[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vg/ - Video Game Generals

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 234
File: FUCKING ELVES.png (234 KB, 444x604) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING ELVES.png
234 KB, 444x604
"Why argue when there are elves to exterminate" edition

Previous thread: >>121626446

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.40.24:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn (embed)

Strike the earth!
>>
File: curses_racial.png (8 KB, 288x240) Image search: [Google]
curses_racial.png
8 KB, 288x240
Remembered that at the larger size of this I can trim a bit more away and have it look right so I could have the hollow faces alternated with the solid military faces.
>>
Is the starter pack still bork for Adventure Mode?
>>
>>121978294
Do you mean to ask if the starter pack works for adventure mode? Sure it does. Why wouldn't it?
>>
>>121978378
Probably talking about twbt being broken and just linking it with the starter pack since it is probably enabled by default.
>>
File: fancybeard.jpg (37 KB, 552x367) Image search: [Google]
fancybeard.jpg
37 KB, 552x367
>>121978574
I want multi level view! It's not fair!
>>
>>121978821
shh no tears, only crashes
>>
>>121977801
>copying the op and not the pasta
Plz go
>>
File: 3-003.png (26 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
3-003.png
26 KB, 480x320
1st for magma wells when
lali
>>
File: Interrupted.jpg (33 KB, 300x335) Image search: [Google]
Interrupted.jpg
33 KB, 300x335
>>121979204
We already have plenty of dumb memes that directly relate to the game, please don't try to force any.
>>
File: curses_squareshade.png (44 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
curses_squareshade.png
44 KB, 512x512
>>121978821
Eh, I love twbt and such but the adventurer (more specifically travel map entry) mode crashes were too much for me to ignore. Saving every few minutes just got really annoying.

Though, that is why I started fucking around with tilesets and rescaling, so, that worked out well I guess.

Hmmm, that's a bummer. Trying to scale this down to square didn't work as well, guess I'll have to redraw the shading on the 16x16 after I double it tomorrow.
>>
>>121979204
>trying to foce memes in slow threads with less than 100 posters
at least try it with something funny
>>
File: giphy.gif (925 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
925 KB, 500x281
>>121979204
>>
File: How about a n ice cold one.png (48 KB, 1600x1010) Image search: [Google]
How about a n ice cold one.png
48 KB, 1600x1010
>>121979385
>something funny

Woah there mister, lets not get prone to great ambition here, I don't want to be excluded from the community because of an absurd expectation for my attempts at humour to be funny.
>>
>>121979385
Let me know when you think of something better.
>>
>>121979441
Jesus I'm a dumbass, just noticed I was working on the V instead of the U for the base of the humans, no clue how I copied the V over and didn't notice it.
>>
its impossible for anybody to be cool on 4chan. everybody is so busy tearing down every one else, that nothing can grow.
>>
File: Strafakrayldus master theif.png (63 KB, 1600x1010) Image search: [Google]
Strafakrayldus master theif.png
63 KB, 1600x1010
>>121979515
>something better than a forced reference to an unrelated game you happen to like

Perhaps we could raise the bar a little higher than that?

Like this cunning little kobold who found a foolproof way to steal crossbow-bolts from my fortress!
>>
to be fair, there is a lot of legit stupid behavior on this forum. People here are so ignorant that its not worth the effort to come up with a snappy comeback, it goes right over their heads.
>>
>>121979731
Still upset that someone asked you to substantiate your claims, Urist?
>>
>>121979681
what, by getting shot with them? thats a little obtuse
>>
Whats a good anime to watch while Dorforting
>>
File: haters.jpg (17 KB, 385x277) Image search: [Google]
haters.jpg
17 KB, 385x277
>>121979807
>>
>>121979835
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Wait, what do you want from your anime?
>>
Are we getting invaded or did everyone decide to shitpost at the same time?
>>
File: curses_racial.png (8 KB, 288x240) Image search: [Google]
curses_racial.png
8 KB, 288x240
>>121979918
>tits and ass and lots of chicks making out
Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid

>Lighthearted humor and nostalgia with outerspace combat and yelling
Dragonball Super

>I have no fucking idea what is going on and I've been watching for years
Durarara

>The best shit ever, literally ever, yes, better than whatever you're thinking of, no, seriously
One Punch Man

>>121979568
Easier fix than I thought.
>>
>>121979918
Considering Dwarf Fort is about Dwarves doing Dwarf things, something similar
>>
File: 1236469526062.jpg (98 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
1236469526062.jpg
98 KB, 750x600
>>121979602
Yeah, but we're different, this general can trace it's lineage all the way back to /v/ before the Generals attacked, and we weathered their bullshit just fine.

We actually LIKE having new players about, it's not like the other generals where they're always on the hunt for people who don't know as much as them so they can tear them apart for their ignorance. We might squabble a bit over details more than we need to, but I think even that is driven by a desire to present accurate information for our lurkers. (Hi there!)

We nurture our artists, share shitty artifacts, discuss why comics are bad without trying to apply the B^U rule, argue over the prettiest graphics pack and gently bicker over the genocidal racism that pervades the game. We're even a hard community to troll, because most of the time we remain completely oblivious to every line of attack, and start trying to help the troll find a graphics pack to fix his issues with the visuals, give him tips on managing the interface or just adopt the comics they're trying to attack us with, that kind of thing is far too rare on 4chan.

>>121979808
Yeah, it's a real bugger to wrangle it into an almost joke, and even if you can the joke is laughable at best.

And it's STILL better than some drivel like "Magma wells when".

>>121979987
This isn't an invasion, don't pull the fucking lever!
>>
>>121980194
Its not really a joke.

I actually want magma wells.

I'd pay, like, 50 bucks for them.
>>
>>121980123
Well, the Drifters anime isn't out yet...
You could watch the first season of Record of Lodoss War. PARN!
Hmm.
>>
>>121980308
What the fuck are they?
>>
>>121980384
I'm taking it as a well that can use a magma-safe bucket to bring it up several z-levels, which would be incredibly useful.
>>
>>121980308
I kinna wanna give toady money anyways. He seems like the kind of guy who needs it.
>>
>>121980423
yeah, and then you can use it to fill a pond, like you can with water.
>>
>>121980194
Basically, yeah. I've been across a couple of other boards for more than just reading jokes or lookin at pr0n but this one isn't nearly the same sort of assholishness.

I think the game is so mean we don't feel the need to be mean to each other.

We all know what it is like to struggle in vain and do your best to and make your little dudes happy, only to watch them all die one by one to something you didn't even think could happen.

