[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the hell did people say this garbage was good? Literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: 2416302-ai_360+rgb+front.jpg (62 KB, 923x960) Image search: [Google]
2416302-ai_360+rgb+front.jpg
62 KB, 923x960
Why the hell did people say this garbage was good?

Literally the whole game is walking aimlessly around a completely dark room for a doodad to open the door, which leads to another doodad to open another door, which leads to yet another doodad that opens yet another door. The level design is fucking horrible, honestly the worst I've seen in years.

The game is so on-rails it's pitiful. At one point early on there's a guy with a shotgun, and apparently you're not supposed to stray from the linear scripted path or else the whole game just appears broken. You're supposed to dip in a side tunnel, but you can just stand there in front of him and he shoots endlessly at you with no reaction, no words, and no need to reload. And despite being on hard difficulty, you can just sit there taking 10+ shotgun blasts from him. At another point in the game you can't even climb over a fucking foot tall railing, and you have to instead follow the scripted path and move some robot to open a metal tube that allows you to go through the tube over the foot tall railing. At another point I'm holding a flare when the game tells me how to set it down and I test it out, only to discover that apparently there's no fucking way to pick it up and I'm just staring at it on the ground.

Does this shit ever get good? I played it for a few hours last night and that's literally all there is to it. It's just so goddamn boring walking around a giant fucking pitch black room looking for the tiny power panel or doodad I need to open the door just to have to rinse and repeat for every fucking room after that.

Why are walking sims hated on /v/ when this literal door opening engineer sim is praised as GotY?
>>
>>337355064
>Does this shit ever get good?
Sadly, no. It gets somewhat interesting in chapters 5 through 7, then it gets absolutely boring for the rest of the playthrough.

I'm not even memeing when I say that Evil Within was a much better horror game released in the same year.
>>
>>337355526
The Evil Within dethroned RE4 and SH2 as my favorite survival horror game of all time so I would expect TEW to be better than this trash.

Fortunately Alien Isolation sold like shit and isn't getting a sequel, while TEW sold well and is, or TGW may be making a new IP. Either way I'm getting it day one.
>>
>>337355064
It hit some of the right notes for fans of the original film. The setting and atmosphere are perfect, the ayy lmao is gorgeous, it's actually powerful and you don't just kill it in droves, the mad androids are scary...

But that's it. Gameplay-wise it's horribly by-the-numbers AAA and is super-repetitive and super-padded. Which sucks because the game had a ton of potential, it could have been like Amnesia but with some varied gameplay. I was really pulled in because Alien is my all-time favorite movie but after about half-way through, I just got bored and stopped playing. Is it worth continuing to play the game after you kill the ayy?
>>
File: 453545345677.png (2 MB, 1243x803) Image search: [Google]
453545345677.png
2 MB, 1243x803
I love the first two flicks, but the hours of gameplay footage I have seen don't do much for me.

You know which game was surprisingly scary was Alien Resurrection for PS1.
>>
>>337356403
>setting and atmosphere
You mean about a hundred generic rooms all separated by doors that you need to scour for some fucking item or control panel to open? Yeah, real great.

I haven't even encountered the fucking alien yet but I can almost guarantee that it's the exact same door opening nonsense except now made even more fucking tedious because the giant alien chasing you.

And funny thing is all the reviews and impressions actually said the first half is good while the second half is awful.
>>
>>337355064
No it doesn't
>Walk 30 feet
>hear AYY LMAO
>Hide in closet
>Wait for AYY to despawn
>Walk 30 more feet
>>
Name a better horror game in the past 3 years
>>
>>337356828
Evil Within.
>>
>>337355064
Why did you waste your time typing this? You could've done something more useful, like masturbating or suicide.
>>
>>337356863
they seem like equals, desu
>>
>>337356774
This is a precise descrition of the whole game.
The Alien is scary for about two chapters, afterwards it becomes a prop that periodically drops from the ceiling, forcing you to roll your eyes and wait yet another 5 minutes for him to fuck off.
>>
>>337356774
It opens closets often, at least it did for me
>>
>>337355064
>walking around aimless in the dark the whole game-

Stopped reading right there. You didn't play the game. Shit thread. Kys.
>>
>>337357180
It does that on purpose if you hide a lot. If you've been hiding in closets a lot, it's your own fault.
>>
Kill yourself retard.
>>
>>337357231
I barely hid in closets and it still checked them often. What difficulty did you play the game?

