[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk about the Nintendo NX. Let's say it IS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: nintendo-fusion-nx.jpg (244 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-fusion-nx.jpg
244 KB, 1191x670
Let's talk about the Nintendo NX.

Let's say it IS a console/portable hybrid like pic related. It comes with an HDMI dongle using the same broadcom tech the Wii U streams with. You can plug it into your TV for local multiplayer or larger-screen single player gaming.

In order to push 720p at Wii U like graphics, Nintendo has to go with a very expensive, high-class ARM Chip. They also have to shell out for one hell of a battery. It's not impossible, but:

1. It's not selling for less than $400 (and Nintendo will take a loss at that). The ARM chip, dual LCDs and battery are too expensive.

2. It's not emulating Wii U games, despite having identical looking hardware. It's just too different architecturally to pull off that feat, and it doesn't have that level of horsepower.

3. On that note, it definitely doesn't have the level of horsepower to substantially outperform the PS4. No way, no how.

Would I still buy the fuck out of such a system? Yes, yes I would. But I'm a proud Wii U owner.
>>
File: nx.png (220 KB, 1304x1192) Image search: [Google]
nx.png
220 KB, 1304x1192
>>331709012
>Let's say it IS a console/portable hybrid like pic related. It comes with an HDMI dongle using the same broadcom tech the Wii U streams with. You can plug it into your TV for local multiplayer or larger-screen single player gaming.
it's not cuck
>>
I wouldn't be very interested in a "hybrid" because I don't play handhelds. I'd rather not have to be forced to buy a screen+battery that I wouldn't use and have the power constrained to make sure it runs cool enough inside the plastic shell they stick it in.
>>
>>331709012
Here's what we think we know about the Nintendo's goals for the NX:

1. A brand new, revolutionary feature that Nintendo is terrified its competition will copy.

2. A price point lower than the failed 3DS or Wii U launches (~$200?)

3. A different strategy than the Wii U.

What are looking at? Probably not what's outlined above.

>>331709164
No one cares about this Geno. I am talking about what is actually possible with modern hardware.

>>331709282
The only reason I can see them pursuing the "hybrid" is because the 3DS is successful--not just with consumers, but with devs. They might want to piggyback off that success to secure the future of their next home console.

But it's probably prohibitively expensive.
>>
>>331709409
The 3DS is successful with devs by virtue of being successful with consumers
>>
>>331709409
> 1. A brand new, revolutionary feature that Nintendo is terrified its competition will copy.

> 2. A price point lower than the failed 3DS or Wii U launches (~$200?)

Not VR. The "secret" of VR has been out for awhile and cheap VR is even more painful than the 3DS.

Get stoked for cheap gimmicks.
>>
>>331709409
>A brand new, revolutionary feature that Nintendo is terrified its competition will copy
This is where the dread sets in.
>>
It's going to be a handheld, it has to be.

They don't have the vigor to try and break into the console market again especially in its current state which leans heavily into Sony's grip.

They know how to do handhelds and that's where I think the NX will stay.
>>
>>331709943
I agree with this. Besides, the 3ds is over 5 years old. Time to replace it.
>>
>>331709587
I'd also argue by virtue of ARM and by virtue of being pretty much the same UI as the DS

>>331709752
>>331709812
Agree completely. I'd say 2:1 I'd prefer the imaginary Wii U / DS hybrid to whatever cheap revolutionary feature Nintendo has cooked up.

>>331709943
One thing that IS cheap is the broadcom tech. A streaming HDMI dongle would add about $20 to the price. That means the handheld has to be able to push at least 720p--but it probably has to do that at this point anyway.

That only gets you larger screen single-player, of course--local multiplayer will also require a considerable investment in horsepower. But it'd be a surprising omission in my mind.
>>
>>331709012
>Let's say it IS a console/portable hybrid
It's not. "NX" is the ecosystem. The portable is a Vita-or-higher level handheld, the console is Xbone-or-higher. They share architecture and the NX ecosystem allows simple porting from one to the other, with instant built-in downscaling and suchlike. They probably have AA and AF and shit built into the NX ecosystem for devs to port with a push of a button.

And if devs want to add more oomph or customize their individual experiences, they can just code their own algorithms or tweak the portable / console settings to suit their needs.

It's like how you can force AA and suchlike directly through your graphics card even if the game you're running doesn't offer any options of that sort. The NX ecosystem has access to key points of the render pipeline so that it can easily change settings on the fly.

All the devs have to do is make a few game logic changes or low-poly low-res models for the more crucial assets, and everything else is taken care of.
>>
File: Freeform NX.jpg (32 KB, 637x801) Image search: [Google]
Freeform NX.jpg
32 KB, 637x801
What do people think of this nightmare?

Granted, we know it's fake. But:

1. Nintendo has an existing relationship with SHARP, who is making freeform LCDs.

2. That patent is a thing.
>>
This doesn't seem that different from the failed Vita / PS4 crossplay strategy. Slightly better implemented, maybe.
>>
They are literally selling us the wiiu again.

This time the wiiu gamepad will be a fucking handheld. Obviously more streamlined. But it will literally be this.

The handheld will display at 480p like the gamepad. And the console will display 720p/1080p like wiiu.

Its the fucking WiiU but the gamepad is a handheld you can walk around with. Transfer saves. And games can be cross shared if bought digitally.
>>
>>331710623
How are you connecting the portable to whatever hypothetical processing unit is giving you 720p on the console?
>>
File: FO3qvA6.jpg (258 KB, 1400x750) Image search: [Google]
FO3qvA6.jpg
258 KB, 1400x750
>>331710491
It's honestly terrifying. You also have to look at that controller they made specifically for the Pokken arcade game. Why make a controller specifically for the game instead of just using standard stick+buttons?

Maybe they were looking to get feedback on the ergonomics.
>>
>>331710787

WiiU uses Wlan to display on gamepad when connected.

The NX will do 720p itself on the console but will probably display on the portable if you want when connected.

Portable can do its own thing when sepersted.
>>
>>331710820
It's absolutely terrifying. I'd never considered the Pokken controller but... yeah, it looks very similar.

The DS was never ergonomic, but the second screen was extremely useful. The patent seems like it's promising to slap two analog sticks and two trigger buttons on multi-touch which is honestly... a downgrade from the N3DS in almost every way.

At least your pokken mockup has all the buttons we'd need. And it looks more comfortable to hold than the DS. Is there a way it could be good? Ignoring the dubiousness the freeform screen itself, I'm going to miss the DS' second screen on every RPG ever.

>>331711120
Two separate systems is too costly. Especially if you're putting an AMD x86 in the console and an ARM SoC in the portable.
>>
>>331711692
I think there is a chance they go with ARM in both form factors [if there are two form factors]. Sony and Microsoft were both looking at ARM and MIPS before going with x86, but I don't think either had a 64-bit variant ready to go. Obviously that's not the case now.

I don't know if Nintendo even cares about having a 64-bit CPU since they haven't bothered migrating to one yet.
>>
>>331710820
>>331711692

I own a Pokken controller. They are actually super comfy.

You would get your second screen back if you connected to the TV with the not-chromecast mentioned earlier in the thread. Sell actual Pokken controllers to play Mario Kart with friends on your big screen.

I'm not WOAH THRILLED but this okay.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.