[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just tried this one today and I gotta say I'm overwhelmed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
I just tried this one today and I gotta say I'm overwhelmed by the massive exploration going on. I just went in from room to room without knowing my true objective, is it supposed to be this way? how does the story advance?
>>
The story advances by defeating the major bosses. You may have wandered into a room with a golden statue depicting 4 bosses; defeat them then return to that room for the final boss.
>>
>>331335991
yeah that's really creeping me out. most of the time I'm afraid if I discovered a place too early and that will fuck me up because I don't have that many power ups yet
>>
I think Super Metroid is a game you'll be able to truly appreciate once you've beaten it, and go for another playthrough, when you have the knowledge of where to go. If there's an unexplored area, you should look there, if you can't go there yet, then you should look for areas with a white dot on them to find the power-ups. Most enemies (namely Zebes' Space Pirates) have certain power ups you need to defeat them, like using missiles instead of the regular beam, or super missiles for that matter.

On a second playthrough you'd probably want to get whatever is easily available to get, and then go for the bosses, and before the final area, start cleaning up for the rest of the items.
>>
>>331336754
If it helps you feel any better,
you can do almost anything out of the intended order, even in almost any orderbut it's often much, much harder to do. One of the main reasons this game is considered legendary.
>>
>>331336754
You will know when you are too early somewhere. Like some tiny passage you can't fit so you need a morphball, or temperature in some room is too high so you need a new suit, things like that, they're pretty obvious. You aren't gonna be fucked, you just will have to backtrack. Also bomb all the fucking walls and floors you see, there is a shitton of secret passages that are actually not secret at all and you need them to complete the game, and the only way to discover them until you get the scanner (very late in the game) is to bomb them. That's basically all there is to it. So just go out there and explore, it's a very good game.
>>
god i love super metroid
i just cant get enough of it, mods are a must if you love this game
>>
>>331339208
there are mods? what for?
>>
>>331335685
Just use your map to go places you haven't been yet. When you get new items go into those places that that new item will access.
>>
File: 3543574.jpg (38 KB, 634x356) Image search: [Google]
3543574.jpg
38 KB, 634x356
>>331335685
>story
>>
>>331335685
The game was distributed with a guide which told you where to go.
>>
Super Metroid is a prime example of why old video games are better. You have to actually use your brain and remember which rooms you couldn't access, so when you get super missiles / power bombs you can go back and explore them. Most kids don't have the intellect anymore to remember anything beyond 10 seconds ago. They're like animals, they just live in the moment, constantly forgetting what happened just moments ago. They need to play ADD / ADHD games like Call of Duty, because memory and thinking aren't "things" to them.
>>
>>331339974
had I owned it on the original cartridge, sure. but running on ZSNES here
>>
>>331339243
mods like any other snes game
there are visual mods and gameplay mods (i think project base has the option to apply both or just 1), to make the game harder (super mtroid impossible), remakes of other metroid games (1, 2, zero mission etc) and others are just complete overhauls of the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXDFMnRgmfo
heres a video explaining more
and here's a list of (what i assume is) all the current mods for super metroid
http://metroidconstruction.com/hacks.php?x=top
personally i prefer the phazon mod, and also enjoy watching impossible speedruns
>>
>>331340210
Go consult a walkthrough then. The game was literally shipped with one.
>>
>>331340206
To be fair, it isn't hard to just remember which areas you've been to and search for alternate paths. You don't really have to remember all of the ones you passed.
>>
>>331340341
I mostly just search the wiki for stuff like how to defeat this boss or something like that. I'd rather not have a walkthrough tell me where to go
>>
File: TUUUUUUBES.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
TUUUUUUBES.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
Remember this tube.

It is breakable.

That's the best hint I can give you.
>>
>>331340652
>To be fair, it isn't hard to just remember which areas you've been to and search for alternate paths.
For stupid people it is, and then they blame the game instead of themselves of course.
>You don't really have to remember all of the ones you passed.
No, but the concept is that you are rewarded for going out of your way to go back and get what you missed. The more you remember, and the more you explore, the more energy tanks, ammo, etc. you will have.

I think this is a brilliant concept, and something we don't see in most modern games. Most modern games are linear and don't reward the player for putting in more work.
>>
>>331335685
some people dont even try when baiting anymore
>>
>>331340907
>all these items
It looks like somebody went and did literally everything in the game before realizing this was breakable.
>>
>>331341115
There's no reason to break it until you're required to go into Maridia anyway
>>
>>331340907
>>331341115
what happens if I break it though? skip a bulk of the game?
>>
>>331340954
I think you're missing my point. You can go back and search, so you can find the same things a second time with a lot less mental effort. Remembering specifics is hard but going through the motions is easy if you just retrace your steps.
>>
>>331341393
You have to break it to access the underwater area. Well you don't have to, but its a waste of your time not to open that entrance.
>>
File: 1422723682479.png (358 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1422723682479.png
358 KB, 600x600
>>331340907
odd question

So bear with me

Is it possible to shinespark through this room after you break the tube before you have the gravity suit? Like will the water end your shinespark when you make contact with the water?

I guess there is no real benefit to be able to do this but I'm just curious.
>>
>>331341429
Well of course, when playing the first time, people will remember certain doors they couldn't open, but also just coincidentally go back and find stuff they can now do without actually having remembered it. It's still exploration though and I still think they should be rewarded for it.
>>
>>331340907
This fuckin' thing. Caused me to back track at least three times.

Also Ridley was a pain in the ass. Had to beat her using a developer oversight.
>>
I just wanted to say.
I fucking love super metroid, have fun playing one of the best games for the first time.
>>
>>331343516
>Had to beat her using a developer oversight.
Screw attack invincibility? I don't think that's an oversight.

Also
>her
>>
I think we can all agree that Maridia is the worst area
>>
>>331335685
This is where we're at man people are confused by a game because it doesn't narrate at you every so often I can't even
>>
File: 1455825785338.jpg (172 KB, 850x1170) Image search: [Google]
1455825785338.jpg
172 KB, 850x1170
>>331344481
Nah, Ghost Ship was
>>
>>331335685
>Super Metroid
>story

kek
>>
>>331341717
You do have to, unless you utilize a glitch.
>>
>>331335685

I really thought you were trolling.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.