[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone else on v/ noticed that the general opinion of a video
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: metacritic4.png (95 KB, 670x353) Image search: [Google]
metacritic4.png
95 KB, 670x353
Has anyone else on v/ noticed that the general opinion of a video game tends to regress to what video game "journalists" rate it over time, no matter what the original reaction to it was?

Why do you think that is?
>>
>>330547068
usually if a person mentions the metacritic score of anything then their opinion can go in the fucking trash
>>
>>330547170
Well I don't mean just referring to scores, I mean general opinion of games. For instance when a game is rated highly or as "game of the year", even if it wasn't originally that well received in the gaming community, people tend to start talking as if it was years latter. This happens on /v/, and some niche genre specific forums I've browsed, where a game that wasn't all that well liked when it was released but got good scores is more and more liked as time goes on.

I don't know, maybe I'm just imagining it.
>>
Because the negative knee-jerk bandwagon review party only lasts for so long.

Most of which don't even come from people who intended to play the game in the first place.
>>
>>330547068
Not really, unless you have an example.
The total opposite happened with Skyward Sword which received stellar reviews but is widely regarded as the worst 3D Zelda.
>>
>>330547410
The reason this is happening is because the new stuff is much worse than the old stuff, and also a good dose of nostalgia.
You'll understand better when you are older. If you are already old, then you are a retard, btw.
>>
File: Video game journalism.jpg (1 MB, 1999x1501) Image search: [Google]
Video game journalism.jpg
1 MB, 1999x1501
>>330547471
Yeah but you see that doesn't make sense to me, if that were the case the opinions of all games would rise, but it's usually disproportionately the games that are rated highly that rebound, and the games that aren't that are forgotten.

I mean I guess you could say that "the video game journalists are just right and objective" but the truth is we all know they're just glorified advertisers who are and always have been dependent on revenue from the people who's games they review.
>>
>>330547682

I think hindsight is a powerful thing and the average user gets caught up in both negative and positive hype a lot easier than your "reviewer".

Reviewers play new releases for free non-stop so they're desensitized. But really I think more than anything you've seen a few instances where your statement holds true due to coincidence but there's also most likely thousands of cases where your statement doesn't hold true.
>>
>>330547068
>>330547410
What was GOTY 2014 and 2012?
2013 had Last of Us and even /v/ was part of the train that liked it. There were just lots of anti fags.
2015 had Witcher 3 and had lots of people in that train.
>>
>>330547857
Can you name some examples where it doesn't hold true? If you are right and it's mostly coincidence it should be easier than naming examples where it does, but I can't think of any off of my head.
>>
>>330547492
Fuck you, I liked it.
>>
metacritic is useful as a weathercock but if most game critics were capable of having a nuanced opinion then i don't think metacritic would be able to represent it
>>
File: Bwah.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Bwah.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
>>330549846
>weathercock
>>
>>330547857
Even if they don't get swept up in the hype, they certainly can't help but cater to those that do. Fear of backlash can probably motivate to give a game higher score than it should to avoid pissing off someone that gives you consistent clicks. This works in tandem with commercial pressure to give a potent mixture.
>>
>>330547410
Mass Effect 3
>>
>>330547068
Because the people who feel the most strongly about the game in one way or another are the first to react online. Often a case of a vocal minority.
>>
>Dusted a week ago
>Already a thin layer of dust on everything
Jesus fucking christ I'd buy an air filter if it wasn't for the fact that you have to constantly buy new filters
>>
>>330550726
For the most part reviews liked Mass effect 3, and I dare say that recently it's been getting a lot more love than it did on release with that "colored endings" stuff.
>>330550845
What? A good air filter is something you only have to replace after at least a year. You could also just get one of those ionic filters that magnetizes the dust out of the air or something.
>>
>>330551250
Air filters are fucking expensive as well, and depending on the size you need to replace the filter every couple months to a year.

Ionic filters don't remove all the dust from the air though as it might go back into the air
>>
I sometimes check out the official 'critics' on metacritic and look at their websites. Half the time they are people don't don't even play video games and rate pop music and movies or they are just contrarians who know nothing and just have a fancy website that is meaningless.
>>
>>330551250
>For the most part reviews liked Mass effect 3

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/mass-effect-3

74 positive reviews.
0 (zero) average or bad reviews.

This is the game that caused a shitfest at release and they had to put put an extended ending DLC. This game has a metacritic of 93 (console, PC has 89).

This alone should give you an indication that there is something very wrong with both metacritic and "professional" reviews in general
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.