[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pharaoh Rebirth+
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 16
File: og_img.jpg (406 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
og_img.jpg
406 KB, 1200x630
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orIiAnGFev4

Why isn't anyone talking about this game? You can even get the Japanese version for free, if you don't wanna shell out $10.
>>
Should've included the free link in the OP, oops.
http://info.nicovideo.jp/gamemaga/pharaoh/
>>
>>334288843
I've been checking out obscure Japanese indie games, both for personal entertainment and as a kind of fuck-you to the anglosphere's indie scene. I haven't finished this game yet but I can confirm it kicks ass.

This is a game where you can get drunk, and then drive a car and run over a shitload of birds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvYhXFzjrAk

One of the later unlockables is a Jojo-like Stand that you can use to beat the shit out of everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIVt94BZjXo

Also, ET reference in the car level.
>>
>>334288843
This looks fun as shit, I'm sold.
>>
It's a great game except for the credits song. Amazing gameplay, stunning artwork, shitloads of collectables and extra content, and it was made in a year.
>>
>>334289372
One of the final areas in the game is a hotel in Cairo where you can use your Stand to murder countless crazed Egyptian workers who want your ransom while avoiding shots from an outer-space satellite by flipping up umbrellas.
>>
>>334289498
>and it was made in a year.
That is insane, especially since it's mostly just one dude. The spritework is amazing, especially compared how low the standards are for indie games.
>>
>>334289498
Krobon did all the fucking sprite work himself if his Twitter is any indication. And god damn, not only is this game detailed but also solidly drawn and moves well. Dude can animate better than most 2D game spriters period, let alone indie ones.
>>334289647
Also, a little note: Krobon used "Metroidvania" in an engrish tweet because he knew that was a term that westerners liked, but I dunno if I'd call it that; it lacks the open world of something like SOTN or Aria of Sorrow despite its obvious Castlevania influence. It's stage-based, and you'll be returning to past stages to unlock new areas and thus new treasures and powers. It's not hand-holding or linear though; it has tons of secrets that it doesn't railroad you towards at all; you just need to keep your eyes peeled. It really makes you feel like an archeologist in a weird-ass cartoon world.
>>
>>334289860
egyptian hotel man getting his shit ruined dot jaypeg
>>
>>334289985
There are also lots of great little details. For example, if you shoot ping pong balls underwater they float to the top.
>>
File: problematic1.png (1 MB, 1281x959) Image search: [Google]
problematic1.png
1 MB, 1281x959
>>334290371
And if you're worried about the story being dumb gay furry drama, don't be; narratively, in comic book terms, it has more in common with an Osamu Tezuka manga than an Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic; humorous, self-aware, yet with some occasional amusing tidbits of socio-political commentary.
>>
File: problematic2.png (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
problematic2.png
1 MB, 1280x960
>>334290449
PS fuck Steam and its shitty screenshot quality
>>
File: problematic3.png (437 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
problematic3.png
437 KB, 640x480
>>334290531
>>
>>334288843
This looks entertaining for sure。 (´・ω・`)
>>
>>334290605
lol holy shit
>>
File: chara2.png (211 KB, 387x492) Image search: [Google]
chara2.png
211 KB, 387x492
Also, a little hint: there's an item you can ONLY get from right after the first boss battle by doing a specific thing over and over again. Otherwise, say goodbye to 100% completion.

That thing is beating the shit out of him while he's unconscious, despite your friend telling you over and over again to stop, until he loses his shell and you get to collect it.

Hon't worry, he gets better and becomes a playable character
>>
File: 1460062836681.jpg (30 KB, 367x390) Image search: [Google]
1460062836681.jpg
30 KB, 367x390
>>334290449
>>334290531
>>334290605
#PROBLEMATIC
>>
File: glass.png (119 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
glass.png
119 KB, 640x480
Another thing I just noticed: when broken, this piece of glass reflects your character on its pieces. It actually has multiple "broken" states, since you need to make the satellite completely destroy it to get the item inside of it.

Once again, crazy amount of detail for ONE GUY doing all the sprites.
>>
>>334290449
>>334290531
>>334290605
great, is a tumblr game
>>
File: qowfuqwf.png (164 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
qowfuqwf.png
164 KB, 640x480
>>334292251
And the traveling cases the hotel employees throw at you? They're full of clothing, watches and toothbrushes.
>>
File: chara3 (1).png (208 KB, 387x492) Image search: [Google]
chara3 (1).png
208 KB, 387x492
>>334292419
1. The bunny guy is not meant to be a very smart character and is anything but a creator self-insert; they actually make a point out of the human character in that dialogue ghost-writing all his archeology books.