Oh, I forgot an anime which is kinda a weird suggestion, but has a great reason for it: Maria the Virgin Witch.

Why?

Set aside the plot and all that shit, whether you care about it or not isn't the point, look at those goddamn battle formations and gear and fighting methods!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFOJFyTl1U
>>
I generally don't like embarking on a volcano because its hard to find one next to a river.
>>
>>121980542
>skallagrim

I've seen people with the dwarf face as their youtube picture quite a few times in his comments. It can't be a coincidence that a portion of Dwarf Fortress players have an interest in medieval weapons and how they work.
>>
>>121980423
>>121980504
I see, I'd thought this was an unrelated mechanic from another game, my apologies.

Would it be possible to manually trigger a well's dipping function somehow? You'd still have to persuade the dorf to treat a bucket of lava the same way he'd treat water, but one step at a time eh?
>>
>>121977801
I only ever really cared for 3 anime series, (though there were plenty of good movies) the original robotech, the original dragonball, and cowboy bebop.

I always wanted to check out southern cross, but i'm not sure where to find it.
>>
>>121980571
That's why you reroute the river!
>>
>>121980696
with a magma pond fill.

pond fills are great for farming.
>>
File: Armor Articulation 2.webm (3 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Armor Articulation 2.webm
3 MB, 1024x768
>>121980665
You ain't seen anything unless you look at /mbg/, or certain /tg/ threads.
>>
>>121980734
No, i mean next to river at all. Plus when you do find one they are usually on opposite sides, so building flood channels to keep the water pressure high enough to reach your fort is a pain.

You can either build next to a river, build next to a volcano, or try to build in the middle. Thats assuming you can find a volcano next to a river at all.
>>
>>121980820
look at how well that arm joint is articulated. You see the way those plates overlap? thats whats missing from most modern designs, is craftsmanship.
>>
>>121980820
>You ain't seen anything unless you look at /mbg/

I used to browse, when I played Mount and Blade a shit ton but I stopped after I lost interest. /twg/ had a pretty keen interest in weapons, although discussion leaned towards history more. I don't go there anymore though, and from what I've heard it's a shithole anyway.

A little related, I wanted to make a historical weapons and armor mod (and I did partially), but I feel the amount of tokens you can use on a weapon just aren't enough to distinguish weapons, especially because of the lack of a range on melee weapons. It's a shame really. I can only eagerly await for that update that contains formations.
>>
>>121980696
watch them try to use it to clean someones wounds..
>>
>>121980807
Aren't they horribly inefficient and take loads of buckets or time?

I always figure if I'm needing to make a hole in the ceiling of the farm, I might as well dig that hole from a water source and put a door/level setup in the way somewhere. Get it done at the same time as creating a secure water source.
>>
>>121981010
that'd be awesome. formations would be the shit for df.
>>
>graphics tileset clearly show a cactus
>its bamboo
baka desu
>>
File: 1284597865034.png (32 KB, 284x271) Image search: [Google]
1284597865034.png
32 KB, 284x271
>>121981010
>and from what I've heard it's a shithole anyway

Most of the generals are awful, we've settled right in the middle of sinister badlands here.
>>
File: Armor Articulation 1.webm (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Armor Articulation 1.webm
2 MB, 1024x768
>>121980997
NASA got access to a similar suit of plate for study, to learn from it and apply the lessons hardwon over centuries of warfare to their spacesuits.
They also have taken NASCAR seat harnesses for study, because of how well they protect the drivers.

That suit would be 17th century technology, the last gasp of the fully armoured soldier, but oh how well armored they were.
>>
>>121981078
well, they are a pain because only one dwarf will ever try to fill a pond at a time, but you can work around that by splitting each tile into a separately designated area.

You only need to spill water on one rock tile to make it farmable, but if you really want to get tricky you can channel a one tile wide pitt that is 2 or 3 z levels deep and fill it to the top.

You only need to get the tile to 3/7's before it no longer evaporates.
>>
File: fire men.png (171 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
fire men.png
171 KB, 540x405
>>121981184
>Most of the generals are awful

True, but I heard /twg/ is REALLY bad but of course that is just a few people's account.

Gonna post an artifact I made just to attempt to keep my post on topic.
>>
help, my dwarf therapist auto disables/enables some weird combination of labors to my dwarves. Everytime I start a new fort, it disables mining for my 2nd miner, woodcutting, and hauling jobs for all. And adds all the farming skills to everyone.
>>
>>121977801
I don't ever use minecarts.

I hardly ever even use wheelbarrows.
>>
>>121981446
the minecart interface is too complicated. Its too much of a pain in the ass to dick around with when you can just haul shit en mass with all your useless labor dwarves.

I think the problem with wheelbarrels is that they are linked to a stockpile. If you could just store them in a seperate stockpile and use them for whatever, like you can with barrels and bags, that would be better.
>>
>>121981626
>I think the problem with wheelbarrels is that they are linked to a stockpile

Also the fact you are limited to like 3 minecarts.
>>
I'm too softhearted with migrants. I don't practice proper airlock discipline. I also hate sieges. Not because I don't enjoy the concept, just because I suck at violence.
>>
>>121981668
yeah. if i could just have a stockpile of like 25 wheelbarrels next to all my other stockpiles, that would be way better.
>>
File: 1427199208782.jpg (360 KB, 710x508) Image search: [Google]
1427199208782.jpg
360 KB, 710x508
>>121981668
>minecarts

Getting way too tired to still be posting on 4chan.
>>
>>121981778
You can make feeder piles.

3 feeder piles w/ 3 wheelbarrows
1 pre-qsp pile with 3 wheelbarrows
1 qsp with the minecart dumping off onto it
>>
Is it hipster to have a still in your tavern?

I've been to a couple of REALLY nice microbrewing pubs, but they still had that kinda cunty vibe despite how nice the ale and food was.

>>121981668
You are?
>>
>>121981432
Did you use automation or something?

Check your optimiser/scripts
>>
>>121981953
I'm scared so I just re"installed?" DF+LNP
I had no profiles saved to Dtherapist and it kept trying to do the same settings even while I'm trying to disable the labor
I thought it was a ghost
>>
>>121979348
Scaling down never works well. Why didn't you scale up the short side instead?

Also, if you want a large curse, why didn't you use Haowan/Myne as a base?
>>
File: After the Aftermath Cleanup.png (96 KB, 1561x967) Image search: [Google]
After the Aftermath Cleanup.png
96 KB, 1561x967
Would it be possible to give invaders the impression they are going to be able to access my fortress, without actually exposing vulnerable areas to them?

