[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mirror's Edge Thrad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 16
File: mirror's-edge.jpg (289 KB, 1591x842) Image search: [Google]
mirror's-edge.jpg
289 KB, 1591x842
Are you looking forward to the modern AAA game take on Mirror's Edge?
>>
File: WFs6aB8.png (222 KB, 527x526) Image search: [Google]
WFs6aB8.png
222 KB, 527x526
> xp gain
> grind quests
> dem animations
> a bunch of terrible cutscenes (cutscees are fine, but not when the writing is shit)

I want to but it looks so fucking bad
>>
>>334579315
The gameplay looks like it'll be fun, but they've completely fucked the world, story and characters from what I've seen. People are trying to say it's a reboot, but it doesn't feel like that to me.
It also shouldn't be about Faith imo, she was just one tiny part within a massive thing, and her story was mostly personal rather than being about taking down the big bad.
>>
>>334579723
>but they've completely fucked the world, story and characters from what I've seen

The fuck are you smoking, nigga? Are you implying that the original was good in any of those things? The story in the original game was complete trash and by far the worst aspect of the game. Besides, the original had a very similar hint system (red items showed the path) and you could disable it.

As long as the gameplay isn't compromised but improved (and it seems improved to me), and they keep the time trials, I'll be fine with it.
>>
The first mirror's edge was modern AAA too.

Did any of you retards bashing this game actually play the original?
>>
>open world
>tech tree
>story focus
No soul.
>>
>>334579916
>The story in the original game was complete trash and by far the worst aspect of the game.
Forced combat was worse but the story sucked too.
>>
>>334580043
Yes, it was one of my top 5 of the gen.
>>
>>334580084
There was no forced combat, mongo.
>>
>>334580084
What was the problem with forced combat exactly? You could finish the entire game using counters and melees (there was also a trophy for doing so). Git gud.
>>
>>334580152
Wait, I now remember the bodyguard. My bad. You're completely right.
>>
>>334579315
Not gonna lie: with every new video that is released, I'm loosing more hope. The city does not look nearly as good as it used to in the original - partially I guess it's just unavoidable concession and lack of detail that comes with the transformation from linear to open world settings, but they also fucked up the art direction pretty damn hard.
The story and characters actually genuinely look a lot worse then they had in the original too, which considering how weak the story was in the first game is a fucking achievement. The new elements - including character progression and collectables don't seem to be a very good idea either, and most importantly, the parkour seems to be a lot more sticky and lack the flow. Finally, the obtrusive and ugly red guide is just a mind boggling stupid decision. The first-level introduced combat looked horrifically bad too.

I never had that high hopes for ME2, but I hoped it would be worth playing just for the parkour and the city alone. Watching just about every material that was released so far, I can't say I have any hope those will be worth it anymore.
>>
>>334579315
while i dont think it looks good. that picture is even telling you it a tutorial and you can turn most if not all those options off. but no, continue to perpetuate its worse
>>
>>334580162
Melee combat wasn't fun and it was always just easier to mow the enemies down with a machine gun.
>>
>>334580090
So why are you bashing this because it has tutorial and casual pandering? The original had it as well and it was optional. In fact it had a big unskippable tutorial chapter at the beginning. I see nothing wrong in teaching the game's mechanic through tutorial at the beginning, if you're already gud you should get through it quickly enough. Unless they have mandatory tutorial and gameplay interrupting handholding (i.e. like in Zelda) this shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately nowdays most gaymers are casuals and in-game tutorials are pretty much needed if you don't want people asking how to metroid crawl and dropping the game.
>>
>>334579916
The original's story was simple but strong, it had the whole surveillance state thing going on, and the pacified peoples who had given up freedom for comfort etc. and the story was personal with ties to a larger political plot that was out of the main character's control.
In this one they're trying to make everything more dramatic while fucking the original's plot. Pirandello Kruger being bad guys was a kind of reveal in the original, now Pirandello is the main bad guy in this one much more blatantly and he has some weird 'muh family' shit going on, which doesn't match well with the cyberpunk themes from the first one where everything was more of a business decision. They killed Pope because if he'd won he'd have gotten rid of the surveillance state they were being paid to uphold.
And I'm not talking about the red thing, in fact while I did like the consistent styling of the city in the original with the mostly plain white with the occasional splash of colour which went well with the themes, I'm fine with the visual design of the world I'm more talking about the themes, elements like the factions.
>>
>>334580381
I'm bashing it because it's a shiity story driven open world with a skill tree. That's three steps back and literally none forward.
>>
>>334579315
That screenshot looks cryptic as fuck. The fuck am I supposed to do there?
>>
>>334580464
Just follow the red ghost
>>
>>334580464
If only there was some sort of card...
>>
>>334579315
>Runner's Vision

