[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
with any competitive game, do you think there is a point in time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 2977614-bf4.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2977614-bf4.jpg
113 KB, 1280x720
with any competitive game, do you think there is a point in time where you reach your individual skill cap, and no matter how much you try, and improve, or just play in general, you will never be able to get any better?
>>
That's when the game really begins, when it's not about your technical skill, but about your situational awareness and your ability to predict and react to the enemy's movements. When strategy and teamwork become superior to raw skill (though it always provides that killer edge)
>>
>>330974194
so you think there is a cap, because I've been playing COD for like 5 + years and in the early stages I felt I was improving, now I just feel stuck. I'm better than the average player, but in some games I can tell when a player is significantly better, and I want to reach his level, but I simply can't.
>>
>>330974091

There's a reason why there's no legendary Big Boss IRL. Like with the knight in shining armour metaphor, the "best" tend to be blown up or unheard of.

I was hoping a long time ago, back when I started trying to play somewhat competitively, that games wouldn't promote individuals so much and instead promote teams (mostly tried to play L4D and TF2 as serious as possible but you still had elements that could dominate solo (sniper for example)).

Now we got some crazy shit cooking up I hope we wind up with a proper kind of spiritual sequel to BF/Arma/MAG/etc with new tech that enables cloud computing for physics and large player counts.
(With some refining, it may be possible to use that tech to improve lighting too)

tl;dr I hope competitive games can start fielding large numbers of players to start making it a proper clan war instead of just a 20 yard big pissing contest arena.
>>
Most of my friends are above average in fighters. I put in some time when i had it to 'git gud' but I only reached a level where I could only beat casual players. its daunting but I think there is just a different level of dedication when achieving that level. I dont think there is a skill cap just a point where you decide if its worth your attention and passion.
>>
>>330974519
I really enjoy small games of 4v4 SnD, or capture the flag, because like this anon said "That's when the game really begins, when it's not about your technical skill, but about your situational awareness"

I like strategizing, and things of that nature to out smart a team, but I also see your point.
>>
>>330974401
CoD has always been the same thing the people who have memorized the spawn points are the most successful players.
>>
>>330974091

I truly believe that there is always something new to be learned, whether its about you (your skill level in this case, map knowledge, twitch reflex, timings, strategies)

or your competitor (how quickly you gather knowledge about his level of skill/style of play and can you effectively counter it, ability to predict his movements/actions/intentions and act/react according)
>>
>>330974737
I've been playing COD for along time, and I've put a lot of dedication, and time in, but feel like I'm not getting anywhere, maybe it's the nature of the game. I might try other games.
>>
>>330974401
>I want to reach his level, but I simply can't.
That's because you don't what those players are doing that makes them better than you. Chances are, it's something more subtle than having faster reflex times or using a different gun than you. Identify what makes them better, and imitate it.
>>
>>330974797
True, that is very true, but there are other elements, especially in SnD, where individual skill really plays a role
>>
>>330974872
good points, thanks for your input
>>
>>330974862
are you playing with people who are trying to get to a higher level or just randoms cause that matters alot.
>>
>>330974919
snd is mostly about luck because you have to move around the map quickly but there is no way to do that stealthily so you have to hope nobody sees you, or you see them first.
>>
>>330975002
It's pretty much the key to getting better once you've reached a point where you feel like you're not getting better on your own. You either have to learn the meta, or change the meta.
>>
>>330975130
years ago I played with good people, now I just play solo, I feel everyone is too arrogant now. Every time I try make contact and say something I'm greeted with fuck you, stfu or some bullshit. The friendlier ones are usually the ones who aren't so great I find.
>>
Absolutely.

You have to be born a top pro in certain games, you can't practice your way there every time

I've tried
>>
>>330975208
there is luck involved, but there's also strategy in how you work the map, and use it to your advantage, most games I can kill the whole team when everyone is dead. I'm not bragging it's just I've primarily played SnD, and nothing else for years.
>>
>>330975259
try going to events and networking. how a few of my friends got picked up for teams and started playing with better people.
>>
>>330975269
Yeah, I'm trying to figure it out though, like what inherently makes someone naturally better. I guess reflexes, but I feel that comes natural. I don't see how you can have slow reflex. There has to be another factor.
>>
>>330974519
>There's a reason why there's no legendary Big Boss IRL

>implying we don't have plenty of those such as Simo Häyhä or Jack Churchill

The difference between video games and real life is that in real life the military will never put all their money and high-tech equipment on a single agent. They'd rather equip 100 or 1000 soldiers with mediocre equipment.

>>330974091
>with any competitive game, do you think there is a point in time where you reach your individual skill cap, and no matter how much you try, and improve, or just play in general, you will never be able to get any better?

Nah, unless you have some physical or mental disability then you should be capable of getting into top 10 of any game as long as you actually try at it. Those people who are better than you probably play the game a lot more than you and dedicate more to learning about it. Korean starcraft players break their fingers playing something like 14 hours a day.
>>
>>330975269
Is this how McDonalds employees generally think about everything in life? Is this what they tell themselves to soothe the pain?

Unless you're like this guy (who's miles better than the average SF player) then no, there's no talent for you to be born with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nSodg-HTU
>>
>>330975435
that's not the map, that's just a bunch of noobs chasing after a red dot. in snd you are supposed to spread out and overwatch small areas of the map. there is really no way to succeed on the offensive side unless the defenders make a mistake.
>>
Only you are the limit. If u think u have reach your zenith then ur probably wrong. It about ur focus.
>>
>>330974091
No. Because I usually hang around at the top of the leaderboards for a while, then get bored well before that.
>>
That's around the point where putting more into the game turns it into work. I've always hovered around above-average in games and I'm fine with that.
>>
>>330976318
that's what I'm starting to feel, I feel like it's a chore now
>>330976052
I'm starting to accept I'm just an average player
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.