[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just don't get it /v/. Someone What exactly is the fun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: dfasss333.jpg (220 KB, 1200x650) Image search: [Google]
dfasss333.jpg
220 KB, 1200x650
I just don't get it /v/. Someone

What exactly is the fun in these games? I've tried so hard to get into them becasue /v/ and everyone else loves them but I just can't.

I don't understand what the appeal is. The only thing that seems to resonate with people is the fact that it's a game that doesn't appeal to the casual audience due to it's difficulty. Like "hey look at us, we're the real gamers."

Really though, it's not even difficult. To me, these games are simple trial and error. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. That's how I play them, and yeah, the more you play you're obviously going to "git gud" but that's true with just about any video game.

If you invest the time in it, eventually you'll master it and beat it. That's not fun, that's just logical to expect in any video game ever. You could say the same about fucking Mario where the "git gud" philosophy can also apply. So in that respect, there's no real fun there. Just trial and error grind fest bullshit.
>>
First off, I own a Playstation 3 and have supported Sony for over 10 years. I really do like the ps3.

The Demon Souls/Dark Souls games have one purpose: to try and piss you off.

Its not innovative or creative or original. All games hold people's hands these days. That is a flaw on the industry, not something Dark Souls should get credit for.

I've beaten 4 bosses in Dark Souls already and stopped playing a couple months ago. I've died less than 5 times w/o any guides. So obviously, I haven't suffered like everybody else did. I stopped playing because I could tell what direction the game FORCES players into: you will die so you learn how to play.

It is a trial by error game, and when you die, and die you will, you will have 100% of the monsters respawned. Hell, even when you save the game, all monsters get respawned. This is just hilariously lazy and bad design. My sister and brother-in-law played for a couple minutes and when they died and everything they just killed respawned, they said..."eh.......you can have the controller back....this is lame."

Dark Souls is a JRPG, like Final Fantasy, which has random encounters every 5 footsteps you walk. I'm fine with this. The reason why I'm not a hypocrite and not okay with Dark Souls having instant respawns, is because Final fantasy is designed for you to face random encounters all the time, which everybody is okay with, and you usually one shot monsters in a 20 second battle.

I will never support a bad game like this, ever. I'm a borderline professional player and when I pick up games, I "get it" immediately a lot of the time. Not with this one. Dieing shouldn't be mandatory. A game needs real checkpoints, not "waste another 2 hours killing the pointless monsters fool."
>>
>>333693218
you'll probably like dark souls 3 more than ds1
>>
>>333693218
sword fightin

killin demons

shits hard

cool armor

fuckin swords man
>>
git gud
>>
>>333693218
Because it's fun to be a single badass warrior fighting endless monstrous creatures with any weapon you desire.
If you've read and enjoyed Berserk, this is kind of a game experience of it. On top of that the difficulty gives sense of accomplishment especially in difficult boss battles
>>
>>333693394
scrub lord detected. Go be borderline professional somewhere else.
>>
File: 1421607813773xxx.png (237 KB, 461x468) Image search: [Google]
1421607813773xxx.png
237 KB, 461x468
>>333693218

(cont.) pt 2.

So if it's not the difficulty that makes it fun, what is it? The combat? Ok so yeah it's pretty decent. Probably a step above some other stuff out there in similar games but most people whove played these games, including me, can tell you that the hitboxes are bullshit. Of the three mainline souls games, I guess Bloodborne's combat shines the most to me as it's the fastest but at the same time it still suffers the same issues as it's predecessors.

So idk, I guess the combat is OK but it's nothing to bank on and doesn't really set these games apart from say Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry.

Is it the story? Obviously not. There fucking is no story unless you dig and read wikis and all sorts of other bullshit so that's a no go. Subtle is nice, I get that. Metroid does this excellently, but literally none of the souls games really present anything interesting other than "heres a setting and some shit happened and now everyones sad/suffering."

Which brings me to the atmosphere. Each game has a similar dark and drab atmosphere. These can be pretty nice but again it's nothing we haven't seen before and it's nothing that other games don't do just as well if not better. The level design is lovely, and I can appreciate the loop that From can make with ease but again, nothing we haven't seen before.

What is it /v/. What do these games do for you personally? I just don't get it. Are you all just edge-lord elitist faggots or is there actually something to these games that makes them appealing other than "lol oh so hard." ?
>>
It's basically a proper 3D Castlevania, what's not to like?
>>
>>333693625
>jealousy detected
>>
>>333693218
Your diatribe is about two and a half years late friend.
>>
>>333693218
SWORDS
MAGIC
LIGHTNING SPEARS
BOSSES
STATS
EXP

Fightan
Killan
Slayin

Its basically a 3D version of megaman or castlevania
>>
You can recognise narcissists by their projections

>Like "hey look at us, we're the real gamers."

