[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I love demon's souls so fucking much. I replayed it a week
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 29
File: demons-souls.jpg (558 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
demons-souls.jpg
558 KB, 2560x1600
I love demon's souls so fucking much. I replayed it a week ago and then moved on to dark souls in preparation for 3 but I ditched dark souls halfway though and am excited to play demon's again.

I'm not even excited for souls 3 anymore. something about the dark souls 2 UI/general artstyle and weapons throws me off.

I have a feeling i'll be playing demon's decades from now and only picking up other souls games once in a blue moon.
>>
>>333263581
Cool blog OP :^)

I'm sure everybody cares
>>
>>333264118
Thanks for reading XD
>>
>world is not connected, you choose level like a mario game
>least amount of secrets in the souls genre
>looney toons style gravity
>most bosses are oneshotted, easiest souls
>if you're shit and die on a boss, you need to run though the entire level again, most of the cases without any shortcut
>carry capacity
>no estus flasks, you may need to farm healing items
>30 fps with massive dips
>better than DaS1

nah
>>
>>333266119
>You choose level like a mario game
>If you're shit, you need to run through the entire level again.
Exactly. That's what makes it so great.
>>
I agree

i played through dark souls and just could not get into it

it just didn't have the charm that demons souls had. the music, the world, the style...

i found the areas in dark souls boring as fuck. anor londo was just this flat boring empty ass oversized castle with shitty enemies and shitty enemy placement

idk, dark souls seems to be universally more loved but it just couldn't capture me

haven't tried ds2 but i loved bloodborne

i might give ds3 a go
>>
May not be the better souls game, in may ways, but still my favorite. There is something about it that you just don't get in the others games.
Its like riding a car, you can get in a McLaren, when every specs tells you that it should be the best, you still will have more fun on a more simple car, like a Toyota GT. You know its not the best out there but stills gives you a feeling that no other will ever give.
Same for Demons Souls. Game has a LOT of down points, and still capable of give you a unique feeling when playing.

Tl;wr : best souls game.
>>
>>333266119
> He thinks megamn style levels are worse than open world despite it offering more variety in ways to go and being more satisfying when you win
>least amount of secrets
what's a secret? it's also the shortest so that's to be expected. And the length is perfect for replaying
>loony toons gravity
grasping at straws eh? same guy who complains about ragdolls?
> bosses are oneshotted
if you make a hyper mode build. The game was challenging and had newgame+ and world tendency/black phantoms once you got good
> punishing players for dying on a boss is bad
> carry capacity
learn 2 thomas it's common in many games and rewards not being an idiot
> thinks estus was to prevent farming and not to make you take HP seriously which it failed at anyway by letting you have 20
> thinks the drops are anywhere near as bad as any other game in the series
> better than ds1
yes, all the areas are actually good and run fine. that and it gets points for innovation and actually feeling like good game where it's okay for some stuff to be unbalenced because it's cool and they don't expect a wiki to detail everything about the game in a week.
>>
>>333266491
>LOT of down points

not at all. having all the archdemon bosses be gimmick fights is kinda disappointing but everything but dragon god is great regardless.
>>
>>333263581
Demon's had 10/10 atmosphere, lore, story, world building, characters, music. Everything.

Dark Souls was a forced successor that needed to be made because FROM finally had a successful IP. Dark Souls 2 was outright disgustinng meme pandering.
Bloodborne was again a labour of love just like Demon's. DS 3 looks again like something that had to be made, not because they WANTED it to make.
>>
>>333266119
spotted the butthurt Petition Cuckold.
>>
>>333267112
Yeah there is more meat to dark souls lore/setting but I really came to appreciate demon's the more I invest into it. tfw aliant was right "fight poison with poison god is merciful and so he sent the old one" It's not like there is a new age of fire. the world is destroyed by fog and everyone is hollow or dead.
>>
File: 1459186524808.gif (703 KB, 249x199) Image search: [Google]
1459186524808.gif
703 KB, 249x199
>>333263581
I really want them to make a Demon's Souls 2 but I'm scared it's gonna be the same shit like Dark Souls 2
>>
>>333267986
I'd rather they just do a remasterd with a 6th archstone. I think the game and world could use a little more but it doesn't need a sequel. These games should all be spiritual successors in my opinion. everything should be a demon's souls, dark souls, or bloodborne. no direct sequels.
>>
>>333266851
>what's a secret?
Yeah, I might need to explain what a secret is to a DeS fag

>if you make a hyper mode build
Meat cleaver can be obtained very early and absolutely destroys all bosses

Punishing people for dying on bosses ain't bad, DaS does it too, but DeS is just too much

It's not a bad game, just the worst souls game
>>
File: 1459819408455.jpg (44 KB, 497x285) Image search: [Google]
1459819408455.jpg
44 KB, 497x285
Same here, I really loved replaying Demon's Souls a few weeks ago when I wanted to warm up for Dark Souls 3. Now I'm more into Demon than Dark Souls because of .. kinda everything, especially the atmosphere is way better imo.

One thing that came into my mind while playing Demon Souls again was, how the characters in Demon and Dark have so many parallels. For example Ostrava of Boletaria and Solaire. Both are searching for their beloved father and only find despair in the end.
I don't know if this was already discussed, I'm kinda new .
>>
>>333268361
> meat clever is hyper mode

you're an idiot. It has low base damage and is only great once you have high stats, new game plus or pvp tier. that and needing flamelurker soul isn't really that early.

hyper mode is shit like morian blade+clever rats+insanity+firestorm

you're clearly a retard anyway complaining about "muh checkpoints" when the whole point is the journey to the boss itself is supposed to be hard. One of the real flaws is running past everyone to fight the boss again is too easy.
>>
>>333268758
never meant meat cleaver is hyper mode... some guy claimed bosses are only killable on your first try with hyper mode, but it was incredibly easy with meat cleaver

also oneshot in this context is 'kill on first try' not in 1 hit
>>
>>333268756
This has been discussed to death, dark souls did come out 5 years ago now.

