[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vg/ - Video Game Generals

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 186
File: Greatest mayor of all time.png (355 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Greatest mayor of all time.png
355 KB, 1024x768
"Somehow there was a civil discussion about antisemitism in the last thread" edition

Previous thread >>122474686

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.40.24:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!
>>
>>122879105
I still get a kick out of that picture that I used for the OP.
>>
File: 1330037207247.gif (357 KB, 1024x645) Image search: [Google]
1330037207247.gif
357 KB, 1024x645
>>122879196
Animate it.
>>
Can miasma ignite if exposed to hot enough temperatures?
>>
>>122845452
update for anyone who might be curious/want to do the same, my dream is not dead! Vertical bars can be freestanding, or at least don't require a wall on either side to be operated via level; you can make a several tile row of them that will all simultaneously slam shut while still allowing your dorfs to shoot through it, or let water/magma/probably kobolds and whatever else through.
>>
How do i make this shitty game fun to play? After the initial year everything is a cakewalk and forgotten beast fall to single squads of dwarves. Usually i only one dwarf find it first and takes it to town on his own.
>>
>>122884709
If you only get enjoyment out of killing things in this game, Dwarf Fortress is not for you. This is not a game where you get instant gratification, either.
>>
>>122884709
Embark on savage glacier without a pick. Try to survive through your first year.
>>
That was boring af, but I finally removed all animal people, giant animals and anything that didn't fit victorian mod.

Man, my autism is getting out of control

Send help
>>
>>122886572
>Send help
Mate I know neither your meds or your adress
>>
>>122887847
1300 Dickwaffle Avenue

Fast
>>
>>122888023
>Fast
Is that codeword for Speed? Cause you didn't tell me the meds yknow
>>
newfaggot here.
wtf is potash?
>>
>>122852185

I don't seem to have an announcements.txt, but rather an announcements folder with some stuff in it that I can't open. Nothing seems to be about collapses either.
>>
HELP
E
L
P
>>
>>122889604
You should be fine. They might make a swipe at a dwarf or two then leave.
>>
>>122889785
how do I kill them?
>>
>>122889549
Nevermind, it was in data/init/
I'm a dummy dum-dum with no patience who can't wipe his own ass.
>>
>>122889265
An ingredient for making non-coloured glass. It is made from ordinary ash.
>>
File: bolds.png (806 KB, 1200x1064) Image search: [Google]
bolds.png
806 KB, 1200x1064
>>122889940
Why would you?
>>
File: bluenessofballs.png (114 KB, 1269x436) Image search: [Google]
bluenessofballs.png
114 KB, 1269x436
Is there an updated version of those pictures where it tells the new features? I last played when this was 34.11
>>
>>122891296
>the blueness of balls
it's perfect

I think the dwarf clock guy had a new image in the previous thread, perhaps someone will post it, or if the thread is still there you might find it.

personally I like reading toady's creepy and terrifying updates on his site, but that doesn't tell you what's in the current version, just what's in his private unreleased one.
>>
>>122886572
Still say it would be nice if you could replace necromancers and zombies with mad scientists and experimental horrors.
>>
>>122892516
I'll see what I can do.
>>
>>122884962
I get my enjoyment out of defending my fortress that i created with my own two hands against the civilizations that challenge me. Not to eternally yawn while growing another patch of farm or making a worthless giant gold statue that no one will see any ways and even if they do it'll be a passing by "cool" for all the effort it took to make.
>>
>>122893526
>I get my enjoyment out of defending my fortress that i created with my own two hands against the civilizations that challenge me.

Yeah, and you can do this. I'm doing it in the current version right now.
>>
>>122889265
Also did you assign your bookkeeper like i told you to back on the /v/ thread in you know where?
>>
>>122893641
How? I can only get sieges by painstakingly spending hours generating worlds and embarking next to fortresses with 1000+ goblins in them. Whenever i do get sieges it's usually only a few recruits.
By the time i'll ever get a decent siege all of my miltary dwarves will be capable of soloing dragons
>>
>break cavern layer like 5 Zs below fort
>game crashes later
>go to pop caves again
>delving eternally
did I just miss it, or do caves generate randomly or something?
>>
File: good dog.png (19 KB, 529x103) Image search: [Google]
good dog.png
19 KB, 529x103
I dunno what happened, but I'm all of a sudden feeling really sympathetic towards my dwarves. Usually I kill them off in terrible ways, but I want these guys to live and I don't know why.
Like, I made my blacksmith create a platinum statue, and it's a statue of my dwarves travelling to my fortress. That's adorable. I don't wanna throw them down holes anymore.
>>
>>122884709
>>122893526
>>122894030
Maybe you should quit being a bitchy cunt and realise that DF isn't a war game
>>
>>122894030
>By the time i'll ever get a decent siege all of my miltary dwarves will be capable of soloing dragons

Why don't you balance it yourself then? Having dwarves training nearly all the time isn't very realistic anyway.
>>
How can I make creatures immortal?

I mean, like necromancers, they live forever unless brutally killed.

Need it for the Domovye.
>>
>>122896768
Like anyone will actually die of old before FPS death
>>
So far I got the Domovoi and the Brownie into the game, doing this is quite harder than expected but I can do it

right?
>>
Who wants to see a Leshy fucking up a Brownie?
>>
>>122892819
If I'm not mistaken, I think this should work: http://pastebin.com/2aaDRUpG

They can laugh maniacally and make experimental creatures utter eerie groans and rise, but only out of corpses which are fit for resurrection (so no animated heads/hands rolling around), the creatures flash the mechanism C tile, the mad scientists flash the capital S, they have boosted mental attributes, the creatures shouldn't be mindless murderfuckbots (WOE IS ME, OH TO BE WROUGHT INTO SUCH AN UNHOLY EXISTENCE hopefully) but they are still nasty, though beheading should drop them.

The scientists can also do flee/torment interactions when near water or plants to brew concoctions or extract medicines. Need to add those to plant_standard.txt as well, right now it just adds spatter_powder/spatter_liquid at the location, which could then be collected by an adventurer.

Since the ai won't do that they also grant effects, the concoctions boost speed a lot, some strength/agility, and give noexert, then wear off in 500 ticks, not sure what the best length there will be.

The medicine gives a massive boost to recuperation, a bit of endurance, and the various nopain/fever/paralyze tags for 500 ticks.

If I'm right they should show up in towers populated with experimental creatures, and I made an objects/text/secret_stars.txt which can be tweaked of course.

Once I get the full set collected and test it to make sure they show up in world-gen I'll push them to github.
>>
>>122903097
Woah anon, you are fucking awesome

Want me to add you to the credits? Give me a name or something
>>
File: game over.png (218 KB, 756x669) Image search: [Google]
game over.png
218 KB, 756x669
>>122897310
I made a simple Antman civ to play as a while ago. I don't remember clearly how long they live, but I think it's 4-6 years, and it provided a pretty big challenge.