Not a lot of people who play DaS like it so they can fucking brag about it. If the concept of genuinely liking something without needing some form of appraisal from your peers is foreign to you, I suggest you stop posting.
>>
>>333693394
>I'm a cool professional player who can get any game xddd

Random encounters? Don't make me laugh. All monsters have a set spawn location.
The game plays like and is a ARPG by every means.
Also, death isn't mandatory, faggot. If you're such a borderline pro player from the get-go, death shouldn't be occurring at all, hmm?
Have you put any thought into this at all?
>>
how about this

just don't play it
>>
>>333693394
>I'm a borderline professional player and when I pick up games, I "get it" immediately a lot of the time.
This has to be bait, right?
>>
File: 1292809627590.jpg (62 KB, 594x449) Image search: [Google]
1292809627590.jpg
62 KB, 594x449
>>333693929
>>333693474

So again, nothing really new or interesting. Just a retread of old ideas re-packaged with an "HEY ARE YOU WEARING A FEDORA RIGHT NOW? BOY DO WE HAVE A GAME FOR YOU."

oh.
>>
Its combat is great.
Its bosses are big, and not just endless HP attached to regular enemies like you'd see in something like Rift.
Its hard.
>>
Literally youre just bad
>>
>>333693695
>>333693218

So much bait in 2 posts. I even replied, knowing it was bait. Pretty well done OP.
>>
The appeal is what got me interested in DeS long before this lolsohard meme began.

The aesthetic and summon/invasion system.
>>
>>333693394
>Dieing shouldn't be mandatory.
Yeah, seriously. How the fuck am I supposed to know I can JUMP over the fucking goomba?

Fucking literally objectively artificial difficulty to be honest.
>>
>>333694268

It's really not. I'm being dead fucking serious. What is so great about these games? Seriously tell me.
>>
>>333694078

Yeah ofcourse it is

>im a fucking pro gamer
>lol this game aint hard at all
>so boring I need to kill all these monsters uggh
>there is no story apart from everyone is sad

Obviously this guy is baiting, but it's a quite powerful bait. Guaranteed replies incoming
>>
>>333694396

Now see, the summon/invasion system was definitely neat and that's something I think you could legitimately point to as something new and innovative but DeS was what, 8 years ago at this point?

So many games have copy catted this mechanic that it's not even interesting anymore.
>>
>>333694432

Here's another one for (You)
:^)
>>
Akari thread?
>>
>>333694098
>a game has to be original to be good or fun to play
So you don't like the souls games
whoopdiedoo, good for you.
epic blog, subscribed.
>>
>>333694432
see
>>333694507
>So many games have copy catted this mechanic that it's not even interesting anymore

Like what?

Watchdogs?
>>
>>333694523

Good argument. Next.
>>
File: 1458979530604.gif (165 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1458979530604.gif
165 KB, 500x281
>>333694564
>>
>>333694432
>why don't I like this game?
Because you simply don't like it.
I don't like Battlefield, Witcher, STALKER, CSGO, any MOBA and much more but I don't make threads on /v/ baiting like a retard asking stupid questions.
>>
>>333694098

If you don't find it interesting then why are you playing it? I play dark souls because I like exploring, I like sword and sorcery DnD bullshit, and I enjoy planning my strategy before going into fights.

If you don't like these things why are you playing a game that's centered around them?
>>
File: 1457884216710.jpg (44 KB, 948x1179) Image search: [Google]
1457884216710.jpg
44 KB, 948x1179
>it's the "Dark Souls is bad and it's not because I'm not good at it" thread again
>>
>>333694604

Dying light did it as well. I feel like another game tried it too like one of the ass creeds or something recently but I don't remember.

Not to mention it's been in all the souls games, of which there are 4 right now.

Point is, it's novelty isn't as impressive as it once was.
>>
>>333694792

Literally anybody can be good at these games. Anybody.

All you have to do is play it and not be a bitch when you die.
>>
>>333694628

It's actually exactly as good as your "arguments". But you know this. Stop baiting anon, the cat is out the bag
>>
>>333694507

>ignores the part about aesthetics

wew
wew

wewew
wewew
wewew
wew

wew lad
>>
>>333694898

Everyone can be good at anything if you practice enough. Maybe a few exceptions, but that rule generally holds
>>
>>333694898
I agree wholeheartedly, it's just that we've had some permutation of this thread every other day since like 2012 when the initial hype died down
>>
I was the same way for a long time OP. You just have to dive in without letting any preconceived notions alter the raw experience. Dark Souls 1 isn't trial and error. If you're cautious and smart, and have decent motor skills it's a really fun ride. The infamous difficulty stems from Dark Souls 2, which was done by different people that corrupted it. Difficulty was never the point of the SoulsBorne series. In my own interpretation, I'd say the main point of the series is that it is a videogame in its purest form; bequeathing absolute agency in the hands of the player and allowing them to come to their own conclusions. Believe it or not, it was the lore that drew me to the series. But, if it's not your thing though, then it's not your thing, OP.
>>
>>333695216

I agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I died the first time with every boss I encountered. Bloodborne, for whatever reason, just clicked with me more so than Dark Souls did. I had a pretty easy time getting through that game compared to DS1 and especially 2.

I think ultimately what's hurting these games in my eyes is that it doesn't feel fresh or interesting. Kind of like how a lot of people were getting fed up with every shooter being brown. I get that same feeling looking at these games and with each successive title I'm growing more and more fatigued with it.
>>
>>333693218
I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
>>
>>333694998
wew lad
>>
>>333693695
>What do these games do for you personally?
I like the setting, gameplay, atmosphere. Have you considered that the games are just overhyped by a vocal as shit fanbase, and that people like shit you don't you fucking autist?
>>
Let me let you in ona little secret friendo
Not every game is for everybody. Just like literally every other media. Stop trying to like everything so hard. Your life will be a lot easier.
>>
>>333699538
This is something I needed to hear I think

Ty faggot
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.