But I agree. DaS' atmosphere is always praised but it falls so fucking flat compared to DeS.
>>
>>333269186
do you typically die multiple times to every boss? It's this mentality that death is inevitable

and the game is trial and error that idiots propagate. death has consequences so you should be trying not to die not expecting it.

the games were never supposed to be about some super challenge anyway, just a return to sensible levels with the option to make it harder.
>>
>>333263581
how do i play demon's souls on pc? i'm autistic
>>
>>333269186
> some guy claimed bosses are only killable on your first try with hyper mode

no some guy claimed you could only literally kill bosses in one hit with hyper mode. in the method described.
>>
DeS was technically my first Souls, got it in 2010, but I never made it very far. After a few hundred hours in DaS1 and maybe 50 in 2, I decided to go back, and beat it in a weekend a few months ago, and then again, once STR, once INT. Impressions:

+movesets feel great, very responsive, a lot faster than Dark Souls (especially 2); though this isn't an inherently better thing, it was a nice change of pace
-only two rolling speeds
+levels feel very distinct, most of them are good or great
-except Stonefang, literally every single level is terrible
+good music
-not as good music as DaS1, maybe on par with 2
-smaller selection of weapons
+level select allows areas to be distinct while making geographical sense
-still don't like level select, I'd take slightly nonsensical world design over inorganically choosing where to go
+some of the bosses are great, if not the most challenging (like Storm King or Astraea)
-most of the bosses are bad, traditional fight or no (Dirty Colossus, Dragon God)
+-male/female only armor (incentivizes second playthrough, but also means if I were to play it just one character I couldn't see everything)
+upgrade materials make for much more varied weapon builds than in DaS
-grass is way worse than estus

I think that's about it. I started NG+ with my STR character, seems way harder than DaS NG+ but that might be because I don't quite know the game like the back of my hand yet.
>>
File: 1457909453220.jpg (24 KB, 491x727) Image search: [Google]
1457909453220.jpg
24 KB, 491x727
>>333270349
>Stonefang
>bad
>>
>>333270451
2-1 was the only acceptable one, and even then it's worse than every other level in the game except 2-2 and 2-3.
>>
>>333269186
>also oneshot in this context is 'kill on first try' not in 1 hit
You're a fucking dumbass.
>>
>>333270349
>thinking anyone cares about what some retard who has barely played the game thinks.
>>
Am I the only person that dislikes Estus Flasks? Having an infinitely replenishable healing item really reduced the challenge for me. I don't prefer grass, but I just think estus flasks cut out a big chunk of the punishment that came with failing. You didn't have to worry about losing the items you use to heal with, because they were always there.
>>
>>333266119
Nonononon, you must GRIND healing items. Like in many korean MMOs. This is not farming.
>>
>>333271058
>oh no he played the game twice, guess that means his opinion's invalid
Most people would consider once to be enough you know
>>
>>333270704
2-2 is one of the best levels for exploration and there's literally nothing wrong with 2-1
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (373 KB, 1686x822) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
373 KB, 1686x822
Pick the best of DeS, DaS, DaS2 and BB in the following categories:

>Setting
>Lore
>NPCs
>Combat mechanics
>Equipment (not variety, but rather overall quality)
>Music
>Bosses
>Visual designs
>>
>>333271284
Most people are retarded. No one gives a shit about you're banal first impressions and simplistic (often incorrect) observattions of a game played to death.
>>
>>333271523

>Setting
Dark Souls

>Lore
Bloodborne

>NPCs
Demon's Souls

>Combat mechanics
Bloodborne

Bloodborne

>Music
Bloodborne

>Bosses
Bloodborne

>Visual designs
Demon's Souls
>>
>>333271354
I, for one, agree with this.
>>
File: allant.png (199 KB, 265x469) Image search: [Google]
allant.png
199 KB, 265x469
Is this boss supposed to be insanely difficult /v/?
Or am I just a shitter?
>>
>>333271213
>because they were always there.
Not when you're between bonfires and it's your first time playing the game. Grass just drops way too frequently from so many easy enemies in the first two levels that it's actually even less challenging than having an infinitely replenishing health item, because you can use a fuckton of grass and the enemies won't respawn. Estus management may not be an issue once you know the game, but then grass becomes even LESS of an issue. Estus is much more challenging, especially since you start of with just 5 at most bonfires and have to use one or two of a precious resource to get it up.
>>
>>333271354
he probably didn't use a piercing weapon or magic and was slashing away like an idiot on the lizardmen
>>
>>333271553
I'm sorry your favorite game isn't perfect anon.
>>
>>333271523
>Setting
DeS
>Lore
Bloodborne
>NPCs
DeS/DaS
>Combat mechanics
DaS
DeS/DaS
>Music
DeS
>Bosses
DaS/BB
>Visual designs
DeS/DaS/BB fuck you
>>
File: 1457666958746.jpg (114 KB, 884x747) Image search: [Google]
1457666958746.jpg
114 KB, 884x747
Even if you like the game, the platforming is indefensible.
>>
>>333271738
You're just bad. His tells are super obvious. Just be patient with it.
>>
>>333271824
I'm sorry you have an 80IQ and are too inexperienced to actually port forth any valid analysis.
>>
>>333271925
>platforming

Where? Apart from the shortcut in 2-2. I can't think of any
>>
>>333271928
best AOE in the series. easy to knock him out of it, but every other big charge move is pathetic by comparison. range is insane as it should be.
>>
>>333271783
>use slashing
everything takes forever to die
>use magic/pierce
everything dies way too fast

and no matter what you do, the level is a bore to look at, to navigate, and the bugbears/rockworms are a bore to fight, and that's half the level's enemies. to top it off the boss is one of the most easily cheesed in the series -- you'll likely cheese it on accident
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qutYD5UMhTY
>>
>>333272049
final boss of 3 has a pretty crazy AOE move
>>
>>333271738
well he is the final boss (yes he is). Figuring out his pattern just takes a little longer because of how annoying it was to get back to him.
>>
>>333271950
Right back at you
>>
>>333272064
>and the bugbears/rockworms are a bore to fight,

oh, another moron with the "attack everything on sight" philosophy. The big-ass bugs in the tunnels are supposed to be bulky because you're meant to go around them. You don't have to fight a single one.
>>
>>333272162
You don't have to fight ANY enemy. That's not a defense. If you do, they're shit, if you don't, then they're just a dumb obstacle making the tunnels even more dull to navigate than they already were.
>>
>>333272064
>use slashing
everything takes forever to die
>use magic/pierce
everything dies way too fast

use blunt? or stop being a total faggot?
>>
>>333271994
2-2 is borderline egregious because it makes you pick between a gauntlet of high HP tanks(And if you can't kill the Black Phantoms, you need to jump from the highest ledge onto other platforms to get to Patches) or a near bottomless pit that you have to rely on luck to no overshoot because of the floaty as fuck platforming.