Last I heard, the community still wasn't sure what exactly the invaders target when they path into your fortress, and I'd like to have secure defenses that aren't an impenetrable front gate for a change.
>>
>hunter go hunt that emu
>emu literally just stands there vomiting and taking damage, splattering blood on the brook, not giving a fuck
>tanks 4 quivers full of wooden bolts
>make him captain so I can force order him to just punch the god damn thing
It died finally, am I not allowed to take the corpse of an emu if I killed it via kill order?
>>
>>121984017
Hmm not sure if it's what you're looking for but I usually route a trap hallway around my gate, so when the gate is shut they'll be forced to path into the traps.
>>
>>121985169
I'd like to be able to seal off my civilian areas in such a way that invaders don't hang around outside awkwardly wondering if I heard them knock.

I'm only going to have the 'trap' route into my fortress this time, so I'm not worried about closing off any shortcuts, I'd just like to be able to have the trap route open at all times without exposing myself to so much danger if my militiary collapses.
>>
>want to learn to play this game
>again
>get autistic about every little mistake I do
>start new game
>repeat
>stop playing the game

How can I overcome this.
This game has everything I could hope for, yet I sperg all over it.
>>
File: A truly horrid beast.png (21 KB, 639x300) Image search: [Google]
A truly horrid beast.png
21 KB, 639x300
>>121990250
>I sperg all over it.
So stop sperging out. Relax and enjoy the music.
>>
>>121990250
>How can I overcome this.
Stop getting autistic about every little mistake you do.
Duh.

Don't pick an embark location, just embark where you are when the embark screen appears. Don't prepare carefully.
Don't choose a point where you dig into the earth, just dig down where you stand, or the closest wall.
Don't plan out rooms, dig them out right as you need them right where you have space.

No mistakes, happy accidents, etc.
>>
Anons how do I make a raw material stockpile for my brewery and kitchen.
Also my current food stockpile is weird, my dorfs aren't using pots/barrels in it ( it has maxed barrels settings and I'm making constant stream or barrels+pots) , hell I have empty barrels lying right next to the stockpile.
my food are rotting/plants wilting send help

I remade the stockpile multiple times, nothing is happening
>>
>>121990953
food doesn't rot if it's not in barrels, as long as it's in a stockpile. It will generate files but those don't do anything.
>>
>>121990705
>>121990470
o-ok
>>
Is it possible to decide the dwarf colors?
I would like to decide it myself
>>
>>121990470
> Alba

Fuckin' Scots, man.
>>
page 9 bump
>>
>>121993207
You mean skin and hair and so on? DFhack.
>>
>>121997043
No, I mean the color in which they are represented in the [U]nits list and on the map.
>>
>>121997648
That's their profession, which depends on their highest skill.
The easiest way would be to make a colored graphic set for your dwarves.

I.e. take the dwarf graphic, put it in a new file, copy it as many times as you want different colors, color them as you want, and write a text file to go with it.

Wiki pages "graphics" and "graphic_set" have extensive information.
>>
>get a sudden announcement that 3 of my dwarves have inherited the position of baron/baroness

Sooo did a site get conquered somewhere? It's only the third year of this fort
>>
>>121984628
The hunter won't bring it back to the butcher shop as usual.

However, if there is a butcher shop close enough to the corpse, the butcher will haul it there by himself.
>>
>>121978378

Whenever you fast travel 90% of the time, the game crashes, rather it crashing only 5% of the time.
>>
Anyone tried the GOOD_EVIL_MIX that comes with LNP?
>>
>>121997860
I'll look into it, thanks.
>>
File: Myne36x54.png (31 KB, 576x864) Image search: [Google]
Myne36x54.png
31 KB, 576x864
>>121983980
I'm doing them all.
>>
File: BigasamAscii.png (139 KB, 576x864) Image search: [Google]
BigasamAscii.png
139 KB, 576x864
>>121999171
More specifically, when the game loads the different map sizes repeatedly with twbt enabled it tends to crash, ESPECIALLY on the first load after a save.
>>
File: curses_halfshade.png (16 KB, 512x768) Image search: [Google]
curses_halfshade.png
16 KB, 512x768
*blushes and stammers nervously*

CLA-senpai liked my letter-shape racial graphics idea.

*accidentally gets water splashed on him, revealing his erect nipples*

I think once I get a better idea how to do this effect I'm gonna try it on a couple other sets, I know I love the way Wanderlust looks, and I know others do as well, and it worked REALLY well with the big curses set.

Think I'm gonna do the gradation a little finer and then see if I can apply it to another set to comfy it up some more.
>>
File: 1406585471719.gif (130 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1406585471719.gif
130 KB, 450x300
So how do you defend against digging invaders when it gets implemented. Is it just one invader digs to the fort and you deal with them, or they dig and the entire fucking siege is behind them?
>>
>>122003494
You protect yourself from digging invaders by covering your entire fort in magma, forcing the goblin scum to use your front door.
>>
File: ImprovedWallsAndColumns.png (25 KB, 340x474) Image search: [Google]
ImprovedWallsAndColumns.png
25 KB, 340x474
Ah! I noticed I left the center of the wall shading intact which misses part of the effect of the Phstthpok walls effect I stole for Bigasam.

>>122003998
Set up trenches and constructed walls, have magma in the trenches, by all means guys, dig into it!

>>122003494
Or this.
>>
>>122003183
That tileset would be top-tier, if it wasn't for the differently shaded backgrounds. I assume that the point is to make grass into an actual green mass rather than small dot, and make blood splatter visible all over the floor, rather than just within the small confine of the used character,.

Still, I'm not quite happy about it. Mind making a version with all-transparent backgrounds?
>>
File: curses_clearshade.png (15 KB, 512x768) Image search: [Google]
curses_clearshade.png
15 KB, 512x768
>>122004621
Like so?

I have a .xcf I keep updated as I tweak the shading stuff so I just drop the other layers in and scale them then play with them in there.
>>
>>122005176
Hmmm, I merged the tilemagic wall/floor shading into the main curses layer at some point, I could remove it but it is really fucking harsh when you engrave walls like that and there is no difference with un-engraved walls.
>>
>An elven caravan has arrived

Should I kill them all?
>>
>>122005406
yes
>>
>>122005406
Elfs can bring you logs and fancy animals.