But why? Everything is already colour coded?
>>
So, is it true? Take a perk to unlock jumping/grabbing pipe?
>>
>another game with fake progression horseshit
>have to "level up" just to unlock coil jumping

all it needed over the first one was just more of everything especially refined level design, more running immersion, and maybe some fine tuning of the camera and controls for stuff like turn jumping. now they add a bunch of trash to ui and just proceed to fuck it all up.

what a shame.
>>
>>334580381
>In fact it had a big unskippable tutorial chapter at the beginning.
For starters, tutorial at the beginning of Mirrors Edge was completely skippable. Maybe you are thinking of the first level, which did ease you into the gameplay, but that is just how well designed first levels should work.
Second of all, there are problems, most notably with sacrificing artistic direction to redundant no moron left behind policy. Original game had an incredibly elegant way of showing you the way forward, by using the red paint system. It was possible to turn it of, but it really was one of the most elegant direction systems you could find in a game like this. Mirror's Edge two disposed of that system (I guess implementing into an open world would be too much work), instead providing you with a floating fucking guide. Just like quite apparently, it would be too presumptuous to assume player can LEARN that red door = way forward. Instead, a MASSIVE FUCKING BUTTON PROMPT pops up: making it simultaneously more patronizing, and actually more difficult to spot in a hurry.

>>334580452
The original story wasn't strong, it was an ABSOLUTE FUCKING TRIPE. That said, it wasn't hammered into your face, and while everything in it was generic, boring and dull, it wasn't flat out revolting.
>>
>>334579315
It's fucking EA, of course not. I hope it fucking bombs.

What this guy said >>334580251
>>
>>334580251 ME2

Damn, now we have 2 horrible ME2s.

Thanks, EA.
>>
>>334580628
Runner's vision IS the color coding.
>>
>>334581031
I don't think it has a 2 at the end. Marketing research decided that people don't like titles with numbers at the end.
>>
File: 1460773525451.png (293 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1460773525451.png
293 KB, 512x384
The FUCKING WONDERFUL thing about upgrade systems in open world games is that there can never be any sections of the game that actually require intelligent use of your new abilities because it would lock out players who didn't choose that upgrade path or use the system at all.
>>
>>334581101
>Marketing research decided that people don't like titles with numbers at the end.
Uh... no?
>>
>>334579315
You can turn off the red ghost shit. Stop being autistic.
>>
>>334581223
Smart thing to do would be to force them to choose certain upgrades at certain points, and then after those points, you start implementing them more into the game. Then again, you probably don't care about the solution, because you just want to complain, 'cause we're on /v/.
>>
>>334581031

>ME2
>ME:C
>muh catalyst
>>
>>334581223
It's a fucking parkour game. Either you can flip around on walls or you die. The system is stupid by default.
>>
>>334579315
You're missing the red trail to follow, but that's not present in the image.
>>
Not even gonna waste my time to pirate it. Not sure why I had any hope for a decent sequel to begin with.
>>
>>334581750
>You're missing the red trail to follow, but that's not present in the image.
Actually, the red trail is no longer present in the game. Some objects do turn read when you get close, but others don't, and you frequently HAVE to rely on the guide instead.
>>
>>334580834
>The original story wasn't strong, it was an ABSOLUTE FUCKING TRIPE. That said, it wasn't hammered into your face, and while everything in it was generic, boring and dull, it wasn't flat out revolting.

Tripe is a bit of a strong word, but yeah, it was nothing special. And I think the very light story actually worked in the game's favor. It focused on the running and the locations.