It's artificial difficulty at its plainest. When I try to fall onto the platform, I shouldn't need to account for the inertia carrying me off the ledge when I land or hitting a wall and bouncing off. It's just trial and error to know which pixels to fall from or else you gotta start over. If you could actually control which direction you fell while in midair, this entire section would be trivial.
>>
>>333272394
The tunnels are specifically constructed with the consideration that players can avoid fighting the tank enemies. Why do you think the first giant one is fought at a fork in the road? So you can lure it into the bigger tunnel, run back around through the smaller one and bypass it. It's a different type of level design that hasn't been seen since because retards like you were too trigger happy to appreciate it.
>>
>>333272536
>2-2 is borderline egregious because it makes you pick between a gauntlet of high HP tanks

see >>333272568
>>
>>333272401
>use blunt?
So Stonefang is only fun if you use blunt?
>>
>>333272162
I can see him standing in front of the filthy merchant waiting for bedbugs to fly up, falling off the cliff and getting mad.

He also thinks flamelurker is the easiest to cheese in the series because it might get wonky with theif ring. when fucking old hero exists in the same game, as does shooting though fog doors.

He has hardly played the games and is clearly stupid. you can't fix stupid.
>>
>>333271738
He's really simple to understand, took me about five tries. Also, I used the Meat clever which took about 300-500 health points for each swing. For whatever stupid reason the white sword that I was given didn't do shit for damage, even though I never killed NPCs and tried to be goody two shoes for the entire playtrough.
>>
>>333271738
It depends on your character build, also every damn boss in the game is piss easy so he can take you off guard
>>
>>333272568
I did lure it moron, it was boring to do so because it moves way too goddamn slow and standing there is not a particularly strategic or thoughtful move.
>>
>>333272681
No, it's only fun once you break the 80IQ threshold.
>>
File: demons-souls.jpg (143 KB, 555x250) Image search: [Google]
demons-souls.jpg
143 KB, 555x250
>world tendency
You can't defend this. There's no ingame explanation on what it is, it resets when you turn the game off, and is forced replayability. Why should I grind arbitrary statistics such as Human Deaths or Demons Slain to have something interesting happen?
>>
>>333272860
More strategic and thoughtful than the "hit it until it dies" enemy encounters we've had in every level of every game since.
>>
If DS3 is a bust like 2, I may replay DeS.

It's been a long time.
>>
>>333272690
You don't need the Thief Ring to cheese Flamelurker. All you have to do is end up on one side of the few spots in the arena his AI is too stupid to walk around and hit him through there. Since you're going to be moving around a lot this is practically inevitable. I had to move out of the other side of the bones just to have fun. You are way too defensive of a game that is not perfect.
>>
>>333271743
I played DaS first and found it easier because of the Estus flasks though. Stages were easier to get through, and you could always go in to a boss fight with a full set of healing items.
Of course it's gonna be personal preference, but dying to a boss multiple times saw you using grass that wasn't replenishing itself. I think that was controlled better in Bloodborne than DeS, though.
I like the idea of people needing to get better if they're using all of their grass/vials. And if you're not making a lot of mistakes, you're being rewarded for it. If you farm to accumulate a lot of stuff, you're rewarded for preperation.
Estus flasks are definitely a more 'streamlined' approach, and the best way they could have streamlined it, but I don't think it's entirely necessary.
>>
>>333266119

>I rely on guides: the post.
>>
>>333266119
You really had to farm healing items?

I always had a ton of healing items by just playing regularly and using them pretty often because every other enemy drops healing grass
>>
>>333272860
don't forget to take your adderall next time? Or stop treating souls like a hack and slash game that's all about combat and not exploration?

what is really strategic or thoughtful in the souls series? it's combat is simplistic but punishes dumb mistakes hard. I guess it really pushes that 80IQ to the limit.
>>
>>333263581
what is it about demons that you like so much?
>>
>>333266119

>may have to farm healing items

I finished the game with a shit ton of leftover healing items, but that was probably only because you usually died if something got their hands on you.
>>
>>333263581
>>333266275
>Same paragraphs inbetween sentences
>Starts almost every sentence with a pronoun
>Same shitty opinion

Smells like samefag in here
>>
Demons Souls has the best PvE content in the series and some pretty fun PvP too

Movesets are probably the best as well. Strength weapons being insanely good also helps
>>
I'm on my 3rd character, going for faith build, and the HP regen already with the Adjudicator Shield +2 and regen ring is pretty great along side the Large Sword Of Moonlight.

I can do 100% damage through shields and the LSoM is pure magic damage which 99% of enemies are weak to and if I get damaged I retreat back a bit and fast roll around until my HP is back with the regen.

Can't wait to get Blessed weapons soon to make the regen even more ridiculous.
>>
>>333273313
>don't like something boring? you must have ADD
every time

exploration is great. exploration is not great when you're in shitty tunnels and you just want to get out but there are slow HP sponges in the way ensuring you have to go around or take other routes and spend even more time in the visually and navigationally uninteresting part of the stage (not that the rest is much better)
>>
>>333273332

Not him but

>that atmosphere
>the indepth lore
>that loading screen art
>all of those side quests from characters that affected purchasable items or who remains in the Nexus
>world changes depending on world tendency
>holiday tendency shifts
>outstanding level design based around unlocking shortcuts instead of rushing around bonfires
>bosses with substance to their backgrounds

DaS1 felt better mechanically, but to this day I adore the world of DeS so much more.
>>
>>333273519
there's a blessed mace in 5-1. You have to drop down an alternate route near the start, somewhere before the rats
>>
>>333273332

>most weapons in the series
>unique moveset for every single one of them

DeS was just given more love overall.
>>
>>333273063
play offline. world tendency is an aggregate. the individual isn't supposed to control it. It was just poorly thought out because players suck and because of PVP spots messing with the average.