My militia, who despite their decent equipment were much weaker than dwarven soldiers, lost it's most experienced members every year. Not only the militia, of course: every year(at the arrival of spring, if I remember right), about 40 antmen dropped dead at the same time.

Eventually, the fort succumbed to demons. Despite their weakness, the last surviving antman, who was also a militia member, managed to kill five demons, including a fire breathing bastard who had been responsible for killing most of my citizens. In order to save her life, I then chose to abandon the fort. When I checked in the legends after that, it said that she had become a refugee, and escaped to some abandoned mountain hall.

It was a pretty fulfilling end to that fort, to be honest.

Pic related: it's the antmen's big megaproject, a huge tower made out of gold. Sadly, it wasn't finished.
>>
>>122904042
cool story bro.
but ugly tower.
>>
File: antman goldtower.png (263 KB, 781x573) Image search: [Google]
antman goldtower.png
263 KB, 781x573
>>122905190
It was supposed to be about twice as high.The unfinished superstructure was supposed to be a smaller version of the big building.

Here's an earlier pic of it, plus some antmen at work.
>>
File: ItsAliveAliveBwahahahahaha.png (298 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ItsAliveAliveBwahahahahaha.png
298 KB, 1920x1080
>>122903207
There's no need for that for reasons which will soon become clear, but yeah, I'll bump it over to github once I make sure the items work right.
>>
So far I added:

2 basic creatures for the Good biome (Ruskie and English folklore)
The Leshy, which is basically a giant with hoofs and horns and who won't automatically attack you, the ghoul, a tough motherfucker that will fuck your shit up unless you fuck him up really hard (Might be too OP, but it's !!FUN!! anyways) and the Hell Hound, which is basically a dog that attacks anything it sees, easy to kill when alone but dangerous when in groups (Generally groups of 5 or 6)
>>
File: magicalnegro.jpg (73 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
magicalnegro.jpg
73 KB, 800x598
>>122894030
difficulty curve is completely fucked at the moment. mostly because the combat system is broken as all hell. you have megabeasts falling to lucky shots while the undead can be name switched to asexual space marines that reproduce when divided with a slashing weapon and it would fit perfectly.

speaking of, i decided to in my latest game use only siege engines for defense. got a almost perfectly flat map for them. do civilians running away from a frightening sight raise their discipline? can i expect them to (eventually) stand their ground and use the engines? or do i have to shape the terrain into a perfect killzone
>>
File: BwahahahahaYesRiseMyPets.png (139 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
BwahahahahaYesRiseMyPets.png
139 KB, 1920x1080
>>122906975
>>
>>122912506
They should only be able to use that interaction on corpses they can touch, in my opinion.
>>
>>122913045
I can dig it, I'm trying to find a way to make it so you can smear the medicine/concoction stuff on something, right now it is just faked where you can use it on yourself when fleeing or use it on others to heal/help them flee, so the creatures are much more dangerous with the scientist around than not... wee.

Also heads and hands and such can't be reanimated.
>>
>>122913539
Suggestion: Some medicine stuff that basically lets you go full Dr Jekyll.

I am not a modder and have no idea if this would work, but it can't be too dissimilar to how werebeasts work, surely.
>>
File: OhGodThisMightBeAmazing.png (206 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
OhGodThisMightBeAmazing.png
206 KB, 1920x1080
>>122913659
That is what I tried to do!

I've got them in where there is a concoction drink and a medicine plant, the concoction gives the same speed boost as the Roc balm of speed thing I use, but only for 500 ticks (might wanna shorten that) along with noexert, so you can zoom around at superspeed for a while.

The medicine boosts your healing stupid high and should kill any fevers/pain/paralyzed type effects.

Didn't go for the full buff caps and left them temporary but they should be suitably hard to get.

Taking out a tower of possibly buffed experimental creatures to get a slab/book and become a mad scientist is good enough to let you do the interactions often enough to keep the effect up I think.
>>
>>122895175
So what is it? A world simulator ?
>>122895310
What do you suggest i do because gimping myself isn't very fun. unless i follow strict rules like this anon said >>122907349
Maybe i'll defend myself with only animals
>>
>>122921886
yeah atm im only using animals and siege engines

fits with the no migrant theme though since these worthless fucks have been idle for YEARS and still haven't shat a kid (been married since the first year) im running out of things to do.

highlights include nearly killing a FB with 50 pitted dogs into the caverns. (if i hadnt gotten lazy and trained them all for war they'd have won easily)
>>
>>122921886
So at first you complain that the game is too easy, I offer a solution to make it a bit harder (which people do all the time in other forms anyway), and you disregard it because it'd be making it harder?
>>
File: MaybeIWentTooFar.png (317 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MaybeIWentTooFar.png
317 KB, 1920x1080
I uh... I was trying to figure out what was keeping the mad scientists from showing up so I just made goblins/humans/dorfs/elves use regional pantheons and gave them max ages (250/270, 60/120, 250/270, 750/1000) but that didn't do it, then I realized I had copied over the wrong interaction_science and fixed that.

First world I made went a little crazy.
>>
File: ThingsGetWeirdFast.png (171 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ThingsGetWeirdFast.png
171 KB, 1920x1080
>>122923132
Hmmm, removing guns and using the custom workshop keeps them from showing up anywhere in the world, from what I can see.

Also, the experimental creatures are nicely dangerous, easier to cut apart than zombies, but just as strong, and I think if there is a scientist around you gotta pulp the body to keep it down.

Since I died I ghosted in and read the slab, turned into a mad scientist myself, grabbed my clothes and animated my body. Some of the creatures still had aggro on me, but as none are living my own creatures don't help me with them, though they do casually chitchat while I'm fighting.
>>
File: VivaLaRevolutionOrSomeShit.png (158 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
VivaLaRevolutionOrSomeShit.png
158 KB, 1920x1080
Added guns back in for dorfs because this is too fun.
>>
>>122884709
you don't have to play the newest version
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xoCnLIzu9o
>There aren't my DF analyses
>>
where will go my dwarfs to eat if they have food in their backpacks?
if they are on patrol far away from the dinning room, and then break to eat , will they walk to the dinning room?
>>
File: OMGYESCREATUREBATTLE.png (171 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
OMGYESCREATUREBATTLE.png
171 KB, 1920x1080
...so I animated a mummy before he could get up himself, grabbed a bunch of skeletons, saw an asterisk in a town, found a human rifleman... and then see "the goblin experimental creature pushes the human experimental creature"... I don't have any goblins.
>>
File: MaybeALittleCarriedAway.png (333 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MaybeALittleCarriedAway.png
333 KB, 1920x1080
>>122936924
No mad scientist around, might be a roaming squad or something?

