vilified at all, it's just that II (and only II) has a couple of bugs in the translation patch, that can cause a crash, and only in a couple specific areas.
The SFC versions actually are the best versions.
>>
>>3321624
NES for I (not famicom, NES, because NES has sprites for each direction you face)
Either of GBC or SNES for II and III. SNES has a chance of crashing for II because of a name with seven characters, and GBC III has a second bonus dungeon and is the official translation.
Also personally I like the gbc music better than snes, but I'm notorious for having bad tastes so look them up yourself and decide.
>>
>>3320778
The problem with why DQ didn't do that well is because of the demographic. Famicom had young and old playing it and RPG tends to be more for adults than pre-teens. While the NES was almost mostly a kids device. Parents played it but the amount of adults playing the NES wasn't that high compare to Famicom.

Honestly it might have been better for them not to release the NES games and held off until the SNES version of 1-3. It would have been cheaper for Enix and they wouldn't have felt too burn by US.
>>
>>3321624
Because this is a weeaboo board and people loath translations.
>>
File: Metal Slime.gif (482 B, 38x38) Image search: [Google]
Metal Slime.gif
482 B, 38x38
>>
>>3310165
Get marketing to misrepresent it as a Skyrim clone. But don't change the game at all.
>>
>>3310165
Turn it into a FPS, and all the characters are homosexual dudes. Trust me, Square-sama! Amurikans love this fag shit!
>>
>>3321761
This board isn't just console fags. We play PC games too, weeaboo in denial.
>>
>>3322027
Untranslated Japanese PC games.
>>
File: Metabble fled.gif (686 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Metabble fled.gif
686 KB, 480x270
>>3321816
>>
>>3322039
Untranslated russian games.
>>
>>3315254
Final Fantasy Adventure is great. A really strong soundtrack
>>
File: baramos_mob.jpg (106 KB, 620x247) Image search: [Google]
baramos_mob.jpg
106 KB, 620x247
>played V sfc and IV DS
>pretty easy but enjoyable
>now start playing III sfc
>things are going pretty good
>finally get to baramos
>slaughters my party repeatedly
Holy shit why is this guy so tough? My party is hero lvl 31, fighter lvl 30, theif lvl 29, sage lvl 24. Am I underleveled? Any advice?
>>
>>3322949
Stopspell
>>
>>3322949
Welcome to early Dragon Quest
Expect sudden difficulty spikes.
>>
>>3321624
I am this anon, and I just beat dragon warrior 1 sfc, it was pretty easy to be honest.

What are the glitches I have to watch out for on the second game?

>>3321635
This anon mentioned it
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
25 KB, 480x360
>>3322967
The one I know of is that you will encounter an npc who uses the same sprite as the prince of cannock, DO NOT TALK TO HIM your file will be fucked as seen below.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-6hTn3atNiw
>>
>>3322958
Marquis de Leon says hi.
>>
>>3322967
>>3322978
There's a soldier in Cannock Castle at the end of the game that can cause a crash as well, IIRC. I could be wrong, though.
>>
>>3322967
>What are the glitches I have to watch out for on the second game?
Don't talk to the nun after you beat the final boss because she will lock you into an infinite dialogue loop
>>
>>3323028
Isn't that only if you have a long name? If you just have a 4 character length name everything is fine I've heard.
>>
>>3323032
I don't know but it happened to me so I'm just putting it out there
>>
Trying the DQH2 demo on Vita TV
What the fuck does the game want me to do when saying:
"Right Touch screen
or
"japshit"Circle"japshit"X/Cross"japshit""
Unlike every other games on vita tv that isn't Killzone, I can't use "right touch screen" because the pointer hands don't show up.
I can't even try to do shit, because that green faggot keeps hitting me with his shitty ass 2swords bullshit.
>>
>>3323296
Also, that faggot ass slime keeps yelling at me.
I have no idea what the fuck he's saying.
>>
>>3323296
>>3323301
Well, shit. I just figured out.
He wanted me to dodge.
UNFORTUNATELY THE CONTROL SCHEME DOESN'T FUCKING ALLOW ME TO DO SO WITHOUT CHANGING SHIT IN THE OPTIONS
SQUARE DOES IT AGAIN
Fucking assholes. God, I wish Enix had never bought these cunts.
>>
>>3323306
>Enix bought Square
This is the first time I've heard this
>>
File: 202_balzack2.gif (3 KB, 132x79) Image search: [Google]
202_balzack2.gif
3 KB, 132x79
>>3322982
For some reason this guy never gave me any trouble, but I struggled like hell against the next guy, Balzack if the filename is correct about the english name, he's called Deickenz in the french version (and as I'm typing this I just realized it's based on famous author names). He's just a punching bag that hits hard and does nothing else, but I had way too much trouble than I should've.