> grind

it's called playing well. if you want pure white you can't die in body form in a level.

>>333273118

you have 2 runs of demons and are claiming shit like moving around alot near the bones is inevitable, and have very limited experiences of just how common it is and for how long it lasts.

You think i'm defense but i'm not. I know the actual flaws with the game, you're just an idiot.
>>
>>333273643
>outstanding level design based around unlocking shortcuts instead of rushing around bonfires

So disappointed DaS3 has taken the bonfire spamming approach of 2. There's a screenshot floating around that shows 2 bonfires in adjacent rooms, on screen at the same time for fuck's sake
>>
>>333273635
You've given many cues that you are an ADD retard. clearly 2-2 made you uncomfortable. it's supposed to.
>>
>>333273118

That arena is huge, Anon. If it was inevitable, people wouldn't have cried about him being too hard for so damn long.
>>
is it worth buying a ps3 just to play demons souls? maybe $100 tops for everything
>>
>>333273080
>>333273313
>>333272649
The bugs aren't the problem, it's the choice between a long and dull path to the end versus a short but luck based way to the end. The former is so tedious that you may try the other and keep failing because of the poor physics.

>>333273313
>git gud
The ultimate defense of poor game design.
>>
>>333273725
>>333274005
?
>>
File: 1383247497187.jpg (64 KB, 370x503) Image search: [Google]
1383247497187.jpg
64 KB, 370x503
>>333263581

>Actually preferring that godawful piece of shit UI in Demons compared to the God Tier developed by the heavens above DaS2 UI.
>>
>>333273871
Latria and VoD are supposed to make you uncomfortable and succeed. If 2-2 is as well then it doesn't succeed, it's plenty comfortable because I almost fall asleep when I play it.
>>
>>333274005

For that price, sure. Just keep jn mind that the online is barren so don't expect summons.
>>
>>333274005
I bought my PS3 with that intention, but ended up finding much more enjoyable games. Hell, even The Last of Us was better than Demon's Souls.
>>
>>333274020
You can run the "long" path in 2 minutes. It's not even the longest run back in the game.
>>
File: Latria.png (800 KB, 1282x722) Image search: [Google]
Latria.png
800 KB, 1282x722
>>333267986
It's Miyazaki's prized collection, no way it'll happen.

If there is a DeS2, I bet he'll go full autism on the aspect of demons.

Speaking of DeS, are there any areas in DkS3 that could top Latria for those that's played? I really hope there is. I dare say Latria's the best atmospheric level in vidya.
>>
>>333274117
What if the only reason the player goes to Latria and VoD at night is because if they went during the daytime, they'd aggro the entire level?
>>
>>333263581
The magic is too OP in Demons Souls

I just cant enjoy it
>>
>>333274020

>luck based

How so?
>>
>>333263581
I never finished demons. I feel like I should. Swapping out the ps3 and ps4 isn't hard but I'm super lazy.
>>
>>333274185
It's actually pretty active still, I got to be summoned a few and invaded pretty frequently in later areas of the game.
>>
I really don't understand how anyone could think Demon's was better unless they were just trying to be a contrarian hipster faggot. I've played every every souls game except for 3 and the only one that could even be considered inferior to Demon's is Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne blow it out of the fucking water in every aspect, especially in atmosphere. Maybe it's just me but demon's souls really just felt like an alpha version of Dark Souls before they refined and polished it.
>>
File: 1459512859729.jpg (159 KB, 800x567) Image search: [Google]
1459512859729.jpg
159 KB, 800x567
>>333274870
>Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne blow it out of the fucking water in every aspect, especially in atmosphere
>>
>>333263581
Ok
>>
>>333273063
I like it.
Didn't see any problem with it. Just make your more tense about dying (if you don't 'cheese' ir and kill yourself in the nexus). Theres no need to explanation. Stop with that shit, a part of the fun on the souls game is to find all about it yourself. Its not hard if you stop and think about for a second. 'oh that door that wasn't open before is now.. I wonder what has changed tl that happen' go look in to it.
The only real problem is to get back to pure white, while playing offline. There's should be ways. Or even online, since now days its very hard to be invaded.
>>
>>333274870
>Maybe it's just me but demon's souls really just felt like an alpha version of Dark Souls before they refined and polished it.
This is pretty much the case, but people who played it first are very attached. There is something to say for that raw, experimental feel the game has, but Dark Souls is just a much more realized vision.
>>
>>333274870
pleb.
>>
>>333275184
I played dark first and Demon's still blew me away. No other souls game has such a good atmosphere.
>>
>>333275349
Except DaS and Bloodborne
>>
>>333271523
>Setting
DeS
>Lore
DaS2
>NPCs
DaS
>Combat mechanics
BB
>PVP
DaS2
>Equipment
DaS2
>Music
DaS
>Bosses
DeS
>Visual designs
DeS
>>
>>333274870
I liked BB a lot even though I'm not a fan of the setting but imo the atmosphere's a bit lacking, only notable ones were Central & old Yharnam, Paleblood moon Yharnam, & not one of them came close to Latria.

If you said the combat/gameplay from DeS was the worse I'd agree.
>>
>>333272110
>final boss (yes he is).
It's weird that you can fight the final boss before entering 3 of the worlds.
>>
>>333275527
But that's wrong. DaS has almost no atmosphere and Bloodborne isn't nearly as dark as DeS
>>
File: 1438662125391.jpg (61 KB, 614x614) Image search: [Google]
1438662125391.jpg
61 KB, 614x614
Dark souls>Demon souls
you know it be true
>>
>>333275624
>dark is the only atmosphere there is
>>
>>333275624
>Bloodborne isn't nearly as dark as DeS
Did you even play Bloodborne?
>>
>>333275742
That's clearly what they were going with in Bloodborne and they failed. Except for pre-Rom yahargul.
>>
>>333275679
>shitty level design > good level design
that's basically what you are saying
>>
I started demons recently. When does it become the "hardest souls game" I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1,2-2, 2-3, 2-4,and i just beat the Penetrator. So far every boss has been a complete joke, the areas arent that hard either.