Up to you if you prefer the extra fun, or the few trinkets they bring.
>>
File: CursesComparo.png (126 KB, 901x1006) Image search: [Google]
CursesComparo.png
126 KB, 901x1006
>>122005332
I flipped over to the curses32x48 set which has no shading/tile magic (or column aparently, oops) for a comparison of why I think the tilemagic walls/floors are way better.
>>
>>122005176
Well, I meant the walls and floor, as well.
>>
>>122003494
I hope they only dig through soil layers.
>>
>>121977801
They probably provided him with the piece of wood. Those hippy bastards!
>>
File: CurseYouAnon.png (15 KB, 512x768) Image search: [Google]
CurseYouAnon.png
15 KB, 512x768
>>122006215
Herm, I can I think.
>>
File: sheep2.gif (50 KB, 294x233) Image search: [Google]
sheep2.gif
50 KB, 294x233
No idea how this fucker got up there.
>>
>>122005708
>>122005630

I just murdered them

Kek, I bet they will siege me or something, that would be my first siege

And possibly the last
>>
How do I butcher caged animals?
>>
>>122006784
Is it a wild animal? They won't butcher it unless it's trained/tame. If it is they just take it to the butcher's shop like normal.
>>
>>122006784
press z
press Enter
if the animal in question is already tame, select it and press b
if it's wild, you'll have to train it first. you can do that in the same screen by just pressing t with the animal selected.
>>
File: Shaved Toad.jpg (189 KB, 635x433) Image search: [Google]
Shaved Toad.jpg
189 KB, 635x433
https://www.projectoxford.ai/demo/emotion#detection

>doesn't recognise dorf faces
>>
File: Poor Jeb, always forgotten.jpg (222 KB, 641x397) Image search: [Google]
Poor Jeb, always forgotten.jpg
222 KB, 641x397
>>122009351
All in all, I'm deeply disappointed.
>>
File: normalisinggenocide.png (168 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
normalisinggenocide.png
168 KB, 500x500
>>122009351
>>
>34 dorf population
>Killed a few elven traders
>Around 193000 wealth
>Shitloads of booze and food
>Aboveground fortress protecting my aboveground farms and entrance to my fort
>Underground farms which are pretty meh but still nice to have
>No sieges

How am I doing?
>>
File: Life goal complete.jpg (136 KB, 387x485) Image search: [Google]
Life goal complete.jpg
136 KB, 387x485
You know what, this is shit for us, since it only really likes photos apparently.
>>
File: elfbone.png (36 KB, 1280x750) Image search: [Google]
elfbone.png
36 KB, 1280x750
>>
>>122006347
Nice. I'll try it out as soon as I've finished studying for tonight(don't ask why I'm on 4chin when I should be studying).
>>
File: 1236162202429.jpg (88 KB, 501x600) Image search: [Google]
1236162202429.jpg
88 KB, 501x600
>>122011481
We know why you're on 4chin, now fuck off and study so you don't have to waste 5 hours of fortress designing time listening to christmas songs in retail hell like me.
>>
Is it still possible for a caravan of a race that's not a neighbor to come by rarely?

There's no elven civilization nearby, but I'd like to see their fancy animals
or start a war
I guess humans suffice
>>
File: curses_racial.png (7 KB, 288x240) Image search: [Google]
curses_racial.png
7 KB, 288x240
>>122011481
Ah yes, contributing to the delinquency of others, it's a good feeling.

If you want some racial graphics for it I just finished cleaning up some of the edges and the shading on them.

As I said above, I fit them into the outlines of the tiles, so the dead goblins/remembered positions are the same size/shape as the g, elves are the same as the e, etc.

http://pastebin.com/nWHA8fsp

I narrowed the outlines of the dorf face to make it match the others better, as there wasn't QUITE enough room to fit the hollow face style as it was, but since it's so big it doesn't look fuzzy like it would at lower resolutions.

Which is part of why I didn't try to smooth any of the edges in the curses shaded sets, keep the vanilla clunky charm with the pretty shading effect.
>>
>>122012410
No, I don't think you're going to see any elves
>>
>>122006784
>>122007242
>>122007332
Or you can just pit wild monsters down a few dozen z levels if they aren't flying. That'll butcher them quite fine.
>>
>>122012353
>implying I'm not a humanities student who will end up there anyway

>>122013346
Those graphics are amazing. I love how loyal you stuck to the original tiles; gobbos have accent mark shaped eyes, referring to how they look when they shine in the dark, soldiers having umlauts above their heads, et cetera.
>>
>>122013465
That's too bad.
Hopefully Toady will implement independant merchant caravans that are a rare occurence someday.

On the sunny side, my fortress won't stink up.

>>121945436
So the patient I was talking about was never removed. She's now struck by melancholy and FINALLY moved her ass.

What are some fun things to do with your non-dangerous mental patients?
She's very slow, part due to the insanity, part due to the fact that her hip and foot were smashed beyond recognision. So I might be able to do something.
>>
Year 2, got lots of dwarves and dosh and killed an elven caravan

No sieges at all

Is this normal?
>>
>>122017624
Completely.
>>
File: AA.jpg (122 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
AA.jpg
122 KB, 800x600
>Make Large Gems 2/2

>>122017624
where did you embark? post site populations and how close they are to you on the world map
and what's your population?
>>
>>122017767
34 dwarves, I embarked on a temperate nice place. I got lots of statues, smooth walls and carved stuff + lots and lots of crafts (Including golden crafts) and weapons (Iron armor/weapons and Elf bones arrows )

Don't really know the world populations and I don't really want to retire my fort as it will probably fuck everything up.
>>
>>122017624
>Year 2
Yes, normal. In addition to proximity, whether they're in another war, and whether they have a sufficient site populationm you should wait 5 years or so.
>>
>>122017991
>5 years or so
>At 30 FPS
Suffering
>>
>>122017960
Read the wiki, man. you need 80 pop before you get invasions unless you've modded the game.

But really, you need to embark very close to a goblin site to get an invasion ever, otherwise mostly what you'll be dealing with are occasional werecreatures (very annoying early on because they'll attack you right away), megabeasts, and forgotten beasts
>>
File: fucking llamas.jpg (98 KB, 585x415) Image search: [Google]
fucking llamas.jpg
98 KB, 585x415
Does anyone know why my llamas want to escape their nice pen?
>>
>>122018303
They're trying to get back to their natural river habitat.
>>
File: BlamBlamMOtherFuckas.png (254 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
BlamBlamMOtherFuckas.png
254 KB, 1920x1080
>>122014147
Ty ty, I got the idea from CLA and his sets.
>>
>>122018998
>mfw people actually play my mod

This gives me a reason to keep developing it

Too bad I ran out of fucking ideas
>>
File: dat llama cloth.png (15 KB, 794x484) Image search: [Google]
dat llama cloth.png
15 KB, 794x484
>>122018960

Are you joking with me right now this is no joking matter this is serious business.
>>
>>122019480
No worries, you've got decades of patching and bugfixing ahead of you anyways, enjoy!