Either way... I'm a little out of control.
>>
>>122936067
Pretty sure they eat it right there.
>>
>>122939702
cool a picnic near the river, with lunchbox, apples and whatnot.
>>
how do you disarm caged prisoners?
>>
>>122942941
make a garbage dump zone
select the cage for dumping
manually select the cages and unselect the D
dwarves should remove all all the prisoners gear
>>
>>122934778
>3x3 up/down staircase

Can I trust a word this muppet says?
>>
File: Urist McCostanza.jpg (60 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Urist McCostanza.jpg
60 KB, 500x375
>hammerers
>>
File: thus spoke tarn adams.png (425 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
thus spoke tarn adams.png
425 KB, 500x357
save from page 10
>>
What's the profession of the guy who lives at the farmer's workshop?

The people working the fields don't get homes like the workshop owners do.
>>
>>122948287

>tfw reading the wiki page about his cat.

Never daww'd so hard in a long while.
>>
>>122948336

Dat hierarchy., but the jobs are Plant processing, Milking,Cheese making,Spinner,Shearer

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Farmer%27s_workshop

Also wiki is there for stuff like this senpai.
>>
>>122948674
I'm more asking what to name him, I'm working through the list on the wiki now.

Gone with Farmer for the time being, going to have to find a better name for the haulers now.
>>
>>122886572
>giant animals
>didn't fit victorian mod
what
>>
>>122948856
Are you going to assign separate jobs for each Farmworker? Like one guy's sole job is Spinning? Then you could work from there, like Plant worker to the guy who turns pig tails into thread.

Sorry I'm not much help
>>
>>122949153
No, I'm giving ownership of a workshop to each dwarf, so they're responsible for all the jobs there.

The beekeeper has agreed to do double duty on the quern, which is good because we don't have any bees.
>>
>>122949367
I suppose the default 'Farmhand/worker' would do for those people. Keep the Farmers as Farmers.
>>
>>122944760
Nigga, did you see is 8x8 entrance traps?
>>
>>122950916
I saw his waterfall next to the 3x3 staircase.
>>
Is is possible to have a farm only output to a certain stockpile or no because of how gathering the plants work?
>>
>>122952101
You should be able to set this directly in the stockpile iirc, there is the option to gatehr only from selected fields/workshops.
>>
File: possible waterfall.png (3 KB, 284x213) Image search: [Google]
possible waterfall.png
3 KB, 284x213
(Should have added this to my previous question but I just thought of it right when I hit post)

I'm thinking of turning this into a water fall mist maker, Does water falling on grates create mist? Would it be alright using fortifications to let the mist through? Drainage is something else I'm concerned about, although I could just dig down to the cave and drain it there.
>>
>>122952194
Some good news, I'll see if it works then and report back when I get it set up. Thanks.
>>
File: lelf.jpg (7 KB, 182x229) Image search: [Google]
lelf.jpg
7 KB, 182x229
>>122944760
He sounds like a pretty inexperienced player, and his fort is a visual(as well as practical) abomination.

>>122950916
Holy shit. I bet he doesn't into militias. This is the stuff of hilarious bug reports:
>"It says caravan can't reach depot fuk u toad"

Not hating, by the way. I've been there, too.
>>
>>122952894
whats wrong with 3x3 staircases?

share your pro dork fortress design tips btw
>>
File: 1259785549712.png (216 KB, 453x552) Image search: [Google]
1259785549712.png
216 KB, 453x552
>>122953517
https://youtu.be/2xoCnLIzu9o?t=881
>>
>>122953517
FPS drop with no benefits. 2x3 is enough even for 150 pop if you have proper fortress design. And looks more like square
>>
>>122953925

What about 2 stair cases in a 2x2 box?

x-
-x?
>>
Is it just me or do Human caravans never arrive. What is their requirement?
>>
File: fort design.png (218 KB, 1347x684) Image search: [Google]
fort design.png
218 KB, 1347x684
>>122953517
I find the mere thought of a "central staircase" underwelming. I like the idea of a huge, sprawling fort, which would take a long time to fully explore in adventure mode.

In my current fort, everything is disposed not around staicases, but around square shaped "shafts" surrounded by a three tile wide ledge with a single staircase i each corner. One of these shafts contains workshop modules, another contains dwellings, another contains burials.
>>
>>122954619
cool design and philosophy but im too autistic about "efficiency" to do that

i get headaches from stones lying around
>>
>>122954456
Embark with a human town nearby. Wait till summer.
>>122954094
Only if you build a flat fortress or going to keep your pop under 30. Or expand it later into 3x3
x-x
-x-
x-x
>>
>>122921886
>last thread people talk about how /v/shitters always use 'dimulation' as a bad word
>this thread /v/shitter does exactly that
>>
File: how many.png (2 KB, 835x15) Image search: [Google]
how many.png
2 KB, 835x15
Just how many specific descriptions of "fatness"/"fitness" has Toady thought of in the game? This one's a first for me, and I guess it actually accounts for a change that has happened since the guy migrated to my fort.
>>
File: Pepe McDwarf.jpg (124 KB, 652x654) Image search: [Google]
Pepe McDwarf.jpg
124 KB, 652x654
My hammerer just executed my best cook for his inability to create enough toy boats or whatever for the mayor.

I imagine she whispered "Pshh, nuthin personel kid" before she dealt the killing blow.
>>
File: new players.jpg (445 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
new players.jpg
445 KB, 1366x768
>>122950916
DON'T DO THIS GUYS
>>
"When's the fucking update, toady"
>>
>>122959573
End of the month/beginning of next month.

Toady's been explicit about this.
>>
>>122959858
"Thank you, anon. I'll be back when the update hits"
>>
>>122959858
ehh... from what i can see the update is mostly setting fluff and mixing legends into fortress mode with NPCs

or have i missed something actually exciting
>>
>>122960281
We'll have better, more interactive temples, taverns, singing and dancing, rock bands, librariers and scholars, multiculturalism, and writing poetry.
>>
File: IJustReanimatedAMummy.png (156 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IJustReanimatedAMummy.png
156 KB, 1920x1080
>>122960281
Dancing, toys, knowledge base, multi-material artifacts, decorating artifacts, bringing stuff from adventurer mode like roaming visitors and adventurers and such into your fort, shrines to be desecrated, libraries to be stocked, sliders for adventurer creation options, and a ton of no doubt hilarious bugs once the gamekilling ones are sorted.

>Fixed an issue where dancers occasionally collide in mid-air and the movement code sets their velocity to -30000 x/y/z, causing them to slam into the ground and explode.
>>
If I posted a random save/region would you guys ascend the fort/region to greatness?