Using the dragon bone smasher btw, not sure if that makes a difference. I was using the crushing battle axe up until then.
>>
>>333275774
>he has no idea how nuanced demon's is

bloodbornes miscarriage and lovecraft is childs play and heavy handed. plus the NPCs are all shallow as shit.
>>
>>333275774
Over 100 hours playtime.
>>
>>333275887
>using one of the best weapons in the game
>complains about difficulty
Hey buddy, try level 5, the Valley of Defilement.
>>
>>333266119
The sheer amount of whining in this post. Also
>30 fps
and Dark Souls was better how
>>
>>333275887
>playing the levels in the wrong order

good job, have fun steamrolling the rest of the game
>>
>>333275887
>hardest souls game
Who told you this bullshit?
>>
>>333274870
This.
>>
>>333275887
pure black world tendency, and and black phantoms
>>
>>333276112
I think its a little bit harder than DaS, especially in new game+ with pure black tendency
>>
>>333271738
you're bad. he telegraphs well and leaves a lot of time between attacks. and if you need to heal just roll away from him to bait his aoe
>>
>>333276006
I killed all the bosses with the crushing battle axe +1 i found in stonefang. I only just got the DBS.

On another note, Is there poise or hyper armor in this game? I seem to get staggered regardless when i swing the DBS.
>>
>>333276103
You can play it on PC/360 without any dips or even unlock the framerate

Granted DeS wasn't that bad, it almost never dropped during combat, just around the nexus and when breaking boxes and it sure as shit did not have blighttown
>>
>>333272536
>>333271925
do you just copy these posts in every demon's thread? it's not that hard. you die 2 or 3 times in 2-2 and then you know where to drop. and if you were mentally capable of reading messenges, you wouldn't have to die once
>>
>>333276216
It has the potential to be hardest pre new game plus runs. Bloodborne is the hardest in ++ runs etc because damage output is low.
>>
>>333276108
Well the game isn't exactly clear about the correct order to play.
>>
>>333276403
Never played it, only DeS/DaS and running through DaS2 now. Thing about DeS is that in new game+ and beyond enemies DO dish out a lot of damage themselves, I just went into it, lowered tendency to pure black and knight phantoms 2shot me at 40vit with fluted armor

Standard game is easy as fuck though
>>
>>333273725
knight and longsword have to same moveset. makoto and hiltless also the same
>>
>>333276108
Theres an order?

>>333276112
/v/

>>333276151
Whats world tendency? Are black phantoms like the gravelord mechanic in Ds1?
>>
>>333276391
I've only attempted the drop once to get the item then I just decided to go the other way because it's quicker anyway.
>>
>>333274968
great counter argument, weebshit
>>
>>333276324
Nothing I experienced in Demon's ever came close to how horrible Blighttown was. Lag could kill you there.
>>
>>333276429
Yes it is.

You're supposed to (loosely) do all the x-1 areas before moving on to x-2 ones, except Tower Knight's for obvious reasons. That's why they're all opened at the start, and the difficulty is roughly constant across them.

You clearly didn't even try them. Where is your sense of exploration?
>>
>>333276429
There is no correct order, the levels you play last will be easier
>>333276712
When you die in human form the world tendency gets lowered. When you kill bosses it goes up. Some other modifiers as well depending on your current tendency. There's also character tendency.

Just google it its easier to read it all
>>
>>333276429
you can play in whatever order tou want, that's why archstones are great. better areas being a bit easy than way too hard. The later levels give you blessed mace/cresent falchion so you can do them at low levels. \of course there is an optimal order, but anything is fully practical unlike going straight to the catacombs for example (unless you really want an early fire weapon.)
>>
>>333276819
Yeah that's what I meant, I literally dont remember any part in DeS where the framerate reached unplayable levels during hard combat.

And I played DaS1 on PC so blighttown was a joy
>>
>>333276847
>>333276712
>There is no correct order

there's an intended order which is super fucking obvious, given the difficulty jumps on the 2nd level of each archstone.

No wonder the series has been dumbed down so hard, people can't even figure out the simplest shit.
>>
File: MauryLaughing.gif (4 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
MauryLaughing.gif
4 MB, 320x240
>>333271925
is that Old King Doran as the Burger King king?
>>
>>333276429
they are numbered. you can count, can't you? the difficulty increases steadily over the 5 archstones. for subsequent playthroughs you may discover your own preference, but numerical is king for the first time. unless you're guide fag and run straight to 4-1
>>
>>333276961
I went 1-1, 1-2, finished world 2, came back for penetrator, went back to finish all other worlds then came back for allant. Had, NO issue whatsoever at all, like, none, most bosses were done on first try.

No idea how following an ''optimal path'' would have changed any of that except make some bosses even easier
>>
>>333274020
Once you know the path down, it's simple.
>>
>>333277072
>the difficulty increases steadily over the 5 archstones. for subsequent playthroughs you may discover your own preference, but numerical is king for the first time.

No, for example 4-1 is MUCH easier than 3-2, 5-1 easier than 4-2, etc. Because you're supposed to clear all the first bosses of each archstone first
>>
>>333276925
blighttown is a meme. Lost izalith is worse and the level design is shit. at least blighttown is a good area, and you really can get used to the lag. the games are never unplayable like it's gradius 3 or something.
>>
>>333276847
Will look into it.

>>333276961
I figured i was supposed to beat the archstones in order.
>>
>>333263581
Why do DeS fans always insist that DeS had the best atmosphere in the series?