>>122018998
Looking forward to seeing your smoother gradients with Myne. Was pondering doing it myself, but well, you're here doing it anyway...
>>
>>122018303
Really stupid unresolved bug where animals always try to path through locked doors they're next to.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=797
>>
File: BlamBlamMOtherFuckas1.png (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
BlamBlamMOtherFuckas1.png
135 KB, 1920x1080
>>122019480
Well, I was helping develop it but I figured I'd play around with it some and see how the graphics looked, share some shots for others to see and be like "wait, mustket ball? what?" cause it really is a lot of fun.

I've been sneaking around a forest retreat jabbing elves in the brains and blasting them.

>>122019930
Yeah, I think I'll do the Myne now once I clean up an error with the elf tile alignment (handy that I have both in the same .xcf though) which might be original actually.

Does the e with the dots have a flat bottom normally or did I do that?
>>
>>122018303
How are they grazing down there? I know moss and stuff like it can grow on dirt floors, but I see smoothed stone.
>>
File: Myne.png (7 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
Myne.png
7 KB, 288x288
>>122020296
I think you did that, but you might not be working from the same version of Myne as I use.
>>
>34 dwarves
>30 fps when no one is doing anything
>drops to 15 when people are doing shit

I have a shitty computer, I accept that, but what the hell. I did everything the wiki said. It helped a lot, but it still lags with a small number of dorfs
>>
>>122020352
They're constructed floors, but under the food stockpile has been flooded.

>>122019959
Thanks, they still aren't respecting their pasture zone though when the doors are set to pet passable. I have no meeting zones which was what I thought was the issue.
>>
File: antisocial.jpg (67 KB, 500x483) Image search: [Google]
antisocial.jpg
67 KB, 500x483
>>122018998
However, I sadly can't use the tileset. It's cosy and well made, but when I use it, it feels like it might be bad for my eyes. It may be that my monitor is too small(I'm using a laptop). In any case, I'll stick to the standard tileset for the time being.
>>
>>121980194
This is one of the bests generals I've been in. Always helpful and no shit flinging for asking "stupid questions".
>>
>>122021034
>Always helpful and no shit flinging for asking "stupid questions".
There is sometimes, over "wikiable" cases.
Even then, we still usually provide a link while chiding the person.
>>
>>122021132
I was just thinking how good the newbies have been about this lately, it used to be something of a nuisance.
>>
>Mistem Figureurn the Joy of Laboring, marksdwarf
>received his title after just 7 kills
>they all came in the same invasion, one we weren't prepared for, consisting of a mixed group of 10 goblins and elves
>every single kill he recorded was by bludgeoning his opponent to death with his no-quality-level bronze crossbow because we were out of bolts
absolute hero
>>
Something is wrong. I cannot TURN OFF the labours of my dwarves.

How can I solve this?
>>
File: 2015-11-06_00001.jpg (183 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-06_00001.jpg
183 KB, 1280x720
New dorf here wondering what this general thinks of adventure mode? Not really any other questions about the game gonna try and wiki stuff on my own before asking.
>>
File: come at me bro.png (28 KB, 541x364) Image search: [Google]
come at me bro.png
28 KB, 541x364
>>122022297

imo it gets kinda boring after a certain point
>>
>>122022297
It's about 40% of the way to being completely amazing. The combat is pretty fun and travelling around, visiting towns, and hunting for monsters is really neat. Unfortunately after playing for a few hours you'll get to recognise the patterns of how things happen a little too quickly and it feels repetitive (in particular, the way people talk), but it's still definitely worth messing around with if you haven't yet.
>>
>>122022297
I enjoy it, but I've a taste for long walks in the woods, and the simple living of surviving.
>>
>>122022636
>only adequate biter
Anon, get to it.
>>
>>122022754
>Unfortunately after playing for a few hours you'll get to recognise the patterns of how things happen a little too quickly and it feels repetitive (in particular, the way people talk), but it's still definitely worth messing around with if you haven't yet.
It is inevitable.
>>
>>122022809

I was waiting until all my stats were max before drinking some vampire blood and maxing it. You reckon my stats are max yet? :^)
>>
File: richter.png (250 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
richter.png
250 KB, 640x480
>>122022181
Bump for help. This is annoying.

I press the labour - say BEEKEEPING - and it immediately reverts to unmarked.

What the heck is wrong?
>>
So I want to have a professional level operator and lock him in a room with levers and a bed+table

The thing is, how do I keep him supplied with food?
>>
>>122023734
Dig a hole in the ceiling above the room, designate it as a dump zone and then dump food items into it, unforbidding them when they land.
>>
>>122023351
Are you using the vanilla interface, the DFHack plugin userface, or Dwarf Therapist?
>>
>>122020503
I meant that the curses elves had a flat bottom so I just swapped them to match the others since it's a minor change that helps preserve the aesthetic matching.

Almost got the big myne set shaded up.
>>
>>122020858
It doesn't zoom down right in-game?

I can try to toss out a smaller version with the shading, that should scale fine if I keep the proportions.
>>
So Would /dfg/ consider adventure mode a good way to get accustomed with a lot of the different graphics or icons that represent "entities" in the world?
>>
>>122024721
Well, I tried it on different zoom levels. Only on the highest zoom did the game look crisp, all others where fuzzy. When I used the highest zoom, my game screen was about as big as the standard windowed DF.

Of course, the (literal) eyesore might be the effect of having an improper colour scheme(I used the standard ditto)
>>
>>122024964
It's not too bad, but using loo[k] in fortress mode will work just as well, you're going to be painfully confused for a bit either way.
>>
So... What is some cool challenges for a not-shit-but-still-not-the-best player?

Also, I seem to start lagging after the 3rd-4th migrant wave. Anyone got any tips for improving FPS aside from the ones on the wiki?
>>
>>122027551
set [MIGRANT_WAVES:X] to [MIGRANT_WAVES:3] in the init file.
>>
>>122027960
Wouldn't that make it impossible for me to get attacked by gobbos and stuff?
>>
>>122025270
Well, I prefer an almost default color scheme myself, I'll shrink down a version when I finish the Myne shaded one and you can see if that works.

