[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bout to play Dark Souls 1 for the first time. Any tips on gitting gud?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: darksouls.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
darksouls.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
Bout to play Dark Souls 1 for the first time. Any tips on gitting gud?
>>
>>334416091
I'm just doing my first playthrough
What I've learned so far :
>Be patient
>Don't fight in tight corridors
>kick enemies when they shield
>parry when you can

I'm looking for advice with the Gargoyles.
Taurus Demon scared the shit out of me but the second time I actually killed the crossbowmen first and I had him easily
But the Gargoyles, man, the gargoyles...
7th death on them here.
I dropped a Axe off one the first one's tail though so that's great I guess
>>
Roll around a lot.
>>
>>334416759
speaking of rolls, I have a hard time adjusting to DarkSouls' roll timing after the lighting fast rolls of Dragon's Dogma
>>
>>334416703
summon someone
>>
File: 1460711870140.jpg (164 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1460711870140.jpg
164 KB, 900x900
Don't trust Frampt
>>
>>334416703
Try to kite one of them away from the other enough that you can hit it without getting blindsided by the second gargoyle.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
>>334416091
just kiss it goodbye, the servers are dead, and have stayed dead for a while
>>
>>334416091
Shoot arrows to the Dragon's tail at the begining, until it drops the drake sword or whatever is called
>>
>>334417624
wait what
i'm gonna do that
>>
Endurance and Health are important. Pay attention to weapon scaling, the D/C/B letters for Strength and Dex, closer to A the better. Some walls can be smacked to reveal things behind them. The weight of your equipment worn effects your ability to roll. Some enemies are more resistant or weaker to different types of elements or weapon types such as slash, piercing, etc.

This is all you really need to know, just play blind. You may not 100% the game on your first playthrough but you can get through the main story content without too much trouble. Just don't be afraid to explore. Don't ruin the experience by looking up everything, only if you're truly lost.
>>
>>334416091
Don't level resistance
Upgrading your weapon is more important than upgrading your stats
Light armour makes you roll faster, heavy armour gives you poise (stagger resistance)
And MOST IMPORTANTLY, get the fuck off of /v/ before you have the whole game spoiled

>>334417683
Don't, the Drake Sword is a bad weapon

>>334417623
>playing Souls for the multiplayer
How to spot the autist
>>
>>334417194
He wants to git gud, not git a dick in his throat like a faggot.
>>
>>334417954
just tell me, can I actually try and take on the cunt knight at the top of the tower ?
>>
>>334416091
Well it is the easiest one in the series, so it is a good place as any to start and learn how movement, attacking, defense and camera works.
>>
>>334416703
Focus on one until it's dead then do the other. When the 2nd shows, try to kite one away from the other. The 2nd usually does a lot of fire breath attacks, use that time to wail on the 1st.

Ds2 has you fighting like 5 of those damn things at once so by comparison belfry is ez. I mean hell, the 2nd gargoyle only has like half hp.

If you're still dieing too much and just can't get it reroll a sorcerer
>>
>>334417683
its fucking easymode thougb. im doing my semi first playthrough (i have never finished it) and i dont recommend it. you will never git gud if you use op weapon
>>
>>334418116
yes absolutely. just parry and counterattack its really doable
>>
>>334416703
Lightning damage helps
>>
>>334418132
good joke
>>
>>334417446
True dat but you should keep him around for item selling and breaking down titanite. Kathe is only good for dickwraithing, and there are other pvp covenants anyway.
>>
>>334417623
They arent. Currently playing on ps3 and have 0 problems cooping or invading
>>
>>334418586
it's dead on Steam
>>
>>334418460
He's right. DeS had much harder bosses overall if you didn't cheese, and ds2 threw 2+ at you at a time just because. Also had tougher single bosses.
>>
>>334418747
Your fault then for qqing for a port.
>>
>>334417683
Drake sword is fantastic for early game, but since it has no scaling, it gets outclassed by pretty much everything by mid game
>>
File: 1391366616394.jpg (2 MB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1391366616394.jpg
2 MB, 800x800
>>334416091
>Leveling HP and stamina is always a good decision
>Leveling equipment is more useful than leveling stats, but you need the appropriate stats to wield the better weapons
>Rolling and dodging both have their uses, but rolling is generally the better option
>Don't use boss souls for dosh; save them for crafting
>Too heavy armor and weapons will make you slow, too little will make you frail. Find what suits your playstyle

Beyond that, fighting enemies is largely about pattern recognition, experimentation, and learning from your mistakes. As long as you're not retarded, you'll git gud at a steady rate.
Try to beat bosses solo when you can.
Also, leave your summon sign. Helping other players nets you humanity and souls, and lets you explore the area with someone else. When you want a challenge, start invading.

Also, guides are for faggots. If you go in blind, you get to experience all these "Ah ha!" moments that come as you explore, and that to me is a big appeal in adventure games.
>>
>>334416091
>Try to split groups
>Practice the parry
>Don't panic roll
>>
>>334416091
There are two serpents.
>One tells lies, but wishes only to fulfill his promises.
>One tells the truth, but has his own dark motives.
>>
>>334419254
Oh yeah I try to play blind without a guide most of the time. I did that for MGS3 that I just beat. If I got stuck, I asked friends how to go forward. I think getting that info from friends is a lot better than getting it online.

On that note, that's why I really like Miiverse. There's something much more pleasing about asking a question about a game on there and getting a response on there. It's like asking friends for people that don't have friends.
>>
drop your sheild to regain stamina
>>
>>334419545
how is it a bad thing for the dark age to come back?

I really don't know what would happen if you don't relink the flame
>>
>>334419794
The Dark Age IIRC was the shitty era when dragons ruled. The world becomes this gray, misty piece of shit where everyone is Hollowed and generally miserable.
>>
>>334418380
Did it by luring it to the flame
dropped a titanite chunk
>>
>>334418948
>DeS had much harder bosses overall if you didn't cheese
Holy shit no, DeS had interesting, but really easy bosses apart from like Flamelurker, Maneaters and Allant.
None of those were as hard as hard bosses of DaS1 even.
>>
>>334420146
That wasn't the dark era, that was the age of the ancients, before the concept of dark even existed.
"With fire came disparity, light and dark, life and death"
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.