Isolation is known for having really bad AI in normal/easy
>>
>>337357310
Whatever is highest. The AI changes behaviour depending on what you do a lot.
>>
>>337356863
but the evil within was shit, diluted resident evil 4, shitty gun, boring enemies, cliche predictable story, 0 atmosphere, might as well play uncharted and call it an horror game
>>
>>337356703
It's been over a year since I played the game, but IIRC the abandoned spacestation, the sound design, the industrial grungey look of everything, little things like the ads, the dated pre-GUI computers, bits of Japanese sprinkled places... the devs obviously did their research and it showed. SOMEONE on the team apparently cared about nailing the look of this game and succeeded. I can give it that much.

I don't defend the gameplay, the game just sucks and I never finished it. But you asked, and I told you that they did some things right.
>>
File: 1442183557105.jpg (441 KB, 900x1567) Image search: [Google]
1442183557105.jpg
441 KB, 900x1567
Has this game become popular enough now that it can be picked apart by /v/?
>>
>>337355064
got the game on PS3, still haven't managed to get bored after 1 hour

>>337356693
yeah man,as far as I can remember that was the first game to use dual analogue stocks forme movement and camera, a modern day thing for fps games now.
though in alien resseresction it was R3 to strafe and 180
game was surprisingly scary.
it even warned you at the beginning that it needs to be played in the dark and to adjust brightness to be appreciated
>>
>>337357493
That's like, your opinion.
>>
AHAHAHAHAHHA Am I really hearing this? Go to bed Ryan, just admit the game is too hard for you. If you think TEW is better than Isolation, you are LITERALLY retarded. Isolation is a legit 10/10 debate me faggot
>>
>>337357310
Lean back and hold breath in the closed
>>
>>337356863
but that's just a shooter, Isolation is a horror game
>>
>>337356942
Why did you waste your time typing this? You could've done something more useful, like masturbating or suicide.
>>
It's one of the games of the generation, but if you have the attention span of a neo-/v/ redditposter then I can certainly see it being lost on you.

Never has a licensed game used the licence so holistically as this one does. It's a loved letter to the first film, and almost as linear. If you can't accept that linearity, you won't enjoy it. If you don't play it at night in the dark with a good pair of headphones, you won't enjoy it.

If you follow its rules, it's the best Alien experience since the first two movies, if a little overlong.
>>
>>337355064
>Literally the whole game is walking aimlessly around a completely dark room for a doodad to open the door,
It's easy to trivialize things, but almost all games are about doing one task then moving on to another.
>The level design is fucking horrible
What about them are horrible? The aesthetic or gameplay design? Be specific.
>The game is so on-rails it's pitiful
Explain why on-rails is bad. Should all games be open-world?
>you can just stand there in front of him and he shoots endlessly at you... And despite being on hard difficulty, you can just sit there taking 10+ shotgun blasts from him.
Confirmed for not actually playing the game. You die in 2-3 shots from any gun in that game on hard.
>you can't even climb over a fucking foot tall railing
Whoa, games aren't realistic, fuck me. Did you know some games don't even use indicators to block off areas? Maybe all games should just use invisible walls.
> At another point I'm holding a flare when the game tells me how to set it down and I test it out, only to discover that apparently there's no fucking way to pick it up
So you learned, after a literal tutorial, that you can drop flares, and got mad after you LEARNED that you can't pick them back up? Get over it mate, the game isn't about holding flares, and you bitching about such a small thing shows you didn't have any idea what you were getting into in the first place.

I think you're actually retarded, female, or just shitposting, maybe all three.
>>
>>337355064

Spot on OP. Game is garbage. Wasted like $10 on it and never finished it.
>>
>>337358569
>Spot on
Imagine if IGN wrote a review like OP. They'd be mocked for weeks.
>>
>>337358192
>Confirmed for not actually playing the game. You die in 2-3 shots from any gun in that game on hard.
Play the game on hard, go up to the first human guy with a shotgun and he hits you 10+ times before you die.
>>
>>337357493
Hoenstly the only people who hate The Evil Within are casuals who wanted a generic run and gun third person action game. They didn't take the time to learn the game and understand its intricacies.