Did you use the totally clear CurseYouAnon version or one of the other?

>>122024964
I like to use adventure mode for testing certain things like creature graphics especially since you can control to some extent which ones you encounter.

That's a big bonus of the Victorian mod actually, tends to be easier to bump into the different races in rapid succession.
>>
>>122029435
The totally clear one.
>>
I'm planning to do the Xenophobic challenge.

What is the best way to genocide all the miggers?
>>
File: Propagada Mine.png (347 KB, 744x1052) Image search: [Google]
Propagada Mine.png
347 KB, 744x1052
>>122030048
PULL THE LEVER
>>
File: 1292322864235.jpg (29 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1292322864235.jpg
29 KB, 400x400
>>122030048
Natural causes, it's practically untraceable to you!
>>
>>122030048
Build a big fucking wall to keep them out instead.
If you really want to kill them, I'd use some sort of bridge contraption. Probably not atom smashing though. I'd probably have them all fall in a pit from a retracting bridge.
>>
File: CurseYouAnonSm.png (21 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
CurseYouAnonSm.png
21 KB, 256x384
>>122029807
This work?
>>
File: MyneShadedSquare.png (34 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
MyneShadedSquare.png
34 KB, 576x576
>>122033925
I worked out a neat trick while doing this which I should have been doing the whole time, but will make it easier to do others now.

When I tried to size it down some of the letters (but not all) ended up blurred, I think it was the ones I had centered a bit better (they're normally left-aligned) but whatevs.

So to fix those rather than just painting the whole thing by hand I copied the gradient from the forge side tiles (tile 8 I think?) and set that as my brush, then selected the white and just drew across that way.
>>
File: MyneShaded.png (29 KB, 576x864) Image search: [Google]
MyneShaded.png
29 KB, 576x864
>>122034174
Bleh, looks like the square mine had some transparent white over the space where the gap in the e should be, didn't notice that or account for it since it isn't in the nonsquare one.
>>
>>122034174
Did you smooth it too or something? You seem to have merged the mouth with the chin on the dorf face.
>>
File: curses_squareshade.png (15 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
curses_squareshade.png
15 KB, 512x512
>>122034724
Bah, I didn't notice that either, I thought I had cleaned that up, I'll do one fresh since i figured out how to do it much easier than I was doing. Case in point, this took like no time.

Just did the gradient as a full size layer (copy paste/stacked the rows/made sure it wasn't covering the walls/copy/set brush/select white/pow)
>>
File: MyneShaded.png (17 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
MyneShaded.png
17 KB, 576x576
>>122034724
Here ya go!

Just drew out the gradient once, stretched it to 576x36, copied the layer over the non-wall parts then selected the white and applied it as a brush.
>>
File: CurseYouAnonSm.png (21 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
CurseYouAnonSm.png
21 KB, 256x384
>>122033925
Glad you didn't respond yet, caught a couple of artifacts.
>>
I built my very own border guard post for my 7 dwarf fortress.

I will only accept dorfs if they are good enough for great Arztozkan Fortress.

The rest get either atom-smashed or thrown through the air with raising bridges.
>>
>>122038883
Bonus points if you built it on a road on the actual border of your civ's territory.
>>
Do you think this challenge would be do-able?

NUCLEAR FALLOUT:
*Friggin Armok farted on the surface of the world and everything went nuclear
*You must dig a bunker as deep as possible to avoid the radiation
*No trading or accepting new migrants, the have to stay outside (You can "delete" them with dfhack if possible)
*Only food you can plant is the one you bring and you can only plant underground seeds
*You MUST Be deep enough to be at least bellow the clay layer. You MUST do your fort on rock, or everyone dies thanks to the radiation
*Keep everyone's sanity intact and try to not die of hunger or thirst.
>>
>Attack dwarf caravan
>Get royally fucked

I guess this was a learning experience
>>
>>122041436
Doesn't sound very hard at all, assuming you get enough breeding pairs in your original 7.
>>
>>122041436
That's basically Cathelms, though I had the pop cap at 20 originally, it got up to 30 when I overwrote the d_init.txt by accident.
>>
File: bamboe.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
bamboe.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>no sieges ever
>game boring as fuck
>new fortress, embark right next to a tower
>after a year get invaded
>mybodyisready.jpg
>the zombies from the tower take two steps forward and then they leave
>mfw i can't have fun
>>
File: GotMeANecromancer.png (214 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GotMeANecromancer.png
214 KB, 1920x1080
>>122046973
That happens sometimes.

Not always though.
>>
>>122046973
>he only gets enjoyment from Dwarf Fortress via sieges and action

I don't think this game is for you, honestly.
>>
>>122048295
hey im gonna enjoy the game however i want and you can't do anything about it
im also a legends mode slut
>>
>>122048391
>im also a legends mode slut

You've redeemed yourself.
>>
File: ScaredyGobs.png (94 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ScaredyGobs.png
94 KB, 1920x1080
>>122048391
I don't know what we did without the open-legends script, honestly.

Also, I think my lever operated door trick broke these zombies.
>>
File: 1386184897064.jpg (24 KB, 286x227) Image search: [Google]
1386184897064.jpg
24 KB, 286x227
>>122034174
Wait, you drew the effect on all tiles manually?
>>
File: toady and scamps.png (353 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
toady and scamps.png
353 KB, 500x357
>I finished up the various non-dwarf item code. The "foreign" weapon stockpiles are a bit odd now (shrinking as you add resident races), and mercenaries will mostly ignore you if you try to fiddle with their equipment in ways that would make them drop their owned equipment, but hopefully it works well enough for a first release pass. Diplomats will hang out in taverns for a bit after their official duties, and bandits will also occasionally arrive to relax as well.

Four items off the remaining goals so far. There are ten left.
>>
File: minced wine.jpg (20 KB, 1336x42) Image search: [Google]
minced wine.jpg
20 KB, 1336x42
>find out my food sells higher than anything else
>check out why
>Dwarf food tech so advanced they can mince alcohol
Do they like jelly-fy the booze then mince them? How do they do it
>>
>>122055915
I like to think it's the dwarven way of mixing ingredients. they pile everything up in a pot, smack the bottom of the pot to launch its contents straight up, go nuts at them with an extremely sharp blade while they're flying, catch them in the bowl and then cook it as-is
but I usually turn off booze cooking
>>
File: NotSureWhichVariantIsBetter.png (4 KB, 513x768) Image search: [Google]
NotSureWhichVariantIsBetter.png
4 KB, 513x768
>>122054410
At first yeah, because I wasn't sure how I wanted it to look, so I just did shift+click to put lines across it, once I figured it out better I did the template/paintbrush trick, I'm making this shit up as I go dammit!