>>3322949
Dragon Quest 3 is fantastic but I have to admit its difficulty curve is dogshit
>>
>>3323352
I think it's Baalzack, actually, but don't quote me on that.
>>
>>3323331
In other news,

Goddamn Torneko's VA is cliche as all shit.
Fucking hell, why was Acht the only good VA in heroes?
>You mean Luciu-
I'M NOT CALLING HIM THAT CUNT NAME

So far the Vita demo seems pretty damn solid.
+ Audio seem almost nigh-uncompressed, and the cutscenes look crisp as fuck.
+ Exploration-to-Battle transitions are seemless as fuck. Holy shit, how do they dew it.
+Can run fast while your weapon is sheathed. I don't know if this was in DQH1, but I like it.
+ I didn't play the first, so I don't know if this was in there, but it seems you can use Spells/Skills as part of your combo without using the spell/skill menu (i.e. use a certain combination of square and triangle inputs)
+Enemies onscreen are a fairly good amount for a portable musou-like game.
- Lots of in-game cutscenes break the pace and they're back to back. If you thought DQ7 was wordy, you ain't seen shit.
-LOAD TIMES. Only a handful, but damn are they long. I'd say the most recent was about an actual minute and a half or so.
? Graphics look mostly good, but some textures are notably compressed (the giant fat club demon with wings), so try not to zoom in too close if this bothers you. Zoomed out, they're pretty neat, arguably PS3 level. Notable pop-in at parts. May irk some.
? 30 FPS with a few drops that I've seen, but nothing all that severe. Maybe down to 25 FPS at absolute worst, due to lots of enemies and particle effects at the same time? But this only lasts maybe two seconds at most, half a second at least. If you absolutely need 100% 60 FPS all the time, you might give this version a pass. If not, it's not that bad, considering it will be 20 bucks less than PS4.
? Controls work mostly fine, but trying to fiddle with the options without knowing jap is a hassle, and if you pick the wrong setup, you flat out can't use certain actions because no touch-screen on vita tv. If you do know jap, I imagine this is a positive.
tbc
>>
>>3323367
>+Can run fast while your weapon is sheathed. I don't know if this was in DQH1, but I like it.
nope, definitely an improvement on the first, it was annoying having to run so slowly on empty parts of the map

>+ I didn't play the first, so I don't know if this was in there, but it seems you can use Spells/Skills as part of your combo without using the spell/skill menu (i.e. use a certain combination of square and triangle inputs)

nope, that's new as well
that should make the combat less clunky
>>
File: img001.jpg (310 KB, 1280x1819) Image search: [Google]
img001.jpg
310 KB, 1280x1819
I mentioned working on this in a /v/ DQ thread a couple days ago. I just released it, and since I thought many people here would enjoy it, I figured I'd alert this thread to it.

http://g.e-hentai.org/g/949664/97bf25cad8/
>>
>>3323365
Yeah, I think it was that even in the original, IIRC.
Or at least Balzack (tee hee)
>>3323352
Tell us more about the french version.
>>3323367
(cont.)
-Models don't seem to have their see-through effect like PS4, thus no upskirts. FUCK.
? Thank fuck there is a quest marker, because I am lost at fuck at times.
+ Areas seem pretty damn big. There was also a door I couldn't pass. Seemed story-locked. Too bad, I'd have liked to see what was beyond it.
- Demo is pretty short. After saving torneko and seeing the door, you just keep going until you reach the destination and the demo just ends. Can't tell if you can transfer your save or not. I imagine you can, because I closed the game, restarted, and my save was still there.