It's probably the most generic and boring start to anything but from boring comes greatness!
>>
File: man thinking.jpg (1 MB, 1386x1385) Image search: [Google]
man thinking.jpg
1 MB, 1386x1385
Does the Dwarf Fortress community have it's own jargons?
>>
>>122960550
>>122960672
... and what about fortress mode?

i doubt the random visitors/artifacts will have much of an impact.

not to mention the combat and sieges are completely fucked.
>>
>>122961042
Scholars, libraries, taverns and non-dwarf immigrants will all be a part of fort mode. They will definitly have an impact.
>>
>>122960672
>>Fixed an issue where dancers occasionally collide in mid-air and the movement code sets their velocity to -30000 x/y/z, causing them to slam into the ground and explode.
Related:
https://youtu.be/6yV6i5htPsU?t=1m26s
>>
>>122960746
>dorfs
>pull the lever
>magma (whether above or below ground)

>>122961042
Pretending fortress mode is a thing by itself is probably why you don't get sieges.

Understanding how the worlds work as an adventurer makes it easy to see where you should embark for fun.

Only adventurer sliders is specifically adventure mode, the rest of the stuff I said was both.

You doubt being able to have people petition to join your fort, to work as performers, to come kill shit in your caverns, to hang out and make dorfs happy in your bar, and so forth will have much of an impact?
>>
File: elf army.jpg (64 KB, 1025x743) Image search: [Google]
elf army.jpg
64 KB, 1025x743
>posting random DF screenshots that I never had change to post anywhere.
>>
>>122961495
Yes i should meticulously study the horrid legends screen (or use a third party utility, or banal shit boring adventure mode) to scout out potential worlds BEFORE embarking.

I already spend too much cherrypicking world gen as is.

I hardly need more population, the shit in the caverns is easy enough to kill as is, my dorfs 'happiness' is tedious enough already to micromanage, and if the "performing" and other path finding sinks don't turn out to kill FPS I will be amazed.

All the while unresolved issues and bugs pile up, forgotten. Yes I will probably larp and have fun with all the new features but it isn't really what the game needs.
>>
>>122961495
>>122962391

Since you guys are super into it, how can I generate the funnest possible world and ensure I'll have the most fun on it?

I mean fun in the literal sense not the "shit that'll kill me a thousand times over" sense. The latter works too I suppose but I'd prefer the former.
>>
File: First.jpg (71 KB, 1024x529) Image search: [Google]
First.jpg
71 KB, 1024x529
I started fort as Masterwork necromancers in city sewers. A heck load of fun, but my computer could not handle all the units on the map.
>>
>>122962482
depends on what you find fun. what do you find enjoyable in dork fortress?
>>
>>122962581
Crying on 4chan about how it isn't catered exactly to my tastes.
>>
>>122962581
I mean I'm relatively new so I just like surviving. Generally though that means just playing until I have too many mouths to feed or I dig into a forgotten beast.

I want to know what kind of places to look for where it feels like I always have a threat looming overhead.

I don't want to feel safe. I want to feel like I don't know if my fortress will still be standing next spring.
>>
>>122962760
gonna have to mod the tokens in the human entry in standard_creature raw for that one :^)

I'll concede I can't expect my taste of managing a dwarf fortress to be catered to

>>122962874
first off don't spoil everything with the wiki, just play the game. generate a default world but crank the savagery and beasts all the way up, and embark on a biome with 'untamed wilds.'

make sure you embark next to multiple civs, especially one outright hostile one (gobs/ tower) or maybe both since gobs are woefully under powered.

And most importantly, just experiment with different things and don't power game.
>>
>>122963348
And if nothing of that works, just mod your game.

Learn some modding, it's not that hard, and add anything you would like to see in the game.

In my opinion modding the game by yourself makes it way better because you get a feeling of "I made this creature I just killed".
>>
>>122964890
How easy is it to mod? I want to play as a race of asexual cat girls
>>
>>122965098
take the time to learn about the games files and you can do that.
>>
>>122965098
Well, it's pretty easy.

Just copy the humans creature file, add cat ears and tail, remove the male caste, rename them to "catgirls" and find a way to make them reproduce asexually.

Then, just make an entity for them and make them [CIV_PLAYABLE]
>>
>>122965098
eh there's already humaniod jaguar/tiger etc

it would be easy enough to cosmetically switch them out with the dwarfs though it would still be the same exact game only with a different sprite
>>
>>122965098
Your race will die out straight away in worldgen but heck, do what you want.
>>
Gib ideas for creatures for Victorian Mod plox
>>
>>122965932
Push-me-pull-you.
>>
>>122965932
multiple breeds of horse, just basic stuff like shire horse or draft horse along with maybe 'wild horse' and other lesser breeds.
>>
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12554-quakefenced
Further along.
>>
>>122912506
What tileset is that?
>>
>>122965932
How about instead of Vampires you have Jack the Rippers. "Ursit McPoorluck has been found stabbed in the guts!"
>>
>>122968652
What about having both?
>>
File: 1433119608184.png (262 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1433119608184.png
262 KB, 900x900
Dorf fortress stopped being fun some three years ago. Now its just a feature creep shitfest of crappy code, failed expectations, and autist circle-jerking.

Fuck all of you, fuck Toady, and fuck everything else, too.
>>
File: wdad.jpg (506 KB, 1437x1881) Image search: [Google]
wdad.jpg
506 KB, 1437x1881
>>122968973
fite me irl bruv
>>
>>122968973
Here, have a (You), you deserve it for the effort.
>>
>>122968734
What if Jack the Ripper was a Vampire and he used knife wounds to cover his tracks (instead of teeth puncture wounds)?
>>
Alright, renamed and modified a crapload of non-evil/good aboveground plants that don't exist in real life. So now the aboveground areas are almost like real life, but when you dig deep enough you will uncover an entirely new and different world (Cave biome) Jules Verne style.
>>
File: 1432785102048.png (136 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
1432785102048.png
136 KB, 290x290
>>122970701
>>
Steam FB chillin'.
>>
>want my militia to wear bone and shell armour
>go under Materials
>a thousand options for leather of every animal, hides and silks from every possible permutation of forgotten beast, wool of creatures I've never even heard of in years of playing this game
>no option for bone or shell
>>
File: 1437730751191.png (185 KB, 779x700) Image search: [Google]
1437730751191.png
185 KB, 779x700
pls no die
>>
>>122980342
I've read on the wiki that specifying colour->white will make them use bone gear, but haven't tested it. Not sure about shell
>>
>>122984929
that's what I'm doing now, the shell I assume is green given the colour of the icon, but they could be some stupid things like gray and fucking teal or something
>>
>>122984302
I had a mayor who was molested by giant spiders or something. the mason was not on good terms with her and made several statues of her surrounded by them, one of which she put in her room, another in the meeting hall.
>>
File: Curses+1.png (35 KB, 512x768) Image search: [Google]
Curses+1.png
35 KB, 512x768
>>122967853
I've got some smaller versions floating around, plus some without the shading, for niggers.