Now a AAA game has to have unlocks, crafting, cinematics, ziplnes, hookshots, etc. It's all pointless bullshit.
>>
>>334582113
>Tripe is a bit of a strong word, but yeah, it was nothing special.
I don't think so. It was actually really, really bad. Half of it did not even make sense. As far as story goes, it was terrible. But: the game was fairly story light. Now: not much of a story does not make the story itself bad, it merely makes the game less suffer despite the story being bad.
>>
>>334582219
>It was actually really, really bad.
What was so bad about it? I barely remember it, but I don't recall it being bad.
>>
File: 1367069183901.gif (972 KB, 400x297) Image search: [Google]
1367069183901.gif
972 KB, 400x297
>>334581621
Holy shit, didn't even make the connection.
Makes me wonder if that's on purpose.
>>
>>334582303
>What was so bad about it?
For starters, it absolutely failed to marry the settings and the initial player role (e.g. the city and the runners) to the rest of the plot.
Second of all, the characters were awful and had absolutely no space to actually assert themselves. The game threw in half-baked noir-style detective story (into a game about running!), then it proceeded to throw non-characters in and random set of excuses as to why being somewhere, or something happening. Dialogues were terrible and served to inform player of things not being told to him, rather than telling him something.
The final reveal and twist was quite literally "we wen't through all of the cast except one guy, so we will take this one guy and reveal he is the villain: not because it makes any fucking sense, but because he is quite literary the only character that did not have either died or had a reveal of some sort".
It was one giant mess of stupidity. Luckily it was so divorced from the actual gameplay that people did not even notice.
>>
File: 1460843996899s.jpg (4 KB, 208x250) Image search: [Google]
1460843996899s.jpg
4 KB, 208x250
>open world
>rpg elements in a game that is not an rpg
>graphics stagnated, looks like ME from 7 years ago
>focus on story that will be shit anyways
>no textures, just glowing neon lights
>>
File: 1403378546321.png (124 KB, 616x725) Image search: [Google]
1403378546321.png
124 KB, 616x725
>watch gameplay video
>the only part I liked is when Faith reaches the city, the camera pans towards the skyline, the Mirror's Edge: Catalyst logo appears in the sky and Solar Fields music starts playing.

This was 10 seconds of a 15 minute video
>>
File: dsadas.jpg (45 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
dsadas.jpg
45 KB, 240x240
I can't believe how much they fucked it up.

Just do the exact same thing with the exact same gameplay and core mechanics, just with new levels and cleaned up graphics, and everyone'd be happy.

Like, seriously. It's like they are actively trying to fuck this up. Jesus.
>>
>>334582925
You're giving me opinions without examples.
>characters were awful
>dialogues were terrible

> inform player of things not being told to him, rather than telling him something
What the fuck does that even mean?

What's your example of a good vidya story then?
>>
>>334581487
>B-B-BUT YOU CAN TURN IT OFF!!!11

because that worked so well for other games with retarded "features" the games were designed around
>>
>press rt to do everything
>>
>>334583398

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X12pufGebT8&t=18m30s
>>
>>334583220
>leveling up/skill points are rpg elements
not really
>>
>e3 2014 video
>"we are redesigning the role of the runners"
>"we are creating faith for a new generation"

that's when you knew it was doomed
>>
>>334583558
someone post that comic that compares assassins creed and first mirrors edge parkour controls
>>
File: burns.jpg (87 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
burns.jpg
87 KB, 300x300
>>334579315
Runner's Vision
>>
File: 1352321881629.jpg (15 KB, 336x229) Image search: [Google]
1352321881629.jpg
15 KB, 336x229
This is amazing.

Mirror's Edge was a very flawed game, but it was a solid experiment and it was easily in my top 5 games for that year.

Then they do this to it, I thought experiments were meant to be learned from.
>>
But does it still have those absolutely stunning textures and the beautiful, clean, and minimalistic environments?

Screenshots of the first game still look gorgeous and are regularly posted in screenshot threads even these days. Please tell me the new game will look just as good. Please.
>>
>>334583952
You're assuming modern game devs can learn on past mistakes. Especially AAA devs like EA.
>>
File: milky goodness.jpg (90 KB, 592x524) Image search: [Google]
milky goodness.jpg
90 KB, 592x524
>Are you looking forward to the modern AAA game take on Mirror's Edge?
>>
>>334584090
Well it's not prebaked anymore, so the textures probably won't be as good.