Keep in mind, all this stuff is strictly about the vita demo.

That being said, I can definitely see some parallels between this game and Toukiden 2 (at least its demo). It's interesting to see. The first had some influence from Toukiden 1/Kiwami as well. I imagine, besides the obvious omega force and koei factor, that some of the exact same team probably worked on both games (since I imagine the entire omega force team doesn't all work on each project they have (I hope)).
I definitely want to try the PS4 DQH2 demo if there is one.
>>
>>3323376
Yeah, it was pretty cool.
Although there was a "protect torneko" aspect to his intro (gets ganged on by a bunch of Kandar-clones, and you have to fight them off), he actually pulled his own really well. I think his HP only decreased once, and by a tiny little smidgen. Maybe I accidentally set it on easy or something, I don't know. I imagine that protect-"this" or don't let "that" die missions probably won't be that common anymore, with koei and omega force having gotten feedback from the first. Yet, there likely still will be a handful.
I saw that "big monster army battle" on youtube the other day and it was tight as fuck. Seems like a one-time thing though.
>>
>>3323384
it doesn't have the shitty accents the english version apparently has, so it doesn't ruin the game
is there any other reason people don't like DQ4 DS besides the shitty accents ? I liked the postgame content although Aamon just being a reskined Psaro is shit, at least the black form surprised me
>>
>>3323391
I hope it comes out here

The first was enjoyable enough but man were there some issues

Sucks that the V cast was cut
>>
>>3323392
The only thing people hate about it are the accents and the cut Party Chat.
>>
>>3323395
oh that sucks for party chat but I always imagine it myself anyway
>>
>>3323392
>is there any other reason people don't like DQ4 DS besides the shitty accents?
No jobs or Monsters, I guess? That's the only real complaint I've heard from others.
I personally don't mind because you get every standard job from DQ3 (well, with torneko being a hodge podge of 3 jobs) and some even double up a bit (i.e. two mages and two priests), but each is different enough to stand their own ground.
>I liked the postgame content although Aamon just being a reskined Psaro is shit
Fucking truth. Annoying as fuck. I mean, yeah, much to my chagrin, DQ series reuses recolored boss sprites, but they couldn't even give the secret boss his own fucking sprite set?
SO goddamn lazy.
>at least the black form surprised me
Yeah, it surprised me too. Right in the HP
>breath attacks dealing average 300 damage per ally without insulate effect on
Fuck you too, Aamon.
I ought to sick these two clucklefucks on your recolored ass.
>>
>>3323394
The only thing really sucky is that debbie didn't show up in place of them.
At least you can use them in that multiplayer/free-fight mode thingus.
Also
>still can't see most of the DQH1 girls' panties
Come the fuck on, Koei.
I like how they cheated with Meena/Minea a bit.
>>
>>3323392
Accents tends to be the main focus. That and lack of Party Chat which the mobile version put back. But since I hate mobile gaming I'll never really try it. DQ4 honestly is the best game to really start if you want to get into Dragon Quest.
DQ1-3 is best to play one after the other. With DQ3 being one of the best DQ made personally.

DQ5 is more personal than other Dragon Quest so it doesn't give the same feeling as with most DQ games.

DQ6 is a bit meh to most people.

DQ7 is a fucking beast of a game.

DQ8 might be the best if you want a more modern experience.

DQ9 is really enjoyable but it's pretty much a test run for DQ10 which is a MMO that's only in Japan.