2. This is the polar opposite of what Tumblr/SJW Asian-Americans do; they whine about Japan having their culture defiled by the evil whites but never take note of Japanese culture itself being a hodgepodge of world cultures. This is an actual Japanese guy acknowledging the latter.

I actually played this shortly after reading a press release from the Japanese American Citizens League ablooblooing about Katy Perry wearing an inaccurate kimono (fuck Katy Perry, sure, but also fuck those oppression-starved clowns). It was a nice reminder that actual Japanese citizens aren't as retarded as the brainwashed American ones and have some level of self awareness.

This game's main villain is a brown skinned Hispanic man and an entire level is dedicated to beating up Egyptian hotel workers. It's not at all concerned with being PC, if anything game journos would take offense to it.
>>
>>334292419
What, that's clearly making fun of cultural appropriation.
>>
I read an interview in an indie game site and was thinking of gettingit, it looks great.

>>334289372
>I've been checking out obscure Japanese indie games, both for personal entertainment and as a kind of fuck-you to the anglosphere's indie scene.

I should start doing the same. Shit that 10 years ago would have passed as an ok freeware title is now being charged for in any platform it can get into.
I'm all for indie games' success and was a fan of the scene, but I feel that with the overexposure they started to get, standards have been lowered somehow.
>>
File: chara1 (1).png (203 KB, 387x492) Image search: [Google]
chara1 (1).png
203 KB, 387x492
>>334293340
Yeah it's a silly character being silly. The protagonist is a "brawns-over-brains" type who tries to look clever and fails. For example, Andre (the turtle guy) phones him at one point asking him to help out and translate some important hieroglyphics... just to prove to someone that he can't read hieroglyphics.

The dialogue is all skippable, you can fast-forward through it in like a second by keeping the pause button pressed. But you won't want to because it's charming and well written, and well-translated too; it flows quite well in English.
>>
File: header (3).jpg (46 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header (3).jpg
46 KB, 460x215
>>334293568
I was never an "indie culture fan" in that I always knew there was something up when I saw some games by people who do a lot of "networking ;)" getting endless pre-release hype while others were getting none. When I saw Konjak's Noitu Love 2 was getting no coverage but Edmund McMillen's Super Meat Boy was getting tons (and for the record I loved both). Edmund actually kissed ass and worked his way into the anglosphere's indie clique and then got the fuck out of there and called them a bunch of "talentless animals" when he saw what was really going on. He was a judge at Indiecade and the other judges were saying "game x might be good, but the person who made this other game deserves to win more :)))))"

And I especially took note when Konjak became a Twitter tool to become noticed as "a part of indie culture", right down to getting pink hair, tweeting about misogynerd bigots and (I'm not making this up) crying about how DmC is an amazing game and the more approved game Metal Gear Rising is a horribly designed, hideous piece of shit and gamers hate creativity which is why they dislike DmC. Later he admitted it's been years since he played any of the classic DMCs and remembers nothing about them, but kept on going with his mindless praise of DmC anyway. Super fucking disappointing since I loved NL2 so goddamn much.

By the way, if praising NL2 makes you doubt my taste (I know some people really hate it, or at least they did in 2008 when I made multiple threads about it) I'll admit that I mainly enjoyed that as a well-designed rollercoaster ride and that Pharaoh Rebirth has deeper mechanics.
>>
Meh. Didn't really pull me. I'll finish it one day. It's better than La Mulana at least.
>>
>>334294515
NL2 is great, you shouldn't be ashamed for liking it. Haven't even seen anyone outright hate it, ever though. I have no idea what konjak is up to nowadays, other than Iconoclasts which looks really good.
>>
>>334295451
He's just being a complete panering shithead on Twitter these days. Doesn't change the fact that I like NL2 though; if I couldn't separate creator from creation most of the music I listen to would be out. I'll just personally be wary of giving him money for Iconoclasts now.

But back in 2008 when I tried to bring it up the thread got shitposted to death by people with an obvious grudge on the guy, some obviously knowing him from that one indie game development forum run by Derek Yu whose name I forgot. One of them was mad that "he thinks he can do games without others' help". I was also constantly accused of being Konjak himself.
>>
>>334295841
>>334295451
But at the same time I'll have to admit some criticisms of NL2 were valid; the protagonists' moves definitely lack the variety found in other games of its type (short arcade/arcadey action game focused on solid mechanics and impressive artistic spectacle) and there was no scoring system so in that regard it had far less replayability than, say, Metal Slug.

But fuck it, I'd still rather have that get more credit than Proteus or Dys4ia or whatever the shit.
>>
>>334295113
La Mulana is a fan sequel to Maze of Galious; people played it without knowing the backstory or what it was meant to be.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.