The art design looks ace though. Sadly, by the looks of it, it might be the only good thing from this game. And maybe the music, who knows.
>>
>>334579315
>denuvo
no
>>
File: 1283828624357.jpg (41 KB, 480x499) Image search: [Google]
1283828624357.jpg
41 KB, 480x499
>>334584272
>The art design looks ace
Come on
>>
>>334583952
Well, they did learn. It wasn't accessible enough, so they made it easier for everyone.
Characters weren't fleshed out, so they now have the cool tropes running, so everyone knows the characters as soon as they step on screen.
The story was barely there, so we make a loud and obvious one and add some BOOM and shit, so peoples' attention spans aren't tested too much.

We're only sorry we couldn't make a male PC, because we fear we're alienating a lot of our possible audience niches. But we tried to get as close to one as possible.
>>
Man I knew that they would fuck it up but come on.
>>
>>334584393
Looks fine from what I've seen.

I mean, yeah, it's not as good as the first game, looks like they went a bit too hard on the whole futuristic thing, like the cyber cops and whatnot, not as subdued as the first one, sure, but it's not what I'd call ugly.
>>
>>334583451
>characters were awful
The fact that you successfully forgot everything about the story (including the characters) alone if enough of an example. The most endemic issue with Mirror's Edge characters was a LACK of character, in fact. How am I supposed to give examples of things that simply aren't there? What kind of character did the blonde chick have outside of "hurr durr I'm a traitor"? What were here motives? What was her personality like?

>dialogues were terrible
Again, same issue. Remember the first encounter with the guy who later is revealed to be the main villain? Now tell me: what exactly did the two characters tell to each other, and what did the way they talked tell us about them?

>What the fuck does that even mean?
It means that character appears to make cryptic notions about knowing something but not telling you what the something is. Like the first encounter with the white-haired dude in the parking lot. LITERALLY NOTHING is said between the two of them.

>What's your example of a good vidya story then?
From the top of my head:
Bastion
Silent Hill 2
Cryostasis
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
The Witcher games
Pathologic
Penumbra
Mafia
The Longest Journey
Grim Fandango
>>
>>334584530
It's not ugly, modern AAA games aren't ugly, but I'm still pissed about the generic futuristic setting.
>>
>>334579315
Well, to be fair.

It IS the tutorial.
>>
>>334583942
RV wasn't that annoying in the first game
>>
File: header.jpg (45 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
45 KB, 460x215
you mean this one?
>>
>>334583610
Hm...unavoidable combat? Seems like you can't escape the arena the game makes out of meeting an enemy.
Lots of minor inconsistencies, bad and annoying dialogue, horrible AI (beta? Eh, I believe it when I see it.) and bad combat in general, horrible character designs, some illogical/unnatural level design.
The world feels very empty, strangely worse so than the first game. Maybe I'm remembering citizens on the ground levels that weren't there?
"Fabled Faith". Fuck off, EA, stop making your MCs so all important. Present a coherent and interesting story, instead of grandeur.
All in all a bit too generic, in terms of characters and story progression/presentation, for what it could be.

Overall, ignoring the tutorialesque shit everywhere, presentation isn't that different to the first game, but it feels slightly off. Most importantly the gameplay, the parkouring. This is from viewing only, though.
>>
File: 1340102585686.gif (1 MB, 224x178) Image search: [Google]
1340102585686.gif
1 MB, 224x178
>>334583610
>She couldn't have survived that
>grunts several times when he says it

This is infuriating. The delivery just as much as the content. Fucking aggravating.
>>
>>334583610
Looks like less fun Dying Light
>>
File: remember me.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
remember me.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Now I'm increasingly sure someone will dig this back up and remake it.
>>
File: Kill me now.png (238 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
Kill me now.png
238 KB, 420x420
>>334583610
>all that self chatter explaining how you're supposed to be feeling
>>
>>334585516
I think there's a couple of ai here and there

But you definitely get the feel of there being people around. Like you're just in the office straight after office hours, or it's a weekend. It's empty but that feels okay for ME1.
Or atleast it did for me.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.