Now people can start and enjoy whenever they wish but DQ4 feels like the best one to really get the feeling of being lost with small story lines scattered as you are traveling the world.
>>
>>3323381
i liked it. thank you for sharing
>>
Just completed dragon Quest 1 and 2 in one day, and I'd just like to say that 2 has an incredible amount of grinding required at the end. I got lucky in the final fight plus the use of a savestate to not get wiped out first turn is what saved me
>>
>>3323837

Yeah, I thought I was doing alright, and then Rhondarkia kicked the holy hell out of me.
>>
>>3323352
Funny you say that since Baalzack was by far the easiest boss to me. Kabuff once, kabuff twice, gg no re.
>>
>>3323381
How do you get
>This might be alright
out of?
>こんなカンジでいいのかな

Or
>戦士さん 見張りかわりましょうか
To
>You relieving our warrior of guard duty?
When it's obviously the hero speaking?
>>
>>3323985

Oops, I don't know how I made that second mistake. Thought the bubble was pointing to the mage, though I should have figured it out. I was in a bit of a hurry this on this translation since I translated it quickly in one of my rare free moments. I'll have to fix that.

As for こんなカンジでいいのか. Did I misinterpret that? I took 感じ the wrong way, I was thinking of it more as feeling, rather than "this way". Guess I should have used "Is this alright?" or something.

Glad you pointed those out, things slip through QC sometimes.
>>
>>3324001
>things slip through QC sometimes.
In my experience it happens a lot. When I started learning Japanese I read manga by switching back and forth between raw and translation, until I realized that often the translation didn't match the text.

With subtitles viewers normally notice mistranslations because the original audio is still there but for text translations readers have no choice but to trust the translator.
>>
>>3324053

Yeah I used to flip back and forth like that too, and soon discovered the same thing you did.

In any case, I'll update the gallery when I get up later, it's bed time for me. Thanks again for pointing those out.
>>
>>3322967
Its been some time since I played DQ2, but I remember there being a gamebreaking bug at some Inn( I think it happens after you find all the seals, might be wrong), the prince of cannock is cursed and you must cure him with a world tree/Yggdrasil leaf, however, the game gets stuck on an infinite dialogue loop. Cant remember the name of the town where this happens though, google it.
>>
>DQ anime only partially subbed

JUST
>>
>>3324134
Yeah, I experienced both of those glitches but luckily I had save states to revert back
>>
Just completed DQ3 for Mobile. That is a pretty great way to spend ten bucks.Are 5 and 6 done in the same style? The screenshots look like you can rotate the camera.
>>
>>3324774
Just emulate the DS versions. Actually you could probably pirate the mobile versions too, sure there are downloads somewhere.
>>
>>3324774
5 and 6 Mobile are ports of the DS versions. They're done in the same style as the original Dragon Quest 7.
3 Mobile is a port of the SFC version. Also, a lot of extra content was gut from it.
>>
i feel like DQVI's issue was that it was overambitious. If they focused on only having a job system or only having dual worlds it coulda stood out more.

I do like the endgame where you go to the evil dimension and get fucked over instantly.
>>
>>3325462
Yeah, gotta give props to Mortamor for that one.
>>
>>3325462
That was pretty great. Being reduced to one health really makes you feel powerless. I like the job system but it's a bit grindy - linking progress to fights won rather than some sort of experience is a bit shortsighted.

Mortamor is pretty bullshit though, you have to grind your ass off just to stand a chance.
>>
>>3325468
he didn't fuck around

>>3325472
It was creative. Usually you expect to barge into the evil lair and have it all work out but DQVI did it differently. I think I even beat one of the guards despite 1HP on everyone.

Also, I'm pretty sure I had the old guy make the special helmet. I think that's he best option because helmets don't have great equips generally.
>>
>>3323352
I don't think I had trouble in Dragon Quest iv till I got to Psaro at the end. Holy shit, that is a marathon.
>>
>>3325481
It's a great fight. I can't even imagine how someone playing it back in the day would feel.

