[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Online debate: Is cheating in online games inherently bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10
What do you think? In olden times, when the crossbow first came out, some people didn't like using it because they thought it was cheating and you should only kill with skill. Others however, didn't give a shit as long as they won.

Personally, I don't use cheats, but recently I've come around to the idea and I can see why people do. If the objective of the game is winning, then what's wrong with using cheat software? All you're doing is giving yourself a tactical advantage. You're actually outsmarting your opponents in a way

Is all fair in love and war? Or should you only kill with skill? Is there really a place for honor in online games where thousands of dollars are at stake?
>>
>>335046735
we could have had a thread about cheap tactics or glitches but then you have to make it about hacking which is objectively for shitters
>>
>>335046735
>In olden times, when the crossbow first came out, some people didn't like using it because they thought it was cheating and you should only kill with skill. Others however, didn't give a shit as long as they won.

yes, but they didn't bring them to tournaments and archery competitions, they used them in battles where their lives and country hung in the balance

The same applies to games: people play games to compete and have fun. Someone showing up and cheating to win easily isn't fun and isn't competitive. It's like showing up to play soccer and just grabbing the ball and throwing it into the goal, and then going "wow look at all these fags trying to use their feet, hands work so much easier".
>>
>>335046735

This is why military drones and aircraft have aim assist.

Cheating has no place in a game/"Sport"/tournament setting.
>>
>>335046735
Crossbows didn't break any of the physical rules of the world. They fun roomed almost the same as bows, only they hit harder and barely needed training.

They didn't give their users unnatural speed, or the ability to see where the enemy army was maneuvering. I don't think you can compare a military advance to cheating in a game.
>>
why can't I bring a gun to a boxing match
>>
>>335046735
Well anon, when money is on the line people will cheat
>>
You know that guy at the bottom of the scoreboard with one kill and 20 deaths? That's who most cheaters are, and in a way I understand why they do it. I wouldn't have fun either if I was that bad but I'd play something else instead of ruining the game for other people.
>>
>>335046735
There is no fucking point in cheating though. Ok competive multiplayer games are a waste of fucking time in general but now you completely remove the sole aspect of them which is skill. You could be doing anything else but instead you chose to cheat in an online game.
>>
>>335047508
*one of the main aspects of them which is skill and defeating your opponent through said skill

Sorry I had a hematoma
>>
>>335046735

What? Are you a retard?

Cheating in any competitive game is bad, full stop. If you stoop to unfair advantages and manipulation that come from outside the rules, you are a piece of shit who is automatically a worse player than everyone who plays without such an advantage.
>>
>I want to be constrained by the limit imposed on myself by society and moral!

What a band of untermenschen.
>>
>>335046735
>is cheating bad
>debate
>>
cheating isn't outsmarting anyone since literally anyone can do it.

i think it just ruins the game for everyone including the cheater. also not to mention leaderboards are complete bullshit for nearly every game because of these idiots.
>>
>>335046735
>breaking the rules means outsmarting your opponents
>changing the reality of the world through technological progress is the same as breaking the rules of a competition

are you mentally challenged?
>>
>>335047761
>including the cheater

This. I don't get why'd you cheat to begin with. How is it satisfying in any way?
>>
>>335046735
You can cheat at chess by moving pieces however you like and not giving pieces up when theyre killed but all that makes you is a faggot nobody will want to play with
>>
also from my experience there are 2 types of cheaters :

1) the highly skilled player who has been using a form of cheating/glitching for awhile, in CS they'd like have wall hacks on but not make it obvious, for example

2) some joe decides he just wants to try cheating out and doesn't give a fuck about the game or his account.

i think #1 has the most offenders but #2 is the most obvious
>>
>>335047723
Ya see I could understand where your coming from if you are talking about something relating to real life but it's a freaking video game. You aren't progressing in anything but imaginary ranks that will not give you any type of advantage in real life.
>>
File: 1429536461958.jpg (60 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1429536461958.jpg
60 KB, 720x720
>>335046735
You're genuinely retarded.

Go away.
>>
>>335047991
>cheater
>highly skilled
Thats not how it works anon
>>
I turn on cheats in TF2 when I see a memester start spamming memes just to push him to his breaking point and make him drop his meme facade.
>>
>>335048050

yea it does for some games, they'd have wall hacks but still have good instincts/aim/etc. they are the hardest to catch because they can play decently without the hacks
>>
File: 1446335759995.jpg (179 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1446335759995.jpg
179 KB, 1280x800
>>335047723
>>
>>335048005
Same difference.

Small or big, you are basing your actions and your life on what people expect you to be. You are good instead of being great. You are virtuous instead of being successful.