You realize that making your levels really dark doesn't constitute as atmosphere, right?
>>
>>333277097
see >>333276841

You played easy, no fun allowed mode. Good job gimping your playthrough

>>333277180
If that was the case they wouldn't open up each archstone so early on.
>>
>>333266119
>world is not connected, you choose level like a mario game
>if you're shit and die on a boss, you need to run though the entire level again, most of the cases without any shortcut
>carry capacity
Oh goddamn thank you for reminding me why this game is the best PS3 game by far
>>
>>333277072
I don't remember the archstones being numbered at all
>>
>>333277279
they are
>>
>>333277279
>>333277324
not in-game
>>
>>333277072
>not 5-1 for blessed mace

also 4-1 isn't even hard. you don't need to be a guidefag. it's easier than 3-1 and gives you a shitton of souls. I went there first playthough before a guide even existed.
>>
>>333273405

im not the op faggot

I start with I because desu they are both great games and it's really a personal preference. Many started with dark souls, i had just passed firelink shrine but then other commitments made me stop playing and i got a copy of demons and ended up finishing that before dark, but from the get go i was sucked into the world way more than darksouls

stuff like estus/grass debate i didn't mind either. Mostly the atmosphere and level design that I can really comment on

the one thing i hate is the whole GIT GUD DARK SOULS HARDEST GAME is legit the most annoying meme on the internet

demons souls punished the fuck out of you if you ran in like an idiot. i made it through 3 levels first play through before dying even once at a good pace too before getting 1 shotted by that dumb ass dragon that caused the game to lag the fuck out
>>
File: old king fucknugget.jpg (79 KB, 500x445) Image search: [Google]
old king fucknugget.jpg
79 KB, 500x445
>>333276925
>>333277146
Blighttown never ruined the game. I played on PC and PS3. But a game should never be that low fps in any area. It's unacceptable, really.

>>333277062
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qutYD5UMhTY
>>
>>333277146
Yeah I loved blighttown. No idea how it ran on consoles tho since I started the series last year and there was no point in not playing on PC, but I doubt it was as bad as some spergs here claim
>>333277258
How's it easy mode and how would doing it the ''optimal'' way not be easy mode as well? Progressing through each level felt good too, going back for other archstones would have broken that up, BAD thing for a first experience
>>
>>333277426
>How's it easy mode

Because you become overlevelled as hell for levels like 3-1, 4-1, 5-1 which are meant to be done at the start of the game. You'll kill every enemy in 1 hit.

>how would doing it the ''optimal'' way not be easy mode as well?

it's not the "optimal" way, it's the way intended by the devs. Big difference.
>>
>>333274268
>playing DeS for the first time
>going through Latria
>holy shit this is spooky as fuck
>slowly and carefully making my way through the level
>hyped as fuck for whatever boss could possibly be waiting for me at the end
>some dumbass in a retarded hat
>steamroll him with a zwei on my first try

I know the boss was supposed to be another player but still that shit was such a letdown.
>>
File: 1456761961088.png (326 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1456761961088.png
326 KB, 1000x750
>>333277639
>steamroll him with a zwei

Sure you did.
>>
>>333277380
really? i found the skellies to be an absolute nightmare to deal with early game
>>
File: 1280529011320.png (232 KB, 625x403) Image search: [Google]
1280529011320.png
232 KB, 625x403
Demon's Souls was way too fucking good. It should be illegal to be that great of a game.
>>
>>333277603
>intended by devs

What. Sounds like guidefag bullshit, just play the game and have fun, save this shit for new game+. Worrying where to go next is the worst thing for a souls game

>>333277739
Maybe he meant great sword
>>
>>333277406
it's only unacceptable to PC spergs. It should be better but any reasonable person should be able to deal with it and get used to it and not try to blame it for all their troubles in the area.

There are people who care more about frame rate than game design and will not play anything under 60fps it's becoming ridiculous.
>>
>>333277794
Are you really so retarded that you can't see the game has a clearly intended difficulty curve?
>>
>>333277739
>>333277794
Yeah, greatsword is what I meant.
>>
>>333277853
Are you really so retarded as to get buttmad that people wont play by your arbitrary rules?

Fucking hell, and they said it was the PC fags that ruined the fanbase
>>
>>333277797
>10fps is acceptable
>>
>>333277603
I think the devs intended you to choose your own way. Hence opening everything up at the start.
>>
>>333277961
>complains that the game is too easy
>explain that you're breaking the difficulty curve
>NUH UH YOU'RE JUST BUTTMAD

ebin
>>
>>333277746
easy to parry or kill with magic, even then the souls from killing one or two and dying was worth it. Plus you can probably find the cresent falchion.

they are intimidating at first but you get used to them. This was when demons was just a normal rpg and there wasn't some "you should never grind at ALL rule"

I also remember sniping the reaper at the beginning of 4-2 for a while for some souls.
>>
>>333277907
Speaking of great sword I actually liked it more than zweihander, flamberge was fun as well

Cant wait to make regalia
>>333278041
new game in des is easy no matter how you put, stop, please

And if I played by YOUR rules then when I came back to other areas they would be easier as well, so fuck your stupid logic in the ass
>>
>>333277972
can you be non-hyperbolic for once. and even if so, it's seconds at most, so stop being autistic and learn to enjoy things, jesus you aspie pc-tards really piss me off someday
>"hurr rather don't play anything than play at anything less than 60. i have standarts everybody!"
>>
>>333278196
>And if I played by YOUR rules then when I came back to other areas they would be easier as well, so fuck your stupid logic in the ass

Wow, you really are retarded.
>>
>>333263581
Demon's Souls was a boring shitfest, didn't even finish it.
>>
>>333278216
To be fair you'd call me a pctard if I told you I had issues with how poorly RDR ran on PS3. You're both different sides of the same coin imho
>>333278252
Nice comeback
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 400x400
DeS = BB > DaS
>>
>>333278216
>pc-tards

