[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Core Wars thread. >I have never heard of Core Wars. Well
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: cw.webm (2 MB, 1434x720) Image search: [Google]
cw.webm
2 MB, 1434x720
Core Wars thread.

>I have never heard of Core Wars.
Well, it's a game. No fancy graphics. No quests, no cars, but it's exclusively multiplayer - in a sense.

Every player (or rather participant, since it's a tournament game) gets to create a so called warrior. Each warrior will then compete in a simulated environment and gets awarded points for a win or a tie.

>Now why is this so interesting?
Because the so called "warriors" are actually small pieces of written code. Written, of course, by the player. And they compete in a simulated memory space similar to what is going on in your RAM right now.

The language used is an assembly like thingy called "Redcode", with an instruction set of 19 different instructions.

>That sounds complicated.
Not any more complicated than other games. It's, as always, easy to pick up, hard to master. Don't wor

Let's look at an example, the first ever written and most basic, yet not actually weak warrior consisting of nothing more than one single line of redcode: The Imp.

mov 0, 1

The whole warrior consists of nothing than the instruction to copy content from a source to a destination. MOV means copy, the SOURCE is 0 (current position) and the DESTINATION is 1 (next position).

But read up on it yourself here http://vyznev.net/corewar/guide.html#introduction

We're here to have a small tournament!

Respond with a warrior of your own and as soon as we have two contestants we'll find out who built the better warrior.

What you need:
>Read the tutorial.
>Download a simulator, I use CoreWin, because it's to use and has a intuitive GUI

RULES
-Submitted warriors will hold a tournament consiting of 1000 rounds
-Fights are 1vs1 until everyone has fought everyone else
-Total score is the sum of all individual fights
-Coresize = 8000; max size of a warrior = 25 instructions (keep it simple, for the sake of beginnger friendlyness)

Let's get a great classic going.

>pic related is a slow motion capture of two warriors fighting
>>
Original post was too long, so here's a few additional words:

The black rectangle seen in the OP webm is the memory space. Each cell can contain an instruction. Every warrior can execute one instruction each turn, visualized by the red square.

Every yellow field (be it a cross or a square) is part of warrior 1 (called I DAT myself), every blue field is part of warrior 2 (called kibble-2).

Now basically the goal is to force the contestant to execute a terminate instruction, namely DAT #0, #0, because as soon as that happens, the process for that warrior ends and he has "crashed".

The crux is: The warriors don't know where the competing warrior is located, they have to find him and copy "malicious" code into it.
>>
Bampo
>>
is this dwarf fortress
>>
Bump with generic dwarf
MOV 3, @3
ADD #4, 2
JMP -2
DAT #0, #7
>>
>>333529194
I'm sorry it isn't.
It predates dwarf fortress by a few decades.
>>
>>333529537
oh my goodness
the tutorial is enormous
you probably will not find any volunteers here, unfortunately. you might find some luck in /g/, because this looks tangential to how language is set.
>>
>>333529803
I never read the tutorial, I only looked at the instruction set and the addressing modes, so basically point 1 and 2, but I think you might be right.

We'll see if it doesn't take of at all on here, I'll follow your advice and suggest this thread to /g/
>>
>>333529994
be sure to emphasize the "programming" parts of your statement. it might peak their interest, and maybe even spark familiarity.
have a nice day!
>>
>>333530212
Seems reasonable.
You, too. Thanks for bamping and weighting in with your opinion.
>>
Last bump for this piece of history.
>>
>>333529803
>>333529994
>>333530212

Oh boy, I think you guys underestimate the cancerous autism of /g/
>>
>>333530892
What do you mean? That they won't pick it up at all or go full sperglord on it and reading the tutorial entirely?
>>
File: 124.jpg (386 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
124.jpg
386 KB, 1280x1280
>>333530892
its better than /v/ in every way, in that its not filled with shitty underage new-garbage
fucking fight me
>>
>>333531680
I wouldn't know, it's the first time I'm on here, becaue I'm not too much into talking about, but more into playing video games. Thought this would be a first stop to get some people interested in this almost forgotten classic.
>>
>>333532060
dwarf fortress is still alive and well and it still doesn't have any threads here. it probably hasn't had one in months. consider that.
I'm sorry. /v/ now just clings on to whats popular and leaves behind whats left in /vg/ sometimes. of which usually dies in a matter of months. such as nuclear throne, yesterday.
>>
>>333532540
I wasn't aware of a /vg/ board. Is it any better there? Can't say I'm too impressed with the catalog on /v/ right now.
>>
ITT: /v/ has never heard of Assembly before
>>
>>333533007
It's hard to find a gaming community concerned with something that's as outdated as CW though. I can't blame them.
>>
>>333531445
>>333531680

No, it's just that they go full nigger whenever someone bring out videogames, the same guys that fight over 50 threads per days on who's better between Nvidia and AMD, AMD/Intel or [Linux Distrib]/[Linux Distrib], the same that jerk off on their Nichijou desktops all day long thinks that vidyas are too childish

But overall it's still better than /v/
>>
>>333534173
>But overall it's still better than /v/
If THAT's better than /v/ I have a feeling that all hope is lost.
>>
>>333532846
much more games, many more choices. all games with lots of popularity but not as positivity on /v/, such as league, are discussed there constantly. its very different from /v/ in that everyone likes each other,almost. and they all have a favorite, which are all on one thread for each game. might be interesting to check out, considering /v/ in itself is just a shittier pol who seldom play videogames at all. and this isnt me memeing. the majority that come here and play games just come from reddit, neogaf, or other sites. /v/'s community has long gone. not that thats really an issue.
>>
>>333534451

No not that, but there's still interesting threads and they're happy to help when you have noobs issues.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.