You are an untermensch. Fear not, because there is many people who are like you. Fear, because there is many people who are like you.
>>
Comparing a crossbow to being able to snipe somebody from 10 miles without trying is retarded.
>>
>>335046939
Thread
>>
>>335047917
Cheaters just do it for attention. They think they are good because they are winning even though they have no skill. They don't want to take effort to achieve. Cheaters are growing because of the retarded, entitled children of today.
>>
>>335047292
you can but admin wiill ban you
>>
>>335046735
I can respect cheaters that get away with it. Total war nuggas. Its meta as fuck. It does however ruin the game and render it null as a form of competition, which is a bummer because competition is important.
>>
>>335048271
I don't play online games silly. I'm commenting from a third party point of view. Online Multiplayer games are a complete waste of time and if you cheat in them, not only are you wasting your time on an online game, you are removing the core aspect as to why someone would play said online game which is skill and overcoming said opponents through skill.
>>
>>335046735
>Online debate: Is cheating in online games inherently bad?

This has to be the best bait of 2016 so far, nice work!

Next up: can girls get pregnant from kissing?
>>
>>335047917

i think it's like a one time thing for them, i can't see anyone playing hours and hours of the game when all they do is warp headshot everything.

there's some kind of fallacy out there that when you see someone behave a certain way you instantly assume that is how they behave all the time, which is false.
>>
File: 1458195368957.png (219 KB, 442x368) Image search: [Google]
1458195368957.png
219 KB, 442x368
>>335046735
i just love owning nerds in online games
>>
>>335046735
Anyone can Cheat it doesn't make you smarter than everyone else.
>>
>>335046735
Wait are you comparing real life battles of life and death to a game?
>>
>"online debate"
>implying this is even debatable
>>
File: oh well.jpg (15 KB, 791x168) Image search: [Google]
oh well.jpg
15 KB, 791x168
>>335047456
>You know that guy at the bottom of the scoreboard with one kill and 20 deaths? That's who most cheaters are,

In my experience, it's the guys with 20 kills and one death.

You know, the guys who empty an entire glock magazine into your head from behind doors because they don't know the bullets won't penetrate, so they reload and jump through the doors while headshotting you with a spastic 360 spin.

>steam profile: private
>>
>>335048271
Nietzche was a bitter faggot who couldn't get over the fact his father died.

Stop applying his tripe to things that are supposed to be enjoyable leisure activities, you're the equivalent of that kid that goes around the beach kicking down other people's sand castles.
>>
>>335046735
Cheating in games isn't inherently bad, but you are a cunt if you do it anyway. Just like in board games, nobody likes the cheater. What is the pleasure in winning if you won because you cheated?
>>
File: absolutely disgusting.png (277 KB, 824x965) Image search: [Google]
absolutely disgusting.png
277 KB, 824x965
>>335046735
You disgust me.
>>
>>335046735
The crossbow in this scenario sounds like some OP/premium unbalanced weapon that's considered easy mode, and some people will look down on you for using it in certain situations.
>>
>>335048271
Are you seriously trying to apply Nietzsche's philosophy to a fucking video game?
>>
File: 1207140057433.jpg (3 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1207140057433.jpg
3 KB, 126x126
The definition of a game is, roughly speaking, an environment constrained by a set of rules where a number of agents work towards goals.

Doing something to breach those defined rules means you're not really playing the game any more, just throwing of those that are.
>>
>>335048915
>statistically hazardous

it's not synonyms of absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>335046735
Are you a cheater and trying to justify cheatig or something?
Cheating is bad, there's nothing to debate.
>>
File: download.jpg (15 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
15 KB, 251x201
Many competitive gamers and sportsmen claim to follow the advice outlined in sun tzus art of war, but if they had actually read the book they would realise that sun tzu actually endorses cheating and says you should do whatever you can to gain an unfair advantage over your opponent
>>
heres a question: what if it was virtual reality and you could feel every bullet using a technology vest? would you still be opposed to cheating?
>>
>>335049231
This. When people in here say you're "ruining the game," it isn't necessarily the end of the world, but it's completely true. Normally, playing a game is making an agreement to limit yourself to the rules.

It's just that, since you're decently young and play video games, where the rules are automated, you don't actually recognize them as rules. You're incorrect, and that's why you think of framing it as "tactical advantage" instead of just cheating.
>>
Cheating should be punished, obviously.

The fact that cheaters get treated like criminals sometimes is dumb, like with the VAC system. Just cause you did dumb shit when you teenager doesn't you should be marked for life.
>>
>>335048243
This
Nietzsche was a fedora tipping faggot
He was probably "abstinent by choice"
>>
>>335046735
You're fucking retarded OP. The whole point of competition is winning within the rules of the competition itself, you fucking imbecile. Otherwise, it loses all significance.
>>
>>335048806
What a corny way to start a story
>>
>>335046735
I don't mind cheaters... I've bought hacks.

Cheaters can't win at live tournaments/championships
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.