>>122970701
Was removing muskets from dorfs deliberate so the workshops would show up right?

Other races have them but not dorfs for some reason.
>>
>>122979112
Then isn't it a water FB, anon? Get your story straight.
>>
>>
>Baby is born fully cave-adapted
>Her mother is a fisher, so she goes outside often
>Whole fortress is covered in vomit
How do I clean this mess up? Can I make mother drop the baby into magma lake?
>>
>>122988776
If you make the mother wear a decent armor, I guess you can send her through a danger room, which while it keeps the mother relatively safe, should destroy the baby.
>>
>>122988776
[DFHack]# clean all
>>
File: One day in SyrupFrenzy.webm (1018 KB, 1226x688) Image search: [Google]
One day in SyrupFrenzy.webm
1018 KB, 1226x688
>archers chasing some shitty human that wandered in
>bolt flies past him, flashing red and yellow
>realize it's the autumn leaves fluttering as the bolt whooshes by
>they chase human into a pond
>think my game is frozen as he's not moving
>realize he's beginning to transform underwater
>suddenly the water around him begins clouding with blood; the militia has finally caught up
>at the very moment of his death, deep in the fort a moody dwarf finishes a rock salt crown

this game really is beautiful sometimes
>>
>>122990005
For awful values of beautiful, yes.
>>
>>122989280
I have no militia, no armor and no traps aside cage ones. Waiting some time till she will have no issues with sun and flooding whole fortress will be easier cause everything is ready. I'm thinking of rebuilding fortress flloding sistem to work with magma. Do magma remove vomit and blood?
>>122989930
Thanks for the tip, but I do consider doing this as a cheat.
>>
File: WellRoofieJuiceIsntVomit.png (267 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WellRoofieJuiceIsntVomit.png
267 KB, 1920x1080
>>122990703
>Do magma remove vomit and blood?
It do.

If you're in certain areas though, it just comes back.

As for cheating, eh, I consider save-scumming over your own mistakes a cheat, but advocate all sorts of craziness with dfhack, so what can ya do?
>>
>>122991573
>Ctrl+SemicoShift+Ctrl+d
lmao
>>
>>122991998
That's two different ones, I have no clue off the top of my head what ctrl+semicolon does actually.

I play a lot of adventurer mode so my keybinds are tuned for it, which means the numpad keys are all movement/page flipping/looking around.

Shift+d is gui/gm-editor and defaults to opening df.global so I can explore the structures better, forget what the other one was, but I just rebound the less commonly encountered fort ones in favor of keeping my adventurer mode binds intact.

I also have a sad.

Cathelms is 15 years old now. We got a Grizzly Bear from the first elves we told to fuck off.

I let it roam the meeting areas and hang out during the parties as the unofficial mascot along with the only eagle to survive more than a month here (the rest exploding on impact with the glacier) and I can't even bury him properly since he wasn't a pet.

It just died of old age. T.T
>>
>>122992525
>That's two different ones
brb, I'm off to promote this fresh new DF meme on the other boards
>Ctrl+SemicoShift+Ctrl+d
>>
>>122993421
I do find it hilarious, but the reason being I honestly never noticed it looked like one massive keybind with a key that doesn't exist and the same key twice.

>the fuck is a Semico
>>
>>122994648
Semicolon
>anon
>>
I think anyone who is for allowing syrian refugees into their countries have never played dwarf fortress.
>>
>>122994648
Doesn't Control Semicolon bring up tutorial movies or something?
>>
>>122994648
Who's doing the policing down there?
>>
File: Pantcages?Really?OkFine.png (282 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Pantcages?Really?OkFine.png
282 KB, 1920x1080
>>122994808
Yeah, I know it is a Semicolon, but it looks like SemicoShift or just Semico+Shift or something sillly like that, never noticed until the other anon pointed it out.

>>122995112
Possibly, I remapped all the conflicts I've found so far.

The forgotten beast which was killing my crundle population got taken out by a blind cave ogre which I never noticed is actually terrifying.

>huge white monster
>huge mouth full of teeth
>two fingers and toes per hand and foot
>damn near a Zug
>>
>>122995624
>*gug
>been a while

>>122995619
The forgotten beast whatshisname who got killed by Pantcages the Gug.
>>
>>122996087

He just wanted a hug..but ended up squeezing a little too hard. He's practically harmless I tell ya.
>>
>>122996210
>armless
Armless ye say?
Are ye daft?

The damn things got too many o' them, if'n ye ask me!
>>
File: GoddammitPantcages.png (377 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GoddammitPantcages.png
377 KB, 1920x1080
>>122996504
That's it, fuck you blind cave ogres, I'm putting in Gugs now.
>>
>>122996504

B-but I said harmless. ;_;
>>
>>122968973
agreed
>>
>>122988325
>dwarves have to go through other people's rooms to get to their own

Shit
>>
>>122998812
Except they don't.

I'm not that anon, but it seems like he gives his workshop dwarves their own multi room housing units, with one room dedicated to their workshop.
>>
>>122986224
Yeah, I was forced to do it for the gunsmiths, sorry.
>>
>>122999140
I think I need to break up the houses better, perhaps a narrow break between each unit.

Be nice when shops are back so I can put residential, commercial and industrial areas.
>>
I added a "flesh" ore that can be turned into blocks or smelted into armor.

My dorves are runing around wearing flesh armor.
>>
>>122990005
>beginning to transform underwater
Hate to spoil your story with nitpicking, but he wasn't beginning to transform. Werebeast transformations are instantaneous and don't have any kind of time lapse; one tick you're a normal humanoid and the next tick you're bloodthirsty animal hybrid. The reason he stopped moving was an old pathing bug that causes some creatures to stop pathing entirely when they become submerged (most often seen with FBs in cavern lakes). Still a neat event in your fort, though.
>>
>>123005356
yeah, I think what actually happened was that he became enraged? I noticed it in the logs after, and it coincides with the flashing red ! so I can only assume that's what caused that.
>>
Is there anyone I could mod honey so that it could be used to disinfect?
>>
File: CLA_mythical.png (9 KB, 324x324) Image search: [Google]
CLA_mythical.png
9 KB, 324x324
>>122999793
Hmmm, doesn't that keep them from training with them properly? I know you can't start as a musketeer that way.

