[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Sonic franchise doomed to forever wallow in mediocrity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1
File: 39764_orig[1].jpg (161 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
39764_orig[1].jpg
161 KB, 1280x720
Is the Sonic franchise doomed to forever wallow in mediocrity and buggy games? What is so fucking hard about making a decent sonic game? Why didn't they build off of what made Generations kinda fun?
>>
>>334515172
>Is the Sonic franchise doomed to forever wallow in mediocrity and buggy games?
Yes.

>What is so fucking hard about making a decent sonic game?
They keep coming up with dumbass "innovative" ideas instead of sticking to what works.

>Why didn't they build off of what made Generations kinda fun?
They're stupid as hell. Sonic Team hasn't even done shit since Lost World. They are lazy incompetent fuckheads.
>>
Yes. Focusing on level design and mechanics. Because they were incapable of focusing on level design with the mechanics they had been fine tuning.
>>
They need to go back to Adventure physics.
>>
>>334515172
>Sega
>2016
Yep.
>>
>>334516361
The Adventure games were already broken as shit. The only thing they had going for them is nostalgia, but they were pretty damn bad.
>>
While we're here, maybe I can recommend a fun sonic unleashed LP by pokecapn
It's from the days before LP became shit, so as a result it's a ton of fun to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0trhtcaSy8&index=1&list=PLPZd8MPtv0vhqW71OnAbczr5yKSNBSZyg
His sonic 06 LP is legendary too
>>
>>334515172
>Is the Sonic franchise doomed to forever wallow in mediocrity and buggy games?
Mediocre maybe, but I don't think they've been too buggy after 06.

Could be lack of talent, time, budget, unclear direction of what Sonic should be from the devs, shattered fanbase leading to mixed understanding of what fans want (which is their fault). It's probably a bunch of problems.

>Why didn't they build off of what made Generations kinda fun?
They probably got tired of the boost gameplay and felt it couldn't really be improved any further. Also, boost requires a lot more work to create larger levels and decisions about what else they can add so the game isn't horribly short. (I'd argue a short, but replayable game is better than a longer game with filler)
>>
>>334515172
Yes. They keep reinventing the wheel. Adding stupid new characters or changing then out right like knuckles missing leg day for example. I know I'll get shit for this but they really should go back to the SatAM and Archie comic
Sonic for story inspiration and keep the gameplay similar to generations.
>>
>>334516992
Sonic Boom is pretty buggy, but it's not even a sonic team game so I guess at this point there's no one to blame anymore
>>
>>334517185
I forgot about Sonic Boom, but yeah that was buggy, but for the most part, Sonic Team's games have been polished mostly.

>I guess at this point there's no one to blame anymore
You can still blame SEGA, Big Red Button is around still, barely.
>>
>>334517703
I just hope that when sega croaks the rights of this franchise go to someone that isn't nintendo.
>>
>>334517871
SEGA SAMMY won't croak.
>>
>>334518220
>Sega won't die
>Konami won't die
>Squeenix won't die
>Capcom won't die
>they're all fucking shit nowadays
Fuck that godforsaken country.
>>
>>334518584
Blame Japs addiction to pachinko and the fact that the arcade scene didn't completely die in Japan.
>>
>>334516992
>They probably got tired of the boost gameplay and felt it couldn't really be improved any further.
Nobody wants the causal boost gameplay.
>>
>>334518963
Plenty of people liked the boost gameplay, me included.
>>
>>334518963
What better implementation was there for 3d sonic games than that?
>>
>>334515172
Pretty much. It is embarrassing how Sonic Team has yet to make a 3d Sanic that isn't a complete mess
>>
>>334519082
Colors and Generations was alright
>>
>>334518963
How is boost casual? You can't just press boost to win the levels at least not in Generations. You have to react quickly if you want to boost. To me boosting takes more skill.
>>
>>334519079
There's this idea that 3D Sonic should be exactly like 2D Sonic i.e. emphasis on physics to gain speed rather than pressing a button.

The problem being that I don't think 2D Sonic can work in 3D. I actually can't think of a lot of examples of 2D gameplay translating to 3D gaemplay well. 3D Mario plays very differently from 2D Mario (the former being more about space navigation and exploration, the latter more about arcade-style platforming challenges) and 3D Ninja Gaiden plays very differently from 2D Ninja Gaiden.

To be honest, I'm not sure if we'll see another Sonic game any time soon. SEGA is doubling down on the mobile market these days.
>>
>>334519052
Than you are part of the problem with the franchise.