I played on PS3 and bought a PS4 for Bloodborne.
Blighttown's framerate is unacceptable and no amount of console war shitflinging you pull out of your ass will change that.
>>
Why are Sony Souls so much better? Des and bloodborne are in a entirely different league.
>>
>>333278371
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIE_Japan_Studio
>>
File: 1361301789640.jpg (212 KB, 419x591) Image search: [Google]
1361301789640.jpg
212 KB, 419x591
>Dat god tier art direction
>Dat got tier music.
>No emphasis on MUH HARD
>Every single boss is unique and none of them are late game common enemies being presented as a boss.
>Damage types actually matter.
>No retarded faux open world system, all the levels are well designed, segmented pieces
>That deep ass weapon upgrading system so you can make the perfect weapon for you regardless of build
>Combines all the best things about modern games with all the best things about retro games

Its the Morrowind of JRPGs. A bad dev team got together and made a fluke that turned out to be one of the greatest games of its genre.
>>
>>333278339
> he fell for the FPS meme

lol imagine if these kids played anything on the N64.
>>
>>333278481
Music was pretty meh tho, I only liked the 2 maiden themes and character creator one
>>
>>333263581
To all of you people, who played more than 600 hours on each installment, dont reply to those baits. 50 hours noobs who think theyve seen it all get confirmation for their taste and are able to speak, but dont have anything to talk about. veterans are the only ones who are leading threads like this. Dont forget that normies are the ones who are ruining videogames other poeple like, dont give them this opportunity. Lets them play the game and forget it, so they dont ruin it.
Dont talk about dark souls
dont talk about miyazaki
dont talk about fromsoft

If you do, normies will probably kill the next series made by miyazaki with their sjw pandering bullshit as theye done with nearly ALL series.

Again, if you havent played more than 600h, you dont have a right to form an opinion.
>>
>>333278465
honestly the best thing about dark souls was expecting it to be total shit and thinking sony did all the work because from softs other work was pretty bad, but then having it turn out great.
>>
>>333266119

You made all of this up because you're a salty mustard, everything you said is completely wrong
>>
>>333263581

Good taste.
>>
>>333278592
Even the top leaderboard characters in Demon's Souls only have like 250 hours max.
>>
>>333277797
FPS drops are fucking unacceptable no matter what platform, dipshit. Undead Burgh runs fine but Blighth Town is shite. It's not like Blight Town can't be designed without FPS drops.
>>
>>333278731
Not him but carry capacity and no estus flasks are objectively the truth. Grass CAN be farmed but you suck shit if you need to

Imho you're big in the console war thing and a ps4 exclusivist defending any souls game that's not on other platforms but you never played DeS
>>
>>333278592
Please go play an MMO and leave all other video game threads, your obsessive nature is far more damaging than "normies" who play "only 50 hours."
>>
>>333278865
Is this true? Any source on this? I dont want to talk to people and act like I am discussing something, when in reality, the same people have around 20-50 hours clocked, and dont have anything to contribute instead of their irrelevant opinions. Everything is boling down to, i played 50 hours this is the best series evarr when do we get the trans option in darkborne 3?
>>
File: 1454977181317.jpg (238 KB, 716x717) Image search: [Google]
1454977181317.jpg
238 KB, 716x717
>>333278585
>not listening to Tower Knights theme while working out.
I pity you.
>>
>>333278592
time played doesn't always mean it was well invested. people are so stupid I can't just say "hey he's played 1000 hours, surely he's actually done some analysis of the game and his insights aren't purely visceral or total nonsense."

I see this alot with fighting games. Having played for decades and still many people don't understand a thing about the game design, what works and what doesn't.

On /v/ I assume everyone is some faggot underage redditor.
>>
>>333278865
you realize it is just the first people to get max souls and they used the dupe glitch right?

and people have many characters.
>>
File: fuckin kraken.jpg (276 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
fuckin kraken.jpg
276 KB, 1440x1080
>>333279026
Vindictus is a good Souls mmo imo.

>>333279069
check the top of the Nexus.
>>
>>333279102
He's my favourite DeS boss but the theme is meh. Only boss theme that hyped me up was Maiden Astrea one, even if the fight wasn't a big deal and I went for Garly boy
>>
>>333279026
Damaging? I try to preserve the last bit of video game culture there is left, what do you try to do? I bet you are offended that the game has no demale penis you degenerate. You think you can discuss anything with your 200 hours clocked into the whole series? You are pathetic, as is your opinion. I have nothing left to say to you
>>
>>333278919
oh PC fags when will you ever learn? truely the master disgrace -- manlets of gaming.

fuck off with your fps autism. It's a modern meme and is just obstructionist garbage to avoid and real critique of game design.
>>
>demon's Souls pvp was better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XucL7Y9iz9g
>>
>>333279395
>Level 712
>>
>>333279026
> he doesn't master games he plays and instead just gets a shallow view on lots of games.

better to be a man dissatisfied than a pig satisfied. The only people scared of "elitists" are plebs. Casuals are cancer.
>>
File: 1459784791854.png (227 KB, 920x900) Image search: [Google]
1459784791854.png
227 KB, 920x900
>>333263581
DELETE THIS!
>>
File: 1452704429305.jpg (7 KB, 202x286) Image search: [Google]
1452704429305.jpg
7 KB, 202x286
>>333279395
>Level 712
>>
>>333279395
>Match starts
>they buff up
>They bow
>Then they start

Meanwhile in Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2

>Zone in to a guy trying to BS me turning my zoning in animation
>Or trying to drop an AOE on me
>He has two boyfriends with him just waiting around to gank me with dark magic
>Host D/Cs the second he realizes there is some slim chance he wont win this
>>
>>333279226
Its nothing like souls tho. First 20 levels are a walk in the park, nothing to do except for mashing.

>>333279125
You are absolutely right, still. With a higher clocked time, the chances that the person has actually made some thoughts about the games he is playing, are higher. Most people here are just spouting vladiwhatsoever lore analysis and talking about how cool weapons look or how cool the armor look, without any understanding about gameplay mechanics or any noteworthy contribution whatsoever. This is kind of cancer that should not get the attention it gets. I hate pseudo intellectualism in videogames, when the contributor has no experience what so ever.
>>
File: 1450140261223.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1450140261223.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
>>333279557
it's okay bro, WE'LL GET IT SOON

PS3 emulation is just around the corner, i can already play DeS at 2 fps, that's almost the same as the real thing
>>
>>333279243
As you should. I kinda wished you were forced to fight Garl instead of giving the player a cliffside sniper spot so they could pick off Astrea.
>>
>>333277145
4-1 is harder than 3-2. The skellies and stingrays are more dangerous than the gargoyles and centipedes.
>>
>>333277961

Ignore him.