I was playing with the idea and did a couple tweaks to the CLA_mythical that I've been meaning to do for a while now*, and in the process added a Gug.

http://pastebin.com/v7rZXG4j

*The sasquatch is the creepiest damn tile ever but they're so rare in the worlds I make, while I was copying over the arms for the Gug I added them to the Yeti and Troll, then tweaked the troll tusks some which accidentally made them resemble a moustache, but I am ok with that.
>>
>>123003074
>flesh ore
We call them goblins.
>>
>>123006221
Well, you could mod a reaction that creates soap from honey, for sure.

You could also try adding the [SOAP] tag to honey but I'm afraid it will lead to all sorts of bugs.
>>
>>123007598
As far as I know the CROSSBOW (or in this case musketeer) skill gets trained as long as the dwarf is using a weapon that requires said skill (In this case, muskets/rifles/wathever)

Also, nice
>>
>>122922857
>Game not hard enough? play it with one hand
I just decided not to have them train at all with a barrack. They'll train with live specimen or die
>>122956048
That's the joke. that's why i spoiled it
>>122922442
I remember caging an uncountable amount of war dogs into a cage and realsing them when goblins invaded. They never stood a chance. Then i released a single squad of dwarves and massacred them.
>>
>>123014003
>Game not hard enough? play it with one hand

That is not even close to the same thing as inventing new ways to challenge yourself using the game's own mechanics.
>>
File: GugsWorked.png (234 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GugsWorked.png
234 KB, 1920x1080
>>123012768
Hmmm, annoying that the only way to do that is to make you pick fort or adventurer mode though.
>>
File: ThisIsReallyFuckinFun.png (229 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsReallyFuckinFun.png
229 KB, 1920x1080
>>123015445
So I was bummed to learn you can't have an interaction trigger a martial trance, but I know enough to fake one.

While playing around with it I realized that the mad scientist self-buff abilities need a max target line... several of these experimental creatures are buffed up and moving fast enough to make shit dangerous, and if you check you'll see I'm running around at 7.0 speed myself.

There was a Troll mad scientist at this tower but when I got close shit went down and they chased him down/killed him outside, he removed the hands of this Lark Joinhail guy before killing him, then his animated body came after me fast enough to almost catch up before I blew his brains out with a piece of yeti meat I hucked at him.

Victoranon had a fun idea for a more vanilla power level type game and I went and did this to it.

Though, it is really fun!

Gonna be horrifying to have these creatures chasing you at 5.0~6.0 speed though.
>>
Dwarf Fortress General is dead? Ahhhhhhh! No!
>>
>>123021617
It is for the best.
>>
>>123021617
what is dead can never die

I just appointed my very first guard captain, never done justice before. I lovingly laid out the guard schedules, down to which dorfs I wanted standing at the front gates. I figured, I'll figure out prison later, I only have a mayor and the mandates aren't too bad, I'll have some leeyway. the second I unpaused, the newly minted captain stormed into the fort, grabbed some shmuck who had broken one bylaw or another months ago, and started beating the shit out of him. so that was a fun wakeup call.
>>
File: OhGoodLordWhatIsAllThis.png (189 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
OhGoodLordWhatIsAllThis.png
189 KB, 1920x1080
>>123017779
Oh dear.
>>
I gotta be like 8 years in now, and no sieges yet. the hell. I have 99 population, I know other civs have access; I get human elf and dwarf traders, and I've had a few kobolds and even a gob werething wander in, so I know they're around. is my wealth not enough? I have three mood artifacts worth 48,000 together, plus the usual bins full of gems and finished goods.
I built an entrance I was looking forward to defending, but nobody wants to play ;_;
>>
File: HeartBreaker.png (90 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
HeartBreaker.png
90 KB, 1920x1080
Access isn't the same as "more convenient and appealing than these other targets somewhere else" sadly.

I just sat up on a nearby hillside sniping goblins while my creatures ran rampant among them.
>>
>>123023709
>that name
does this mod turn gobs into frenchmen?
>>
>>123023885
Glory to Napolanon, it does!
>>
I've got a whole bunch of yarn and a loom, but I keep getting job cancel messages. Says I need a collected yarn thread, but I'm staring at a bin full of them.
>>
>>123024402
that's hilarious. also I think I like your OP as fuck mad scientist better than a vanilla power level thing, but shouldn't the scientist himself be a frail little shit, and his creations be ridiculously strong? and would it be possible to have a chance of them losing control of their own experiments ie being hostile to all including them? just seems to fit the theme
>>
>>123025041
I am pretty fragile by comparison, and I'm still balancing the buff abilities.

It is terrifying but awesome having them running around buffing their creatures instead of sitting back raising corpses like a necromancer does.

This game was a test of whether I could put in a trance type self-trigger ability, and yes, yes I can. I do need to make it more sensible values but at least I figured out how to keep npcs from spamming it constantly.

Even without the buffs your creatures tend to make a great sniper screen since some of them are usually slow and linger nearby while the faster ones rush out after your targets.
>>
today I learned that even if your cistern is far below your well, so long as the well is below the cistern's water source, eventually is will overflow and flood your meeting hall. das a lotta mud.
>>
>>123026184
viper
floodgates my man
>>
>>123027815
they are there, I was just letting it get nice and full, and ironically I didn't notice the hall flooding because I was busy trying to make the idiots connect the overflow runoff floodgate to the lever for situations just like this. they had a clear path and I couldn't figure out why they kept suspending the job. I think they were knee deep in water.
>>
>>123028270
yeah you cant trust the useless fucks to do anything right

try using burrows, its a bit tedious but it works well
>>
>Too dumb to ever be a polymath like Toady
>>
>>123024501
>bin full of them
theres your problem. i always disallow containers in my thread stockpiles.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIGX7h5i_Js
>DF LP
>100k+ views
Guess people will stare at letters move on a grid if their favorite personality talks over it.
>>
>>123025041
Oh god, so I tweaked the trance and buff abilities, made a scientist+creature targetable buff that boosts speed so they can flee, then another creature only buff that adds a bunch of tags and jacks the combat ability up more.

I almost died and barely escaped crawling backwards, was able to get enough distance to travel away and heal.

Came back and set up campfires, sniped at them until they clustered around me, ran in and read a book then ran back out with a broken arm and shoulder despite the stacked speed buffs.

Also got touchable working so the scientists can only animate the creatures from right beside them.

Did I mention one of the dorf creatures had a gun and was shooting at me?