>>3325480
I got the armor. Carver needs a little protection too.
>>
>>3325481
Be sure to grab the bugle to have all 9 party members with you (yes I'm counting Sparkie).
>>
File: image.png (219 KB, 394x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
219 KB, 394x600
Who is the best DQIV guest party member and why is it Hector/Hoffman?
>>
http://dragonquest7.nintendo.com/

DQ7 3DS official site is up.
>>
>>3325620
Nice, can't wait. I haven't actually played 7 yet.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 300x400
>>3325620
Noice, althought that new dungeon feature reminds me that I was retarded and didn't get all the DQIX DLC before servers died

i wanted those character outfits.

speaking of remakes, what differences are in SNES DQII? I only played the bullshit difficulty NES version.
>>
>>3325643
There's an added optional scenario where Prince Cannock gets sick and you have to go off with Princess Moonbrooke to the get a Leaf of the World Tree.
I think that's it, actually, aside from general quality of life improvements.
>>
>>3325643
>althought that new dungeon feature reminds me that I was retarded and didn't get all the DQIX DLC before servers died
Well, they are in-game DLC, you can just unlock them with cheats.
>>
File: slime.png (13 KB, 245x233) Image search: [Google]
slime.png
13 KB, 245x233
what is your favorite slime variety?
>>
>>3325724
See: >>3321816
>>
>>3325489
holy shit, I didn't know I could do that. I managed to kill him with two party members dead and protag and Ragnar at the edge of their life.
>>
>>3325779
>Ragnar

Please tell me you at least use Alena too.
>>
>>3325783
Why?
>>
>>3325789
She's a much better physical attacker. She gets so much agility and strength it's absurd. Ragnar's only claim to fame is his high defense and HP.
>>
>>3325783
Of course, Alena was MVP. I did protag, Meena, Alena and Maya, then Maya ran out of mp the first attempt against Psaro, so I traded Maya out for Ragnar with a healing sword equipped. I'm guessing I made nothing but bad decisions?
>>
>>3325791
Her attack isn't much better, and a fast fighter is only useful to finish enemies before they can attack, the only character that really needs to act before a boss is the healer.

>Ragnar's only claim to fame is his high defense and HP.
>only
>>
File: AlenaEarrings[1].png (127 KB, 350x296) Image search: [Google]
AlenaEarrings[1].png
127 KB, 350x296
>>3325807
No, seems good. My main team had all the girls too.

>>3325809
She gets significantly more strength. Give her Falcon Knife Earrings and she's unstoppable. She has a higher crit rate too. And I think she has the third highest health in the game, behind the Hero and Ragnar. She's by no means squishy.
>>
>>3325815
I'm not saying she's bad, I'm just saying that she's not a must, and there are situations where Ragnar is better, usually against bosses.
>>
>>3325815
Wearing Falcon Knight Earrings as actual earrings seems like a bad idea.
>>
>>3325821
I think Alena's better for bosses. More damage means the fight's over quicker, and her high speed lets her swoop in with items if needed. Ragnar's survivable, but being the last guy alive if everyone else is dead isn't optimal.

Of course this is DQ4 and every party member is good, but I personally find Alena to be a far better one than Ragnar.

>>3325824
I think the idea is they're worn as earrings before being taken off for fighting.
>>
>>3325828
>More damage means the fight's over quicker
I'm calling this bullshit again.
I still have my save, Alena is just 5~6% stronger than Ragnar, that will hardly end the fight 1 turn sooner. And there is only one good healing item in DQIV, that you can only carry one at time.

>Ragnar's survivable, but being the last guy alive if everyone else is dead isn't optimal.
His job is to not let your party die, not to make a comeback from a dead party. Sometimes you can't heal all your party, if you have a tank you can just heal the weaker character, if you don't, the boss will kill the character you didn't heal.
>>
>>3325867
Does she have the Falcon Knife Earrings? Are they both the same level? Unless you're playing some weird version where her stats are different there's no way she should be doing that little damage in comparison.
>>
>>3325876
Made me check.
Both at level 37.
Alena with Falcon Knife Earrings.
Ragnar with Falcon Blade.
Against Heaven's Heaven enemies.
Alena deals about 140~160 damage total.
Ragnar deals about 130~150 damage total.