Also, I'm not sure which of the two on the bottom looks better for adventurers.
>>
>>122058040
I like the left better, if that helps.
>>
>tell the dwarf caravan i want to see all the meat variety you got
>they bring bring me all the meat in the world next year
absolute madman
>>
>>122059129
Based mountainhomes.
>>
>>122055915
Food can get pretty silly sometimes. There's an image on the wiki of a "tallow roast", which was just four minced lumps of tallow. Yum...
>>
>>122060063
I personally witnessed a four cheese roast during a recent fortress.
>>
File: budget food.png (15 KB, 1366x65) Image search: [Google]
budget food.png
15 KB, 1366x65
>>122060063
marginally less appetizing than this
>>
>>122058132
It does, I ended up favoring that one after playing around with them a bit.
>>
Does [b] [C] [x] ( construct up/down stairs ) give access to the floors above and below just like digging? Or do I have to channel first then construct them
>>
>>122062791
you need to channel first if you want it to provide access to the tile below, yeah.
>>
>>122062947
Don't lie to the poor kid.

>>122062791
Any down stairs component will provide access down on their own just fine.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stairs
>>
File: StillALittleDark.png (79 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
StillALittleDark.png
79 KB, 1920x1080
>>122063204
Yup, it's an important part of glacier embarks, without them you can't connect a staircase from the ice layer down to the stone layers.

>>122062063
Hmmm, they're too dark still, but they fit the victorian mod well since they do kinda feel "russian" to me.
>>
>>122063204
Shit, you're right, I just tried it. not sure where I read that but I'd been doing the channeling forever
weird as hell, it provides access through the floor but doesn't destroy it, so when you take the constructed staircases down it's there again. doesn't allow light down either
>>
>haha, 2years has past in my comfy dorf where all everyone does is eat and drink, picking fruits and cooking local wildlife
>I'm going to save and take a break
>DF has stopped working
;__;
>>
File: mr-men-mr-worry.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
mr-men-mr-worry.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>122064503
>I have two forts that are 5 or 6 years in that crash about midway from the last seasonal autosave
>>
File: ThatsBetter.png (116 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ThatsBetter.png
116 KB, 1920x1080
>>122063540
>>
File: CorpseExample.png (93 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CorpseExample.png
93 KB, 1920x1080
>>122067515
Rats, I think I just missed an insurrection in progress.

There were a bunch of goblin soldiers fleeing, then I get down and find some dead human, figured I'd demonstrate the graphics vs letter thing side by side.
>>
File: CursesDapper.png (11 KB, 288x240) Image search: [Google]
CursesDapper.png
11 KB, 288x240
DapperGraphicsBampu
>>
File: 1443430842128.jpg (89 KB, 952x433) Image search: [Google]
1443430842128.jpg
89 KB, 952x433
>artifacts
>>
File: PchewAwayYouGo.png (178 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
PchewAwayYouGo.png
178 KB, 1920x1080
>>122072176
I'm not good at those kinds of artifacts. T.T
>>
File: lelf.jpg (7 KB, 182x229) Image search: [Google]
lelf.jpg
7 KB, 182x229
>>122067515
>food is lying directly on the floor
>dorves are walking around in it with their outdoor shoes on
quality gaming experience
>>
File: FancyASpotOfTea.png (94 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
FancyASpotOfTea.png
94 KB, 1920x1080
>>122072824
Yeah, they're kinda retarded in world-gen forts but what can ya do?
>>
>>122075205
Have you noticed that it's only the goblin inhabitants that stick to the watch towers? Any goblified prisoners or descendants from goblified prisoners stick either to their rooms or the big underground chambers.

In any case, I've always suspected that the gobbos stick to the towers to avoid cave adaption.
>>
File: KaThunk.png (129 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
KaThunk.png
129 KB, 1920x1080
>>122075905
Definitely an interesting theory, but they linger underground in fortresses for years just fine when they end up moving to them.
>>
File: 1367253246114.png (26 KB, 632x459) Image search: [Google]
1367253246114.png
26 KB, 632x459
>>
File: GoGoGadgetHyperspeedAdventurer.png (61 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GoGoGadgetHyperspeedAdventurer.png
61 KB, 1920x1080
>>122079982
I'm disappointed that the fort I'm playing around with right now just causes vomiting/fevers because the eagles falling asleep in mid-air 120 z above the ground is endlessly hilarious.
>>
File: 1259714309484.gif (119 KB, 3103x1136) Image search: [Google]
1259714309484.gif
119 KB, 3103x1136
What's the name of the type of diagram that looks a little like this but isn't a flowchart, I know it's not a Venn diagram.

I'm wondering if I can use it to establish an overriding design for the fortress, put "Outside" in the big circle in the middle, link it to "Archers" (Who then link to "Ammo Stockpile", which links to "Smiths" and so on), "Meat Shield" and "Front Door".

It's all well and good doodling squares on a 144x144 picture, but it'd help clarify my plans if I could label and plan stuff more simply, I'm hoping to find a nice online generator for them once I know what the fuckers are called.
>>
> playing Masterwork.
> playing Urist McHumans
> Want to make a bighuge fort right away.
> Slack off on the military.
> Building is slow because >masterwork.
> Food and Drink struggles.
> Fort gets wiped by a werewolf.

Had a good place going too. I think I'm a little too slow building everything up and need to micromanage more because that really bites to see a promising start get assblasted so easily.
>>
File: RemeberToDrinkWhenAdvforting.png (141 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
RemeberToDrinkWhenAdvforting.png
141 KB, 1920x1080
Remember: friends don't let friends work sober!

Always make sure you keep some booze handy when you're using advfort.

Taking 110 ticks to smelt some ore when you're getting sober is terrible when you could chug some mead and get it done in 45 ticks or less!

>>122082370
>werewolf
>really bites
>what you did there has been seen
>>
File: poisonpepe.png (26 KB, 567x546) Image search: [Google]
poisonpepe.png
26 KB, 567x546
>>122082562

>tfw I don't know what I did.