Yeah, one of the dorf creatures had a gun and was shooting at me.
>>
>>123034142
so the created abominations can use weapons? that definitely seems OP
>>
>>123033937
yes anon, its a show, like watching TV
>>
>>123034759

If they take a skill penalty for using maybe it'd work out, if that's even possible?
>>
>>123035582
well if these things are just mindless shamblers I'd say melee only would be appropriate if they're using weapons at all, hard to imagine frankenstein's monster operating a gun. if a skill penalty is possible though, it would be neat to have them firing ineffectually in the general direction of their target should they happen across a ranged weapon
>>
How nerfed are danger rooms in .40?
I heard they're less useful now, but legit training still seems slow too
>>
>>123036563
>but legit training still seems slow too
It's not, it's fast as fuck. They spend the first ~7 months doing individual drills and barely improving, and then they start sparring and they become legendary in every combat skill very quickly
>>
File: ThisWasWithFakedTranceActive.png (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ThisWasWithFakedTranceActive.png
201 KB, 1920x1080
>>123035938
>>123034759
Well, some of them are clothed and whatnot as though they were converted while alive or some shit, most of them are naked and unarmed, but they keep skills they had when alive.

I gave one of the axedorfs I killed his axe back and he's got like 10 kills so far.
>>
i'm a newb, is there a hard rule on pillar distance for avoiding cave ins? im building a three z level tall great hall.
>>
I had a weird experience that I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on.

I made a fort, it failed, etc.

I reclaimed a different fortress, one that had gone to ruin on its own. When I got there, it was full of hostile other dwarves, with normal jobs (gelder, weaver, etc.)

They killed my embark party.

I re-reclaimed the site (still in ruin) with a team of only military dwarves with only weaponry, and killed the 20-30 dwarves there and the additional handful of goblins there. Nothing else seemed strange about the fortress.

What happened there?
>>
>>123038153
In the current version you don't need support pillars or anything like that, as long as all the bits are attached to each other somewhere it won't collapse
>>
>>123038445
Most likely the hostile dwarves were invaders from the goblin civilization - they kidnap children from other races and indoctrinate them/train them to be like goblins. Why they had job titles like you say is beyond me, but I guess it's some sort of oddity to do with the reclaiming mechanic
>>
>>122965259
>>122965203
>>122965351
>>122965312

I was joking when I said that but if it's really that easy, it's cool to know. I definitely might make some races of my own and see how they fare in world gen.
>>
Is it possible to create a specific dwarf and inject him into a fort in the name of writing from his perspective in a succession?

I figured I alternatively could just rename or use an existing dwarf but that seems not as fun. I want a lazy noble who sits on his ass all day and doesnt interfere with the original 7
>>
>>123038672
I want to make a doomsday fort on collapsible pillars. Best course of action for making that happen?
>>
>>123042157
Just make sure the ceilings you want to collapse aren't attached to anything other than the pillars
>>
I have massive fuckstacks of fish, in barrels, on the floor, everywhere. and they're spamming no food available. I have like six fisheries and two kitchens, what exactly is their problem? picky? just retarded? it was never a problem until I got a bit of population boom, then suddenly the migrants didn't like the local fod. I'd tempted to build a flat oak raft and see how they float when I pull the lever
>>
>>123042032
>I want a lazy noble who sits on his ass all day and doesnt interfere with the original 7
So a noble.
>>
>>123042379
Is it prepared fish, or is it "raw"?
Dwarves that have both the fisherdwarf and fish cleaner professions will, in my experience, just keep fishing, and ignore their fish cleaning duties unless the labour is either turned off or they can't find anywhere to fish
>>
>>123042879
probably part of it. I really need to get the rapist going here, but I'm pretty happy with myself; this is by far the most successful I've ever been in vanilla, approaching FPS death, and only a single ded dorf; everyone is pretty content and my graveyard sits unused. regular crashes setting me back an hour probably helped by giving me a glimpse of the future, as did the complete lack of sieges.
>>
>>123042301
That's kinda what I figured but still learning, thanks. What's usually used to knock down pillars?
>>
>>123044276
If you build a lever, you can connect it to a pillar (or several). pulling the lever will then deconstruct the pillar(s)

>>123043273
rapist isn't really necessary if you assign labours as dwarves move in
as fishing goes, personally I never have more than 1 fisher and 1 fish cleaner, no matter the size of the fort
>>
>>123044276
>>123045108
It feels like someone should point out that the "pillars" here aren't the tiletype with the same name(which is simply a single wall tile) but what the build menu calls a "support".
>>
>>123045535
thank you, my mind was just a little blown by that revelation, having never messed with support pillars
>>
>>123045535
right, I totally forgot that about that, cheers anon. It's been ages since I've used a support
>>
>>123038046
Just tossing this out there:
Another anon asked about the possibility of the mad scientists losing control of their creations. I'll bet a convincing facsimile of that could be achieved if you were to have some of the buffs your scientists apply add the [PRONE_TO_RAGE:X] tag (I'm pretty sure that's what it is). Perhaps with higher values for x for stronger buffs. It might lead to some strange loyalty cascadish situations, though.
>>
File: SniperScientistYo.png (146 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SniperScientistYo.png
146 KB, 1920x1080
Ok, I've got an interesting little result here.

Basically the frankenstein's monster creatures are strong and durable like zombies, but they feel pain, can barf, talk, retain skills, etc.

This means they're somewhat easier than a zombie, but not too much.

It also means they remember they were fighting you, so if you happen to rush into a tower to become a mad scientist yourself, you don't lose aggro from the ones that wanted to fight you already... weee.

Now, the interesting bit? In my attempts to make the mad scientist more distinct from necromancers I tried to add the jekyll/hyde type buffs, the scientist can only get the speed buff, and can give it to up to 9 other creatures within touch range.

You can also give them weapons, they won't wear clothes and stuff, nor will they wear a quiver, but if you give them a gun and a stack of bullets they'll blast stuff happily.

You also have to be within touch range to create them, so that's another distinction, no standing back endlessly reanimating corpse chunks, gotta be more tactical about that.

It is also good to know which ones are in better shape/better armed, because there is another ability you can only use on them, I put the limit up at 30 because it's annoying doing 10 at a time, and it is brutal.

Removes the pain, fear, nausea, paralyze, etc, boosts their stats, speed, and gives a general 2/3 material multiplier damage reduction.

Again, gotta be touch range to buff them, but it makes a scientist with a squad a much more interesting and nasty opponent than a necromancer and their fire-and-forget zombies.

I wanted to thin my herd (had like 110~120 I think?) so I launched myself up onto the smoothed walls of this temple and started sniping while the horde ran into a bunch of soldiers and merchants.

Still super fun, and when I drop back down to the ground I can pick which ones I want to animate instead of just grabbing what I can like I did starting out.
>>
File: IsntItGlorious.png (243 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IsntItGlorious.png
243 KB, 1920x1080
>>123048591
They already constantly bicker amongst each other, I think some of the killed ones have memories of being killed or something, pretty sure if you set off any sort of intercreature fighting they would just eat each other.

In adventurer mode rage just makes it so you can't move away/dodge away from a foe, only move towards them/dodge to the side so you are forced to remain in contact.