I really enjoyed it. (black bars are disabled on both PC and console btw)

>great artstyle and enemy design/variety
>levels are really varied and unique, game constantly changes it up and throws new stuff at you
>tons of ways to approach every situation. You can run past enemies, stealth, use environmental hazards, use a variety of weapons, etc.
>Crossbow and matches add a ton of depth to the gameplay
>Weapons actually feel differentiated and unique rather than simply having different damage values.
>pretty scary and tense
>great challenge. I highly recommend playing through on nightmare or akumu to fully enjoy it

It's a love it or hate it game. Many people just don't put enough time into it to understand its intricacies and enjoy it, they just get frustrated and give up. It has a few old school and somewhat archaic design decisions, but overall, it's a fantastic game. I enjoyed more than any Resident Evil, Dead Space, or Silent Hill game.

Like I said, don't just give up, and definitely try it on nightmare or akumu. Your gameplay style completely changes on higher difficulties and you realize you were playing it wrong all along.
>>
Did no one else find the bit where you come across the space jockey really good?
>>
>>337358130
This guy got it spot on. If you aren't an Alien fan and don't treat it like a horror game and only play at night the game ain't gonna be fun.
>>337356403
Right after you kill it the game sucks for a bit, but if you pull through it'll get better.
>>
>>337357664
>you can see the skull in his dome

spooky
>>
>>337357310
Happened to me with the new nightmare difficulty. I couldn't hide whatsoever without being caught. I just hid behind stuff instead, though
>>
>>337361051
it's been over a year since I last played. Should I just reload save and keep playing or restart? The first half the game really pulled me in, but man IDK if I can deal with that insane padding again.

I remember having to find a medkit for a girl that's been shot or something. So I trek through like 5 hours of the same gameplay of hide and seek with the ayy and long forgot why I was doing it to begin with. When I eventually made my way through the long corridor, I come back and everyone's like "YEA YOU GOT THE MEDKIT!" And I'm just like, jesus christ how have you not died by now?

But IDK, maybe since it's been a while it'll be fresh again. I remember that it was super satisifying once you got the flame thrower, you could just make the xeno fuck off whenever you wanted and it really changed the power dynamic between the two of you.
>>
Guys, you can't judge a game if you haven't beat it. That's like reading the first chapter of a book and saying the whole thing sucks.

You didn't get into the game, it just wasn't your thing. Personally Alien: Isolation was the best horror game to come out in years, the Alien terrified the hell out of me
>>
I played it for a few hours. It was alright but I was mostly just frustrated by the movements of the main character. She moves like a 90 year old with two bad hips. Can't jump over shit, can only duck under things that you're allowed to duck under, running feels like it's in slow motion. I'm fine with her just being an average person and not some super agile parkour free runner, but let me fucking climb over some toppled debris at least instead of making it some half assed puzzle.

I love the movies, the game captures the tense atmosphere well, the ship looks cool and is in line with the aesthetic of the movies. I'd just like it a lot more if the movements weren't so restrictive.
>>
>>337361517
Yeah, it's worth it.
The part with the androids is going to suck, but after that you'll get sucked right back in. I see why you dropped it, it's one of the worst sections of the game.

You don't gotta restart, the story isn't what's memorable, it was the chase of cat and mouse. Just jump back in, get through the shitty parts and remember to play it at night.
>>
>>337355064
>doodad
>>
>>337363071
kk anon

How's the DLC?
>>
File: 1356335751818.jpg (64 KB, 900x654) Image search: [Google]
1356335751818.jpg
64 KB, 900x654
I thought it was light years better than Colonial Marines. Being a huge fan of the movies I really enjoyed the aesthetic and feel the game gave me. Playing through it the first time really spooked me and I thought it was a really nice gesture to people who've watched the movies.

The game is about survival horror so I'm not sure what you wanted to happen gameplay wise except try to open doors or search the environment to proceed.

I thought the level design was pretty great. I'd like it if you told us why you thought it wasn't

uhh I've played this game three times and you always die in 2-3 shots

Ok the game TAUGHT you how to use a flare and never told you you could pick it up, and you got upset over that?
>>
>>337358796
I liked The Evil Within, but the everything that happened was in your head thing ruined it for me.
>>
>>337363816
If you liked the main game you'll like the DLC, although if you didn't get it with your game I wouldn't buy it unless you're bored and have money to blow.

You pick a character from the original movie (each has their own separate loadout and objective) and do the same thing from the main game but in the original movies setting with only you and the classic alien. No androids, no hostile humans.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.