Alena has 201 ATK
Ragnar has 241 (actually decreased by 25% by the Falcon Sword)
>>
>>3325919
Hm I see. Still, she crits more and goes first almost always. Those are the kind of attributes I want in my physical attacker. The slight damage boost doesn't hurt either.
>>
Guys, the main reason to put Falcon Knife Earrings on Alena is because it gives her two chances to crit per turn.
>>
>>3325950
Yeah, that level 37 Alena has a 20% chance to crit at least once whenever she attacks. That's a lot.
>>
>>3325724
Dark slime knight is pretty baller for both being a slime knight AND wielding an axe, but mottle slimes are pretty cute. Now when are we getting mottle slime knights?
>>
File: dq5ps2.jpg (90 KB, 427x600) Image search: [Google]
dq5ps2.jpg
90 KB, 427x600
>All these remakes and ports

Soon.
>>
File: heal slime.jpg (10 KB, 300x275) Image search: [Google]
heal slime.jpg
10 KB, 300x275
>>3325724
Bro since DQ4 and has always been my favorite.
>>
>>3325620
>simulated gambling
That's good. People were worried that they will pull a Pokemon and take out the casino because of Europe.
>>
>>3326401
That casino has been beating the shit out of me for years. Recently I've given up on the poker tables, they're too fucking cruel, so now I feed all my spare cash into slots instead
>>
>>3322949
I had to rely on savestating to not be completely fucked over by him, my characters were

Hero 33
Fighter 30
Sage 28
Pilgrim 32

I know that feel anon, and I thought I was overleveled
>>
>>3325828
Yeah but that's gotta be dangerous.
They're knives, so they have to be sharp, right? And look at the size of them. They can easily swing around and cut the fuck out of whoever's wearing them.
>>
>>3325919
alena has a one in three chance to crit everytime she attacks.

she is also quick. this is why she is good. forget everything else.

also alena looks good without her wizard clothes alena is awesome.
>>
>>3310165
I would make a dragon quest like game set in a quirky modern suburb. There would be lots of feels and silliness and active time combat.

Then 20 years later some kid would ripoff my game and make a furry le quirky shitpile with shmup rpg combat
>>
>>3327652
The rolling HP in Earthbound hardly qualifies it as active time combat. A modernized setting is not a bad idea though, it's just making it work that's the problem.
>>
>>3327624
>alena has a one in three chance to crit everytime she attacks.
It's about 1 in 5.
>>
>>3327731
Depends on the game. In the NES release it's level/255, in the DS release it's (level*0.75)/255. I think the iOS release uses the NES formula.
>>
>>3327737
But the iOS release is a port of the DS release
>>
>>3327749
Yeah but they changed it. Not in the way I thought, it uses the DS formula but caps it at level 89 instead of 64. Pretty worthless change, considering she should never be level 64 or 89 unless you overgrind to the extreme.
>>
File: I get it now.gif (11 KB, 730x413) Image search: [Google]
I get it now.gif
11 KB, 730x413
>>3327752
I see. My mistake.
>>
>>3327752
>considering she should never be level 64 or 89 unless you overgrind
tfw you have to reach level 60 to learn all of Psaro's spells.
And Psaro's level growth is also way slower than the other characters.
>>
I am playing the sfc fan translation of 3 on retroarch, and I was wondering how you save. Whenever I save quit my save files disappear on reload, and I don't know how to bind the power and reset buttons on retroarch. I am doing this to get the sword of kings
>>
>>3328187
You talk to kings and certain other persons and they ask you if you want to inscribe your feats in the scroll.
>>
>>3328201
I get that part of it, but when I end my journey as they ask, I am prompted to press the power button while holding reset.

If I don't do that my saves gets corrupted it seems, so I might have to cheat in the sword
>>
>>3326598
>>3322949
I didn't realize exactly what enemy you were talking about, that palette swap of baramos was way easier than expected
>>
>>3328187
Odd. That doesn't happen to me and I'm playing III the exact same way you are. Try updating retroarch/libretro to the latest nightly.
>>
>>3328784
I just went ahead and completed the game because the item wasn't required
>>
What version of DQIV should I play?

I'm having a hard time finding a downloaded version of the apk, and I don't really know how necessary party chat is. I'm thinking the ds version
>>
>>3328816
DS in Japanese.
>>
>>3328846
I am reading that the Japanese version has a hidden incomplete English translation, how complete is it? How do I go about playing that translation?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.