Note also that I've been testing and balancing these, as I always do, with an extra buff on my end, besides making for fun testing, it means the difficulty is scaled towards a higher end character than you would generally be working with.

I was trying to avoid using the no thought for moment/connection stuff but it makes them roll around pushing stuff instead of fighting.

While it is nice not having to crawl around under them, it isn't what I was after.

At least there is no reanimating heads/hands, gotta be a torso at a minimum, and I don't think I can reanimate them if the head/hands are gone.
>>
>>123049229
>stitched together manthing mumbling incoherently and vomiting as it fires it's musket at you
sounds horrifying, I like it
>>
>>123050065
Calling itself TRANS_NAME] and talking about how cold it is.

'OF COURSE IT IS COLD, YOU'VE BEEN DEAD FOR HOURS AND YOU'RE NAKED, PUT ON SOME FUCKING PANTS! HERE, TAKE THEM!'

"Oh, how kind, thank you, I shall use these to beat people about the face and ass with."

'NO, PUT THEM ON, DO IT FAGGOT, FUUUUUU-'
>>
File: ÔggonGim.png (74 KB, 1600x1010) Image search: [Google]
ÔggonGim.png
74 KB, 1600x1010
>>
File: ThuvegThuvegThuveg.png (64 KB, 1600x1010) Image search: [Google]
ThuvegThuvegThuveg.png
64 KB, 1600x1010
>>
>>123053349
>>123055562
Didn't mean to combo, wish I'd started further up now.
>>
My legendary carpenter's spiked balls don't have quality levels anymore, meaning I can only get 126 uristbucks for each of them.

Has it got anything to do with him becoming permanently blind after getting caught in a mist?
>>
File: This-Page-Is-Your-Friend.jpg (80 KB, 419x591) Image search: [Google]
This-Page-Is-Your-Friend.jpg
80 KB, 419x591
>>123060369
So I seem to remember.
>>
>>123061043
>He does suffer a severe drop in the quality of his work.
Fuk, don't care about his artifact or heaps of masterworks, this guy is useless to me now. I'll pit him against the trolls in the arena.
>>
If I have some particularly dense type of wood around, could I make some wooden clubs?

I've embarked in a shitty spot with no readily available weapons grade metal (not even fucking copper) but I've got a lot of oak wood, which is relatively dense as far as wood goes.
>>
File: 1283082760278.gif (217 KB, 436x396) Image search: [Google]
1283082760278.gif
217 KB, 436x396
>>123062069
Use wooden crossbows to hammer them?
>>
>>123062069
Why not make crossbows?
>>
>>123062138
>>123062143
Hmm, that's true enough, I guess

I don't like fucking around with crossbows because managing ammo is tedious but since I just want shit to bash trogs with it might work out.
>>
File: 2spooky.png (14 KB, 802x627) Image search: [Google]
2spooky.png
14 KB, 802x627
Ghouls are here

Wendigos are almost finished

Now Evil climates have a few more evil critters that will fuck your shit up.

A small tip: You can easily disable a Wendigo's hoofs if you have enough strength. For some reason hoofs are super-weak
>>
File: 1236355985055.png (157 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1236355985055.png
157 KB, 450x450
>>123062208
Make them a bit of ammo and some quivers anyway, if they're set to use ranged weapons then perhaps in the confusion of battle they'll fire them occasionally.
>>
My guardsmen are all weak and skinny, for some reason. This is hilarious because it puts them in a wholly diferent category than the soldiers, who are buff like hell, and the civilians, who are all obese.
>>
>>123065597
That's hilarious.
>>
File: spookyMooseMonster.png (16 KB, 802x627) Image search: [Google]
spookyMooseMonster.png
16 KB, 802x627
>>123064104
>>
>>123066576
Not sure if Napoleanon or MaxTM.
>>
>>123066656
Napoleanon
>>
>>123062208
You need some metal for bolts though. Wood bolts are meme tier.

Obsidian short swords maybe? Heard people have had success with them but never tried myself
>>
File: man-thinking.jpg (108 KB, 426x282) Image search: [Google]
man-thinking.jpg
108 KB, 426x282
Am I a bad person for pirating DF from via torrent?
>>
>>123067128
>Pirating DF

nigga you retarded
>>
Alright /dfg/, I have a problem and a possible solution.
Last thread I told you how some forgotten beast roasted my military in seconds with his fiery breath. I managed to lock him in a certain part of my fort, and now he is flying around outside burning the whole forest down.

Thing is, right before that thing barged through, a human caravan came. Those guys are now save and sound, locked away behind some bridges. I just got the message that they'll leave soon, but they can't because those bridges are still raised.

My question: how long would it take for these humans to go mad and abandon their caravan? I bought all their food and drink (except for blood and ichor). I want them to go mad and later I'll pull the lever to open the bridges. Hopefully, they won't just go away like normal but instead walk around crazed, eventually going into combat with the FB

Naturally, I'll wall them off from the rest of my fort.

Another question: once those guys turn mad, can they use the gear they have in the wagon?
>>
>>123067245
>once those guys turn mad, can they use the gear they have in the wagon?
I'm not sure if they can, they most likely won't though.
After all they're insane at that point. So they won't use better armor or weapons, but they might throw that stuff around in their madness.

Why don't you just let them leave normally and let them deal with the dragon in a more sane way? I think your chances of success (i.e. the dragon dies) are greater that way.
On an unrelated note, if you're accepting that the caravan never returns to their home anyway, you have no reason to go through the tedious trade process, you can just seize everything to begin with.

Also: Shields. Even low quality wooden shields block everything without breaking.

Build some shields for your dwarves. And create some marksdwarves. Carve out fortifications and bait the dragon with something if the caravan plan fails.
>>
>>123068159
I thought about leaving them sane, but the problem is that they'd have a fair chance to just wander off as a caravan as normal
>>
>>
File: SeeSomeonesOpinionAndJust.jpg (56 KB, 441x705) Image search: [Google]
SeeSomeonesOpinionAndJust.jpg
56 KB, 441x705
>>123067128
i can't believe what i'm reading, no way this faggot is an actual human; it has to be a spambot.
NO ONE is that fucking retarded.

>>123067245
just release them and have the beast claim their lives. depending on the guard equipment, they might do some damage. the worst that happens is the next caravan is angry you didn't protect the last one, doesn't come at all, or humans siege (very unlikely due to how sieges work now)
>>
>>123068342
That depends on their position. If they cross the dragon they WILL engage.
>>
>>123068401
>NO ONE is that fucking retarded.

Evidently there ARE people who are that retarded, because you actually take him seriously.

It's called a joke pal, lighten up.
>>
>>123068342
When they're insane they might just stay in your trade depot though.
>>123068401
He's just shitposting to bump the thread.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 186

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.