He really was tearing up a new one for me. Like one hitting niggas and instantly transformed three of my men into more werewolves. It was scary senpai.
>>
If I give a dwarf a room with two chairs at a table, is he going to eat off his lap and bitch about a lack of tables?
>>
>save game
>crash

>play an older fort, time for break, save game
>crash

>make a new world
>crash

Save me
>>
File: RemeberToDrinkWhenAdvforting1.png (105 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
RemeberToDrinkWhenAdvforting1.png
105 KB, 1920x1080
>>122082854
Werewolves bite, it bites being attacked by one, etc.

>>122083672
If a chair is set as an office and a table as a dining room they should use that pair over others.
>>
>>122084636

I totally forgot what I typed and didn't realize what you were referring too, I'm retarded.
>>
File: ThatAintNoKindaDwarfIveEverSeen.png (120 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ThatAintNoKindaDwarfIveEverSeen.png
120 KB, 1920x1080
>>122084896
You're retarded, I somehow managed to screw up something when I was writing a graphics.txt and had a chief medical dwarf show up as a human hammerman.
>>
>>122083853
I'll save you
>anon has stopped working
>>
File: ThatAintNoKindaDwarfIveEverSeen1.png (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ThatAintNoKindaDwarfIveEverSeen1.png
135 KB, 1920x1080
>>122085142
Wait! It actually is a human!

What the shit?

I think I've met her before in another town cause she knew me as a legend, did the dumbstruck thing and all that.
>>
File: HumanChiefMedicalDwarf.png (123 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
HumanChiefMedicalDwarf.png
123 KB, 1920x1080
>>122085553
So Chief Medical Dwarf is a title describing a position, even if it were a human or goblin or whatever.
>>
File: 1325522450480.png (45 KB, 1300x820) Image search: [Google]
1325522450480.png
45 KB, 1300x820
>>
File: VariousPillarsAndWallsEngraved.png (126 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
VariousPillarsAndWallsEngraved.png
126 KB, 1920x1080
>>122088826
That's why I felt so bad with Atir Cobaltthrows, saves the fort from flesh rotting monster goop, stumbles around rotting to death, I find him and try to scramble together a hospital and designate his room to be engraved and whatnot.

Then while I'm assing his furniture I notice another dorf listed on some of the stuff and realize it is his wife, and she's the one engraving his room while he rots to death.

Carved a shaft to the surface and put their gold sarcophagi under it in the center of a big tomb/meeting hall/statue garden so he wouldn't have to be alone in the dark ever again.
>>
File: WellThatIsntSafeApparently.png (171 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WellThatIsntSafeApparently.png
171 KB, 1920x1080
Oh shit, ok, relying on impassable ramps is NOT sufficent anymore apparently.

No clue why but after sitting there for nearly a year when it changed to autumn most of the zombies rushed into the cages but those two by the depot? Yeah, that's a fucking scare, I barely got a dorf to the backup bridge lever in time.

I put that there in case of fliers pathing through or something but climbers?

I can't get through it with an adventurer unless I use launch, so I have no clue how those two did that.
>>
File: WellThatIsntSafeApparently1.png (148 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WellThatIsntSafeApparently1.png
148 KB, 1920x1080
>>122090332
Holy fuck man, they literally sat there for a year with that available to climb through and didn't do anything.

This is the lower level, so yeah, figure out how they did that.
>>
>>122077171
I assume you're talking about dorf fortresses here? If they aim to become dorfs, it makes sense that they give up any ambitions they might have above-ground(goblins need to travel above ground when they mobilise against dorfs, while dorfs never mobilise at all, but merely defend themselves, which they can do just as fine below ground).
>>
File: SoManyNewPets.png (228 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SoManyNewPets.png
228 KB, 1920x1080
>>122091138
Yeah, I mean the immigrant ones you find in world-gen forts.
>>
So in dwarf fortress canon do dwarves have the ability to see in total darkness? I know the toad has mentioned maybe including light in a non-micromanagement intensive way.
>>
>>122097141
Yes, absolutely. They have some of the better darksight in the game.
Becoming over-reliant on this is how they get 'cave adapted.'
>>
>>122085987
That really is pretty strange. In my current game that I've custom modded, I made it so that the humans I'm playing as have all the positions dwarves have. One of those being chief medical dwarf, but I changed it to chief medical officer instead. If that's a problem, perhaps what I suggested will help.
>>
>>122098558
Eh, it is rare enough to be a curious and amusing thing rather than a problem I guess.
>>
File: The Circle of Life.png (2 KB, 1082x139) Image search: [Google]
The Circle of Life.png
2 KB, 1082x139
Fellow Aesthetes; do you have any advice on how to make smoothed sections of wall that are two tiles wide (double-width walls) less visually repulsive?

I'm not going to be able to eliminate them completely from my design, and I'm reluctant to start carving arbitrary holes in them for statues since I have certain shapes I'd like to preserve, are there any other tricks for dealing with them?
>>
p10 rescue bump
>>
>>122099030
Make it triple and leave the middle empty.
>>
File: 1444901841466.jpg (97 KB, 960x742) Image search: [Google]
1444901841466.jpg
97 KB, 960x742
timbukbump
>>
File: dorf life.png (15 KB, 870x360) Image search: [Google]
dorf life.png
15 KB, 870x360
>>
File: 1446855048894.jpg (119 KB, 500x533) Image search: [Google]
1446855048894.jpg
119 KB, 500x533
Reposting in the hope JustDorfThings anon will bring us more OC
>>
File: 1446787312401.jpg (162 KB, 497x756) Image search: [Google]
1446787312401.jpg
162 KB, 497x756
>>
>>122108239
> you're not ugly... society is

I'll be damned if that's not the gayest shit I've ever read.
>>
File: 1446787006484.jpg (125 KB, 501x657) Image search: [Google]
1446787006484.jpg
125 KB, 501x657
>>
File: horrifying screams.png (266 KB, 501x612) Image search: [Google]
horrifying screams.png
266 KB, 501x612
>>122108372
I know right

No true dwarf would turn their back on society like that
>>
>>122108372
>let me smell ur skin urist
>stop domas das gay
>do i smell helm plump
>>
File: Message from Armok.png (53 KB, 1600x1010) Image search: [Google]
Message from Armok.png
53 KB, 1600x1010
>>122103925
Yes, I had actually considered the most bleedin' obvious step already, but dismissed it as being too easy, anything else?
>>
File: gheoaldtveess.png (32 KB, 533x1069) Image search: [Google]
gheoaldtveess.png
32 KB, 533x1069
>>122109652
>lmao!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 234

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.