>>334519079
Not pressing one button to complete an entire stage.
>"ITS NOT JUST ONE BUTTON!"
Moving the control stick occasionally left/right and pushing a button to slide isn't a good argument; YOU ARE STILL PUSHING THE BOOST BUTTON.

>>334519242
>You have to react quickly if you want to boost. To me boosting takes more skill.
>To me boosting takes more skill.
Get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>334519643
I wish the mobile market would fucking die, but it's only gonna get bigger. Fuck everything.
>>
I liked the gameplay of Lost World, just kind of wish that it wasn't all Mario Galaxy weird gravity style levels.

There's more control over Sonic which was lacking in 3D Generations style Sonic, which means platforming doesn't work well.

So, a combination of Lost World and Generations control schemes would be perfect.
>>
>>334519780
What's your suggestion then? There's no easy solution for this implementation.
>>
>>334519780
>Get the fuck out of here.

Nice argument.
>>
>>334519864
Lost world is a decent gameplay concept but it's not sonic in the slightest. Should've been left to a new IP.
>>
>>334519643
>The problem being that I don't think 2D Sonic can work in 3D.
Someone link the video of that Scottish guy
>>
>>334519643
I can't think that Sonic Team is doing absolutely little to nothing all this time, because despite what Runners says, most of the devs were people who work on the Olympics games rather than Sonic Team.

Either way, they can't be teasing endlessly about a game with no payoff. If there's no game announcements this year, I think the fanbase will break and get autistically angry.
>>
>>334519881
I don't care if you don't like because it was either too hard for you or the boosting bullshit was your first introduction to Sonic. The Adventure gameplay would have been solid if Sega/Sonic Team continued to work on it.
>>
>>334516519
Unless you're counting 06, how the Adventure games were broken? They were fine for me.
>>
>>334520128
What, like, just maintaining speed and using the analog buttons to control the characters?
>>
>>334515172
Decent isn't hard, generations and colors were decent. Basically for that to happen they just need to let the team actually finish the fucking games.

The series problem is they lost any real direction, no one is heading the franchise any more. Each game is just a new gimmick and chucking out anything learnt from the last. instead of building they introduce new bullshit that doesn't always work nicely, and then gets rushed out anyway so is also half arsed.
>>
>>334520164
Haters like to heavily associate the Adventure games with 06 even though 06 was a broken game in all aspects including gameplay. You can't compare two finished games to one half-finished one.
>>
>>334520164
Not him, but the homing attack was pretty shit. Call me casual or whatever, but the best thing Sonic Team ever did since going 3D was adding the reticle that tells you what you are homing attacking.

Also, it's very clear the games were not polished well and were way buggier than what Sonic Team have released in the past 8 or so years.
>>
>>334520164
>how the Adventure games were broken
you can fuck shit up and start walking on walls in the first level. The physics in the game are fucked and so is homing attack with will sometimes just decide to go off the side instead of the enemy in your sites
>>
I think it would be more fun if speed was a reward rather than having boost or boost pads.

It would also help if the physics for momentum was good too.
>>
>>334519643
There are a few 3D games that work with momentum.

One game that seems almost like how Sonic should be is Cloudbuilt. Now, that suffers from Indie control problems, but the basic concept of what Sonic should be like is there.
>>
>>334520905
I honestly think boost pads are kind of what did the most damage to Sonic games, especially since they often mean that you're now locked in to a specific animation or direction.
>>
>>334521212
>Boost pads are terrible
In the Adventure games they fine as long as you could avoid them. You can't say the same about Boost games
>>
>>334521589
>fine as long as you could avoid them.
>a broken game mechanic can exist because I found a work around

3 sonic fans in a nutshell. Adventure games are barely mediocre platformers. The loops and and rails and pads are just there to railroad you into another floating section of platforms. Sonic on genesis was never about boost to win. It was a physics-based platformer and no 3D game has been able to replicate that.
>>
>>334522270
Did you ever think that maybe people like both genesis sonic and 3D sonic?
>>
>>334523560
I still enjoy Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, despite their problems.
>>
>replaying Sonic Heroes
>get to the Egg Fleet
>that feeling of glory as you freefall through an armada of battleships thousands of feet off the ground, blowing up half of them
>>
>>334515172
Sonic is pretty much the anti Mario. While Mario games keep the same formula and play things disgustingly safe, Sonic Team always feels the need to completely reinvent the wheel with each new Sonic game they make. This, in turn, has caused fans within the Sonic fanbase to have completely different opinions on what constitutes as a "good" Sonic game.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.