The difficulty in DeS is greatly determined by how nervous the player is what build you use.

I did all of the second archstone before anything else and then went to the others at random based on if I struggled with one area or not. The only thing the game wants you to do in a certain order is the different stages in the first archstone. Everything else is free form. Besides, aside from 4 which already has a high difficulty, most of the challenge of the later areas comes from traps and terrain.
>>
>>333277145

If that was true they would lock you out until you had beaten the other areas just like they do with 1-3 and 1-4.
>>
>>333279823

Killing Astraea without killing Garl should have resulted in a black phantom version of him that periodically invaded you until you killed him.
>>
>>333278865
>used to have eleven thousand hours on one save file
>last time i checked that's five hundred and something days
>at the time i was tip-top on the leaderboard for hours played
>reformat ps3
>have no way to keep saves at the time
>it'll probably save my online stuff
>get back online
>don't see myself on the leaderboard anywhere
>they saved my awful online ratings(Cs & Ds because I'm bad at PvP) though
>no one co-oped with me because of that
>even new characters would have those garbage ratings

It ain't fair, bros. Anyways I'm glad I got so many fucking hours out of it, at the time it was the most amazing thing I've ever played, I've never been immersed in a vidya world like that before. No games I've played since came close to those hours, the closest is probably Saint's Row 2 or DMC3. I still play those often, but nowhere near as much as I played DeS, so they've only got a couple hundred hours.

Thank you for reading my blog. Like and follow for more.
>>
>>333279359
>manlets
What the fuck are you talking about, I thought this was about Dark Souls. I've played it both on PC and PS3. Framerate drops that bad are unacceptable no matter what, even moreso on console, considering there's practically nothing you can do about it.

Fuck off and stop excusing horrible design.
>>
>>333280216
That actually happens, though.
>>
>>333280216
black phantoms don't maintain their old emotions. they are just tools of the old one. When you kill astraea garl is filled with sorrow and shame. You can see it in his animation. it fits his character better than just becoming a berserker. He has no need for revenge, it's not his duty. protecting astrea was.
>>
>>333280394
>PC fags are just living out their 6'0fps fantasies because in real life they are all 3'0fps manlets.
>>
File: pcucks.jpg (496 KB, 2100x1052) Image search: [Google]
pcucks.jpg
496 KB, 2100x1052
>>333280715
I'm saving that one
>>
>>333280568

The only Vinland phabtom is Selene.
>>
>>333279102
My nigga...tower knight song is awesome in a funny way
>>
>>333271523
>>Setting
BB
>>Lore
DaS
>>NPCs
DaS
>>Combat mechanics
Ds2
>>Equipment (not variety, but rather overall quality)
DeS
>>Music
DaS
>>Bosses
BB
>>Visual designs
BB
>>
>>333279809
Kek
>>
>>333281164
you realize to get the crest for selene's quest you need to kill BP garl right?
>>
File: madcuck.png (46 KB, 920x900) Image search: [Google]
madcuck.png
46 KB, 920x900
>>333263581
MODS! FUCKING DELETE THIS THREAD ALREADY!!!!
>>
>>333274870
DaS1 feels like a ripoff of DeS and has way worse movesets and slower gameplay. It also has mostly worse areas but it does have more content and better bosses
>>
>>333279807
But afterwards you gotta strategize. because you can't solo unless you have the perfect gear.
>>
File: total-biscuit-john-bain.jpg (110 KB, 1140x700) Image search: [Google]
total-biscuit-john-bain.jpg
110 KB, 1140x700
>>333281556
>balding
> face of pc gaming
> obese
> literally cuckold
>literally cancer
>claims anything under 60fps makes him psychically ill

like poetry
>>
>>333281556
THICK
>>
>>333267112
>Dark Souls 2 was outright disgustinng meme pandering
What the fuck does this even mean?
It's like you are fucking playing /v/ bingo when you talk like this.
>>
HD remake never.
>>
PC port when?
>>
>>333271523
>Setting
Bloodborne

>Lore
Dark Souls

>NPCs
Demon's Souls

>Combat mechanics
Bloodborne

Dark Souls

>Music
Tie between Dark Souls and Bloodborne

>Bosses
Tie between Demon's Souls and Bloodborne

>Visual designs
Dark Souls

Overall
Dark Souls = Bloodborne > Demon's Souls >> (Power Gap) >> Dark Souls 2

Made this a while ago aswell. I won't shit on others' opinions but I figured I'd post that image to see what others think.
>>
>>333283592
when valve buys sony. maybe start a petition?
>>
>>333271523
>Pick the best of DeS, DaS, DaS2 and BB in the following categories:

>Setting
Dark Souls

>Lore
Demon's Souls

>NPCs
Demon's Souls

>Combat mechanics
Bloodborne

Demon's Souls

>Music
Demon's Souls

>Bosses
Demon' Souls

>Visual designs
Demon's Souls

But Dark Souls has the best NG+
>>
>>333283609
I agree with this a lot.

I am so glad I go into all souls games mostly blind because the setting surprise in BB was really great.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-rNVnrFQDg
>>
File: 1459787523658.gif (1 MB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1459787523658.gif
1 MB, 270x270
>>333274268
Design and amospheric wise nothing compares to DeS and DkS1 which is truly sad.
>>
>>333281556
How much fatter can we make him?
>>
>>333276391
The depths you people will go to protect your game is astounding. I'm simply saying that the platforming is bad, that's indisputable.
>>
>>333285489
>DeS > BB >DaS1 as far as atmosphere goes.

But it is such a nebulous concept so it is kinda hard to actually discuss why one game has a better atmosphere than another.
>>
>>333275543
Dude, did you even play the dlc? The Church Ward after Ludwig was Latria x2. Hands down the best atmosphere in any soulsborne game
Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.